Veg thread please?

Veg thread please?
Vegan, vegetarian, etc.

Looking for recipe ideas, staples and such.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9tn1xxUjgWo
budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetarian/
youtu.be/l_RoKIMyP80
m.youtube.com/user/ryoya1983
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Make sure to sage and hide everyone

...why?

I've been cooking a lot of indian food lately. No pics atm. Mung dal (mung beans) yesterday was amazing, made a vegetable curry dish with brocolli, red/green bell peppers, tomatoes, and kale that was amazing, and today I made some baby eggplants cut up and made kinda like chicken tikka masala and they turned out amazing. I also eat meat and made chicken tikka masala a couple days ago but I've been eating much more vege dishes.

Bump because my girlfriend's son is going vegan

I'm watching with interest, I'm trying to make one new food item a week to expand my repertoire, and I'd like to learn more vegetarian foods that don't rely on cheese.

Disclaimer- I'm an omnivore trying to reduce their red meat intake to once a week, and eat as many portions of fruit as possible.

I read somewhere that eating 5 portitons of fruit and veg is good, but most of the benefit of that is found at the 8 to10 fruits etc a day.

More veg laden recipes would be appreciated.

Microwave eggplant with zucchini/squash and cooked lentils and some spinach, then add tomato sauce. Can be made in 5 minutes, so it's a good staple imo.

For me it is the McChicken

Not exactly a veggie topic related question. I would like to start eating kiwifruit along with its SKIN, is it true that for eating the kiwi with skin, to be safe, scrubbing it with a produce brush under cold running water will be enough?

Im confused because other people are saying
>"before you eat fruits with skin (like apple) you need to soak it in water with a little bit of vinegar first"

meat babby spotted

Fuck you meat eaters. Anyway OP what I usually do is start the day off with some sweet tangerines and oranges for breakfast. For lunch at work I eat my savory nectar with my 100% tofu sausage. For snacks I eat activated almonds to keep my brain going. Then dinner I eat a shit ton of greens followed by my nectar once again to make sure I don't lose nutrients. It really gets those meat eaters going.

Bump

Death to all vegheads. Get this shit off the front page

Grow up.

Just learn north indian cuisine, lots of vegan recipes and it's fucking delicious
Plus the spices give it another dimension

I'm not even vegan but meat eaters have become the stereotype applied to vegans. Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Any vegan bakers? Looking for ganache or any other spread ideas for vegan cakes. Anything that can be put both inside and outside a chocolate cake.

I don't mind vegetarians, but vegans are brain dead.

Lentil dahl is my go-to meal when I don't have time or inspiration. You can eat it on its own or with rice, which is even better.

Pasta dishes:
- pesto without cheese tastes just as good as with cheese. Otherwise nutritional yeast will add the cheesy taste if you miss it. You can make pesto with literally any herb, my favorite is parsley.
- Pasta, mushrooms and soy cream is delicious
- Lentil bolognese

Otherwise like other mentioned, Asian food is an endless source of inspiration. You can make stir fries with any combination of veggies and mushrooms, tofu or seitan. Interesting sauces are:
- plain soy + balsamic vinegar (or chinese vinegar if you have that)
- peanut butter + soy sauce
- hoisin sauce
- cononut milk + soy sauce

Honestly it sounds dumb but I've had great experience with simply melting dark chocolate and adding just as much plant milk as you want depending on the consistency of the ganache you need.
For a more creamy ganache, I use a plant-based cream like soy, oat or rice cream (almond cream but it's expensive af). Or cononut cream if you don't mind the taste.

It really says something about the current state of affairs when people get that butthurt. Especially when it's something that doesn't even affect them...

What is this, fagchan?

Prey are vegetarians and dumb.

Predators are carnivores and smart.

Humans are omnivores, don't purposefully make yourself dumber and weaker.

Look at all those healthy vegans!!

Other apes tend to mostly eat vegetables. African grey parrots eat mostly fruits and nuts. Elephants eat mostly vegetables.
Only notably smart predators I can think of are dolphins.

My favorite veg thing is sauteed tromboncino squash in tomato sauce with fresh herbs and garlic, it's so good on penne and spaghetti. Sometimes I add those soy crumbles from the veggie food section of the grocery for texture if all I have is normal fresh veg like pepper and onion

>Prey are vegetarians and dumb.
explain most dinosaurs then

made this vegan miso soup with kale, red and spring onions, and leek dumplings last week -

fill a big pot 1/3 full with water and added 1-ish tsp veggie “better than bullion.” bring to a boil and add frozen vegan dumplings, simmer that for 3-5 minutes. then i added chopped lacinato kale (3 stalks, de-ribbed), ½ sliced red onion, and 1 tsp grated ginger. take out about ½ cup of the broth out of the pot stir in 2-3 tbsp red miso until it dissolves. once the dumplings are fully heated up, turn off the heat and stirred in the miso, and then sprinkle on 2 chopped spring onions.

My go-to, though, is usually some kind of lentil or chickpea stew.

Sauté onions and garlic with carrots and celery until soft, then add raw lentils (brown or lentils du puy, which are God Tier) or canned/pre-cooked chickpeas, spices (cumin/coriander/garam masala/turmeric, etc for Indian flavors, thyme/rosemary/oregano for French flavors), and veggie broth. Cook until the lentils are done.

You can make endless variations on this — adding brown rice or farro to make it heartier, adding different veggies (sweet potatoes, peppers, butternut squash) or greens (chard, spinach, kale, etc).

It's delicious, you have tons of leftovers, and you can make a giant pot for super cheap.

Yeah, lots of (weird) people eat the skin. Just wash it like you'd do with any other fruit/veg and chomp.

vegans eternally and irrevocably BTFO!

Unless if its noticeably dirty cold water is fine

I love eating kiwis like apples

Bump

Soy-chorizo red lentil chili:

Ingredients:

Olive oil
1 large bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
an equal amount of carrot, diced
3 or 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 jalapeño peppers, de-seeded and minced
2/3 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 small (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (not drained)
2 cans mixed chili beans, drained and rinsed
1 package soy-chorizo crumbles
4 cups veggie broth
a fuckton of spices: 2 tablespoon-ish each of cumin, coriander, ancho chili powder, blended chili powder (just pour some in, taste it, add more if needed)

Steps:

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, sauté onion, bell pepper, carrots and jalapeño over medium heat until soft
Add garlic and spices, sauté an additional 2 minutes
Add soy-chorizo, broth, tomatoes, and lentils
Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cover
Cook ~30 minutes, stirring frequently
Add more broth or water if it starts to look dry
Once lentils are soft, add beans, stir, cover, and simmer an additional 20 minutes (stirring frequently)

A bullet

Ingredients:

1 cauliflower, de-cored and chopped
1 large can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 medium onion, diced
1-2 carrots (or a bunch of baby carrots)
diced garlic, minced (1-4 cloves, depending on how you like it)
1 32-oz box vegetable broth (or water, or whatever broth you prefer)
1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (peppers minced, sauce reserved)

Steps:

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, sauté carrots and onion in a dash of olive oil on medium heat until onion is translucent
Add garlic, sauté an additional minute
Add minced peppers and the reserved sauce, tomatoes, broth, and cauliflower
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer covered 10-15 minutes until cauliflower is cooked
Add chickpeas, cover and cook on low an additional 5-10 minutes

Curried Tomato And Chickpea Stew:

Ingredients:
1 small onion, diced
1 diced bell pepper
1 small diced carrot
a bunch of minced garlic
a bunch of minced ginger
a huge dollop of Thai red curry paste (idk, a few tbsp)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can coconut milk
1 large can finely diced tomatoes in sauce
1 tbsp each cumin and corainder
a bunch of paprika and turmeric

Steps:
sauté onion, pepper, carrot in olive oil until slightly soft.
add garlic, ginger, and curry paste, sauté until fragrant
add all of the other ingredients
bring to a boil, stirring frequently
reduce heat, simmer 10-15 minutes to let flavors meld, stirring occasionally

Serve with crusty bread.

Spicy black bean and corn quinoa:

Ingredients:

dash of olive oil
1 shallot (or small onion, but I had a shallot so I used it), diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1/3 jar salsa (or more, but 1/3 jar was all I had left in the fridge)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained (AKA Rotel)
1 tbsp chili powder
½ tbsp cumin
1-1.5 cups water or broth
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well

Directions:

in a large skillet or sauce pan, sauté shallot/onion in olive oil until soft
add all other ingredients except quinoa
bring to a boil
add quinoa, stir well
bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cover
cook covered, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes or until quinoa has cooked fully (it’ll be fluffy and the grains will have separated)
(add more water/broth if needed while cooking)
turn off heat, let sit covered 5-10 minutes before serving (IMPORTANT! It’ll make the quinoa much fluffier and the texture will be much better)

Roasted tofu and veggies:

Ingredients:

1 block firm tofu, drained, pressed, cut into cubes
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 sweet potato, cut into cubes
1 small onion, cut into eighths
spices of your choice — I like garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, and nutritional yeast

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Toss tofu and veggies with some olive oil and the spices
Spread onto one or two baking pans or cooking sheets lined with parchment paper (the tofu and veggies tend to stick to aluminum foil)
Bake for 30-45 minutes, tossing ever 5-10 minutes

I'm all for vegetarian/vegan recipes once in a while, but anybody who restricts their diet to these meals should just be put down.

I made dubujorim this week, never thought tofu could taste so good.

found the vegan

For me, it's the McSpicy Paneer

I have no idea which side you're defending but that doesn't change the fact that you're probably right, but since this is Veeky Forums and you're not allowed to be reasonable kys faggot

I'd like to include more veg stuff in my diet, but I'm at loss where to start. I don't want Pajeetshit. What are some easy to prepare meals lads

Chickpea pasta / sauce (pasta il ceci)

1. Get tin chickpeas. Pulverise/puree half and cook them in a pan with tin chopped tomatoes or tomato passata. Also, put in the fluid from the tin of chickpeas.

2. Add the other half of the tin of chickpeas, the ones that weren't pulverised. Also add spaghetti, that's right, dump the spaghetti in the same pan with herbs and shit

3. Cook more until pasta soft. Eat. Mmm! Creamy and delicious, quite high protein content and dirt cheap.

This

Found an Italian recipe that uses more ingredients, even though it's pretty similar. Thanks, will try

How does it sit on your stomach? I'm an athlete so I can't be all bloated and whatever in practice

Made a coconut milk, sweet potato, kale and peanut stew that was amazing with red rice.
Black beans are great as a side and meal if you're too lazy to cook.
Chickpeas have endless variations from pasta e ceci to falafel, chickpea curry, and even just added to an eggplant thai green curry.
A good lentil dal is awesome, vegan mapo tofu if you like spicy food.

Not vegetarian, but I guess you guys would enjoy this.

Grab some eggplants. Slice them, cover them with ground pepper and salt and "sear" them in a frying pan over high heat, with just a small amount of cooking oil.

Now arrange those slices on a baking sheet, cover them with a good tomato sauce (heavy on oregano and garlic), add some fillings like tofu cubes and [if you aren't vegan] Parmesan cheese, and bake them on medium heat until the eggplant is soft and nice.

Any recommended brands of soyrizo? Can it actually be good? Because the only brand I get where I live is shit, and I'd be willing to order some online if there's any that's worth it.

Why not just make an eggplant parmigiana(For the non vegans of course).

I generally eat lots of bean-based stews, from chili through feijoada to minestrone.

Also look up prebranac. It's a baked beans sort of dish from the Balkans that's just amazingly satisfying and real simple to make, basically just white beans and onions with lots of olive oil and a couple of bay leaves and a dash of smoked pepper.

Curries are awesome as well; I prefer Thai, though I generally don't have the time or can't find the ingredients to make my own paste (on that note, what are some recommended brands - I generally use Lobo and I'm quite happy with it), but they are very versatile and can be incredibly satisfying without any meat or meat substitutes, probably due to all the coconut milk.

>prebranac
Nigga that looks awesome, will definitely try it.

>I generally eat lots of bean-based stews, from chili through feijoada to minestrone.
>Curries are awesome as well; I prefer Thai, though I generally don't have the time or can't find the ingredients to make my own paste (on that note, what are some recommended brands - I generally use Lobo and I'm quite happy with it), but they are very versatile and can be incredibly satisfying without any meat or meat substitutes, probably due to all the coconut milk.

I already do this and i'm vegetarian only during the weekdays. Fucking love beans, even add chickpeas to my thai curries.

Gravče na tavče aka Macedonian style baked beans are superior baked beans, user

I think i'd prefer the whole caramelized onions schtick. But i'd try that next.

Bumping for interest, I'm considering trying to eat healthier and shit so I was on the lookout for some vegetarian meals

Parmigiana is tasty too, but this one is more like "eggplant filled with tofu" [or rather tofu] than a true parmigiana.

>being this buttblasted about someone else's diet

>t. user who buys his food in a grocery store

>Nigga that loks awesome, will definitely try it.

Just one piece of advice. Don't skimp on the oil. If the recipe calls for some absurd amount, such as two cups, don't use less than one cup. It's what makes the dish.

Not him, but try to be more specific - are you talking about herbivore dinos like Stegosaurus, or carnivore like the Allosaurus?

The only vegetable I eat

Didn't do it intentionally, but it looks like other than milk in my morning coffee, I kept vegan all day today.

I can't give much in the way of recipes as I seldom measure what I cook, but I can give a general guideline for my lunch today:

Eggplants/aubergine, small type (Indian variety), 500g
Sesame paste, 2-3 tbsp
Olive oil, a glug or two
A garlic cloves or two
Vinegar/lemon juice to taste
Salt to taste

Remove stem bits from aubergines and roast the flesh directly on fire/heat source until grey/black and ashen on all sides. Coals are best, but I did mine in a grill cage on the hob.

Set aside in a heat-safe, liddable container and allow them to sweat themselves out a bit.
Remove the skins. You'll be surprised how quick and simple it is.

Here's the easy version if you have a food processor:
put peeled, roasted aubergines in the processor with sesame paste, garlic, olive oil and vinegar and blitz smooth then salt to taste, adjust vinegar as necessary and stir in some fresh chopped parsley.

Slightly more involved:
mince the garlic finely, salt it and scrape the salt into it against the cutting board with the flat of the knife and set aside then chop the aubergines and scrape them with the flat of the knife as well, this time with no added salt.
Using a fork, beat all the ingredients together.

Serve with mashed chickpeas (with more sesame paste) and flat breads. Here's an easy flatbread recipe:
Strong flour, 100g/scant 1 cup US
Salt, strong pinch
ADY, 1 heaped tsp
Oil, 1tbsp
Water, 65ml

Whisk flour, salt and yeast together.
Beat in oil.
Add water and knead smooth.
Divide into two equal balls.
Allow to rise.
Flatten, roll out and cook on a griddle until browned, then flip and cook the other side similarly.
Consume.

youtube.com/watch?v=9tn1xxUjgWo

Fuck. I need that

Any veggie muffins ideas?

budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetarian/

youtu.be/l_RoKIMyP80

made some seitan from scratch with whole wheat flour, it's surprisingly easy. lightly sauted, simmered in reduced mushroom stock, crushed garlic, and dark chinese soy sauce. then grilled for use in fajitas.

I'm not a veggie but I enjoy the challenge of eating cheap and eating less meat.

Seitan (wheat gluten "meat") is good as fuck, but takes time to prepare. Tips:
>get vital wheat gluten flour
>cook in a pressure cooker
>wrap in cheesecloth in pressure cooker
>use a shitload of spices to mask the grainy taste of wheat
>use MSG

it's versatile, goes well with many recipes.

here. Tofurky makes a perfectly adequate one, but you can also make your own by using regular "beefless crumbles" and adding spices

Other apes also eat other apes

orcas
wolves/dogs
cats
crows and ravens
pigs

>meat eaters can't enjoy vegetarian meals

A meal can't be vegetarian.
Vegetarian is a dietary choice.
Food stuffs don't make dietary choices.

A meal can however be suited for vegetarians, but that is something completely different.

I bet you're a blast at parties

Mother assures me that I am

What's in that burger?

I eat meat but vegetable curry is fucking king.

>tfw currently without proper kitchen
>tfw the extra effort of vegan cooking is stressing me out so much that I have a hard time mainting a vegan diet

I use this guy's recipes all the time
m.youtube.com/user/ryoya1983

Oriental couscous or bulgur salad

1 large cucumber
3 large tomatoes
1 bundle of mint leaves
1 bundle of parsley
1 bundle of spring onions
500g couscous or bulgur

olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate juice / syrup
roasted sesame seeds and black-caraway
2-3 tablespoons salça (turkish tomato and bellpepper puree)
spices (cumin, salt, pepper, sumac)

1. Season couscous / bulgur, add olive oil, cover in boiling water

2. Once couscous / bulgur is done, add salça (tomato and bellpepper puree) and mix / knead by hand

3. Don't worry if its a bit wet or if it seems almost dough-y, it'll dry out and be light and fluffy again

4. Finely chop vegetables and herbs, add to couscous / bulgur

5. Add roasted sesame seeds and black-caraway, olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate juice and sumac

It's ok to eat meat, but if you don't want to that's ok too. You're all individuals and loved no matter what you eat

Any other similar channels?

nice

I'm gonna be in New York for a week; does anybody have any vegan restaurant suggestions, preferably in the NYU area?

That doesn't suck? Kajitsu

That is probably on an NYU kid's budget? By Chloe, but it's Mollie Katzen tier amerijunk food

Go to Buddha Bodai, then come back here and tell us if they're as good as people are saying.

Slow cooked pinto beans with spinach an hummus layered on top sprinkled with season salt an chia seeds ground pepper an mustard to your taste

>sage and hide everyone
but if I sage and hide everyone then there won't be anyone left to reply to...

Falafel

Dogs and cats are not considered particularly intelligent.

And of those remaining, only orcas are true predators. Pigs and crows will eat meat, sure, but you can't really call them predators.

>crows are not predators
what the fuck do you think they eat? waffles?

They're omnivores, user. And it's not like they hunt - they scavenge

This is a terrible sentence.

They may prefer to scavenge but they do hunt

cats are predators but dumb as all fuck. dogs are omnivores, however, and capable of understanding social cues.

>falafel
I've Googled recipes and don't know which one to follow. Any suggestions?

Generally, it's just mashed chickpeas, parsley, maybe some onion, and cumin. I'll add a bit of flour if I need help getting the balls to stay together

>getting the balls to stay together
lewd

So I should go with simple?

I don't like any vegetables (aside from potatoes, I guess) nor any fruits.

Ask me anything. Let's get the first thing out of the way: No I'm not overweight.