Infinite Jest is a prank, right?

How many pages into Infinite Jest did you get before you realized you'd been tricked?

236, for me.

68 I think. After the incident with the guy who was gonna smoke that ton of weed, and then Hal smoking in the facilities led me to realize that this was gonna be a 1000 page PSA

I'm so sorry...

>there are actually people who picked up Infinite Jest and stopped reading

i will make a deliberate effort to never read a single word written by this fuckin chud for as long as i live

I didn't say I stopped reading, I just said I have recognized that I've been tricked and that I have a long way ahead of me before the prank ends.

>I am seated in an office, surrounded by heads and bodies.

you fucking lost m8

>actually reading infinite jest, finnegans wake, or gravity's rainbow

I'm almost at page 300. I really like it so far, even if it's getting a bit boring. I want to see the guy who was waiting for weed again. Crazy chapter, it blew my mind.

Was DFW a drug addict or an alcoholic?

>Was DFW a drug addict or an alcoholic?
He was addicted to smoking pole. Very sad, many such cases.

There is a massive gulf in quality between Infinite Jest and those other two books, which are actually works of art.

STOP IT

IM WARNING YOU

My posture is consciously congruent to the shape of my hard chair.

This is the furthest into my copy of Infinite Jest that I have ever read

WHAT KIND OF FUCKING TROGLODYTE THOUGHT THIS WAS AN OKAY THING TO SAY GOD DAMMIT I WILL NEVER GET THIS FUCKING DISGUSTING COMBINATION OF WORDS OUT OF MY HEAD THANKS TO THIS FUCKING AUTIST

Sup, just closed the book for tonight ending up at page 375.

You're about to hit two long but fucking great chapters.

after like the 200th page I began to genuinely enjoy the book so I finished it

personal experience:

1-300
>fun, a little up it's own ass
~300-650
>more like infinite boredom with the occasional decent chapter
~700-end (or whenever Lenz starts killing animals)
>everythingwentbetterthanexpected.zip

i read it all without reading the notes and i liked it, should i pick it up again?

>heads and bodies.
what did he mean by this?

I dont know about addict, but Infinite Jest is clearly is limited by someone who took a ton of anti-depressants and adderall

Gravity's Rainbow is actually worth it desu. No matter how confused I was Pynchon made me chuckle on nearly every page.

the only meme book there is finnegans wake

On page 430ish right now and fully convinced that the only people that don't like this book haven't read it or think it's too hard after the black people chapter.

It's a fucking boring, pointless book m8.

t. brainlet

>still has to use his brain
>he isn't so smart he can form complete and highly intelligent thoughts with his spinal chord alone

All books are pointless and boredom is subjective

It's an attention-grabbing way of referring to people Hal isn't connecting with

Whenever I have no money and have to spend a few days alone in my apartment withdrawing from alcohol, cigarettes and coffee I just compulsively leaf through it to distract myself.

It is a very comforting and relatable book

It's more like reading blog posts than literature though.

that part is Hal, a literal autist, in the first-person

300 here. It's really awful, I was expecting something like Gaddis but it turned up to be just pure juvenile shit

>art
more like fart, right user?

I'd read somewhere that DFW liked Nicotine and one other stimulant, but I can't remember the source. He quit all that stuff at some point of his life.

>is clearly is limited by

What did he mean by this?

The notes are an integral part of the experience you fucking nigger

>there are people who didn't like Infinite Jest
>there are people who actually dropped it
>there are people who read it without the footnotes
>there are people who actually think it's confusing/difficult

any of the above is reddit af

>dfw Infinite Jest will never be translated to your native language

be the change you want to see in the world

>dfw
Kek

After reading infinite pages, I realized It was all a jest.

Unreadable. The first few pages. If you're empathetic enough you can almost feel his mental illness infecting you.

I'm sure if you try again, you'll find that IJ is, underneath the (failed, imo) attempts at humor, just as pretentious as anything Gaddis has ever written.

You only have to read a footnote if you require extra context about a reference being made. I'm sorry that you were insufficiently prepared with background knowledge prior to reading Infinite Jest that you found the footnotes useful, much less "required"

he was an alocoholic and a pot head for sure. A lot of people suspect heroin too

We got another one guys! hahaha!

dfw had a very limited understanding of drug culture so he probably wasn't addicted to heroin. He was taking antidepressants for "insomnia" for about ten years and wrote about how people that need drugs to live are weak, I'll let you guess what happened when he stopped taking them. The guy was a fraud.

>"I COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT AND I AM LOUDLY ANNOUNCING IT ALONG WITH A PICTURE WHICH DEEPENS MY ALREADY PRETTY DEEP PUBLIC HUMILIATION."

Veeky Forums in a nutshell.

There is no need to be upset. The footnotes add nothing of value to the novel, and if he wanted them to be read, he would have included them.

>Infinite Jest is a prank, right?
Surely you jest.

Infinitely so, at that.

He was taking antidepressants for depression, and while he wanted to live without drugs, he never said people who need drugs to live are weak.

He added the footnotes as a way of fracturing the story, there is some very important stuff within the footnotes. Sometimes they are dumb but then they have something really important.

Lmao, thanks for that

>footnotes

The homework board for underaged vocational track kids is over here:

hello my name is josh and i am reading this book and I agree with you

fuck off josh

A lot of intelligent discussion going on in this thread.

There are entire chapters in the footnotes bruh

Then perhaps he should have put them as actual chapters, and not as afterthoughts desu

Josh here, just wanted to say sorry

Maybe he would have kept Orin and MMP in the main text if they hadn't done fucked up so much