Don't bother reading this. Its only redeeming quality gets old fast

Don't bother reading this. Its only redeeming quality gets old fast.

V and GR are MUCH better. Trust me.

>dont read this because of my opinion on it.
Yeah okay

Pynchon didn't write it. In 1980, following seven years of excruciating writer's block, Thomas Pynchon, the author of V., The Crying of Lot 49, and Gravity's Rainbow, thought he would never write again. He committed suicide on the streets of NY by slipping on a banana peel he'd placed in his own path.

I wrote it.

I found it much better, more impressive & more enjoyable than either V. or GR. I put it second only to Against the Day.

epic shit post my senpai

that post or mason & dixon?

1. Against the Day
2. Mason & Dixon
2. Gravity's Rainbow
4. The Crying of Lot 49
5. Vineland
6. V.
7. Inherent Vice
8. Bleeding Edge

I'd rank V. over Vineland but for the most part I'd totally co-sign this.

Based order

yeah we get it you don't like agreeing with the majority.

do you actually like Against the Day that much? I'm worried I'd start it and quit half way but I think I'd enjoy it a lot it's just a big commitment, I guess.

I'm just over half way through it now and I've never enjoyed another book like I've enjoyed M&D.

Its like it constantly alternates between hilarious and thoughtful at just the right pace. I've never read V. but so far M&D is turning out better than gravity rainbow.

Agreed. I had fun with GR, but M&D managed to have that Pinceconian zaniness as well as serious feels. Granted I haven't touched GR since I was 17, so on reread it might yield more emotion.

It is Pynchon's apotheosis. And his only work to include the phrase 'fuckmouth whore,' so...

there's no way in hell that the crying of lot 49 is better than v.

Pynchon thread?

Today at work I successfully convinced somebody NOT to start into-ing Pynchon by reading Gravity's Rainbow.

In the end they bought V but I'm not exactly sure they were up to the task as their response to my question about whether they liked post-modern lit was something about reading Murakami.

Anecdote over.

brutal, you convinced someone you need to wear a safety hat to read books

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he sez, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

So bad...

So good...

Well, it's not even like he wanted it. His wife came over to buy it for him as she'd read TCoL49 in Nihongo once upon a moon.

>she was Japanese
>tfw you will never have a cute Japanese wife who makes you read Pynchon

> she was a jap

should have gone with GR or Vineland, you fucked up, feel bad

And it was shit

I actually read and "enjoyed" this book not just once but twice, but reading this has made me realize I didn't actually like it. Thank you, OP, I will now go kill myself.

so holy...

so lackluster...

so *CRASH* Mom made pancakes...

is M&D comfy? I've been reading degenerate and depressing lit and gallows humor kind of stuff and need a break as I feel really weird about life right now. I loved every sentence of Gravity's Rainbow but I marathoned all of Krasznahorkai's work and just want to be happy again, and if it's anything like GR that's not what I'm looking for.

It's unbelievably comfy

... this is not the Bizarro Veeky Forums thread?

Pay no mind to this hepcat, folx. Pynchon here. Rushdie's a swell guy, gang. I'm behind the eight ball here, but the weirdo is on my wavelength, y'know? Just one groove's difference and we're dancin' to different songs, but dancin' nonetheless. Oakley Hall on the other hand. We wuz kickin' soil along the sandy loams back in 2006 sendin' buckshots at quail on the pitch of Caldwell's Upper. Good times. Good meat. P. out.

I really enjoyed Warlock, but the ending was a little bit of a letdown.

What is the redeeming quality?

I'm guessing the old timey language, given how much of a plebeian OP is.

I approve of this order.

This pasta makes me laugh each time