Whats Veeky Forums's opinion on Alton Brown

Whats Veeky Forums's opinion on Alton Brown

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iY_-23i8vIo
youtube.com/watch?v=ycKlZKYk0sA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He tricked a generation of millennials who had no innate interest in cooking into feeling like they "should" be interested in cooking, so now we have millions of young people with strong, stupid opinions on how to cook a piece of beef using a piece of metal, or the exact differences between canned tomatoes in a jar, and canned tomatoes in a jar with olive oil and garlic (the latter being a crime against humanity and the former being the most challenging and rewarding gastronomic achievement when the jar is opened and mixed with olive oil and garlic separately from that jar)

In general, I dislike him

>Veeky Forums

You need to go back.

Huh?

I like him, his shows are always comfy, but he's really religious and carries a gun everywhere. Something about him seems evil, like he's hiding a secret.

I met him in the beer line at a Def Leppard concert

cool guy

>a canned product is exactly the same as taking thise same ingredients and cooking them, despite having control over the ratio of ingredients, preparation, and cook time in one and not the other

You're that salted butter faggot, aren't you?

He's someone that's passionate about food. So yeah, I like him.

Is that some youtube personality? No, not everyone who disagrees with you is the same person. Maybe you should consider the possibility that you're in the wrong here.

your visa has expired, tourist. Time to fuck off

Alton brown is the bill nye of cooking i can't wait untill all the jackasses realize he is an ass hole fake.

The only cooking sho show i like is americas test kitchen.

I'm shocked, shocked that Alton Brown has bad taste in music

>He's someone that's passionate about food. So yeah, I like him.

he's passionate because he is just a shit actor trying to keep a job

>really religious and carries a gun everywhere.
This just makes me like him more

Huge faggot.

youtu.be/iY_-23i8vIo

Some idiot on here that was saying salted butter is fine because you just add salt to your dish when you use unsalted. So, I guess someone as equally retarded and clueless. Good to know.

I don't think anyone would seriously suggest substituting it for unsalted in a baking recipe or something like that. But it's fine for putting on toast, unless you get off on doing the Salt Bae act on your breakfast every day. Sounds like maybe you do? Good for you.

Good Eats is A#1

Wait, there are actually people who are against salted butter? The miniscule amount of salt in the butter won't make any difference in the final dish, unless you're cooking your meals in a whole stick of butter.

>salted butter is fine
But salted butter is fine. It has a longer shelf life and for most things the extra salt either makes it tastier or means you salt less. The exceptions are things like butter cream, puff pastry and beurre blancs that might turn out too salty with salted butter, but in most cases the butter just stays fresher for longer and you add a bit less salt.
user was right, and you're the retard.

ah

ah

ah

Getting young people into cooling is somehow bad? Better cooking than the take-out trash they would eat otherwise.

cooking* obviously

But millenials, user! An entire generation of people have no business being interested in things!

MILLENIAALLLS REEEEE

OCD, Autist, and Geek. Zero charisma and completely unlikable.

youtube.com/watch?v=ycKlZKYk0sA

He's the reason I'm not afraid of the kitchen, but he can definitely be a bit much at times

I prefer this frog, more comfy

I like Good Eats, I wouldn't ever do half the stuff he does but occasionally I'll see things that I really want to try. He made a miso honey baked fish that I'm thinking of trying out because it'll be 5 minutes of preparation and 15 minutes of drinking beer on the couch.

Due to Baptists not liking homosexuals, he and his wife cut their ties with them.

>Def Leppard
>bad

I support anybody that succeeds in making education entertaining (RIP Bill Nye's brain, eaten by SJW zombies), but for the most part his cooking on good eats (and his youtube channel) was horrendously overcomplicated.

>we're making tandoori chicken
>by BUILDING OUR OWN TANDOOR

Test Kitchen is considerably better for actual cooking techniques, and is genrally more scientificially rigorous too, since they test multiple methods and try to figure out what works best and why, and why what doesnt work doesn't.

>Whats Veeky Forums's opinion on Alton Brown

If you are a noob cook then watching Good Eats is a great way to learn.

If you already know how to cook then watching Good Eats is like being forced to attend first grade all over again.

I mean I agree with you, but saying "this first grade class is shit because I have a baccalaureate degree" is kind of dumb

I didn't say it was shit 100% of the time, user.

I said it was great if you are looking to learn, and not so great if you already know.

t. millennial

spotted the nu-male

Holy fuck, you're a bigger cuck than

He's what got me into cooking. Getting high as shit in college and turning on the food network because I was munchie but didn't know how to cook.

Watching him now is kind of painful. So many mom-isms, blind dogma, and overcomplicated bullshit. It's nice if you're looking for the "why" but don't ever follow his recipes to the letter.

That last sentence also applies to ATK/Cook's Country.

i like good eats, but anything else i see him in he is cringey, gimmicky, annoying, and unfunny

He was pretty good in that episode of No Reservations.

haven't seen that one

Atlanta(?). Tony takes him out drinking and to a titty bar.

He's a pretty cool dude, his live show is fun and he genuinely seem to enjoy food and cooking.

HOWEVER...he seems like a basic bitch that would break down a cry on a line during peak hours like a pussy. He's knowledgeable, but likely a cock juggler.

I really enjoyed one of the thanksgiving day long specials
>macerating

Would you want to actually sit and attend a first-grade class?
Think about the things you fucking say.

Stop projecting, faggot. He'd deal slices of your huge forehead like playing cards after running you through a mandolin, Berniebro.

Projecting? Fucking bitch doesn't like mushrooms. He's a total fag lord.

>He's a total fag lord
>For not liking musky phallic fungus
Stop projecting, faggot.

He's a homophobic gun owner.
He's cool with me.

He went to Comicon cosplaying as those twins from the matrix with Adam Savage.

I was just thinking this desu

he's good at cooking

I use his recipes

You'd think they could have tried a little harder and went more monotone... at least some powder on their faces.

Alton is the best celebrity chef out there. As a TV personality he has more range and has been on a wider variety of shows than any other celeb chef.

Not like bourdain, where every fucking show he is on is the same fucking thing. Or like Mario or Giada "lets cook some MORE italian food".

Alton does it all, and has such a range its just amazing to watch him DO IT ALL.

He gets a lot of guff from this board because all the neck beards are fucking BTFO Jelly AF. The science of cooking thing is right down their alley, and they can't handle it.

>def leppard
>bad
kill yourself my man

"Good Eats" was a show anyone could watch even if you didn't cook on a regular basis, or at all.

In fact, I probably watched that show for two years before I attempted anything serious in the kitchen beyond bacon and eggs.

I credit the learning I did through osmosis in those two years to the home cook I've become today.

Also fapping to Rachel Rae when she was still a qtpie...

And for some odd reason, I liked watching Mario Batali when I was hungover. That, and golf...

He puts the /k/ in Veeky Forums, so as a real American he has my support. His show is also fun to watch

That's a pretty subpar costume attempt, especially for Adam, who usually goes all out. Didn't even shave. What the fuck.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of both Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain.
Alton Brown is not a celebrity chef, because he's not a chef, and has never been a chef. He's a television writer/producer/presenter who does his research and has a genuine passion for food. Anthony Bourdain is a writer and used to be an actual head chef at a mid-level French bistro in New York. Of course Alton is going to do a wider variety of shows, because he was in the TV world before he was ever in the food world, and he's going to have more skills and knowledge when it comes to making television than most other people you see on the Food Network. Bourdain's interests are more narrow, and he doesn't care as much about making a wide variety of television shows, and probably doesn't even like the actual mechanics of making a television show. They're two completely different people with disparate backgrounds who each offer something unique to the world of culinary education / journalism, and I'm glad they both do what they do.
I don't really care about Mario(who is a chef) or Giada(who isn't, just the hot daughter of a famous movie director, which is why she's the worst of all outside of sex appeal).

Agreed. They both have there places, distinct as they are.

It's like comparing Jacques Cousteau with Ernest Hemingway because they both wrote about the sea.

No, they have the sea in common. Like Bourdain and Brown have food in common.

It's not that high brow a concept, user.

I'm saying it's a dumb thing to do.

Well, I don't see how I was comparing them considering that I acknowledged that they both occupy their own niche.

Spotted the disgruntled line cuck. You will never be food network famous like Alton. Because he doesn't have to be a line cook. Because he has money. Because line cooks don't make money. It's funny because you're probably a line cook.

I was agreeing with you on that part, but also saying that comparing them like in is dumb, because Alton isn't even a celebrity chef.

Alton himself wrote this post.

>line cucks

Bourdain is a line cuck when compared to Alton.

I love it when people say Alton isn't a chef. Alton is a better chef than any of the jelly line cucks who parrot this stupid argument. Alton isn't just a chef. He is the best chef.

A chef is someone who runs the kitchen in a restaurant. It's a job title. Chopping down a tree in your backyard doesn't make you a lumberjack.

Used to love him and his show. Now, can't stand him and actively avoid him.

fpbp

The more you learn to cook the more you realize how shit his advice is.

Eek, this guy forgot what a chef is.

Chef is short for chef de cuisine, which is French for "chief/head/boss of the kitchen"

He has a test kitchen he uses to draft recipes for his shows, so he's a chef in so far as he runs that kitchen at the very least. Unless you'd like to amend your definition to include that they have to sell the food afterward for the kitchen boss to be a chef.

So my mom is a chef then?

I don't have to amend anything. I already specified that "a chef is someone who runs the kitchen in a restaurant," specifically a restaurant that uses the French brigade system.

She could be. Maybe not in the professional/commercial sense though.