Interview with Jorge Luis Borges

youtube.com/watch?v=fkpYhmgkwTc

>1977
did he see star wars?

What do you think the last word on him will be? Personally, I'm inclined to think that "he was not for an age, but for all time," but there's no wikipedia or any website for me to check on to see if, in general, people feel the same way.

He was a blind faggot and a hack sci-fi writer who was good at referencing shit to make critics feel smart.

Pleb.

Well, I had heard that people said he was one of the most well-read men of his time.

I mean obviously a claim like that is hard to countenance (how to prove/disprove it?), but do you think that he wasn't really that well read, and just referenced stuff in order to seem cool?

Kike.

He actually was smart, but I really hate how full of himself he was.

Interesting reply, really makes me think.

>but I really hate how full of himself he was.

He literally criticises himself throughout the entire interview.

What are you talking about?

His way of "standing out of the crowd" wasn't by talking big, but rather consodering himself ignorant and using needlessly complicated and long words.

>but rather consodering himself ignorant and using needlessly complicated and long words.

Not an argument.

A single long word can contain within it an entire sentence. You're just a retard with an inferiority complex.

is there a more evident sign of pride than criticizing one self? dont think so.

>using needlessly complicated and long words.

I didn't get any sense of this (from the translations lol), and he seems to have been as opposed to needless pretentious complexity as you are! :

>I try to simply express what I want and I try to do it with common words. Because only the words that belong to the spoken language are effective. It's a mistake to assume that all the words in the dictionary can be used. There's many that can't.

>For example, in a dictionary, you see as synonyms the words "bluish", "cerulean" and "azureous", and some other word too. The truth is that they are not synonyms. The word "bluish" can be used, because the reader accepts it, so to speak. But if I put "azureous", or if I put "cerulean", no, they are words that point to different or opposite directions. So, actually, the only word that can be used is "bluish", because it's a common word that glides along the others.

>A single long word can contain within it an entire sentence.

thats not much of an argument either lol

Sure. And from what I can see, you are an enlightened academic genius.
Stop being a fanboy, friend.

>is there a more evident sign of pride than criticizing one self? dont think so.

Nice mental gymnastics, retard.

>Criticise yourself
Haha, you're just up yourself and filled with pride!

>Praise yourself
Haha, you're just up yourself and filled with pride!

Really makes me think.

I'm not actually that much of a fan, I just consider your distaste for long words to be retarded.

No doubt you grew up in a working class family. I've met your kind before.

I'm not that user, but I think that the point of learning many words is to use as few as possible.

And I also think, at least in literature, that people are more in danger of showing off using long, obscure words (and of obscuring their point in the process) than they are in danger of using unnecessarily short ones (and losing their point in the process).

By all means, the people who THINK in long words should be able to write that way--but I think, in all honesty, very few people are actually like that...

I like to keep things simple and to the point. Like you said, it's just a distaste, I only find them annoying. I don't get angry of anything when I see words like that, I simply shrug and keep reading.
And yes, I grew up in a working class family. What does that have to do with anything?

He seems like a pretty nice guy.

Last times i tried to emulate Borges, and it is easiest and laziest way to write short stories.
>"i read something in a novel called bla bla"
>describing entire story of novel in few sentences
>BUT NOVEL IS NOT FINISHED
>then writing about looking for author and last part of story unfolds as criminal

Thanks for this shitposting

Grumpy arrogant faggot with a narcissism touch

his style is so anoying, everything is THE SAME, SYMETRICAL, and UNSPEAKABLE

>No doubt you grew up in a working class family. I've met your kind before.

nigga, what are you talking about lol. you mixed up Borges and Lovecraft maybe?

not funny dude

no, he was blind

Jokes aside he loved mainstream Hollywood blockbusters apparently.