Is ok to suck at the beggining?

Is ok to suck at the beggining?

Did all the great writers also sucked at the beggining?

Is this a real question? Are you fishing for that thing from Ira Glass?

No. Many great authors just had a natural talent for storytelling and often had their first writings be promising masterpieces. This "you gotta practice" shit is just a meme that only applies if you want to write forgettable mediocrity.

it's impossible to get good at something at look cool while doing it

there are obvious examples of writers who were born with talent, you are not one of them but that doesn't mean you won't ever write something that's not garbage

Writing is easy. You just sit at a typewriter and bleed.

>You just sit at a typewriter and bleed

It's a Hemingway quote you faggot

Proust was 38 when he started his known work. He talks about sucking too until he realized he could write about his quaint life experiences well.

well memed

I don't know.

Montaigne said that all a man's talents would be revealed at no later than the age of 20, and his opinion seems to be borne out by that frightening copypasta litany that circulates around here listing all the writers who were published before they were 25.

But, as another poster noted, there are exceptions (often huge exceptions) to the rule.

I don't think literature is for you.

i am a big guy though

this isn't true
dont be a meanie

Well, if you did write anything, it would be extremely painful.

for you

lol rekt

No, everyone was born either with natural talent or none.

Henry Miller tried for years to write pretty prose and had no luck. One friend of his kept insisting to him that he should just write the way he talked. (He was quite a talker.) Miller finally took his friends advice and wrote in a more conversational style and finally wrote Tropic of Cancer in his mid forties.

Thomas Hobbes didn't get into philosophy until he was 60.

There are exceptions, but they're rare, and often significant.

All great writers were born great at it, this is because of their white privilege. If the writer wasn't white, it was because he stole the privilege by killing and eating a white baby.

what if the non-white writer was a she?

serious replies only, pls.

Nice trips
Shame about the content

Stole the seed of the white man.

While most writers sucked a first because of a lack of life experience resulting in stale stories, most are also gifted with a natural talent for cadence, sound and wordplay. To be a great writer you need to be both talented, versed in life, and intelligent. Sure you can learn how to construct a plot and write basic prose, but no, I'm sorry friendos talent is not a democracy.

>tfw the garbage I pumped out when I was new to writing (like 15-16, 24 now) was well received by everyone who read it, even compared to Pratchett and Douglas Adams
>tfw after writing for years and noticeably improving my skill, nobody even bothers to start reading my current stuff

The first time I wrote a book, I was five years old, and I used crayons and staples.

and your drunk dad hung it on the fridge, and when you visited him again, it was gone and laying in the piled up trash outside.

That never happened. I threw the book into a fireplace and my dad was serving in the military.

he was soon killed after, they found him with his penis cut off and shoved in his mouth. In his pocket, was a picture of a family....that wasn't yours.

No, seriously.

Someone post it, I want to feel like shit tonight.