Unrefined sea salt

I bought some of this high priced unrefined sea salt at Whole Foods (pic related) to see what all the hype was about. I tried it on some fresh radishes and green onions and it felt like I was chewing sand. I thought, it must be the mineral particles dissolve in liquid so I simmered some stock with a bit of it added, let it cool and you could see a layer of grit at the bottom.

In the pic you can see the grey particles of rock. How the hell do you use this stuff?

>inb4 the stupid drug comments

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St_John_Restaurant,_Smithfield,_London_(4409853989).jpg?uselang=fr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stupid drug comment.

You put it in a fancy jar (where it will remain forever) and point it out every single time someone's in or near your kitchen. Then when nobody's looking you use regular salt.

It's literally sand. Same as chili powder.

"Prevents caking!" But in reality it's just a weight addition and a ploy to get you to eat shit that is not food.

>buying salt with dirt in it
>paying extra for an impurities in your inorganic chemical compound

Just toss it and buy normal salt.

You only use sea salt to prevent slippery ice during winter. Using it on food is just a meme.

Here in nigger land those who skim salt actually avoid to collect sand and it's cheaper than imported "regular salt".

>Bought it to see what was the hype about
>Don't bother learning what you bought first and what you can do with it

it's just dirty polluted salt, you got scammed
if you want a different kind of salt try salt crystals anything else is a scam

This

It wasn't an additive. It apparently just comes from that particular seawater where they harvested it. I see these Keller style gourmet chefs using it all the time, but my point is in both a sprinkling application on raw food and cooking it, the sandy grit remains. Is part of the gourmet experience to feel grit when you're chewing food so you're assured they used $20.00/lb unrefined sea salt?

you paid for bits seashell and sand cut with salt.

kosher salt is the only unflavored salt worth its salt, i.e. lmao if you pay big bux for *salt*, including maldon and fleur de sel.

>unrefined sea salt
it's literally sea salt with some seaweed or manure from the worker's boots on it. I hate people like you who create an incentive for companies to sell this bullshit

LMAO, the sack of sea salt I bought for bathing is literally cleaner than that. Stop buying dirty salt, if you want different flavors get salt with spices in it.

>hate people like you

Fuck dudette, I bought 4 oz to see if the heipmeister gourmet chefs had some secret ingredient. Don't blame me for the explosion of interest in it. I'm one to at least try something that seems like it might plausibly improve food. I mean this shit isn't being hyped on late night tv. You have cooking shows where reputable chefs are using it. Hence, my bafflement.

Of course Whole Foods sells """""""""fancy""""""""" salt to the autistic.

>buys sea salt for bathing
>recommends anything to a cognitive human

Wtf?

You got scammed, fleur de sel is the top layer, you have bottom scrapings.
It's not food grade. So tips about showing it off and using another one were, for once, accurate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel

When Eric Ripert said he couldn't taste the difference between the five rare earth mineral salts at the French Laundry, that they all just tasted like salt... that was when I decided to never buy anything but kosher and maldon for the occasional finishing application

Well, you guys seem relatively legit. At least I only bought 4 oz and can impress idiots that might be impressed by having it in an attractive container on the counter next to the range.

>mfw people fell for the scam that salt is anything but salt
>mfw people actually told themselves the 42μg of magnesium/potassium made a difference

LOL

I LOVE CAPITALISM

Grain size and crystal shape have a difference in the rare instances where you feel the crunch under the teeth. Like with foie gras or os à moelle/marrowbone.
I have a box of fleur de sel because it's cheap and local after all, last ages if you use regular salt for regular applications, and there is virtually no kosher salt available here anyway.

It also has a difference in the methods of application and measurement by volume. These can make a big difference in how well and evenly something is salted.

People use thick grain kosher salt to salt meat for a reason. It's just easier to work with and see what you are doing.

Then there is the iodine/no iodine side of the argument. Table salt is called table salt for a reason. It has no place in the kitchen.

>Like with foie gras or os à moelle/marrowbone.

Ok, so you're saying it does have an application with those two dishes at least. While the chances of me ever being within 500 miles of foie gras are quite slim, I have roasted marrow bones for the marrow as an appetizer and make osso bucco fairly often where we dig the marrow out of the bone. So you're saying I should sprinkle it on the marrow?

No. You got scammed paying more money for a product that took less steps to get packaged and is worse. It's rare because back when people used their brains they wouldn't consider that kind of shite.

It's idiotic and you can now think about everything that's wrong with the world and that you're helping happen.

You retard, fuck off.

>buys 4 oz of a product to evaluate and make his own judgements rather than relying on other people's subjective opinion
>thinking for yourself and experimenting is what's wrong with the world

Kek. I have a feeling the irony in your various positions is very strong.

>So you're saying I should sprinkle it on the marrow?
And serve it with toasted bread.
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St_John_Restaurant,_Smithfield,_London_(4409853989).jpg?uselang=fr
(I like how the French and English pages for bone marrow don't use the same pics.)

You don't. You learned a valuable lesson about how they market a shitty product with sand in it as a premium product.

>not bathing in salt water