I really hate this book, should I keep at it?

I'm about 5 chapters in so far, this shit isn't fun.

don't you at least like the prose?

That's the only thing about it that I don't completely hate.

why the hate? hate is a pretty strong reaction to art

Just drop it , it's shit. There are so many great books out there, no point in wasting your time reading shitty ones.

You've been memed. Quit while you're ahead.

you're stupid and shouldn't be allowed near books

That's just the type of book it is.

Dude I read Gatsby in a day and I'm a slow reader. Might as well finish it, if only for the meme potential.

go read "Doll" by Bolesław Prus

Keep at it, OP. I hated it up until the final chapter.

The final chapter is very good. You'll see.

Thanks. I think I will.

It's all bad and the final chapter is bad but you need to read a few thousand pages of third party lit and theory regarding it, watch every movie version including the Jay-z version and then you'll understand what makes it so good

No. Why force yourself to read a book you hate?

Nigga that book is great. Idk if I ever felt like putting it down when I first read it

If you want it leave it alone and come back to it a few months from now but you should definitely finish it at some point

>it's not well regarded on Veeky Forums so I'll hate it before I give it a chance

The ending was embarassing. It couldn't have been more in your face, no subtlety whatsoever. Him calling friends and relatives one by one and realising each time "Huh?! You won't come?! But why you were his friend right and you went to his parties and you were so nice to him I don't get it oh boy I thought he was popular poor Gatsby :'(". In a way it's The Room tier. Quite tasteless imo.

Well if you truly hate it just quit. On the other hand I'd finish it if I were you because it's THE GREAT GATSBY and quite short.

this
also it's like 150 pages at least finish it

shit book

Read some of his short fiction if you're into his prose or the period, some of it's quite good.

I didn;t like Gatsby though, I feel it gets praised simply due to what it represents in terms of the era and American Dream.

Yeah it only actually gets interesting near the end but it's still narrated with monotonous detachment so you probably wont care that much.

Not every book is for everyone.

The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books, but if you aren't enjoying it then read something else. Maybe in a year or two try again.