Would you switch to lab grown meat if it had the same taste and texture as normal meat and was cheaper?

Would you switch to lab grown meat if it had the same taste and texture as normal meat and was cheaper?

Or would you still be turned off by the fact that it's artificial?

Depends if it would fuck over my body in short/long term.

If it's identical down to an atomic level, who cares?

>if it had the same taste and texture as normal meat
>and was cheaper

Wew.

Maybe 100 years after it's introduced when potential apparent side effects and believable scientific studies start appearing.

yes.

if it's containing the same nutrition, sure. but we don't even fully understand the nutritional value of complex ingredients like that so I dunno how you'd prove it. essentially I'd be ok with it.

Considering how much space we have to waste on Cows, the pollution they cause with their methane I would be all for it, you can take something natural and make an aberration out of it with the right amount of additives, the problem is this:
>believable scientific studies start appearing

1) You know how the average "does this cause cancer study goes?" I mean a well done one,
>take X amount of people
>subject them to the thing
>wait 10 or more years and spend million of dollars
Which means that if it was done TODAY, is likely it would take a long time to understand its effects
2) Since this might be seen as a treat to Hippies and Meat producers, there would be all sort of shady studies, rumors, disinformation about it in any case.

3) Nutrition is something full of disinformation as it is, how much of what should meat have? Should it be like red meat? Should it had less of something to make it less risky for the heart? Should it be a perfect clone then or have more of something, would the body actually process those Nutrients?

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Take it when there's no other choice.

it has to also have the same protein content, if not more

I would totally do it. Especaly if it was cheaper. It's the same thing and has a lower environmental impact. What is there to lose?

>cheaper?

Yes

lab grown meat looks like this

and i'd imagine there wouldn't be any fat, fuck that

Sure. It's not gonna happen anytime soon though.

So if it was the same, but cheaper? Why would I give a fuck, of course.
Shit being artificial has never stopped me before. I drink water that was purified by automated means, I drive a car created artificially with no human input beyond the design stage and maybe post-craft checking, I frequently eat prepackaged food because i'm a disgusting person with no self control.

I don't see why lab meat would be any different. I'm not gonna go searching it out, but if it's cheaper and tastes the same, I can't see why I wouldn't want it.

Couldn't be any worse than those dollar tree """""steaks""""" anyway.

holy fucking shit that was painful to read

This

I enjoy the knowledge that something has had to die to make my food. The enjoyment of eating is heightened if I know the lesser animal suffered for my pleasure. So no, lab grown "synthmeat" would be bland and tasteless to me and I would not eat it.

you probably wouldn't notice the difference if nobody told you beforehand.

t. someone who has never gone hunting or butchered an animal in their life

Bro, I was snapping the necks of rabbits and breaking Dance Dance Revolution records by setting headless chickens on the dance mat when I was 10.

Keep proving me right

Liver isn't the same as minced meat.
To me, artificial meat looks like minced meat replacement. So by definition its not good for cooking, and won't be for a long time.

Thats also ignoring the fact it will have several extreme nutritional defects, simply from being lab grown.

it would never be cheaper in our lifetimes

theoretically creating something like this in a laboratory is more disturbing to me than just raising animals with care for the slaughter

the act of preying on animals is part of the natural cycle that humans have optimized for the good of themselves and the animals. we take care of the animals with the foresight they lack to create a better life for them than they ever would in the wild, and then in exchange they are slaughtered as painlessly as possible to provide for us.

win-win in theory. but mass produced meat is a different story.

frankenmeat shill pls go

This. My kids would prolly eat it like it was normal but I'd want a real animal to eat.

If it identical than it depends on the price. I aint paying $20 for a pound of ground lab meat.

Sure. Especially if you consider that the fact that it's all artificially made probably means that they could make everything prime grade.

>Or would you still be turned off by the fact that it's artificial?

More like will it give me some shit in the longterm because frankly that is something people are not willing to take the time for when coming up with this shit. Same with those nicotine inhalers, people claim it is safe but they don't know what the effect will be 30 years or more down the run. I mean it was meant to make people smoke less but I see people puff that shit as if they're inhaling regular cigarettes claiming that it doesn't matter cause muh tobacco. You might be putting shit in your body that might change it to no good over the years and nobody bothered to take the time to figure that out first before putting it on the market.

Absolutely. I'd be willing to pay up to double or triple the price of normal meat, if everything else was the same.

I hope real meat (or at least factory farms) gets banned as soon as lab-grown meat becomes feasible for everyday consumption.

>I hope real meat (or at least factory farms) gets banned as soon as lab-grown meat becomes feasible for everyday consumption.
I too enjoy the idea of wiping out whole species of domestic animals.

Vegans are totalitarians, their ideal society is North Korea where everyone eats (meager) grain, nobody uses cosmetics, and nobody uses medicine.

Everything is about control for the betterment of the moral crusade.

That wormy texture...gross.

>Would you switch to lab grown meat if it had the same taste and texture as normal meat and was cheaper?

Of course. The fact that it's "artificial" doesn't bother me.

But realistically speaking I think it will be a VERY long time, if EVER that lab-grown meat will be both just as good as natural and a reasonable price. I think it's either going to be dreadfully expensive, or it will be an inferior product.

That's been the trend thus far whenever high levels of science get involved with food. Billions of dollars are spend on GMO produce and special breeds of animals for factory farming. The result has been very cheap food, but quality has not been much of a concern. GMO grains don't taste as good as old-fashioned ones. Factory-farmed meat is cheap but doesn't taste as good as traditionally raised animals. Synthetic vanilla flavor doesn't taste as good as using actual vanilla beans. Same for truffle oil/flavoring. The difference in flavor is major, IMHO but many people are blissfully unaware of it because all they've ever eaten is industrially processed. I fear the exact same thing will happen with lab-grown meat. I think it might end up cheap one day, but I doubt it will ever be cheap and good. Though if it is, I'll be happy to eat it.

No, our ideal society is one where animals don't get slaughtered if there's absolutely no need to do so (as in the hypothetical presented in this thread). That's it.

As for the sarcastic gentleman who wrote , I'm sure you'll pitch in for cattle reservations so as to preserve the species.

>Cattle reservations where they're invasive and exotic creatures
>Stealing habitat from actual wild native creatures like the bison

Classic vegan ecological retardation. The cattle goes extinct if mankind ceases to use it. We created and we will end it. Enjoy the factories where the cattle ranches once were you deluded idealistic totalitarian retard.

Asking the right question

>As for the sarcastic gentleman who wrote (You), I'm sure you'll pitch in for cattle reservations so as to preserve the species.
No, why would I?

I don't know, I thought you cared about the species. That's what your post implied, at least.

No, it doesn't. I'm all for enacting policies based on efficiency. And why stop at animals? Let's be honest for a minute, do we REALLY need all those

you know what is the difference between artificial and organic vanillin? nothing.

its the byproducts you need to look out for. and there are a lot of instances where artificial is better for you.

>Or would you still be turned off by the fact that it's artificial?
You say that like I'm turned off by lab meat being artificial and not because its mushy ass that costs a fortune. I'd also not switch to it whole hog regardless, why would I take newfound variety and limit my diet in response?

only if its lab grown human flesh, from a volunteer who wants their muscle tissue to feed us all. from Rudy Rucker: Wendy Meat! its in an SF novel of his. gal named wendy clones herself, sells the meat. ethical cannibalism!

Checked.
It's actually very low quality (now, may change in the future) : 0% fat, no texture, etc. It's more of a protein mush that grew itself like muscle does, but without being an actual muscle.

The research are going to be for human organ replacement before thinking about meat.
Would you eat lab-gown human meat? A food-grade discarded replacement leg for example.

i'd easily go for it

i'm also pro gmo debate me :)

The meat is not artificial
It is real meat grown in sheets rather than on an animal
After the first attempts it was realized they needed to "work" the muscle (meat) to make it taste more "natural", so now they pass an electric current through the meat so it contracts and expands like a normal muscle, giant flexing sheets of meat
No that the flavor is pretty normal they are working on growing fat within the sheets to make the mouth feel when eating more normal
Once this is achieved they claim that any type of meat would be able to be factory grown
Every steak a Kobe, chicken, cockroach, mouse, Mammoth, fly anything
Imagine actors selling steaks factory grown from cultures taken from the personality
Eventually there will be a home machine and you can grow your own, as seen on TV
You could be feasting on Kim K's ass meat next year
Puts a new spin on those Trump Steaks

I like meat but seeing how artificial meat is made makes me want to go vegan

>Would you eat lab-gown human meat?
Absolutely, if only for the novelty. Also the biggest issue I see with lab meat is, texture. I mean that comes from the muscle actually being used to some degree, are there going to be jars of pulsating meat blobs doing curls in a lab somewhere, or are we going to be limited to mush and veal?

I already eat taco bell 'meat'
long as it's not gonna make me sick and tastes palateable I'd gladly switch

I'd be heavily turned off, but a man's gotta eat.

I'm fine if it gives me the same gains.

>No risk of parasites
>No animal injured
>No more millionaire ranchers and chicken farmers who hold thousands of acres for some fucking cows
hell ya

>Would you switch to lab grown meat if it had the same taste and texture as normal meat and was cheaper?

Yes. There would be absolutely no reason not to at that point.

Yes. The negative environmental impact of raising animals for meat is extraordinary, so supporting efficient alternatives (assuming they're molecularly identical) is the only responsible thing to do.

t. environmental vegetarian who loves meat

unpossible so why even ask

how much did monsanto pay you to write that post

That's my main concern, for sure.

no, never. Why would i? you dont get to decide whats good or not for me

fucking this

edgy as fuck mane

If it had the same taste and texture and didn't create any health risks that "real" meat doesn't also have, you better fucking believe it. You'd have to be a complete retard not to.

There's no added value in knowing your meat came from a real animal, so if it was functionally the same in every way except cheaper, it's objectively the better choice.

I get additional enjoyment from sticking it to the vegfags, can't emulate that with frankenmeat.

Faggot

Normal meat is gross enough. I'm already turned off by the low quality shit.

I would, as long as the taste matched, and the texture was palatable. It wouldn't even have to be cheaper, just somewhere in the same range.

The issue though is that I don't think you can 100% recreate certain meat dishes with fake meat. Like, are they legitimately going to be able to recreate different cuts of steak? "Chicken wings" would no longer be a thing, and no, pouring buffalo sauce onto strips of fried chicken breast is not the same flavor.

But I like potted meats, so I'm sure I'd be fine with it.

Yes, after about 10-20 years of testing it on the public to make sure it is actually save.

It would depend on the nutrition.

This is the only concern tbqh

I was about to call you a spastic for that second half of your post, but the more I think about it the more I realize how plausible this bizarre image of the future really is.

Actually, I think it would be pretty great to chomp into an official licensed Danny DeVito chop. What would that taste like?

Maggot

The question is would you still eat it if it was poop?

No, I wouldn't eat meat, natural or not, if it wasn't in fact meat, but poop.

apparently you can't even tell the difference

The thought of lab grown meat just sounds super icky....plus there is no way the hubby would ever go for it