Spicy Food tolerance

Is it reasonable to have no tolerance to chilli and refuse to eat food if it has the smallest amount of chilli?

Backstory - I invited my parents over for dinner at my apartment, and I prepared Chilli con Carne, with the smallest amount of spiciness - literally just a pinch of chilli powder. They sat down, started eating and shortly after started panting and wouldn't eat anymore, as if they were eating a ghost chilli. I made the same thing the next time they visited with literally no spiciness, and they liked it and even found it somewhat spicy.

Now I like my spicy food within reason - I'm not the type of faggot who literally dumps ghost pepper hot sauce into everything he eats, but it triggers the fuck out of me that my parents refuse to eat anything that's remotely spicy. Where do you guys stand on this?

Absolutely they can have no tolerance. If you spend your life avoiding capsaicin and piperine, then even the smallest amount seems like a colossal irritant.

My wife was the same way. She couldn't tolerate even black pepper when we first started dating.

My sister is the same way. She was eating nachos and said the cheese was spicy. It was regular cheese.

They used to be okay a few years back, but the past year or so they've had no tolerance at all. I've tried to get their tolerance up very gradually, but to no avail.

I'd respect their need to not want spiciness, but god damn it it's Chilli con Carne - it's meant to be spicy. It pisses me off because there's so many dishes that I can't make because they complain it's too spicy, and it's not even capsacin spice either.

I want to make a joke involving your wife and the color black but I am not clever enough.

What the fuck

How can cheese be spicy

Spice actually causes physical pain - that's what the sensation of spiciness is - so it kind of makes sense to have little tolerance for it, but to have absolutely no tolerance to the point where you can't eat something with a pinch of chili powder is weird.

it definately takes a tolerance build up. I can eat any kind of spice in any quantity, but that's because I went out of my way to try the hottest spices... of course this some insane shit I can't eat, but I'm talking about edible food.

I also heard the spiciness actually damages your taste buds... so maybe avoid it for patrician tastes

I have a really good palette - like I said I like spicy food but I don't make it ridiculously spicy, I just like a kick/warmth.

It just pisses me off that they're really stubborn at refusing to eat - they could just say something or politely ask me not to make it less spicy, instead of kicking up a fuss. THEY'RE GETTING A FREE MEAL FOR FUCK'S SAKE

idk man, my dad starts sweating when he eats something even remotely hot.

can you imagine the last thing you ate that was way too hot? maybe thats how it feels for them with minor stuff.

I know, I can empathise with the discomfort that it causes.

But is it reasonable to kick up such a fuss and be rude about it? There's so many dishes I can't cook nos because they refuse to eat anything spicy or to even try and develop a resistance

dn't tell them its spicy and serve it with milk and bread

I used to have low tolerance, but I didn't like it so I built it up.
Meanwhile, my sister refused to attempt to build up any tolerance, forcing me to tailor my cooking to her taste, even when I was cooking for my own birthday. Extreme spicedags are bad, but at least they can stand eating reasonable amounts and don't bitchange as much.

>spicedags
*spicefags

If it's not spicy, why the milk and bread? Causes suspicion

I made it another time with literally no spiciness, and even then they found it quite spicy (but they happily ate it) and said it was an ideal level of spiciness. Maybe it's a psychological thing? When I used to still live with my parents, I used to make dinner as I saw fit (within reason ofc), and it was too spicy for them, so they wouldn't eat it. I eventually got rid of spice altogether, but they still find it spicy - maybe they associate my cooking with spiciness/unpleasantry and imagine it?

How autistic are you?

who cares if they're suspicious. Just tell them its delicious and the sides will help if it overwhelms.

My grandparents from the midwest won't eat tomato based pasta sauce becsuse it's "too spicy."

They think everything bright red is spicy.

It's kind of sad because my dad moved to new orleans when my parents married and even though he himself loves spicy food we'd ALWAYS go to applebees or some shit every time they visited instead of the actual good food in one of the best culinary cities in the US because it's too spicy.

Spiciness cannot physically damage your taste buds. It can irritate some tissue in your throat, chest, eyes, which causes a separate response. But taste alone, no, you cannot damage your tongue.

I have one of these babbys.

Still tolerate spicy better then sone smoothtounges.

>have ulcers
>alcoholic
>love spicy
feels good man
also I have shit tongue like

Christ, what horrible disease causes that? I've never seen it irl.

That's weird. Last time I checked your wife was taking a hot black long pepper up her asshole.

No disease, it's just fissured tongue. 10% plus of people have it, but that's a particularly severe case. It's usually painless.

The idea is that there are three types of tongues you can have. Some people have 30K tastebuds, some have 60K, some have 90K. The more you have, the more susceptible to the thing that makes something spicy to your tongue.

For correcting myself? I'm just avoiding annoying people who like to point out every mistake so I'm doing it myself.

Oh my bad, I thought it was another guy correcting your text

Citation needed

I can see how that would make sense, but just one thing - can we agree that more tastebuds means better palette (or at least potential for one?)
I'm not like my parents who die from one pinch of chilli powder, and my palette is way better than theirs

Well it's not a hard rule, of course there's variations, but the majority of people falling near those 3 numbers. I'm sure freaks have been born with 0 or close to it, or super tasters with 120K+

nacho cheese and pepper jack come to mind...