Wine Thread?

Wine Thread.

Share what you're sipping on, recommend wines, talk about whatever pretentious shit people who drink wine talk about.

I ordered pic related online and it was just delivered today.
Pretty new to wine, but I really like malbecs, and this one is fantastic.
Had a glass with some salmon tonight for dinner.
I think it would go great with some Bulgarian feta, but I moved away from home, and don't have a local store that imports it anymore.

Highly recommend.

Other urls found in this thread:

palmbay.com/producers/Roscato/about
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Having this with some skirt steak

Haven't cracked it open yet but cheap piedmont nebbiolo never seems to disappoint

What's some fancy looking European wine I can drink and look like a smug jackass while doing so? Preferably under $50 a bottle.

Blaufrankisch

It's oxidated :\ the '13 vintage was fire tho

Any suggestions for a new wine drinker? What should I start with?

What do you normally eat?

McChiken

What do you like/what are you looking for?

Not that I know much myself.

I'd say go to a wine tasting with some friends or something to get a feel for what you like and don't like, then start looking for bottles of that type of wine. Also you can look online for highly rated bottles of all kinds of varieties.

a rose' or pic related

Then anything from Barefoot.

#winemind

Apothic Red, Barefoot, The Prisoner, or Mommy's Time Out

Recs for malbecs or similar, deep, medium-to-full bodied reds. Fruity, but deep and dry.

I eat a lot of fish, mostly salmon, catfish, and perch, but I like darker wines that would typically be paired with beef or lamb.

I've got this for tomorrow evening.

Puppatemi sta fava burgeroni de sta minchia

Italian master race here, got a nice Sangiovese tonight with my mates, bought it from a family friend that sells in bulk.. Paid less than 5€ for 2 liters. The rosé is just for comparison, wasn't that great desu

Anyway, wine is one of the few things that are still good in Italy, other than that sweet sweet underage pussy

Any wine from burgundy with a label printed in old english.
Are you asking us what you want to like? Go out and try stuff senpai. But I always think a good starting point is California Pinot Noir, something from Sonoma would be a good start and a base to move from.

I'll answer questions if anyone has any.
t.sommelier

>California Pinot Noir
cats_puking_to_dubstep.avi

>I'll answer questions if anyone has any.

I don't know much about wine, but I'm looking to try a bunch of stuff to find more stuff I like.

if you could shill one wine, shill it please

>Any wine from burgundy with a label printed in old english.

Is this good enough user?

3 thieves at costco. 1.5 liters for 10 bucks and it is a tasty blend.

If you like malbec, you'll probably like Shiraz as well. Peppery and a dark fruits, a bit like malbecn in that sense.

Look for Penfold's. They do some really stellar shiraz.

I've never had any Australian wine, but I checked my supermarket online and pick related can be picked up for under 10 bucks, so I'll probably give it a try next time I go shopping.
They don't have any Penfold's but I'll keep an eye out if I stop at a liquor store in the future.

I've had it. Nothing special for piedmont, but it's better than the equally priced stuff from other regions I would say.

I normally drink riesling exclusively but I didn't think it'd go well with a meatball sub.

Discounted hipster pinot noir it was then. Not very tannic so it creeps up on you. Very clean oak and dark red fruit tastin.

>Apothic Red
I been drinking this because it's only $10. which wine has the most resveratrol??

>Wine under ten bucks
>Australian
Prepare to be disappointed

I figured as much, but it's gotten modestly decent reviews.
The supermarket I go to across the street from work doesn't have much in the way of shiraz.

I'm sure you could look like a smug jackass with a Miller Light.

Just buy resveratrol pills if you actually believe in that shit

Those cheap supermarket reds are loaded with adjuncts and made of shit-tier fruit that has high levels of mycotoxins. Whatever age-extension magic you get from the resveratrol is getting cancelled out and then some

Thoughts????

>not even a region, just Italia
>no vintage
>sweet red

How much is it? 1.99?

>anyone else poisoning the image search with falsies?
>managed to slip in two this time
>fuck machine learning

>roscato? wtf
>google finds this:
>palmbay.com/producers/Roscato/about
>bunch of meaningless drivel
>doesn't even say WTF it's made out of
it's "wine for regular normal people who hate wine - just like you and me!"

wouldn't drink it if you paid me

>it's "wine for regular normal people who hate wine - just like you and me!"
Sounds like they put cheap boxed wine in a bottle for the 30 year old whores that used to drink franzia in highschool and uni but need a bottle now to not seem so juvenile

rude

>30 year olds drink $2 wine
Sounds like high school is where her education ended. Shale oil region?

It's the house wine at olive garden. I used to work at a liquor store and people bought the shit out of it. I tried it for 7$. It's 6% alcohol or something, slightly carbonated, and just tastes like grape juice.

Boxed wine at the same price level per liter is typically noticeable better than bottled.

>women
>having taste
Don't get me wrong, I played slap the bag and had a good time with some cheap shit wine, but I've seen some women serve some absolute crap at dinner parties and praise how smooth and "delicate" their shitty wine was.
Not that I'm any expert, but come on

>someone doesn't drink or care about wine
>suddenly a dinner party, better serve wine!
>it's crap
Why do you think this is a woman thing? There's an enormous amount of propaganda out there that tells people that all wine is the same and that caring about wine is pretentious. I've met plenty of women who have great taste in wine, and plenty with shit taste. Same as anything else.

What's your favourite Rosé?

I get that people don't like/care about wine, and that's fine. It's the people that pretend to like and appreciate wine, but then drink domesticated spritzer tier stuff.
People have different tastes, and some don't care for it at all, but for the people that start getting all pretentious about wine, at least drink/serve some decent stuff. You don't gotta pay more than 20 bucks to find a decent bottle, but don't serve a 7 dollar bottle of cab sauv and tell me how much you appreciate a good bottle of wine.

I heard that Blue Nun was famous for being popular in the 80s then somehow everyone stopped liking it, picked up a bottle the other day and tried it and really enjoyed it. Any other thoughts on it?

>slightly carbonated
Is it really carbonated though or is it double fermented to create a still wine with a slight fizzy taste though? Blue nun is like that, as are a few other similar ones from Germany like Black Tower

Not a wine guy, but wouldn't double fermentation increase the abv?

It's the media's influence. People who don't drink wine get these stupid ideas from TV and movies. Like the idea that when you're drinking wine you need a running monologue of tasting notes, or when you're at a restaurant you need to have an encyclopedic knowledge of a wine list you've never seen before in your life, or that the purpose of wine is to guess the price or some dumb shit like that.

People who don't give a shit about wine primarily associate wine with movie scenes involving class conflict so they instinctively feel that whenever wine comes up there's going to be a humiliation scene with themselves as the target. God forbid they just enjoy the wine. Instead they either start doing the stupid fucking monologue thing even though they have no idea what they're even saying, or they just get defensive and demand a beer like a child screeching for tendies.

This in itself sounds like a comedy movie, I'd love to see it in real life.

>they instinctively feel that whenever wine comes up there's going to be a humiliation scene with themselves as the target.
If that ain't the truth. My boss took me to this wine place and he asked me what I liked, and I just had to say I have not idea, because I never really drank wine.
I get the whole historical intrigue and learning about all the regions and everything, but it's like a crime to just drink a bottle of wine, say man that's good, and stop there.

Well maybe the added sugar refermented because of the low alcohol level, but its also possible that the CO2 was added on purpose. People do everithing nowadays to mask the faults in their wine.

Blue Nun is at the lowest end of what's legally allowed to be called "wine" in germany, in this category adding sugar is allowed, so it's probably due to that

>Why do you think this is a woman thing?
Because women have no clue about anything.

Joe Wagner, or Cathy Corison?

Hmm I guess if I pick the Corison it makes me some kind of SJW feminazi

Pretty much all of Lindeman's is "okay", considering they can be had for between $4 and $7.

I actually quite like the Bin 40 Merlot, and the pinot grigio is good for cooking.

It was alright but a bit light and I'm not usually the type to say that as a criticism. It was practically a rose

My favorite is still Vallana

absolute cracker, good luck finding it outside of oz though.

This, but it only shows up once every few years

Drinking this tonight. Never disappointed with the wines from this guy for the price; one of my favorite choices around $10-15

Just had this with dinner.
Pretty fantastic for under 20 bucks.
I'm a big fan of Argentinian wines, some really good shit for the price.

Is it bad that I like champagne better than wine? I like the fizz and lower amount of tannins, but it gives me a headache after a while. What is a good wine that is smooth but not sour or really"tannic?"

Vouvray.

It's a good gateway to "classy" wines. It's a little sweet, but not as sweet as something like a Riesling or Gewurztraminer, and goes with almost any sort of food. Plus, since Loire region wines haven't gotten much press coverage in America, it's still relatively inexpensive compared to other French wines.

There was an Aussie wine, Rosemount Estate, that I was into in college.

It's hard to say what you mean by "not sour" or "not tannic" because I have no idea what you've tasted, or in what context. White wines have lower tannins than red wines. "Sour" implies acidity but wines with a lot of sugar taste horrible without a fair amount of acidity. Fatty foods, salty foods, sweet foods, and high protein foods drastically affect how you perceive the taste of a wine.

Champagne is, objectively speaking, on the more acidic side of things as far as wine goes, so the fact that you didn't perceive it as "sour" just goes to show you that you can't just take one characteristic in a vacuum and say "I like my wines to have a lot of _____". You have to evaluate the whole package, and then some. This, incidentally, is why a lot of people just get frustrated and dismiss the whole thing as a scam.

Also, champagne *is* wine so you don't actually like it better than wine. You just like it better than some other wines.

I don't know anything about wine, but I've been drinking this and I like it.

Just got a few cases of reds for volunteering at a local winery, my buddy works there. Basically you get $10 an hour, but half off the selection.
The 2 cases of red blends are pretty good, I'm no wine expert, but I like them, they aren't sweet which I prefer and their like $40 bottles so I can down one, get sloppy and be fine the next day.

I do have a case of Les Trois Rouge which my friend called cooking wine - is there specific kinds of food I'm supposed to use it with or should I just go for it?

Google says it's $28/btl

It's from the Sierra Foothills

I'm all for spending more on quality, but it seems like a lot of producers from no-name places jack up the prices of their wine in order to make it seem like there's more demand for it than there really is

I love Malbecs. Currently I'm infatuated with La Posta Angel Paulucci. It's such a great wine at a really spectacular price point.

I had a really strange wine from Donkey & Goat it was their Grenache noir (El Dorado) that had some secondary fermentation in the bottle and gave it a kombucha like fizz.

If you mostly drink riesling I highly recommend tracking down some Joh Jos Prum. It's absolutely amazing. I'm sitting on a couple of bottles right now that I expect are going to be killer in another six or seven years.

I still have one of those sitting on my rack. It's more a novelty though, the other one I drank was past it's prime by quite a bit.

I also keep a bottle of this around. Charles Smith wines are always solid.

Anything from Mendoza

Moscato is where it's at.

argie 'bec is almost always terrible and when it's good it's not worth it

just drink red wine from cahors, it's the same grape except it isn't ruined with nasty overdoses of oak

Love a cabernet. Looks good.

Anyone tried chocolate block?

The only two at my grocery store that catch my eye are Paranoia and 19 Crimes.
Anyone know if they're any decent?

>grocery store
>wine
No, they're not

Go to a store that sells primarily wine and don't be shy about asking for help