Humanities or STEM

Is it even possible to get a humanities degree anymore?

Reading the biographies of translators or academics who translate novels or write about philosophy always makes me sad. I did fine in high school and got into college with a nice scholarship but I never found a true serious passion for linguistics or language or literature as a 15 year old, now I'm in a mid-level STEM major that I find fulfilling, but I can't seem to shake the image of being a passionate translator who immerses myself in a certain language and culture and pores over classics translating them into English.

Are any of you in humanities? Is it worth it to tie yourself down in grad school pursuing some romantic book dream?

STEM
Might as well make a little money while doing the same stuff humanities people do

Always time for a hobby dude. Graduated w/ double major in phi and a social science. Only change I would have done would have been a trade from social sci to something a little more technical.

Grad school is a meme in the humanities - it's overcrowded, overcompetitive, and overpaid. If you love the material and are diligent, you can find a way to make the classics a really rewarding part of your life.

underpaid, little typo there.

It isn't as if the two are mutually exclusive.

I was a technical writer, which is classified as a "STEM" position because most of the job is talking with autistic illiterates and translating their Rain Man doodles into something Joe Average can understand.

I'm a teacher now but only because the pay is a bit better. Hasn't stopped me from having hobbies or writing in my spare time. Are you looking for validation in college pedigree? Because you shouldn't.

Why don't you fucking brainlets ever consider double majoring? This is why everyone thinks, and rightfully believes, that humanities majors, and people who pursue humanities full time, are fucking stupid compared to STEMers. Would you not choose to be a genius physicist rather than a genius writer, if you had the chance? Are you not trying to compensate from your lack of intelligence by pretending to be an "artist?" No? Then prove it, and major in both. Prove that your not just trying to compensate, prove that you're not just pretending to yourself "I have a different brain but I am just as smart as STEM people!" and get a useful degree in the process. I double majored in Chemical engineering and philosophy, and it was difficult, but doable. If humanities aren't inferior to STEM, and if humanities people are just as smart as STEM people, then why not prove that you can do both, and beat them at their own game, or at least be competent in it? Unless you are a genius writer or philosopher, which I doubt you are, you will forever have an inferiority complex if you do otherwise.

>people have different types of brains hurr durr
If you're not an idiot, like you claim, you can do both STEM and humanities. STEM majors and engineering especially doesn't require you to be a fucking genius, although they are objectively significantly more difficult than any humanities major

>hurrr fuccking durr I want to only pursue humanities becuase that's my passion!
Grow the fuck up. Unless your parents are rich as fuck, you need to learn to be more practical in life, and need to learn to provide for yourself. And people who are always babied by their parents end up being immature, weak, effeminate pieces of shit anyways. You have more than enough time in college to both practice your writing/read and get a degree in STEM if you put in the effort and manage your time well.

>waah waah wagecuck you're just going to be a wagecuck!!! waah I'm a free artist spirit!! bureacracy can't pin me down!!!
If you're not a lazy piece of shit, you can pursue both STEM and humanities, and be competent at both. If you end up being lucky, and getting published as a great writer, I congratulate you, and am happy that you don't have to be a part of the corporate world, or anything like that, which is painful for many. If not, then you have much more opportunities available to you because of your useful degree. Yes, work is not fun, but part of being a fucking grownup is about learning to push through boredom and pain for the sake of advancing yourself and trying to find meaning in life. If you can't survive in bureacracy, you are weak.

>you should just pursue what you LOVE :) life is all about having fun and cupcakes :))))
If you love humanities, and dislike STEM, that really is no reason to not get a STEM degree. I was much more interested in philosophy than chemical engineering, but I knew that it wouldn't have been a good idea to just major in philosophy.

why do you think people with humanities degrees can't get normal corporate jobs? an english degree is one of the most common in the corporate world. sure stem can get you some more starting money and maybe more security it's not like a humanities degree is guaranteed poverty. you're falling for a meme here buddy.

tell me more about how you rationalise your shitty life choices by telling yourself that you're STRONG, user

I didn't say that, idiot. I said that STEM majors have more opportunities than pure humanities majors, which is objectively true. If you go to a top 5 school, than your major isn't as important, obviously, because you have more opportunities than the average person in general, but it still makes a difference.

>Grow the fuck up. Unless your parents are rich as fuck, you need to learn to be more practical in life, and need to learn to provide for yourself. And people who are always babied by their parents end up being immature, weak, effeminate pieces of shit anyways. You have more than enough time in college to both practice your writing/read and get a degree in STEM if you put in the effort and manage your time well.

Amen brother.

I'd revise a little bit though, probably to something like 'The bills are coming, don't bury your head under the sand'. A double major from a humanity isn't strictly necessary to succeed after college, but you sure as fuck should have some internships/connections/clubs/vocational skills ready for after graduation. There's no inherent reason a STEM degree would be necessary in the case of a person who just likes the humanities as a subject and is prepped in some sort of trade skill.

Also congrats on the Chemiengi/Phi combo. Had a double major like that in my phi capstone, was a hell of a dude.

Please tell me more about how you rationalize your inability to cope with difficult environments as you being a "free spirited artist" and not an immature piece of shit

"top 5 school" the memes keep coming bud. have you ever talked to an actual HR person from any major company? i'm not saying a stem degree isn't great and will get you a really good job, but the reality of a humanities degree is so far from the doom and gloom you're describing, even from a state school.

have fun with that strawman, boss. no 'free spirited artist' here, just someone who thinks you sound like a dick. no reason to have such a big-ass chip on your shoulder just because you worked super-duper hard like a big boy at university

>A double major from a humanity isn't strictly necessary to succeed after college, but you sure as fuck should have some internships/connections/clubs/vocational skills ready for after graduation. There's no inherent reason a STEM degree would be necessary in the case of a person who just likes the humanities as a subject and is prepped in some sort of trade skill.

Agreed. If you're a top English student at Princeton, then you will be fine if you network. The average deluded pretentious Veeky Forums user is not this person.

What doom and gloom did I describe? The only thing I said was that STEM majors have more opportunities. If you want to optimize your future, then why not do both?

calling humanities majors effeminate pieces of shit who can't cope with the real world, etc. etc. it's just the normal stem stuff dressed up with some "but I read classics too." while displaying the same cluelessness about the real world. if your goal is to make as much money as possible then yeah go for stem even if you hate it. it's extremely easy to make a comfortable living and provide for a family with any college degree (even if it's not from a "my dad" school.) if you just wanted to say stem majors have more opportunities then i'd suggest removing all the self important shit in between those points.

You literally just strawmanned me by assuming that I make shitty life decisions and call myself "strong" to justify it. I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I said in my post, if you make it as an artist, I would be happy for you. If you are a genius, with no inferiority complex, then I congratulate you. To the average person who is trying to decide and plan for their future, it would be very helpful to study both humanities and STEM.

also theres this retarded notion that everyone who studies humanities is motivated by some self centered desire to be an artist, i mean, could you get any memier?

>calling humanities majors effeminate pieces of shit who can't cope with the real world, etc. etc.
Not what I said. I quote: "people who are always babied by their parents end up being immature, weak, effeminate pieces of shit"

I wasn't talking about all humanities majors. if you love humanities so much, then why are you so bad at reading? I was talking about people deciding between pursuing the path of pure humanities and pure STEM, people on the cusp of this decision.

>if you just wanted to say stem majors have more opportunities then i'd suggest removing all the self important shit in between those points.

No. What I was arguing against probably didn't apply to you, anyways. if you majored in humanities and did well, congrats. I'm arguing not that you are an idiot, but that if you make the decision to work hard and to pursue both humanities and stem, you will have even less risk. I'm arguing agains the mindset of many people who go into humanities.

Again, another humanities idiot who can't read. I'm wasn't talking about all humanities majors.
Also, In the OP:
>Is it worth it to tie yourself down in grad school pursuing some romantic book dream?
This is the mindset I was responding to.

i see what you mean and of course there are people like this. there are the same people in the stem field. my sister is a talented chem E major and is forced to deal with autistic stem superiority complexes all day, "smart" kids who flunk out due to pure pretension. your writing style betrays any point you're trying to make here, and over reliance on stupid stem vs humanities tropes doesn't help either.

Again, stop making assumptions about what I'm thinking. I never said that there weren't these people. I don't think STEM people are superior to humanities people, and I never said it. Pretentious STEMtards are just as insufferable, obviously. My post just happened to be addressed the pretentious humanities people. It doesn't mean that I don't think the others exist.

Fpbp

STEM. Always STEM.