Has everything in ya been done? I can't think of anything that doesn't resemble a published work

Has everything in ya been done? I can't think of anything that doesn't resemble a published work.

Then stop looking for inspiration in a board composed solely of white males who talk solely about books written by select schools of white males (and Ayn Rand).

Read some feminist literature or something, challenge yourself and your perspectives. There's a lot going on outside of Veeky Forums.

>Has everything in ya been done?

No.

>I can't think of anything that doesn't resemble a published work.

That's why you won't ever be published.

Take a classic work of fiction and retell it in a modern high school setting.

Yes, do this because NOBODY ELSE has thought of it.

>muh white whale
Exceptional shitposting lmao. Eat shit.

Write an extremely serious story about masturbation. Two main characters, one is a girl who is somehow exposed as a masturbator, and is bullied because of it. The other is a boy who is a late bloomer who thinks there's something wrong with him because all his mates talk about choking the chicken constantly and he has never done it or felt the desire to.

Why do you say no? And books that are carbon copies of one another are published all the time

>And books that are carbon copies of one another are published all the time

There's a huge difference between being published, and actually making money or becoming popular.

there hasn't been much dystopian ya fiction maybe write about that

The person I responded to mentioned being published. Not how successful the book would be.

There's tons of shit that gets published, that never makes a dime or catches on. In fact, the vast majority of stuff that gets published ends up here.

I don't get Veeky Forums's fascination with just being published. There's tons of easy ways to just get published, if that's all your looking for, none will make you any money, and nobody will read it, but....sure you can say you're published, even though it's not doing a damn thing for you.

also the fact that having a FAILED publishing credit under you belt is generally worse than not being published.

Tons of failed writers out there that throw around the stuff they had published that didn't do anything, and anyone in the publishing industry will look at that and think, "Oh, so somebody else took a chance with this loser and failed? Welp, no need for me to do it."

Getting published, and getting published in a smart, successful way are very different things.

No, you're just uncreative.

How do I become more creative? But the successful books like Twilight weren't well written or special. They just took old ideas and put a twist to it.

>But the successful books like Twilight weren't well written or special. They just took old ideas and put a twist to i

When did I say anything about well written or special being synonymous with being successfully published?

A book doesn't have to be GOOD to become popular or make money.

All it has to do is catch the imagination of people.

More to the point, most published works don't catch the imagination of people.

The goal isn't to get published, so you can say you're published and never gain anything, but to get published and have your works actually catch on in some way.

This isn't a scam you're running. You might think of twilight as that, but the author genuinely believed in the series, and so do it's fans.

What do you mean by catch the imagination? What do books like TFIOS, hunger games, twilight, fifty shades have in common?

Why are people who write here so focused on originality and prose if a GOOD book is not required for being successful?

>What do books like TFIOS, hunger games, twilight, fifty shades have in common

They catch the imagination of people. They interest them, they excite them, etc...

>Why are people who write here so focused on originality and prose if a GOOD book is not required for being successful?

Because they don't know what they're talking about. It's Veeky Forums dude....

>They catch the imagination of people. They interest them, they excite them, etc...

They also weren't written by jaded weirdos who thought, "Hey my omage to joyce was never published, so the world is bullshit and I'm just going to write some shitty YA novel and throw it out there and hope it catches on."

The people who wrote those books, even if you don't like them, genuinely believed in them, and worked really hard and put a lot of thought and energy and emotion into them. AND, even if you don't like their work, they actually were fairly talented authors too.

Say what you want about twilight, it's definitely shitty, but it's still better quality than 99% of stuff that gets posted on critique threads here.

There's no such thing as getting published in a smart, successful way. Do you even NYT?

billion $$$$ idea: write the YA infinite jest

you write a YA book thats a thousand page and its just a little harder than all the other YA books. its a YA book for genius YA readers who need something a little more challenging and who can use your book lord it over all the other kids in the schoolyard.

you make up a bunch of characters, you jack up the vocabulary like three notches about YA, and you sprinkle math equations throughout the thing just to make it look very high tech, but keep it basic like "7 + 2 = 9" because its YA.

anyway feel free to steal that idea. im hitting post, no regrets.

So there's no such thing as looking at popular magazines, seeing what types of work they publish, and finding something that you could write that fits their style?

Because you know, that wouldn't be a smarter way to do it than trying to con some bullshit you wrote into every school paper or whatever the current Veeky Forums magazine is, so you can go around and brag to everyone that your published, and anyone actually in the industry will look at that cred and see right away that it's bullshit.

I always like when Veeky Forums gets the bright idea every two weeks to start their own lit journal, so they can submit to that and say they're published. I really wonder if they go around sending queries to agents claiming they're published after that.

>Agent: Oh, this says you're published, where at?
>Fag: In Veeky Forums quarterly!
>Agent: Oh, never heard of it. Where else are you published?
>Fag: Uh....uhm....n-n-nowhere.
>Agent: Ok, bye.

lmao, the classic foils, agent & fag

If you try hard enough every story could be reduced to primordial elements that finds their roots in mythologies in archetypes. The best you can do to break from this is to comment on it, but in this sense, it's like what Whitehead said about the philosophical tradition: it's all a footnote (to Plato). So you can either carry the traditions forward or react to them; either way, your bound in some sense by universal themes.

I think the best writers are the ones who manage to renew these traditional stories and, in doing so, imbue them with new life so as to make the impact of their novelty felt as though it were both an epiphany and an obvious truth.

Of course not.

The hilarious[ly sad] part is you must have thought that was an intelligent thing to say.

Great job. You just described a shitty one-season series on MTV.

underrated

>implying it wouldn't be a bestseller

Vaguely taboo subject + safe inclusive message = $$$

Kill me, Pete

It depends on how you define success.

The user you were speaking with seems to equate success with popularity and wealth.

Disregard him and those like him.

Many of the greats were not appreciated in their own times, and most of the best-selling authors will be forgotten before they're cold in the ground.

Focus on writing a good book, and don't let the popularity-chasing plebs convince you to do anything less.

Success is the ability to operate at the pinnacle of your own talent - to look at something you've poured your time, your thoughts, and efforts into and feel satisfied with the quality of what you've produced.

"And you shall drink your cup alone, and though it taste of blood and tears, thank God for the gift of taste." ~ Al Mustafa, Garden of the Prophet by Khalil Gibran

This thread is about YA, user.

Good point.

>The user you were speaking with seems to equate success with popularity and wealth.

It's a pretty good measure in terms of writing. There's thousands of books that get published every year, that you will never read or even hear about. In fact, there's millions of books published in the past that you've never heard of, and will never discover. Out of those hundreds of thousands of authors, maybe a handful of them are those gems who weren't appreciated in their time, so that doesn't seem a very realistic goal to strive to be one of those.

>Many of the greats were not appreciated in their own times,

Actually, a lot of the greats WERE appreciated in their own times, maybe not as much as they would have liked, or they weren't consider a great, but almost all of them had a decent level of recognition and commercial success.

>and most of the best-selling authors will be forgotten before they're cold in the ground

So? Many of the greats of their time were also forgotten. Also keep in mind there's no such thing as eternity, or immortality, there will come a time where shakespeare doesn't exist, you know?

>Focus on writing a good book

I really wouldn't put it this way. "Good" is way too subjective, but the best chance of success you'll ever have is write what you really fucking want to write. There's no guarantee it'll succeed, but it's the best chance you got. Trying to imitate others, or write what you think the market wants is a pretty good path to failure.

>"Dumbass starving artist quote"

If you have that attitude, that congratulations because you've already succeeded in the nothing that you hope to achieve.

Pleb, THE POST

Yes. But since ya is relatively new trend, it is generally of low quality and most things can be rewritten better if you are willing to make such an effort.