what is the most literary anime?

Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Monster

FLCL

Serial Experiments Lain

Spice and Wolf

Miyazaki

Also if you haven't watched NGE, the movie End of Evangelion is mandatory. The studio didn't have enough money to finish the series, so they had to revisit it later to complete it with a movie.

Love Live! School Idol Project

Obviously Eva.

Not that it's going to make you super smart but it's basically an introduction to Freud in cartoon form.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
End of Evangelion
Haibane Renmei/ Nia Under 7
Ping Pong: The Animation
Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress
Monster is shit, rest of the list is okay i guess.

Ghost in the Shell, of course.

(the 1995 film)

Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion
Watching them made me stop watching anime.

Naruto Shippuden. Not even joking.

duh

>Monster is shit

You shut your fucking mouth.

>NGE
>Monster
God tier anime

Wow, it looks great!

go read Stephen King or jack off to Spielberg faggot.

The adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo (Gankutsuou) is another.

2 is good 2

Utena is the only Veeky Forums anime.

Addendum, it's the only Veeky Forums anime besides this:

Hey what about Psychopass? Someone rec'd it to me and Im probably going to watch it. Have any of yall watched it

Its alright. Beats you over the head with themes at some points but its pretty enjoyable.

all of them lad

Uchouten Kazoku
Evangelion
Monster
Medaka Box

The best anime are not literary anime though, like Kaiji or Hunter X Hunter

badly overrated or pretentious, low brow dogshit that will be recommended in this thread:
Lain
Anything that Miyazaki did other than the original Eva
Legends of the Galactic Heroes
Katanagatari

Simpsons

>Myzazaki having anything to do with Eva

baka, your taste is shit too.

Ohhh right

Anno, not Miyazaki

What a slip

Miyazaki isn't Veeky Forums either though

There can only be one truly Veeky Forums animu.

Kare Kano is fucking good and so is most of Miyazaki's middle period. How can you think Monster is anything more than cheap, ugly-looking HBO-tier fodder for the masses and call something with a truly interesting style of visual storytelling like Lain low-brow?

>read or die
>the pages are filled with drawings instead of letters

>Kare Kano
Gosh this is overrated. The development is all too convenient, everything important is rushed, and there's a ton of filler. Also, I've never seen a budget get so clearly mishandled.

Monster is absolutely trying to set itself apart by its maturity (like contemporary literary fiction), but it really does have writing far better than most anime. I can understand disliking it because of its excruciating pacing and its appeal to middle brow audiences who dismiss anime as childish, but it's very well written. Lain is not well written, and its visuals and direction are about the only thing it has going for it. It's only popular now because of waifuists and pretentious morons who worship obscurantism.

Kino's Journey is Veeky Forums as hell. Watch it and Mushishi op

Anno got fired after the first half, the second half of Kare Kano barely counts as anime, more of a slide show. What sets KK apart from most romance anime is the way it treats its characters and the visual component. Sure, this is a regular teenage romance but I've rarely found a director better at underscoring a character arc with precise imagery. All those shots of parking cars, dripping faucets and the simplistic but very pleasing animation. It's just a marvel.

Secondly, you should really give Lain a rewatch if you think the writing thrives on obscurantism. There is a very clear story going on but most of it is told visually. The faded buildings in the very first episode, Lain's uncanny movements and perception, you can easily tell that there's something going on that the script DOESN'T communicate. This is an intended effect and only works in the shows favor.

Thirdly, no, Monster is just formalistic garbage and completely unrelated to Veeky Forums because there is nothing interesting or new going on at all in the narrative.

Most of you probably won't understand, but Hunter x Hunter and Berserk.

Yeah, NGE and End of Evangelion was my first choice. The first Ghost In The Shell is a nice choice as well.

My man

I would also say Texhnolyze, although there's a couple things about it I didn't exactly love, but they definitely weren't dealbreakers.

i actually facepalmed

Someone explain to me what they like about Evangelion. Japs fucking love Psychonalysis and it's ridiculous.

I've watched Texhnolyze and enjoyed that as well, what didn't you like about it?

If you've watched ergo proxy I'd like to hear your opinion on that as well

>facepalmed
Nobody gives a shit about what you think.

>I've rarely found a director better at underscoring a character arc with precise imagery
The stock transitions, like the dripping faucets, and the soundtrack were both so repetitive they made the intended mood tactless and formulaic. The animation was definitely well above average, though, when budget strains weren't obvious. I didn't know Anno got fired halfway through.

>you can easily tell there's something going on
Obviously there's an uncanny, daydreamy atmosphere that makes the show blatantly surreal or psychological. The actual plot was just not that good, there were no good character interactions or dialogue, it stood on visuals and atmosphere alone.

>nothing interesting or new going on at all
I disagree. It operated well as a thriller when it got moving, and a lot of the scenes, particularly having to do with children, were very memorable. The characters who took up the most screen time were generally very boring, I'll admit, but there were good minor characters throughout, and good set pieces and dialogue. It was austere and minimalist in an affected way, but when it spoke it spoke well. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I remember really admiring it.

Although it's been a while since I've seen the series, Ichise getting butchered early on in the series but surviving, but a shot in the arm at the end slowly brings him to his death. I admit I can't remember my other gripes about decisions some of the characters made, but like I said, no dealbreakers.

Anne of Green Gables
Gankutsuou

>Berserk

Explain

Shinji is a very relatable character, there's a lot of phisophical aspects beyond the Freudian stuff (the battle with leliel is basically Kierkegaard 101) and characters like Rei, Asuka and Kaworu are all well developed

kemono no souja erin

Tatami Galaxy is based off of a novel where the main character relives the same years of college but joins a different club ('circles' in Japanese colleges are very important.)

The character narrates the story to himself like a detective would and the speed of the first person narration is incredibly fast as if each episode rifles through a chapter of the novel.

It's a "stop worrying and learn to enjoy the ride" kind of plot.

Both the animation and novel have won multiple awards.

One more because I really gotta sell this to you.

>No one has posted Bernard-jou Iwaku yet

what's this

Slow pacing. No characterization for most of the cast. Reliant on twists and shocks. Good OST and animation though (doesn't change the fact that alot of people die by acting like teens in Friday the 13th.)
Also, deeply pretentious, and the world building makes less sense the more you think about it.

It's edgy and has rape monsters.