SLEEZE BALL HOLE IN THE WALL

What is a hole in the wall spot in your town that is absolutely awful? And it's so bad that you wonder how they're still open?

>Monrovia, CA
>Los Victor's on Foothill blvd
>Ran by some dirty mexican
>He is so desperate for money that he will overcharge you on food, and still short you by one or two tacos if you order large, and hopes that you don't catch him
>Only takes cash, and if you are carrying 20s, you are basically too rich to shop here, because he never has any change.
>he will drop your food on the floor and still feed it to you
>You can't cancel your order or ask for a refund. They will just try to give you more tacos that they have dropped on the floor.

Pic related, some cartoon a cute asian girl drew about the place. She apparently had a good experience, but it I posted it to show that cartoons are obviously not an accurate representation of real life, because this spot is a shit hole.

Read this for massive keks:
yelp.com/biz/los-victors-monrovia

I want to hear about the dirty food places Veeky Forums has been to.

nobody showed up

Oakville, Ontario. Used to have this place called the White Oaks Eatery. Shitty looking place run by this adorable old couple, but had amazing breakfast food. Now it's a fucking flight center.

>new saigon vietnamese restaurant
>in Seattle, WA near WSCC
>literally a hole in the wall with a hallway taking you to a basement
>fast service, only one other person in there
>two hairs in my pho
>eat it anyway, its delicious
>passes through just fine
>kinda expensive but its in a high rent neighborhood so w/e

OP didn't ask for hole-in-the-wall places that are kind of OK, they asked for absolutely awful.

Restaurants don't really last long even when they do everything right. Bad ones drop like flies.

>those reviews

>Place has terrible food, poor health standards, and, frequently rips off their customers by overcharging them.

>Right next to another, better taco place.

How is has this place not gone out of business?
How has it not been shut down after a health inspection?

Oh fuck that brings back bad memories.

My first experience with pho was at Than Brothers. The first time was ok, so I kept going back. Then apparently their dishwasher broke and they were too fucking cheap and shitty to fix it. Every bowl, every chopstick, everything was covered with grease and food particles. They didn't even pretend to wash stuff.

Absolutely disgusting. I don't know how the place was allowed to stay in business.

>you wonder how they're still open?
>cash only

These type of places stay open because they are money laundering fronts.

Also when you're running a cash business they can get pretty creative with the books.

We have a place in Maine that is the best tourist trap here. The only locals you will ever see in there, are the 70 year olds that go because of tradition (used to be a good place). No other locals would be caught dead in there.

Place is filthy, food is disgusting, and service is terrible.

I refuse to step foot in there anymore. Last time I went, was because out of state family heard about it, and wouldn't listen to me...

Long story short, entire table of food was inedible. Salad had rotting lettuce, the fried clams and onion rings were inedible due to the fry oil being rancid.

We all took 1 bite, and called for the waitress. Refused to pay, manager said no refund due to us "eating some". I argued, well fucking duh... How else are we going to taste the food to tell it's inedible?!

Aye, I know a place up the road that didn't even try to hide it.

If you walked in there was a deli menu. But 'they were out of everything'. Always. The only thing that 'deli' served was bologna sandwiches on white bread with american cheese. And when they made it for you I shit you not they got out a loaf of wonder bread and popped open a pack of Khan's bologna right in front of you.

>These type of places stay open because they are money laundering fronts.

Or a front for something else, like gambling, prostitution, or selling drugs.

That's the crazy thing about it. The best Taco spot in town is less than a few feet away from the worst taco spot in town. It's like heaven and hell colliding.

oh shit! There's another spot in my town called vegeUSA, which is always empty, and it's the only shop in the middle of nowhere. I went there when I went thru my vegetarian phase, and the place was always empty, they never restocked the shelves, and it was some fat greasy guy who'd just stand at the counter waiting for me to buy something. Never saw another soul there. I realize now that it's a front. Crazy shit!!

go back to ksg you nerd

I remember a jerk chicken restaurant near me that NO ONE went into. No decor, 1 table only, and the name of the place was literally Jerk.

I remember seeing a guy walk in and out with a paper bag of money wads. They didn't even try to hide it.

I wonder how a shitty Mexican spot could even survive in California

What did he mean by this?

Mama's in tyler texas
>fucking bland garbage
>all the drug addicts eat there cus its cheap and quiet and they stay there for like 5 hours
>put bleach in my moms buscuits no joke it was some ajax or somethin
>tyler fucking sucks it sucks and texas sucks WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE WAFFLE HOUSES
>They shoyld have never closed Dees coffee shop
>it even looks like shit

I drove through Tyler once and it was terrible even by southern standards. Who the fuck lives there and what do they do?

it's not a hole in the wall technically, but there's a chinese place in my town in right about the hipster/uni area called "mulan". it's popular enough that i always hear people talking about ordering from there, so a friend and i went one time for lunch. the place was entirely empty when we walked in. we stood around for a while at the entrance seeing if anyone would come up to the hostess stand and after about ten minutes a dude calls out to us from the back of the restaurant to sit down. he comes out to take our order and has clearly been either smoking something or drinking because he's fucking wasted and any time we order something he just kind of stands there staring at us for a few minutes and forgets things until we tell him five times (which makes us sound like assholes but it was more of: "can we get a glass of water?" "...i'm sorry, i zoned out there for a minute. what did you want?" "...can we get a glass of water?" "...i'm sorry, i zoned out there. what was it again?" over and over). he forgets to bring out something at least three times, brings out the wrong dish twice, and just fucks off after we ask for napkins and disappears for thirty more minutes. the restaurant is still entirely empty. he gets lost delivering food twice. he eventually comes out with our main entrees and mine is still missing half and then he spills whatever gooey sauce-coated piece of shit dish my friend ordered all over her, picks up the slimy balls of meat (now covered in black hair, dirt, and grime from the floor) and puts it back on her plate and before fucking off to the back again. we just sat there staring at the pile of sauce, hair, and dirt and didn’t eat any more. he seemed convinced he was gonna get a big tip too. i guess other people must have had good experiences because they always seem confused when i talk about this but i can't hear the name "mulan" without thinking of slimy red balls of chicken coated in black hair now.

I actually can't remember the name, but it had the word ginger in it. A sushi restaurant, constantly packed. My GF, a friend, and I decide to go. Long story short, we wait over an hour for cold food. I say we've waited over an hour, I'm not paying for this. They call me a liar and tell me it hasn't been an hour. My GF points out that the food is cold, and the waitress sticks her finger into my gf's dish and calls her a liar. It was so surreal. Everybody else raves about this place; I always tell them about my experience.

It's in Seattle, right? Fuck that place. It has so many health violations (I checked the health code website to check them out) that I'm surprised that they're still open all these years.

Be careful about looking at health code violations online. Sometimes they are misleading. I used to work in a very clean little restaurant and we passed every health inspection in the years I worked there. Cleaned all day erry day, kept the food at proper temps, dishes were always spotless, hand washing rituals, never a so much as a fucking ant, etc. I was management and very strict on all that. One day a trainee inspector came with her trainer and did an "unofficial" inspection "to help her learn." They were there for 4+ hours going through everything with autistic specificity. They "found" aka exaggerated / fabricated over 40 violations and it ended up online. Was absolutely furious. Still am, kinda. Very misleading to anyone who looked up our restaurant.

Should have just bribed the inspector with $500 that's how we do it in jew york. Health inspectors are a joke, either they're corrupt as fuck or they seek to find every tiny thing and turn each into a massive violation.

Its a cover for drug trafficking

went to a hole in the wall chinese place called fulin in memphis with my mom when i was a teen. food was absolutely awful, it was so hot inside we were sweating, the few people that were at tables didn't move or get any food at any point, there was an enormous pile of smashed dishes and spoiled food on the floor next to our table the ENTIRE time that no one ever bothered to clean up, took two and a half hours to get any of the terrible food and it all arrived cold, and there was a weird noise outside while we were eating and every single fucking employee there ran outside like they'd heard the fucking ice cream truck and didn't come back for thirty minutes.

If its still there: Henrietta Hots in upstate new york. Fucking disgusting restaurant, but they had the best pulled pork garbage plate i've ever eaten, so i had to keep going back.

There's a steakhouse in my hometown that will actually make you one hell of a good steak. The problem is if you want anything the fuck else. A friend of mine worked in their kitchen, he said the owner will take an almost done hamburger off the grill and throw it away in order to put a steak on. The sides also remarkably mediocre.

Theres rich fucks
And crackheads
Mostly fuckin normie country fucks there was a tornado the other day made national news

Do they got that schezchuan sauce tho

>there was an enormous pile of smashed dishes and spoiled food on the floor next to our table the ENTIRE time that no one ever bothered to clean up

At some point you just have to take personal responsibility for having fucking stayed there even though everything was filthy.

I went into a Waffle House in Tuscaloosa Alabama one time, Most WH's are great. This one was filthy, had flies buzzing around everywhere, and the niggers running the place didn't even say hello. After a few minutes I thought to myself, "Self, why the fuck am I staying here?" and I walked out.

this shit looks like literal vomit. there's a similar place in my town that gets massive amounts of business from retarded college students, because it's right by the greek houses. of course the mexican dudes that work there go directly across the street to the actual good taqueria for lunch, along with any gringos with half a brain, but the aforementioned shithole still gets like 5x the business of the good place. makes me sperg out ever so slightly.

i never wanted to go in the first place, it was my mother that was bound determined we were going to eat there since "it's stuck around for twenty years now, it has to be good".

My fiancee and I are going to Bar Harbor for our honeymoon, the restaurants all look good but do you know if anything stands out?

I recommend the Bayview hotel restaurant. You will need a suit jacket, and it's about 100 per person, but it's great.

There is another place that I can't remember, but it's at the top of a hill, and overlooks acadia. I know that's not really that helpful.

I highly recommend stopping in Portland if you are driving through.

OP you from Monrovia? If so, have you had Burger Basket?

>friend says he knows a ten dollar hot pot place
>go all the way to Monterrey park
>a place ran by chinese people in fancy suits
>sit down and get our soup
>after our first try we are asked to pay
>isnt this all you can eat?
>yes but you pay now
>YOU PAY NOW
>YOU PAY NOW
>fine
>ask for more things and keep eating
>waiter brings us the fucking check and stands there
>he just stands there for like 5 min
>YOU TIP NOW?
>he picks up the fucking recipt
>WHERE TIP? YOU TIP NOW?
>no we arent tipping we havent finished fucking eating
>he runs away and grabs the manager lady
>yes you tip now
>no we havent finished we only had one fucking plate of food
>TIP NOW
>i remain fucking adamant that i aint paying these fucking gooks, but my friends start pulling out their wallets
>they all hand me money
>waiter literally snatches the money from my hand
>doesnt even say thank you.
>dont even feel hungry anymore just mad
>key gooks car at the end.

man fuck that place, id rather pay 25 dolars and eat at the expensive ass places if i ever want hotpot, or you know make it myself.

Not op, but I grew up down the street from Burger Basket, it was great.

theres a few places, a falafel place (like probably all of them) never has customers and one time I went there to order a shwarma or some shit out of curiosity and he pulled some refrigerated stuff out, he was half asleep doing all this and cooked it on the grill. then he tried selling me old ass desert that was on the counter. I mean he really pushed the desert like he was desperate. It tasted like youd imagine and its still open. No customers.
there is a more puzzling place called Big Shucks in Dallas Tx. It has a great over 4 star review on jewgle and locals seem to love it. Its crowded when I pass it, so I tried it one day and it was utter garbage and expensive. Texans have no idea what seafood is supposed to be, it was just aweful and on top of that all the tables are filthy and you have to make your own cocktail sauce. What the fuck. Its one of those places that fries all their food, its all fried in the same oil so it all tastes the same, and they give you 2 tons of fries and some hush puppies and like 3 shrimp. It probably costs them 2 bucks to make the food and they charge 15. Little plastic cups of beer that isnt stored properly that are over 5 a piece. So be prepared to spend over 20 bucks to get gross fried food and stand in a long line to make your own cocktail sauce.
RAVE REVIEWS on how great it is. I hope it burns down.

Whoah. Oakvillian on Veeky Forums...nice. same here bud

Place in my home town (661 area for those interested) used to have mildly good burgers and breddy good fries. Stopped going there after I went behind the counter to fix their AV systems and my boot left a print with raised edges in the grease on the floor. I left middle of last year, and when I visited back for christmas, it had already been closed and turned into a starbucks.
Apparently it had the most health violations of any restaurant in the county.

It's not authentic asian dining if you don't go to the back alley and see 3 to 4 chinese guys huddled on the curb smoking cigarettes.

Yeah, I live up on lime near the library.

I've been to burger basket. It's pretty good and has been around forever.

By the way I was molested in MHS.

im certain this is pasta

>By the way I was molested in MHS.
Dope

>Or a front for something else, like gambling, prostitution, or selling drugs.

The smart ones don't use their "legitimate" business for those things like I said here . The do their drugs, prostitutes or whatever somewhere else and ship their money to these businesses.

There was some awful all you can eat Chinese buffet near me at a local strip mall that was God awful. The fries were black and soggy, everything was cold, and the icecream was melting. It finally closed down not too long ago. It's a miracle it stayed open for so long, and it was quite popular for a bit, but I guess that's what happens when you live in a shitty town filled with uknowats. The strip mall is really empty now, since the grocery store and any other place worth going to moved out. Now all that's left is a town fare tire, dollar tree, and a super cuts.

Teds fried clams? Bartleys Dockside?

What is it with all the shitty money laundering fronts? The ones I'm aware of are good successful places, because they

1) make money on their own which is good

2) can launder millions of dollars because they're actually popular

Oh shit I work next door, can confirm. Worst place in a 4/10 town.

You are overestimating the majority of drug fronts. Not everyone is pulling in huge numbers.

Nah, about 40 miles north east.

I'm about to commit Memphis heresy, but I fucking hate Yum's. Its this shitty Chinese fusion fast food chain by the university, and they sell a hamburger sub. It's literally a foot long sub with burger patties folded in it. Dressed like a burger, too. It was one of the worst things I've ever eaten in my life. Impossibly greasy, enormous, and you've got a coin flip chance that you get some fucking lunatic thug in the back that can't cook fucking fried rice correctly. Pair that with the fact that constantly thugs and ghetto motherfuckers are constantly coming in with cash wads bigger than their heads, it's a shitty place. I honestly don't know why so many other Memphians love it.

I graduated from Azusa high..but I know people that graduated there..sorry that happened user..any chance we can get you some vigilante justice?

Everytime I visit I grab a Arizona from the big ass liquor store across the parking lot while my two teriyaki burgers get finished..nostalgia like a motherfucker

>the place was literally Jerk.
This made me kek for some reason

There is a tiny hole in the wall chinese place run by an old couple from taiwan. Half of the food is decent, half is exponentially worse than any low end buffet. They have all sorts of fun violations, to things thawing by sitting on the counter near the stove to using the same spoon to mix drinks for everyone and to taste the same. Mix, taste, back in, repeat. Not to mention the place is a mess, they pull partially cooked stuff from the counter where it sits and use that to "make it fresh from scratch right when you order". The sad pit is the college students love them for the low cost some dishes have and they think it is all super good authentic food and should taste as bad as it does.

>go to pic. related after hiking in Sedona with friends
>thought we'd grab a few slices of pie and some iced tea before driving home
>place is pretty damn dusty when we go in, duct tape holding the seats together
>slice of pie is almost five bucks
>I guess we could share a few slices?
>there's a charge for sharing
>it'll cost nearly $20 either way for just pie
>leave
>stop at a Denny's about halfway home
>get a build your own burger for the same price as a slice of pie
>go home pretty happy

Looking for a picture just now I learned that they closed.
Sucks, I guess. I hear they used to be good.

Nah, it's alright. I just have to get over it on my own. Thanks tho.

wait so did you pay for the pie or just say fuck it and leave?

>there's a charge for sharing
FUCK who does that?

We said fuck it and left.

winner winner chicken dinner

Which Than Brothers? I've been going to the one in Ballard for years with no problems.

There was a family dinner my grandmother was obsessed with. It was the most average restaurant and the staff didn't really care. Years later I went back and now it's been remodeled so many times it's a real restaurant. The nostalgia is ruined because the food is actually decent

>go to some "fancy" place in the middle of fucking nowhere, Upper Michigan
>they want like 35 bucks for the cheapest item, spaghetti
>steak's like 65 bucks, burger's like 40
>3 dollar charge for a fucking empty plate

We ended up leaving without ordering anything.

It aint. The place it happened to us closed down.
It's called sechuan hot pot and bbq in Monterey park.
Chinese places are racist as duck to you if you ain't chinese.