Guess I'm going vegan

My doctor told me I'm at risk of a heart attack (I also have diabetes) and that the best way to protect my health is to go on a plant-based diet (aka a vegan diet).

So I'm going vegan I guess. Actually looking forward to it, should be fun trying out all the new recipes and products. Already tried Gardein and gotta say it blew my mind because it actually tasted really good. So so far it seems like it'll be pretty easy.

I can come up with basic vegan dishes that would taste pretty good - but I want some fancier recipes for days when I want to spoil myself more. Any vegans here or people with experience cooking vegan food who have some recommendations? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs
thepermanentejournal.org/issues/2013/spring/5117-nutrition.html
forksoverknives.com/is-fish-a-health-food-or-have-we-just-let-it-off-the-hook/
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/69.full
nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-diets-for-diabetes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why go full vegan rather than just vegetarian? Vegan's much more of a pain in the ass.

Be a man and eat real food until you die

Doctor said no dairy or eggs either. They're just as bad as meat. Will be easy for me to cut those out - tried cashew milk and I actually prefer it to cow milk. That'll be no problem.

You should kill your doctor, that'll show em.

I'd rather be a man and eat real food and not die. What kind of pussy refuses to change their diet because it's not seen as "manly" when their current diet will literally kill them? Think you're confused about what it means to be a man, bro. Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I'm suicidal.

>Doctor said no dairy or eggs either. They're just as bad as meat.
Get a new Doctor as the man is a fool, a good nutritionist can give you a vegetarian diet without the crazy restrictions vegans have.

>Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I'm suicidal.
This post was not written by a Russian.

Your doctor is a fucking idiot, mate.

What kind of pussy doesn't realize that all of those 110+ aged people always say they eat ice cream and bacon and coffee every day?

Why didn't Jack LaLanne live past 100 and this old porch possum did?

youtube.com/watch?v=BXyfCGDnuWs

never understood why vegans make their own "beefless" beefs. its like christian metal, lame and nonsensical with their supposed beliefs.

they want to feel the delicious flavor and texture of meat but without the guilt? will they end making fully living artificial animals and then eat them? whats their endgame?

Well to be honest they're not the first doctor to tell me that. I've been obese for a long time and I just didn't listen before when they were telling me I should go on a vegan diet to lose weight and help with my diabetes. But now my life is really at risk and I'm just going to go all in. Dairy and eggs have loads of cholesterol. It's easy enough for me to not use them. I barely go out to eat anymore anyway so most of my food will be made by me and it's simple to just replace eggs or dairy in recipes.

>Something tells me I know more than these trained professionals

I don't really care why they make them. They taste good and if it keeps me from croaking while also being able to enjoy a good burger now and then, then I'm glad they do.

>they want to feel the delicious flavor and texture of meat but without the guilt?>whats their endgame?

You answered your own question

Good luck OP, it's really not hard to make tasty vegan food. Invest in miso, it makes pretty much everything taste good

Thanks - never actually tried miso. I'll have to get some. What do you usually use it in? I know there's miso soup - not sure what else it's appropriate for.

>drank about 4 cups of coffee this mornin'
>drank about that much whiskey too

based old man

Anything that calls for some kind of savoury seasoning. Pairs really well with various vegetables, try sauteeing them with a little miso. It's great. You can also marinate sliced tofu bricks in teriyaki, soy, or diluted miso and grill them, it is quite good. Tofu can also be mixed with bread crumbs to make 'burgers.' Also a seasoned, grilled big portobello mushroom is also a good burger alternative.

Also, vegan chili is surprisingly easy to make, though it isn't quite the same. Substitute the beef for tofu.

Anyway, not even vegan. My roommate is and I feel bad when I cook for my self and my other roommate and she can't eat any of it.

-paula

im sure french fries and cake are better choices for you user

If plant-based means fresh fruits, vegetables, and more dietary fiber, yeah sure. If it means refined flours, sugars, and processed shit, no. just no. And no fish? What? Honestly, you have a shitty doctor. I've been a diabetic for 30 years. I eat a low carb, non-prepared processed food diet and my cholesterol and blood glucose levels are better because of it. It's about the glycemic load and eating the right kinds of fats. There is no good fucking way to control your blood sugar on a vegan diet. You want a pescatarian fresh food diet. Low carb, lots of vegetables, fish, some whole grains, no simple sugars or junk food. By the way, eggs, fish and avocados are great for changing your lipid profile.

If this is a vegan bait thread, disregard all of that. I don't give a shit about you.

"My doctor told me"

Post discarded.

most doctors know fuck all about nutrition

By the way, I'm middle-aged but healthy as fuck because of eating like this. I had been told to do the low-fat carb thing my whole life and it made me fat as shit. Every year I got fatter and more insulin resistant. Assholes.

>diabetes
>vegan
>fear of death
You turned in your man card a while ago friend

Sorry to tell you this but it's actually you who has the shitty doctor.

thepermanentejournal.org/issues/2013/spring/5117-nutrition.html

Vegan diets are much more beneficial for people with diabetes.

And fish is terrible for your heart:
(written by a doctor, with sources cited)
forksoverknives.com/is-fish-a-health-food-or-have-we-just-let-it-off-the-hook/

andomized clinical trial comparing a low-fat vegan diet with a diet based on the American Diabetes Association guidelines. People on the low-fat vegan diet reduced their HbA1C levels by 1.23 points, compared with 0.38 points for the people on the American Diabetes Association diet. In addition, 43% of people on the low-fat vegan diet were able to reduce their medication, compared with 26% of those on the American Diabetes Association diet.18

Up yours, shill. I've done both. If I kept doing that I would be fucking dead right now. You are absolutely 100 fucking percent wrong. You are a murderer for giving this advice to a diabetic. Have you been a diabetic for 30 years? No? Fuck you then.

Just posted this Don't

Yeah, this is a vegan bait thread. I'm out. If you're an actual diabetic, OP, I suggest you go check out beetus forums. Talk to other people with the disease, not random jerkoffs. This place is horrible for food advice for people with medical conditions. It's all retards and shills. Good luck, guy.

lmao fuck your jewdoctor is all spooks

Thanks.

I definitely did not post that...

I really just want recipes and advice when it comes to the food itself.

Also sorry to anyone who has a problem with my doctor but I think he's a bit more credible than anonymous people on the internet.

Maybe you wouldnt be so eternally assblasted if you had a burger and a beer

Yeah, who are you going to trust, a doctor, who spend probably has decades of experience and study, or a shitposter?

I love vegan tendies drenched in hot sauce
OP is a fatty and relying on cheese is a good way to add a bunch of calories to everything when you could just add more spices and herbs

Classic appeal to authority!

They literally know better than you :V

dont you have a may day riot to be planning for?

If they did they'd all recommend a plant based diet.

>Any vegans here or people with experience cooking vegan food who have some recommendations?
Mushrooms replace meat quite nicely, try some portobellos.

Bait thread. No real doctor would ever recommend going vegan.

>:V
What are you doing here you sudamerican scum

Make some Indian food. You can't go wrong. Delicious.

No shit, sherlock. It's fun to watch the shenanigans though.

>People think doctors don't recommend vegan diets all the time

Am I being trolled?

If your doctor is recommending a vegan diet it's likely because you already have a fatty liver and aren't detoxifying for shit. You're likely due for multiple organ failure.

Pussy

How disgustingly fat are you? lmao kys

The average physician is a glorified drug dealer, user. Unless you come from a medically first world country. I can only speak to the American experience.

>(I also have diabetes)
>and that the best way to protect my health is to go on a plant-based diet
>(aka a vegan diet)
I don't understand why some vegans try to force this meme. The only enemy of a diabetic are carbs. And carbs are exclusively from plants, meanwile meat is carb free. Therefore not eating animals it's not going to help you.

The only things that fucks a diabetic are
>eating too much (no matter what) and getting fat
>sweets and sugary drinks
>getting drunk (but you can consume alcohol in moderation)
>being a lazy fatass (sport is mandatory)
>not controlling your sugar levels
And that's it. Diabetes is about control and moderation, not banning specific stuff. Your "doctor" and you are idiots.

t. type 1 diabetes

This. See a 2nd doctor, there's a chance that the one you saw is a hipster quack. At best just go piscetarian, at worst vegetarian.

The only enemy of diabetics are insulinogenic foods; eggs, meat and dairy (specifically whey) cause tremendous spikes in blood sugar.
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/69.full
nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-diets-for-diabetes/

t. prediabetic once prescribed metformin who reversed the situation

>The only enemy of a diabetic are carbs
Stop spreading momscience. Diabetes type 2 and insulin resistance are promoted by fat and animal protein. We already know the specific mechanics of how certain saturated fatty acids are directly toxic to the pancreas, the muscles and the hypothalamus among other organs. Diabetes is least prevalent in vegans and in populations with a high carb intake and low intake of animal products.

>cherry picked articles and studies
>I don't have idea how metabolism works
>ignoring fundamental facts

Here is my proof, go to your closest diabetes real doctor (google articles aren't a doctor) and hear what he's going to tell you.
Only carbs raise sugar.
If I eat carbs, I need insulin. If I only eat meat, I don't. Get fucked.

t. All my father family has diabetes 2, and he still hasn’t diabetes. He mostly eat meat, and always avoids sugar and carbs. Meanwhile all his brothers have diabetes.

Hilarious. Low-carb turbo-clown Tim Noakes developed diabetes type 2 just 3 months after going on low-carb and he's been insisting ever since that it happened because of the diet he ate before low-carb... despite all the evidence we have that high-fat diets immediately cause insulin resistance and are toxic to the liver, muscles and pancreas. These people are mental

>Diabetes type 2 and insulin resistance are promoted by fat and animal protein.
It's promoted by the genetics and fatass combination. Basic facts m8.

>We already know the specific mechanics of how certain saturated fatty acids are directly toxic to the pancreas
Sounds like another "x is toxic in high doses, therefore x is always toxic" meme . And veggies also have saturated fatty acids.

>Diabetes is least prevalent in vegans and in populations with a high carb intake and low intake of animal products.
Thanks for proving you are clueless
Those populations are poor. Diabetes 2 is a rich man disease. Poorfags can't afford enough food to get fat or live enough to get diabetes 2.
For example, chinese people are genetically very likely to have diabetes 2, and yet, very few people have diabetes. Why? Because they are fucking poor.
But now go to Taiwan where every chink is fat, rich and lives a lot.

Get a multivitamin

Also chickpeas are your best friend now

>It's promoted by the genetics and fatass combination. Basic facts m8.
I never say it wasn't.
And diabetes type 2 occurs in lean people as well. You can promote insulin resistance universally with certain foods, regardless of genetics and body fat.

>Sounds like another "x is toxic in high doses, therefore x is always toxic" meme
For anybody who isn't autistic it's immediately obvious that toxicity refers to high doses. What is a high dose? The doses that people actually consume are toxic. The doses you consume on a low-carb diet are toxic.

>Thanks for proving you are clueless
What I said is objectively true. You're not responding to it though, you're just ranting aimlessly.

>Those populations are poor
Vegans are poor? I guess you learn something new every day.

>live enough
Diabetes type 2 is not a disease of old age.

>Poorfags can't afford enough food to get fat
This is false. If you can afford 2500 calories a day and not starve to death, then more than likely you can afford an additional 1000 calories of rice if you want. 1000 calories of rice costs around 20 cent or less around the world

What a terrible reply.

Well, sorry for not mentioning it before, but here is the real deal.
Carbs adds fiscally sugar to your blood and raises your levels (bad).
Fats don't add sugar, BUT too many fats in your diet fucks with insulin and raises your levels. (also bad).

For example, I get insulin resistance when I eat with a lot of olive oil (I love pasta with olive oil).
Buy those fats are form plant origin and with a lot of unsaturated fatty acids. That resistance is not animal fats or saturated fats exclusive.

The notion that somebody shouldn't eat carbs because they have diabetes and will therefore have to use insulin is totally nonsensical. Yes, diabetes is a metabolic disease and therefore it is inconvenient compared to being healthy. That's what having a serious disease is like. The only way it makes sense to avoid carbs to avoid insulin is if you are lazy as fuck or you falsely believe that insulin is harmful. The long-term goal should be to improve insulin sensitivity, which is most certainly not achieved by getting all of your calories from fat and animal products. Doing the latter will result in further metabolic damage as well as serious cardiovascular complications long-term.

lol Veeky Forums M.D. R.D.N.

i went vegan and it made my life worst
beans, chickpeas, lentils made my stool bloody

Do not fucking listen to this guy and eat literal poison.

>energy drinks are bad for you desu senpai!
>eats multivitamin

Fuck.

stop being reasonable >:(

>
>Poorfags can't afford enough food to get fat
This is false. If you can afford 2500 calories a day and not starve to death, then more than likely you can afford an additional 1000 calories of rice if you want. 1000 calories of rice costs around 20 cent or less around the world

Lots of the world makes less than 2 bucks a day. If you assume no other expenses thats enough to feed 5 people on just rice. And the average child to woman ratio is something along the lines of 5 per woman.

yeah this is def. the way to be healthy and not some anomalous outlier.

WHOOP WHOOP RETARD ALERT

>And diabetes type 2 occurs in lean people as well
That's rare. Most of young people with diabetes are type 1.

>For anybody who isn't autistic it's immediately obvious that toxicity refers to high doses. What is a high dose? The doses that people actually consume are toxic. The doses you consume on a low-carb diet are toxic.
I thought you were saying that saturated fats were always bad. I assumed you where retarded, but I misjudged you, sorry for that.

>Vegans are poor? I guess you learn something new every day.
Vegans care about their health and nutrition more than your average McDonald eater wave slave and you know it’s true. That’s why I never trust numbers or statistics. They always hide something.

>Diabetes type 2 is not a disease of old age.
Yes it is dude. Diabetes 1 isn't, but age and diabetes 2 are correlated. In fact, young people with diabetes 2 are rare. Most of diabetes 2 are adult people.

>This is false. If you can afford 2500 calories a day and not starve to death, then more than likely you can afford an additional 1000 calories of rice if you want. 1000 calories of rice costs around 20 cent or less around the world
As I told you, it’s related to old age and excess. I you live in a county were you die young and can’t afford food in excess; diabetes 2 is a rare disease.
Just look at the map.
Mongolian cuisine is mostly animals, asians have diabetes genes, and they don’t have diabetes.

Most Veeky Forums posters know fuck all about nutrition.

You're one of those retards who complains about following your diet and still not losing weight aren't you?

LOL you and your pussy pancrease can get fucked

You're the one getting mad about someone asking for vegan recipes you child.

Yeah I'm going to get my medical advice from a racist teenager on the internet. Get fucked moron.

This.

No, it's just a thread full of shit posting teenagers who want to justify all their tendies and dew.

Wrong.

Stop giving out medical advice on the internet.

>this copypasta AGAIN

You're dumb ass falling for a bait post doesn't discredit the actual science behind it.

"CONCLUSIONS—Both a low-fat vegan diet and a diet based on ADA guidelines improved glycemic and lipid control in type 2 diabetic patients. These improvements were greater with a low-fat vegan diet."

>The notion that somebody shouldn't eat carbs because they have diabetes and will therefore have to use insulin is totally nonsensical
I never wanted to imply that, sorry if I didn't explain myself well. I mean a carb abuse.
Of course, carbs are the most of important part of a human diet.

> The long-term goal should be to improve insulin sensitivity, which is most certainly not achieved by getting all of your calories from fat and animal products.
Insulin sensitivity is archived by making sport (I literary only need half of insulin when I make sport), and not getting fat (the more fat you are, more insulin you need).

> Doing the latter will result in further metabolic damage as well as serious cardiovascular complications long-term.
I know. But again, I never wanted to imply that a pure fat and animal products diet is good.

Wew lad, you should go take a nutrition course.

This thread is full of pussy man-babies who want to eat a shit ton of red meat but are afraid of facing the facts about what a diet like that does to your health. Lol at you fags taking scientific results as personal attacks on you.

>Mushrooms replace meat quite nicely
I'm sure that what replaces meat is soy. Mushrooms are delicious, but it brings you almost no nutrients.

Mushrooms are also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin C, Folate, Iron, Zinc and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin D, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Selenium.

Meat's higher protein content often comes with more calories per serving. Around 3.5 cups of mushrooms has 7 grams of protein with only 56 calories. Medium-fat and high-fat meats have significantly more calories. A 1-ounce serving of medium-fat meat has 4 to 7 grams of protein and 75 calories.

I was getting ready to hate you but then I realized you weren't talking about the synthetic versions. Carry on.

while what youre posting is correct about the study, as a RN i can tell you no doctor ive ever seen has FUCKING EVER recommended a vegan diet to any patients, and I work in a cardiac floor, i get people with heart attacks all fucking day.

so all in all, this is just still a bait thread.

What are you even talking about?

When someone says "it replaces meat", I'm assuming he is talking about proteins.
>Mushrooms are also a good source of Protein.
I'm sure it's imposible to covert your protein intake with only mushrooms.

Wow an RN?

That's because most dietary interventions take place in a PCP office visits not on hospital floors but OK.

The government owns a lab (US) that manufactures synthetic chemicals and forces people to add them to your wheat with FDA laws.
The naturally occurring vitamins are safe though.

Proteins per calories means nothing.
Do i need to post that "brocoli vs meat" meme pic?

Hollllyyyy shit dude. Take off your tin foil hat.

Your whole post means nothing.

Enjoy having your aorta looking like this on the autopsy table you plebs.

So, you agree with this?

Hes a tubby. He will need the extra volume to feel sated anyhow.

>Amerifat is mad because he has to take out a loan and wait 6 months to see the doctor
kek