Where do I start with Joyce?

where do I start with Joyce?

Dubsner

My exagmination round his factification for incamination to reduplication with ridecolation of a portrait of the artist as Manzoni

a plane ticket to ireland.

seriously.

>he thinks im kidding
>he thinks people who havent been to ireland can understand joyce
>he thinks people who havent lived in ireland for at least ten years can understand joyce
>he thinks people who havent screwed dog-faced irish prostitutes in ireland and fucked the farts out of them for seven years trying to get his ten years in so he can finally tackle ulysses haha can understand haha james joyce lmao

the greeks

Dubliners or Portrait. Personally I started with Portrait. All I'd say is read Portrait before Ulysses and read FW last, but other than that do what you want.

i actually applied to TCD for this exact reason

I'm irish and I don't even fucking understand him

Nigga he's scottish what are u talking about

I only spent a month in Ireland. I cracked open Finnegans Wake and half my family died of starvation. I've never gone back.

Serious question: was Joyce autistic?

Dubliners then Portrait then Ulysses then Finnegan's Wake then fucking kill yourself my man and never post again

Joyce's Ireland is entirely relegated to 20th century preindependence Dublin

Check the sticky next time, thanks.

Suck my balls next time, thanks.

The greeks

*artistic

Would not be shocked if he had a mild spectrum disorder of some kind. The Gilbert schema for Ulysses is autistic as fuck, and Joyce was known for creating lists obsessively which is pretty autistic.

*looks at my amazon wishlist of books divided into 30 categories*

shit

>underrated

Sad!

holy shit dubs dubsner, also underrated

at the beginning

that makes two of us (willing to say it)

Thanks user.

Can one of the first two be skipped to start on Ulysses sooner? If so, which?

Portrait is closer in style to Ulysses than Dubliners, decide with that in mind. Why do you want to skip two of the best novellas written though?

>Read in chronological order taking breaks in between

Thanks user!

Finnegans wake

Jung said he had schizophrenia

Deffo start with the fart letters, my dude.

Dubliners can be skipped (though why would you) but absolutely do not skip Portrait before reading Ulysses. The main character of Portrait (Stephen Dedalus --basically Joyce's alter ego) is one of two main characters in Ulysses. Ulysses catches up with Dedalus a couple years after the events of Portrait. And not only that there are allusions to Portrait as well.

By the way guys, what about Joyce's more minor works. His play Exiles? Also is Stephen Hero worth reading? Is it a lot different than portrait in its unfinished state or is it basically the same?