What is the best material for a skillet and why is it plain un-coated aluminium?

What is the best material for a skillet and why is it plain un-coated aluminium?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I bought this last week and proceeded to throw out all my old pans. Absolutely nothing sticks to it, cleaning takes like ten seconds, and medium heat is all you need for anything. Love it.

Non stick is literally the best type of skillet for the home cook. Prove me wrong

>Pro tip: you can't

>Prove me wrong
Can't sear. That was easy.

Carbon steel is hands down the best. Almost anything that has any kind of coating is dogshit, though.

Carbon steel is less stick when seasoned, sears better, and is more durable, and has no toxicity.

Max temp for cooking on teflon is 260°C

>Can't sear

Board is full of normies with no clue

that's not the problem. The problem is that teflon doesn't have the right molecular structure to create a proper sear, you need iron for that.

Then why can I get a great sear grilling a steak over a fire where nothing is actually touching the meat?

A sear merely requires the correct temperature. Contact with a specific surface is irrel

It's not less sticky.

It's very good, almost as good and because of the other things you mentioned, it's better in those ways.

But it's not as slick. Stop that. Carbon steel is good without adding lies to feel better about having it.

I'm not making this up though. Maybe I have shit quality teflon or something(It's not scratched though). Or maybe you've had an inferior seasoning than mine?

You are making it up.

I mean, you dont necessarily see scratches on the teflon which affect performance, so that's possible, but you're making it up anyways so...whatever.

Good choice, gotta love oven safe nonstick.

What kind of stupid shit i have to read. You're factually wrong.

>another millennial tries his hand at opinions over facts
alton brown was a mistake

great post, would read again

Plain aluminium is good but can be an issue with acidic sauces

TT again. forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/

OPs next post: chili, McChicken, something about "Americans doing x," Something about Chicago... Etc. ad nauseam. BECAUSE ITS SO FUNNY LOLOLOLOL!!!!1!!!1 XD

That's a terrible thread, outdated by over a decade, and has bad advice to begin with. Please stop posting this. Sitram Profisserie is awful on anything other than induction, and patents have expired and dozens of far better performing products have come out, tl;dr just stop ffs

Post a better one then Mr. Pedant. Or continue on with your circle jerk and fleeting euphoria that comes with every shitpost

Is cast iron a meme?

You know, I'd normally help, but you're clearly just here to pretend to be god's gift to Veeky Forums, so why should I help you? You want a shit flinging thread? Good, you've got one now. Have fun with your outdated garbage advice, up next you'll post Chad Ward's horrible knife thread and maybe a shill review for his embarrassing book.

*yawn* enjoy playing with yourself.

Can't put in oven
Can't create fond
Can't sear meat
Can't use metal spatula

All that is fun and games though. Everybody knows cast iron is a bachelor's best friend

I like how you're hanging around just hoping that maybe I'm going to change my mind

Nope. How ironic that you single handedly denied yourself an opportunity to learn because you were too busy pretending to be smarter than everyone around

Cast iron. Everything else is shit-tier.

You can do all of those things with good non stick. I feel bad that your too poor to afford decent quality non stick cookware.

Does cast iron make thone tendies nice and crispy? Remember if you eat your mother's ass and stick your pee pee in her watermelon you'll get some more good boy points

>throw out all my old pans
Why would you have many?
Or throw them out?

>not having too many pans
I've got 16, I need to cull the collection soon

I also feel bad that I'm poor :(

> aluminium

Enjoy your Alzheimers...

oh boy, here we go

Right, and homemade vinegar pickles can give you botulism.

So is aluminum cookware safe or not? I've seen aluminum dissolve off the surface of my pans while cleaning them, which made me switch to steel.

Bare aluminum is safe but it can make your acidic pan sauces taste gross

>cooking with anything but cast iron

but... why?

Solid silver.

>What is the best material for a skillet and why is it plain un-coated aluminium?
There is no one BEST material.

There might be some one-pan-only happiness with a lecrueset skillet pan, which has a nonreactive ceramic, which is marginally good non-stick coating, on top of a heavy heat retaining cast iron underneath it, and stovetop to oven versatility in the handle. A good fond can happen when searing and sauteeing on a lecrueset too, which leads to a nice pan sauce. They're heavy, and cumbersome, shouldn't be scratched or worn down or else loses a little nonstick nature, so not happyjoyjoy to move to and from the sink or clean.

But, there will be times when you want honest to goodness nonstick action. If you spend up you can get a heavy bottomed pan, which is key to making the nonstick coating last more than 1-2 years, oh possibly stretching into 5yrs, if you are really good with your things.

I have about 7 fry pans if truth is known. I have a 8in and a 12in nonstick and they go through the 3yr replacement rotation and used very often for things like scrambled eggs or omelettes, a 3qt wok-ish vent lidded nonstick skillet, and a 3-4qt covered straight sided stainless (not nonstick) skillet with glass lid, which is used for all in one cooking ideas like browning pork chops and simmering with kraut or apples til they fall apart. I have a 10in cast iron mostly used for oven cornbread and frying things like green tomatoes, chicken fried steak, okra, latkes, hash browns, bacon, sausages, anything I want really brown. I also use the cast iron on the BBQ occasionally like a comal, to warm up tortillas one by one, or browning some flatbread. It'll brown some onions and peppers like a champ too. I'd be okay if the cast iron was a lecrueset, but I have a pretty good coating. What I don't like a cast iron is if you infrequently use it, it'll get a bit gummy-sticky from the humidity in Florida. I donated the rest of the stainless set.

Was given a set of mid-range nonstick ones when I got married, they've gone to shit and I've been using them and just dealing with them sucking, but threw them all out when I got this one.

Because sometimes you just need to fry an egg, or make a grilled cheese sandwich.

If you are setting up shop for yourself as a college kid, I'd find the following adequate for my kid to go off to college:
1) small 8in, think personal size cooking for one, single omelette, single grilled cheese, one chicken breast.
2) 10in cast iron or lecrueset, to do cornbread, cook 2 cubed steaks, 4 burgers
3) covered skillet for doing, boxed noodle dishes, all-in-one dinners of meat and rice, things that simmer or braise a while. Paella pot handles allows oven use, but not too big, 12in. Sloped sides. Can double as noodle pot if the sides are right.
4) 3qt saucepan can handle it all, from rice to veggies.
5) insulated cookie sheet with sides like jelly roll pan, for anything from garlic bread to roasting vegetables or meats
6) 8x8 or 9x12 pyrex, with lid for leftovers or potlucks

A couple of good silicone spoonula turners or thin spatulas. Pyrex measuring cups up to 2qt size to do a little microwave cooking too, from whole oats to mashed potatoes to heating soups.