>sodium is bad for you
>fruits are bad for you since they contain mostly sugar
>any product that has been processed is bad for you
>all non-organic foods are bad for you
>any food containing cholesterol is bad for you
>all wheat-based products are bad for you
>most vegetables are bad for you because of the gmo meme
>water is bad for you due to the fluoride

Ok Veeky Forums, you win. This is a cooking board so what am I supposed to eat you fuckers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroxylon_sagu
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavr_Savr
scientificamerican.com/article/new-gene-editing-techniques-could-transform-food-crops-or-die-on-the-vine/
youtube.com/watch?v=NGoE4X7ihdA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>meat is bad for you
No. Meme.
>dairy products are bad for you
No. Meme. Dairy products are bad for you if you can't digest it or suffer from bad acne. That's about it.
>eggs are bad for you
No. Meme.
>seafood is bad for you
No. Meme.
>starch is bad for you
No. Meme.
>carbs are bad for you
No. Meme.
>sugar is bad for you
No. Meme.
>fats are bad for you
No. Meme.
>all non-vegetable proteins are bad for you
No. Meme.
>gluten is bad for you
No. Meme. Gluten is bad for you if you can't digest it.
>sodium is bad for you
No. Meme.
No. Meme.
Yes. True. Non-meme.
Yes. True. Non-meme.
No. Meme.
No. Meme.
No. Meme.
No. Meme.

If you can't figure any of this alone maybe you should fuck off indeed.

For me it is the McChicken™, the best fast food sandwich.

Just eat proper food, the stuff people have been eating for hundreds of years. Cut all the processed food out.

>non-organic food
>bad
You're literally retarded.

That being said, OP. Any of these things can be bad for you if you don't have the proper intake/ right balance in your body.

>food treated with Monsanto chemicals, GMO and hormones
>not bad

lol ???!!!

>meme = falsehood
Faggot and a retard.

he's right tho

>he doesn't absorb sustenance from the sun via photosynthesis

Do you have a moment to talk today about your Lord and Savior Ra?

>implying the sun is "good" for you
>he doesn't traverse though the shadows and through the night

lmao enjoy your sun cancer retard

dick

Just skip all food advice you ever see on the internet

Fad following soccer mom's promoting gluten free food don't know what they're talking about
Overweight dieters promoting keto don't know what they're talking about
Vegan's promoting a meat and dairy free diet don't know what they're talking about
Veeky Forums promoting a diet of glass of blended chicken breast, whey protein powder and creatine don't know what they're talking about
College hippies promoting a non-GMO diet don't know what they're talking about
Middle-aged hippies promoting a non-processed diet don't know what they're talking about
Dr. Oz promoting you don't vaccinate your babies doesn't know what he's talking about
Diabetics promoting a sugar-free diet don't know what they're talking about
Untrustworthy dissidents promoting a fluoride-free water supply don't know what they're talking about
You don't know what you're talking about

I replaced every meal with 45 minutes of moderate to intense exercise and I've never been thinner

>hormones
lmao

>muh GMO boogey man
We've been playing with the genetic material of our crops for ages.

thanks to gmo's my wifes son has never been stronger.

>Vegan's promoting a meat and dairy free diet don't know what they're talking about
I'd like to think I'm pretty informed about this subject.

Diary is complete garbage. There's no reason whatsoever to be consuming diary products for health benefits. Meat is beneficial in small amounts but most people consume so much that the bad shit in it outweigh the good. Proteins from plants have the same benefits but with much less of the negative side effects. There is no such thing as protein deficiency unless you're eating at an extreme calorie deficit. You can get all your essential amino acids from plants. Unless you're eating 100% organic grass fed beef you're taking second hand B12 supplements.

Whatever man. You don't know what you're talking about.

>meat is bad for you
It's bad if you abuse it.
>eggs are bad for you
>seafood is bad for you
>starch is bad for you
>carbs are bad for you
>sugar is bad for you
>fats are bad for you
>gluten is bad for you
Sucks to be celiac.
>sodium is bad for you
Meme. Gmo are bad for other reasons.
Meme.

Conclution: Eat a little bit of everything and not a lot of anything

Thinking a specific food is bad for you is as stupid as thinking a specific food is healthy. It really doesn't work that way. Patterns of eating and lifestyle combine to be good of bad for you. But that's more than most folks want to think about, especially in the Western world where the simple fact is that the Western diet and lifestyle are not a particularly healthy fit for the average person.

yeah this
bananas fuck me up senpai

> thinking a specific food is healthy

user are you fucking retarded? Did you just imply that spinach, for instance, isn't healthy compared to, say, chocolate lava cake? I mean, you DO realize humans have to eat to survive right? That would almost EXPLICITLY mean that some foods are healthy for you while others are not.

Please go sit in a corner and think about what you've done

actually you can get water poisoning if you drink water too much.

Nutrition is important when you consider diet as a whole, rather than specific foods.

Measure the health of a person's diet as a whole rather than focusing on each specific food out of context.

>chemicals
Everything is a chemical. Be specific about which ines you're talking and give evidence for why they're bad.

>GMO
Nothing wrong with GMOs

>hormones
Harmless.

No it isn't.
Nutritional science is an attempt to get americans to buy and eat poisonous waste chemicals, typically called "b vitamins."

And it worked. Sad.

>nothing wrong with GMOs

See you in twenty years when you can't get any of your seeds to germinate and completely lose your ability to grow produce that is not purchased from Monsanto.

>Did you just imply that spinach, for instance, isn't healthy
Spinach is poisonous. Not poisonous enough to hurt you in normal portions, but there is a lethal dose for the stuff, and it's probably much easier to consume it than the lethal dose of chocolate cake. A pattern of eating that favors foods like spinach over chocolate cake is likely to be much more healthy than the other way around, but that doesn't make one inherently more or less healthy than the other.

GMOs and Monsanto are two separate issues. You might say Windows 10 is a botnet and see you in 5 years when you can't install programs outside the Microsoft store, but telling people to chuck their PCs in general out the window probably isn't the best way to go. In this example Monsanto isn't even the largest GMO/pesticide company. In the US sure but that's there's certainly alternatives in the rest of the big 6.

Not him, but GMOs are "bad" because it's mostly used to monopolize the food market.

GMOs are bad because they infect neighboring crops and cause mass infertility.

How do you not understand the danger of having millions of seeds that won't germinate?
It's going to spread. It exists. None of your crops will produe fertile seeds in 20 years and they will have to be purchased from Monsanto.

Your simile does little for your argument when all vegetables on earth are at risk.

I'm fucking dead serious dude, grow your plants indoors and start collecting seeds. They will be twice the value of gold in two decades.

Only things you should even worry about is maybe food coloring.

You are correct. There's nothing inherently bad about GMO technology, the same way there's nothing inherently bad about nuclear technology. It's how it gets applied that's the issue. Nuclear technology is mostly applied to doomsday weapons and power plants that sometimes fail and cause huge disasters. No one in their right mind can be a fan of those applications. The current most widespread use of GMOs is making crops resistant to poison we spray on them. So when you eat this crops you're eating that poison. Hard to be a fan of that.

>No one in their right mind can be a fan of those applications.

I agree with you about the bombs, but nuclear power plants are a great thing. Yes, there have been some serious safety incidents with them but that's no different than other sources of energy. Think about how many fires there have been throughout history...including massive ones that destroyed entire cities and killed thousands upon thousands....but that doesn't stop us from burning things to generate heat. The difference is that a nuclear power plant accident makes big news whereas people are used to hearing about fires.

>>So when you eat this crops you're eating that poison. Hard to be a fan of that.

Pesticides are still used on non-gmo crops as well. More of them, in fact. And in the case of glyphosate aka "roundup", that stuff is less toxic than table salt is. I'm not concerned about that.

What DOES bother me is the legal implications, and the fact that GMOs seem to be following the same trend as factory farming. It's all about maximizing volume and lowering cost, yet nobody seems to give a shit about the *quality* of the food being produced. It simply doesn't taste as good as crops (and animal breeds) that are selected for flavor rather than for production efficiency.

>wanting to live forever
if you're a grown man then eating anything other than whatever you feel like is a meme

Eat whatever the fuck you want, just do it in moderation and walk a mile a day.

>but m-m-muh h-h-hormones and muh gmos!

7 billion people in the world are eating this shit and no one is dropping dead out of nowhere because of it. People bitch about everything these days.

That has nothing to do with fluoride though and more to do with thinning out your bodily fluids to the point that they can't sustain homeostasis.

>people are used to hearing about fires.
Burning shit for energy is exactly why global warming is an issue. Those who profit from energy HAVE to deny it, otherwise they're responsible for the slow moving tragedy unfolding worldwide. The problem is we feel like we need more and more energy, but energy is so cheap there's no incentive to use it efficiently. And why is it so cheap? Because the environmental cost of burning shit and the occasional nuclear disaster are not factored into the price. If they were we'd be driving cars that get 100mpg and have solar panels and windmills on our roofs. The idea that common resources like the environment are actually worth something too easily gets pushed aside when there's a lot of money to be made. The only way to change that is for the people to stand up and say fuck this, because the guys with the money are deeply embedded in the government.
>glyphosate aka "roundup", that stuff is less toxic than table salt
I have a degree in Environmental studies and technology, and can assure you this is not the case. That was kinda true for DDT as long as you weren't a bird. But organophosphates are totally toxic to humans, we just count on the fact that they break down quickly into less toxic compounds.
>It's all about maximizing volume and lowering cost, yet nobody seems to give a shit about the *quality* of the food being produced.
This. And I'd say that doesn't just apply to taste, but to nutrition and general healthfulness as well. I don't want to risk the cheap food if it doesn't taste good, is only marginally nutritious and contains "acceptable" levels of toxins I'd prefer not to consume at all, ever. Unfortunately where I live that shit is the standard, and just like the energy industry those profiting from producing it are embedded in the government. That's pretty fucked up.

>What DOES bother me is the legal implications, and the fact that GMOs seem to be following the same trend as factory farming. It's all about maximizing volume and lowering cost, yet nobody seems to give a shit about the *quality* of the food being produced. It simply doesn't taste as good as crops (and animal breeds) that are selected for flavor rather than for production efficiency.

DESU this is the most concerning reason. Make it all look aesthetically pleasing but it'll taste as dull as cardboard. I'd wonder about the change in nutritional value compared to other similar crops as well.

>walk a mile a day
>one mile
Just how fat are you? You might as well sit on your ass all day.

Everything is ok in moderation. The basis of your diet should be vegetables and dark fruits like berries and some citrus (sugar bombs with lower nutrition for calories include apples grapes and bananas).

Grains high in fiber like oatmeal are good too. Greek yogurt is fine. Eggs (especially the whites) are fine. Poultry is fine. Fish once or twice a week is fine. Grass fed (it tastes better) beef once or twice a week is fine.

Processed food as a treat, not daily thing, it's ok.

Just moderate your intake and get the bulk of your nutrients from vegetables, fruit (not the sugar bombs), and high fiber grains. Everything else enjoy in moderation.

Note: I'm 24 and don't currently eat this way, but I know I'll have to switch once I hit 30. Just lifting weights and doing cardio won't cut it after that.

You mean 5 miles a day. Or do some jump rope for 40 minutes not including rest breaks. Plus some resistance training 3 days a week at least.

This will make a huge difference over the years, I promise you.

>I'll have to switch once I hit 30
That's probably true. You can pretty much eat garbage during your teens and 20's and not really suffer much in the way of consequences as long as you don't overeat. But if you eat like a teenager in your 30's you're just asking for trouble by 40. Shit like high BP, cholesterol and obesity can really sneak up on you in your 30's.

t. 48 year old who got fat in his 30's and had to really shake up diet and lifestyle to get trim again.

Veeky Forums is filled with kooks and fad diet marketers in addition to the fast food spam. All of these people have bizarre and deranged agendas, all of them are trying to sell you on some kooky advice or ideal. All of Veeky Forums is becoming like this but I miss the days when every board wasn't just /pol/ but tangentially related to [topic].

This has happened to everything, though. It used to be that you had to seek out fringe ideas because the mainstream was so dominant. That's been less and less the case. The internet lets people with fringe ideas easily find and validate each other. This drives market forces in the mainstream to see these fringe groups not as wackadoos, but a target demographics. This has led to the mainstreaming of formerly fringe shit like organic food, gluten-free food, veganism and the like. Fad diets have always been with us, and there have always been people cashing in on them. But it used to be just the authors who wrote the book that started the fad. Now this shit can perpetuate itself as bored middle aged white women share stories online about how cutting out gluten changed their lives by making them a pain in the ass to everyone they eat with.

But food is the least of it. Look at the crazy shit that's gone down over gender and sexuality over the last decade or two. That's nearly as crazy as what's gone down in politics. Nothing but niche groups and those profiting from telling them what they want to hear.

>Processed food as a treat
All food is processed, dipshit.

You know what I mean, dipshit.

>cheap cunt who can't afford organic or farm fresh produce attempts to weigh in on the subject like he has a leg to stand on

Have you tried having more money? You get awesome organic vegetables and people in this thread will take you seriously

Looks delicious.

>>sugar is bad for you
>No. Meme.
Refined sugar is definitely bad for you

>>any product that has been processed is bad for you
>Yes. True. Non-meme.
>>all non-organic foods are bad for you
>Yes. True. Non-meme.
These are actually memes

or you learn good exercise and eating habits young so you don't fuck yourself on a crash course in your 30s. learning young is the best time to learn because you lose cognitive flexibility with age.

refined sugar is good for you if you're actually doing work or exercising when you want fast releasing carbs.

>m-muh toxin

go to bed.

Probably bait but have you seen non-gmod bananas? The wild all-peel, all-seed Neanderthal looking beasts? Impossible to eat

> think I'm pretty informed about this subject.
> tfw can't diffrant from dairy and diary

W
E
W

"Woah dude whats up you look terrible"
"Oh you know just on my new diet"
"Whats the diet"
"I eat exercise"

how did people even end up bothering to cultivate them when they're completely inedible in nature?
I want to eat a fucking tree, let's spend thousands of years selectively breeding a tree with wood soft enough to be edible

Seeing that you have to go for typos that means everything I said is correct, right?

Eat a phat booty bag of dick cheez

>cancerous frogposter

ugh can't believe I'm getting sucked into this fucking spergfest, but t. actual biochemist

>meat is bad for you
cured meats are probably bad for you, but it's on the order of "bacon every morning will reduce your lifespan by like two weeks," so meh. other red meat has some mixed data, but nothing conclusive yet
can be pretty unpleasant, though not unhealthy if you're lactose intolerant. the genetic evidence is that lactose tolerance is the single most advantageous mutation to appear in any human group in the last 10,000 years, so it's probably fine. also no single food is more associated with weight loss than yogurt
>eggs are bad for you
nah they're fine. all the dietary cholesterol = bad research turned out to be wrong
>seafood is bad for you
if you eat a ton of top-level predators (tuna, whales, swordfish, sharks, etc.) you might get dangerous amounts of mercury, but otherwise fish, especially oily fish, has a VERY strong association with longevity and general health outcomes
>starch is bad for you
jury's out, but white flour/white rice might not be a good idea if you're watching your weight
>carbs are bad for you
carbs = starch, sugar, and fiber. fiber is either neutral or somewhat positive
>sugar is bad for you
sugar is definitely bad for you. heart disease, fat, the beetus, etc.
>fats are bad for you
trans-fats are definitely bad, polyunsaturated fats are probably good, saturated fat and monounsaturated fat are probably neutral

1/2

this is vegan propaganda and it doesn't even make sense. all proteins get split into individual amino acids before they make it out of your small intestine, and there are no systematic differences between proteins from animals and proteins from other domains of life. they're all made out of the same shit
>gluten is bad for you
if you have celiac disease, gluten is bad for you. otherwise meme
>sodium is bad for you
the research supporting sodium being bad for you turned out to be wrong, though if you already have heart failure eating large amounts of sodium can trigger acute decompensation
intact fruit is pretty self-limiting wrt sugar intake. a can of coke is like four oranges, for instance. dried fruit and fruit juice are pretty easy to get a lot of sugar out of though
"processed" is a very vague word, but yeah I guess it can't hurt to mostly do your own cooking
this is one thing that really annoys me. organic food is basically a scam-tier meme. there's no evidence that it's better for you in any way, except one paper that found organic vegetables might have more polyphenols, which are of dubious benefit anyway. organic food has a HIGHER carbon footprint, because it's so much less efficient to grow. organic food DOES use pesticides, they're just only allowed to use a list of "organic" pesticides, which basically means "pesticides used before 1930". some of these are many thousands of times more toxic to humans than modern pesticides (rotenone, etc.), while others are much less targeted and effective so they have to be used in massive quantities and you wind up ingesting considerably more (copper sulfate, etc.). finally, there's not a single shred of evidence that GMOs are harmful to humans or the environment, so the organic label isn't helping anyone there either

2/2

You don't hear about most of the damage of nuclear power either, because the garbage will still irradiate the environment after millennia. But luckily it's at the bottom of the ocean, and we all now that the ocean isn't important.

That kind of danger is nothing compared to the danger of other sources of energy.

addressed with eggs. your body synthesizes many times more cholesterol in a day than you eat, and there's no association between the amount you eat and the amount circulating in your blood. the association between high cholesterol and heart disease turned out to be a red herring for LDL cholesterol, but even then high LDL and heart disease are probably both symptoms of something more fundamental. high LDL doesn't cause heart disease directly
there's nothing special about wheat, again unless you have celiac disease. non-celiac "gluten intolerance" turned out to be totally unrelated to gluten. if you get gassy when eating bread/other grains you might try googling "FODMAP diet"
no no no. biotech crops are nutritionally identical to any others. the vast majority of non-nutritional complaints about genetic modification are totally off-base too. biotech or not, all new varieties of seed [even organic true-breeding varieties intended for small-scale gardeners!] are patent-protected. also, nearly all commercial growers, for almost every crop, use hybrid seed that makes non-uniform offspring in the second generation. nobody except meme survivalists cares about seed-saving. it's commercially irrelevant, and the system works more efficiently when you separate the labor of seed production and food production.
fluoride has been a very successful public health intervention. people who drink groundwater with very high levels of natural fluoride develop bone brittleness, but small amounts of it like the amount we use in public water systems strengthens bones and prevents tooth decay

3/2

>thinks nuclear waste gets dumped into the ocean

no, it just gets dumped in south carolina where it can't damage the gene pool.

chinks beat you to it
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroxylon_sagu

It's more than a typo. Diary and dairy are two different words and you continually made the mistake. You clearly didn't know the word.

"organophosphate" is a huge class of molecules. some are some of the most toxic chemicals on earth (sarin, VX nerve gases), but others are totally fine. first poster is right that glyphosate is essentially nontoxic to mammals. it only kills plants

people have tested this hypothesis. there's no detectable nutritional differences between organic/non-organic plants. although, there are definitely varieties of plants that you can only get if you grow them yourself that taste AMAZING, but aren't commercially successful because either they spoil too quickly, or they bruise in transport, or they don't yield enough. these are concerns that all farmers have to deal with, regardless of how they operate. one of the really promising things about GMOs is that instead of optimizing for transportability or optimizing for flavor, we can rationally combine the best traits of both varieties without compromising either. this unfortunately hasn't taken off because fearmongering hippies put so many barriers in the way that only big crops that mostly get sold to giant food processors who know better like corn and soy are worth the investment. for example:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavr_Savr
scientificamerican.com/article/new-gene-editing-techniques-could-transform-food-crops-or-die-on-the-vine/

>Dr. Oz promoting you don't vaccinate your babies doesn't know what he's talking about
Hey now, someone might get hurt if you spread that retardery around

If you're 30+ you remember tomatoes and strawberries having more flavor. they both taste like water now

>Yes. True. Non-meme.

False. Organic foods have been shown to contain increased amounts of mutagens. Where non-organic foods may contain traces of pesticides or other unnatural compounds, organic foods may contain high amount of mutagenic or otherwise poisonous compounds instead.

>Dr. Oz promoting you don't vaccinate your babies doesn't know what he's talking about

vaccinations in the 70s
>measles mumps polio
>three shots at three different times
vaccinations in 2017
>60 different vaccinations bundled up into one mega-shot given all at once

H M M
M
M

>he thinks global warming is real

eat a goddamn apple
there is no excuse for drinking soda or eating cake

>going for the low-hanging fruit means there's no fruit higher up in the tree, right?

Tomatoes from the supermarket are way better than they were 30 years ago though. More varieties, imported from more areas, and solid in-season contracts with local farms. 30 years ago the only time supermarket tomatoes were as good was only during the local season. Sure they aren't going to match a home-grown garden tomato but they are still great most of the time. Produce in general in American supermarkets is exponentially better now than it was 30 years ago.

>still have nothing else to add apart from nitpicking typos

wow you sure took a lot of time to do this when all you had to comment was 'everything fine in moderation'

The world is full of conflicting opinions and worldviews, congrats on picking the negative on all of them, cause thats really impressive

As a trained scientist it's kind of hard to dispute it. The only folks who do are those with an economic and political agenda that would be furthered by doing so. Kind of like the way the only people who argue against evolution are those with a religious agenda against it.
30 years ago supermarket tomatoes were dogshit most of the year, then local ones came in during summer, and they were awesome. Now there's a constant availability of mediocre imports and hot house tomatoes in the supermarket, and you have to go to the farmers' market to get the local ones.

Chicken breast and fish is beneficial in large quantities.

High protein, low calorie, and good for brain development.

All food is "bad" for you

Living and dying are the exact same process

spinach contains iron, in excess causes hemochromatosis, supports free-radical creation, and ultimately cancer

>Complaining about typos
>Diffrant

Literally cutting the meat from the animal carcass is processing
Literally washing dirt off of carrots or potatoes is processing

Just consume feces and cease all bodily function, user.

What if it's my birthday?

kek

Don't you mean this guy?

>High protein
That's a bad thing numbnuts. The western diet has way too much protein. And by fish I'm assuming you mean omega-3, which isn't beneficial in absolute amounts at all.

>protein
>bad

What if I lift?

the only people who dispute global warming at this point either don't understand it, or stand to lose power by acknowledging it.
denying anthropogenic global warming is a meme

What you should take away from this: too much of anything is bad for you. Watch your weight and blood pressure. Otherwise eat whatever you want in moderation. Ignore the idiots who preach their non-GMO and gluten free diets. Organic is a money wasting peer pressure fad. You should judge your diet based on specific things (like less than 2000 mg of sodium a day, etc), not the foods themselves. You'll learn what's good/bad quickly if you keep a food diary.

>denying anthropogenic global warming is a meme
As a scientist I agree. But as an armchair sociologist and economist I totally get it. There are a lot of interests that benefit from sowing doubt about it. Usually when you see irrational ideas being actively perpetuated you just have to follow the money to get an idea who is likely behind it. Usually it's some combination of a political, economic and/or religious interest. If someone feels that their worldview or economic stability is under attack they'll get really selective about their hearing really quickly.

youtube.com/watch?v=NGoE4X7ihdA

>1.6 - 1.8g of protein per kg for endurance training
>high amounts of protein may or may not be beneficial
>more protein for cutting is proven to be better
>most important thing is calorific deficit

k gotcha

>Veeky Forums in charge of comprehension

>>any food containing cholesterol is bad for you

Worst meme of them all, im sick of seeing this all the time.

Dairy products taste good. Pretty easy to make, full of nutrition and are a staple in most recipes. If you need more then this then kys. Vegans do not know what they are talking about especially when they mention the word health. veganism is a political agenda not a fucking diet.

Lo