Is $20,000 advance a lot?

Is $20,000 advance a lot?

No, it's a pittance

How much do authors usually get?

depends on your cut

Is your book any good?

Wouldn't know. It is not yet in the market.

For a first novel yeah it's very good. If you already have a following it's not great.

Yeah, most new authors are lucky to get half of that.

No, not at all, kid. Could you live off $20k? Just take a step back and think about it.

what if the book sells well?
i thought advance was for living a few months before the book starts to sell

what about a $50,000 advance? do most established authors get this much? more? or less?

I got a $90,000 advance on my first novel and I'm 19 years old. It was about the gap year I'm currently on. I haven't even attended uni yet but it is one of the best in Australia.

>I got a $90,000 advance on my first novel
title?

Fecal Saturation

If you wanna LARP that bad you should go to Veeky Forums

I got $200,000 advance on my first short story and I'm only 12 years old. I haven't even attended highschool yet but it is one of the best in Luxembourg.

>tfw you've already sold your life story and you haven't started living yet

Easiest $290,000 in my non-existent life

You think it's funny but I self published a 500 page book describing a single act of [woman shitting in my mouth] and am now retired at 65

Yes, it's a very large advance, most people don't even get half of that. Keep in mind, though, that it's an advance, so if the book doesn't sell well enough they can claw a corresponding part of that advance back.

No, if they are a legitimate publisher you do not have to pay back any of the advance

Do you not understand what an "advance" is, by definition? You are being advanced a portion of what you are expected to earn through book sales. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Nigga, established authors get 1-5 million advance. That bitch who wrote the manson girls got a multi million advance.

The advance thing is really either 10-20k or massive. If you need an advance though you are fucked.

How bad a book can I write and get a $20,000 advance?