/comc/ Day 2 - The Count of Monte Cristo read-through

Chapters 6 through 10

>Ebooks and audiobook
mega.nz/#F!NIcBwCYL!ZZo5gGqjat1yL_-RkuzZFw

We have been introduced to Villefort and the plot thickens.

According to strawpoll.me/11940433 there are more of us than I expected. I'm just going through today's chapters now. Tomorrow I might take the opportunity to get a little ahead, guaranteed to want to get away from my family at some point.

>Previous thread

Chart

In these chapters: Frenchmen continue to be dicks

Yep still getting through today's chapters myself senpai, enjoying it so far though. Is Fernand literature's most successful beta-orbiter?

Yes. Told in explicit terms that he is in the friendzone and can never compete with Edmond 'thundercock' Dantes.

Was there even a point to chapter 10, I mean as far as I know, it was just Villefort informing King Louis xiv about Edmond. I know Dumas was trying to squeeze out every single word since I heard he was paid by the word, so is there anything that was significant that I missed or was this all filler?

>Decided to join in today
>Voted that I am not taking part of this yesterday
D E V I L I S H.

Depends.
The end says no.

It's basically excusing the king, Dumas was a bit of a royalist

Where is the cool part where he levels up to the count of Monte Cristo in *swish* *swish* swashbuckling moves of katan

Finished those chapters now. Just a Christmas bump. See you guys on Boxing Day.

>Dumas was a bit of a royalist

lol no

>literally writes a 1200 page book glorifying the self-made man who comes from nothing and pushes the boundaries of human possibility

This is one of those quintessential seemingly insignificant puzzle pieces that Dumas weaves together little by little. It may be subtle, but there is a purpose; I won't spoil anything, but we can talk about it more in the next few weeks as you read on. Napoleon's exile on Elba and 100 days provide the huge political backdrop which ends up sticking its fingers in a lot of characters' pies.

Just finishes chapter 6. How does the illness allegory work? It makes no sense to call Dantes a patient, which implies villefort will be curing him of disease but via analogy the conspirator IS the disease. Is that Dumas trying to show us the vanity of the royalists (with classical references and latin proverbs)?

I'm enjoying this so far. This book reminds me of The Red and The Black a lot.

Finished the second reading. Everyone is a giant self-interested asshole lying and cheating to take everything they can.

Is the name Dantes normal for a French reader or is it allusion to The Divine Comedy where protagonist has to literally go through hell to get paradise?

Welcome to life, my friend

bump for niggas

This book is cosy as fuck for a Christmas read. Just got to the bit where everyone loses their shit over napoleon's return while villefort is secretly smug as fuck.

Bump to save from death.

Hmm, good catch, user. I think it's the later.

Did anyone get ahead over christmas ?

Nope. Starting 10-15 now

Villefort did nothing wrong.

I gave up at those chapters about random french dudes searching for a horse carriage for 300 pages.

Nope

new thread