Stack thread

Let's see em, R8, H8, negoti8

>he plays video games

Yikes

But user, maybe he plays them ironically.

>Meme shit
>Depressing shit
>More meme shit

What a good stack you have there, OP

Nice stack. What's the Freustie like?

But what sort of stack is this? To-read? Recent purchases? All the books you have?

>All that fiction
>Only 1 book that could qualify as philosophy

shootout to a portrait

I went to the library yesterday.

Lmao this is embarrassing. Most of these aren't even hardcover.

>adventure time plushie

Recent purchases

fuggin' casual

Post yours then, fagott.

Anyone know if this book will be a good introduction to the romans ?

>adventure time merc

BLAKED

This is just my temp stack
Im at my parents house for Christmas block leave!

I don't get it. Is he bad or something?

I can't relate to any of these stacks

I've never read Rubicon so I could be wrong, but after glancing at a few pages (since it's recommended so often) I'd say almost certainly not. It reads like pop history, almost historical fiction (without being actually fictional).

If that's what you want, go for it. If you actually want history, try:

Pic related for a quick intro to the Republic (very short book

Another book in the same series by Wells called "The Roman Empire" for the empire.

Syme's "Roman Revolution" for the transition period from Republic to Empire

And if you want some primary sources (much recommended! But they'll take longer), consider:

Livy's history, which is one of only two primary source histories of the Roman monarchy/early Republic. Books 1-10 take you from the founding of the city to about 290 BC. 10-20 are lost, 21-30 are about the second punic war (best part of Livy IMO), 31-45 take you from ~200 BC to ~167 BC, interesting but not crucial if you don't really love Roman history.

Polybius is probably the best teacher of history from the ancient world and is worth reading at least a part of, like the oxford classics edition. Much of his work is lost, but generally he covers the Punic wars (264 BC-146 BC)

Caesar is a dry writer, but obviously interesting for his perspective. At least consider him.

Appian's "Civil wars" give a broader perspective than Caesar, and concern all of the major domestic conflicts at Rome in the first century BC.

Sallust's "Catiline" and "Jugurtha" are only snapshots of Roman history, but the issues at stake and Sallust's way of addressing them shed a lot of light on the corruption of the republic, politically and morally, leading up to Caesar and the Empire.

Plutarch's biographies of Romans would be a decent overview of great Romans, and there are obviously other writers, but once you at least peek into Livy, Caesar, and Tacitus, you'll have a decent idea of the republic and early empire.

>
La mayor parte de los libros en inglés que compraste tienen traducción al español, pero aun así admiro tu valentía

S(h)artred.

>reading translations when you can read in the original

I will not mock you just because of your dubs.

Is that translation of Proust good?

tldr

Ellison is a talentless hack

My local thrift shop was having a Boxing Day sale so i picked up these for $2.50

my sort of reading. They all look kinda brand new though - your Xmas loot?

Estoy estudiando Literatura Inglesa. No tengo otra opción. Lo cual no me es ni complejo ni desagradable. (Perdón por sonar tan snob, m8, :^( )

This Spanish translation is, as far as I know, the canonical one. Our teacher at College recommended us to read that edition. Besides is the """cheapest""", since the other translations are in huge volumes that are not so comfortable to read or expensive as fuck (>anagrama).

Dónde estudias? En Filosofía y Letras? Qué generación?

No. Just three of them were bought recently (namely, Woolf's Mrs Dalloway, Kant's Critique, and Milton's Paradise Lost). They look new for two main reasons: I take great care of my books while reading them (such as buying those transparent covers, since most of them were bought for reading them for College or for mere pleasure), or I haven't read them yet. YET-

WHO ARE YOU?

exparden me?

I have the exact same copy of crime and punishment!

Ya casi me gradúo, estoy haciendo mi tesis de King Lear y el libro de Job. En qué semestre vas?

>The History of Gardens
Do tell.

Pasé a mi quinto semestre de mi licenciatura en la PUC. No quiero dar más info porque paranoia

Yo pensé que eras de la UNAM. No sé ni cual es la PUC. Está en México? Ah bueno, pues espero que tengas una buena vida universitaria, lee mucho, estudia mucho, y vive bien, compa. Por cierto, tienes buen gusto.

No, la Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
Hablando de King Lear, pasa que nunca he podido leerlo, así, bien. ¿Algún consejo, algún juicio, algo que quieras destacar?
Muchas gracias, estimado. Mucho éxito en tu tesis. Se ve bien interesante-

Oye, tú posteaste esa foto de los libros que tienes al fondo hace no mucho tiempo atrás. Respect.
¿Qué tal es esa Biblia? Hace rato que me la quiero comprar pero no sé. ¿Podrías tomarle una foto al comienzo del Cantar de los Cantares, por favor?

The History of Gardens by Christopher Thacker pub 1979

It's a little disappointing, actually. It's clearly a hack coffee table job by a competent writer who has no great rapport with gardens. As a survey it gives the opportunity to research in greater detail online items of interest, and some of the historic plans and illustrations are quite worthwhile.

I guess about 60% of my reading is from charity sales and thriftshops (which is what you see), maybe 10% from the library (which goes back) and the rest ebook torrents.

Desperate request: Anyone have a torrent magnet for Concise Oxford Dictionary of English? Please ...

image left - garden 1626 AD in Nijo Castle, Kyoto

Yo tengo algunos amigos chilenos. Son buenas personas, algún día quiero ir a Chile. Gracias por los buenos deseos, a ver qué pasa con la pinche tesis jaja.

Sobre King Lear, pues tómalo como cualquier Shakespeare. Sin miedo y con entusiasmo. Es una excelente obra. Te recomiendo leerla y después ver una puesta en escena. Busca la de Ian McKellen como Lear, está en Pirate Bay. También una edición comentada es buena opción. Si puedes conseguir la de Arden te la recomiendo, es muy buena. Si no tienes dinero o quieres una más reciente, prueba la de Oxford. Incluso la puedes encontrar en LibGen. A parte de eso, léela y disfrútala, de nuevo, sin miedo y con entusiasmo, pero hazlo pronto. Shakespeare es esencial en general, y en particular para nuestra carrera. Lee y reele lo más que puedas de él, nunca sobra y siempre falta. Veo que tienes la edicion de Oxford de sus poemas. Es un buen calentamiento, y se disfrutan mucho.

Es una buena edición de la KJV. Si tienes el dinero consigue la de Norton Critical Edition en dos tomos.

What's with all the Chinese in this thread?

Estimado, ¿hay alguna forma de continuar el contacto? Me gustaría poder seguir conversando más allá. Si no quieres, está bien.

Claro, si gustas puedes mandar un correo a [email protected]. Lo use una vez para comprar manga en internet y abusar de un descuento. Contactame y platicamos.

¿Eres de la UNAM? Yo estudio Letras en la UAM, ja.

Ayyyy lmao qué semestre vas? De qué harás tu tesis? r u a grill????

>video games can't be good literature
>metro 2033
>halo

Sí, lol. Y apenas voy en tercer semestre, así que aún me falta para la tesis. De hecho hice examen para la UNAM, me quedé y al final me fui a la UAM porque me queda más cerca y no quería ir diario a CU.

Pues igual te deseo éxito en tu carrera, mi estimada. Disfrútala mientras puedas, porque el próximo año el país arderá como Troya

Thank you for that great reply!

I didn't find any translations of the first 3 books to my native language (Hebrew).
I read few English novels but never tried reading a history book in English,should i try them or a Hebrew alternative ?

Just started reading.
Starting with 100-150 pages a day, which seems manageable even for busier days.

this ur stack ? where mug from ?

I can't wait for them to make a /phil/ containment board so all you emtpy pretentious faggots can finally go fuck off somewhere no one has to witness your bullshit

They're supposed to be on Veeky Forums, not here.

That makes me hate them all the more

Not exactly dense literature but you'll enjoy reading most of those.

Not him but I can't stand reading hardcovers. They do look better on a shelf though.

Brah, does you library allow you to keep books for over half a year?
This is a ridiculous ammount.

Nice stack user, I think you should start Gravities Rainbow as soon as possible. It may seem long but it is a great entry point.

>This is how easily the fiction-fags get triggered

Truly, the most intellectually stunted demographic within the literary scene.

I read, serially, but doing 150 pages a day is just a weird arbitrary target, just read until you don't feel like reading anymore. If it's a book a day, a book a week, or a book a fortnight.

Will read GR after a few smaller ones.
150 pages a day is the minimum I'm going for. If I go over, then that's great. If not, then 150 or even 100 pages a day is not bad. I can read that much at work too.

GR is a great entry point into what? Pynchon? I hear you should at least read Crying of Lot 49 and V. first.

No, Blake is one the greatest poets of all time.

>ese sentimiento cuando no qt literaria

por que vivir

>library allows me to keep books for up to two years
>can sign out an unlimited amount of books
>have at least 70 books on a special shelf at home
>mfw I have my own personal library branch

That's a little douchey.

If people want any of the books they can recall them and I have to bring them back in two weeks. This rarely happens because:

>reading for fun
>2016

Nah man, his shorter works are actually way harder to get into. Much denser. Gravities Rainbow is definitely where you should start.

Don't fall for it , I've been reading since like six and I'm finding GR really fuckin' tough.

r8 my stack: working on the topmost two.
inb4 "owning a varsity jacket."

>Evola
>Codreanu

Have you come out to your parents as a fascist yet? I did this Christmas, it was awful.

>bring Gudrun home to meet the family
>they ask why she has so many wolfsangel tattoos
>Well Dad. . .
>He starts raging and yelling, Mom just sobs quietly
>He tells me he didn't raise me to be a fascist, that I have to be a neo-liberal globalist egalitarian just like him
>Gudrun sticks up for me, tells him we aren't fooled by his Jewish inspired rhetoric
>He spends the rest of the night reciting verses from Hard Choices
>We storm out (no pun intended) and go rent a flat above a beerhall

2/10 would not repeat

He's won more awards than any other sf author.

Lmao don't fall for this memester. You should definitely read GR soon. If you struggle with it then really you're probably just not cut out for literature.

No offense, but you sound like a shithead.

Getting the following today:
Transylvanian Trilogy-Banffy
Ice Trilogy-Sorokin
The Little Demon-Sologub

Can't decide if my next one should be Carpenter's Gothic or another Kraznahorkai novel.

Also Sunflower by Kurdy

What should I read next lads: Anna Karenina, Catch-22 or Demons (by Dosto)?

have about 30 pages left of War and Peace.

Sounds like you should read the rest of War and Peace next, tbqh

Catch-22 to break up all that Russian stuff

Is it Veeky Forums?

Niqqa I don't give a shit. You're going to read them anyway, may as well vary the order a little.

>I did this Christmas, it was awful
This line was funny.

The English shouldn't be too difficult, since these books aren't intended to have impressive style. But if you feel more comfortable in Hebrew, I'm sure you could find similar books in that language. I can't read the title of the book you posted (knowing no Hebrew), but based on the cover, I'd guess that's a good direction to head in; it looks like a simple, no-nonsense book that is comfortable with being history, without trying to behave like a novel.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

I bought the sequel to Rational Male having read the first in ebook for. Love the content but this nigga needs a publisher or someone to edit the damn book. Looks self published as fuck. Garbage margins, terrible page layout, etc.

That said Rational male is based

>inb4 fedora

>My university library lets us keep for semester

I got paid early this month, lads. Also, missing Ligotti.

What I'm currently working through.

then its even worse

"History of the roman republic" by Israel Shatzman (Israeli historian)
Im going to give the english books a try.

Why are you reading Wittgenstein in English?

nicé
how's that oxford bible

I'm American, so for books of philosophy I typically like to have both an English and German copy for the sake of comparison. I'll get the German edition eventually. Wittgenstein translations aren't too radically different, at least I didn't notice anything big in the Blue/Brown Books or Philosophical Investigations.

>Abridged edition
user plz. What's your reasoning? If it's the length then I can assure you Decline and Fall is not a fast read at fucking all but Gibbon is a great writer than keeps the books moving along. If it's the price than you should have saved for it t b h

>pirate all my books and read them on an e-reader
>can't even show off on Veeky Forums
>have no sweet stacks
>even if I did, have no one to show them to
>no one but me knows I read anything

I'm with you there pal, it's the only bad thing about e-readers.