Christmas pile

Show us which nice books Santa got you

from my dad to me.

Damn, user, that's sexy!
Merry Christmas!

I got these before Christmas but it was meant for Chritmas.

Merry Christmas, Anons!

I'm giving a copy of the Foundation series to my sister for Christmas. It's already wrapped or else I'd take a photo. I'm not sure she'll like it, but it's worth a shot.

>French

I got a very large stack.

May I ask if you have any editions of Rabelais in french? I'm currently trying to find an edition I like to read. I've already read the first 4 (true) books in the Screech and Frame translations and I wanna try reading it in French.

Also, here's my gift to myself this season.

Have you read the Divine Comedy before?

>Novelas ejemplares

Neat. Rinconete y Cortadillo is fun.

Yes. Why?

Was it any good?

It wasn't very funny, but I found the moments when Dante allows the Pilgrim to show his humanity very affecting. And the strength of his creation is inspiring.

Thanks mommy.
Happy Christmas anons

From Santa, you mean

Nice books though. Merry Christmas.

Merry christmas user, enjoy your reading :)

Nice selection btw - asked for or your mother's choice?

Sorry it's blurry but I already shelved them and am not taking it again

My parents might browse lit. For some reason theyd never in a million years buy me a physical book but would have no problem giving me a gift card or something for a kindle. i don't use ereaders though

Oh no, I had made a list. Thanks user :)

They're in the mail, but...

1. V. by Thomas Pynchon
2. Ulysses: Annotated Students' Edition by James Joyce
3. The Karamazov Brothers by Fyodor Dostoevsky (trans. Ignat Avsey)
4. The Collected Shorter Fiction, Vol. 2 (Everyman's Library) by Leo Tolstoy
5. The Essential Turgenev
6. David Copperfield (Oxford World's Classics) by Charles Dickens
7. The Spooky Art: Thoughts on Writing by Norman Mailer
8. ESV Reader's Bible: Six-Volume Set

Your mom is awesome.

>7. The Spooky Art: Thoughts on Writing by Norman Mailer

Very enjoyable read. I don't really care for his fiction, but Mailer has a way of representing the act of writing in very cut-and-dry terms.

ITT Blurry photos.

And my own jealousy. I haven't bought a book in a long time now and I've still got too many, and the desire for more.

Yeah, I opened it up on Amazon one day and fell into it for about an hour. Put it on my Wish List, now it's in the mail.

I'm torn on Mailer too. I love hearing him being interviewed, and this writing book is good, but then I try to read his fiction (you know, being in the library, picking up a Mailer book, reading a few pages) and it doesn't grab me. The only one that kind of did it for me was Naked and the Dead. One of the opening scenes has a soldier describing fucking a certain girl as like sticking your dick in "a barrel of honey," and for some reason that did it for me. Might try to read that one.

2666 from sister
GR from mum
comfyyyy

merry christmas happu new year Veeky Forums

I LOVE Kindle Paperwhite!

>tfw you get meme'd by your own family

My brother thinks I'm a racist Trump support so he got me I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Had a laugh with my parents about it.

I got a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card at my work's gift exchange, so that's nice.

What translation is that?

I got all my trump supporting relatives pieces of coal.

>Get books as gifts.
>Get the shit editions.
>Where Waldo GR.
>Every time.

You got memed.

I got the tin drum by gunter grass
I read the back cover and im not really feeling it, should I give it a try, bros?

What a cuck

he prob lives in uk, those are the uk editions

This right here is why you don't post your gifted books on Veeky Forums. You're just asking for a shitbag to come in and explain why what you received is garbage and you're a dumb peasant for thinking otherwise.

There's no upside, and you're bound to leave less happy than when you came. This truly is a depressing place, even on Christmas Eve.

Going to be ordering the following sometime tonight or tomorrow since I'm getting a gift card and some money, thoughts?:
The Transylvanian Trilogy-Banffy
Ice Trilogy-Sorokin
Sunflower-Kurdy
The Little Demon-Sologub
Marketa Lazarova-Vancura

p sure hes not serious, just giving shit

>Paying for books

>Buying new when you could get it second hand for a 1/10 of the price

I actually bought 2666 sometime this week and my edition looks completely different to his, it's this one.

you IRL

i think his is the regular picador edition, and yours is the 'picador classic' edition. his came out a few years back, yours this year.

I prefer it to his edition but would've loved it if they kept the original artwork from the first edition. Might have to find a Spanish version for that reason next month.

>weeks before Christmas
>give my mother hints that I'd like to read Dubliners
>say it's Christmas so she can afford to buy me a good edition and not a cheap paperback
>spend the nest few weeks talking about how magnificent an author Joyce is
>Christmas
>mother shows me a present in the shape of a nice hardcover book
>feel good about this, proud of my mother for the first time in my life
>as soon as she hands me the book, all that goes away
>feel under the wrappings a shitty floopy paperback
>open it and see it's a fucking Penguin edition
>sternly tell mother that Everyman editions are the books that are aesthetically beautiful and long lasting
>she keeps telling me that my present is a centennial edition and that the artwork looks pretty, as if that makes it better
>tell her this Penguin piece of shit will fall apart after only a few rereadings
>demonstrate my point by opening and closing the poorly made Penguin edition just a few times
>it rips apart really easily and turns into a pathetic pile of paper on the floor
>tfw she won't buy me the Everyman version because I've been acting bad

She told me I could have just made an exchange if I didn't "destroy" the book I had, but I don't want another poor reader to suffer.

your dad is patrician as fuck.

>tell her this Penguin piece of shit will fall apart after only a few rereadings

user is actually an 800-lb gorilla that roughly handles every book he touches. Don't let him near your library.

>it wasn't very funny

I wonder how many people pick up the book looking a laugh not having idea of comedy/tragedy.

>asking for Everyman edition instead of the Norton Critical Edition with its far superior supplemental material

Why do you punish yourself so?

t. Ignatius

Pls respond

I thought he was making a joke. If not, he just bought 6 books on the subject so I'm sure he'll figure it out soon enough.

>being this buttmad about someone saving your country

Why do you want the United States to burn so much?

I am actually from brazil, that edition of GR from UK is the only one to be found around here, at least in english, and the 2666 is a brazilian edition (translated)
>pic related

exactly, i know this is Veeky Forums and an user giving me shit for whatever reason wont spoil my christmas

If a book is originally in English, do you prefer the English version, or do you look for a Brazillian translation even of English works??

Its still several hours until Christmas day where I live.

We don't even wrap presents till like 1 AM Chirstmas morning in my house. Opening presents before Christmas is cheating. You're all doing Christmas wrong.

>tfw can't find a decent pdf version of Omensetter's Luck anywhere

I always try to find a english edition, if I don't find it anywhere I either read it in my computer through kindle or buy translated depending on the book

Dude, who cares if it falls apart. It's one of the most boring short story collections of that entire century.

Merry Christmas all you anons out there!

I got Don Quixote, which is exciting.

It's the Tobias Smollett translation, no clue if that's good or which translation is the best, and I'm years away from being able to read Spanish well enough for the original.

Haha, most of them thought it was funny.

You don't have to discuss politics in virulent shrieks, you know?

We open presents presents on Christmas Eve night because that's how my German father said it is done in home country. I've always wondered if he is full of shit.

Your dad just couldn't wait until morning.

I didn't get any books but i did get money that will be exchanged for books tomorrow

Omensetter's luck was a good read. Definitely would read twice.

You're a harder soul than me then. I find the extreme sanctimonious posturing exhibited by some on this board to be nauseating. I can never stay for long or risk becoming like it myself.

I'm pretty sure it's Dead Souls, Gulag Archipelago, and some Carl Jung

I love this post. Art. Merry Christmas user

No yellow sweater?

Holy shit user. You're a fucking faggot dude.

I feel ya. Right now reading Ulysses translated, couldn't find an english version, but I for sure want to read the original. Of course when I say this in this board I get crucified by the >read-the-original-police.

You can get the English ebook online. A cheap new copy of Ulysses is on Amazon for $2 even, but alas that's in the US. I guess it's hard to come by over there.

People arguing against reading translation are classic trolls. They just like getting a rise out of people.

Not allowed to open them until Xmas tomorrow, but I got:

Glittering Images by Camille Paglia

Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia

Justine by Marquis De Sade

And I got myself a copy of The Tyranny Of Cliches by Jonah Goldberg.

>Goldberg

I wonder what its like having a name thats literally its own stereotype.

At least he isn't an economist or something. I do think "Goldman Sachs" is a little too on the nose. Like sacks of cash, come on.

Not sure if you're trolling, but I asked for a copy of Glittering Images by Camille Paglia in hardcover because it contains glossy images, and is basically a nice display book if I get the soft-cover I will be enraged.

invitation for a beheading is really dope enjoy it user

Winesburg, Ohio is one of my favorite books. Hope you enjoy and Merry Christmas!

and there are some more in the mail (Santa wrapped up print-outs of the tracking codes):
Anew - Louis Zukofsky
The Tennis Court Oath - John Ashbery
The Enchanter - Vladimir Nabokov
Cannonball - Joseph McElroy
Night Soul and Other Stories - Joseph McElroy

They all look the same!

Got a nice Prose Edda and Jerusalem in hardcover. Cheers Santa.

I don't care if you guys are working as insurgent marketing or are just Memeing, any which ways you're advertising a shitty product that is easily made redundant by the smartphone in everyone's pocket.

More like Tobias Smalldick
His translation sucks

I picked up a copy of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold used for 95 cents

It's falling apart but I'm really happy with it

>United States Constitution, Article XXXII, s.1
>"It is mandated that all debate and discussion of proposed bills and other pressing matters pertaining to the government or the sovereign people of these United States shall be conducted through smug chortles, virulent shrieks, unintelligible blubbering, or strings of threadbare platitudes strung together without any thought paid to the composition of the resulting assertions or arguments."
Hamilton makes a good case for this in the Federalist Papers.

I got
1q84 - Haruki Murakami
Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
After Dark - Haruki Murakami
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Haruki Murakami

Nah, that's how Germans do it. Can't say I'm a fan of it tho

Got these.

A poem collection of Babits.
A Murakami book
A short account of a guy who lived with indians in Brazil.
And a translation of some italian sci-fi.

Others don't really matter.

Not bad

I got given catcher in the rye by a qt.13
I already have it and it is a bit pleb but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to think that she considered me. I love it when people pay attention to my hobbies and get me gifts related to them, and when it is her I am especially glad.

look at me im french and i get every single french, german, and fuking european book ready to buy at any given notice without having to bother looking for obscure publishers.

congrats op -

Since I don't have any friends i wanna share my purchase with u guys, not Veeky Forums but /art/ is pretty lit. My next post can be Veeky Forums.

I saved up all year and got this, since i don't have rent i collect art instead.

Antiquary books? You don't see that shit in Libri or Alexandra stores cept for Murakami.
Quite a strange combo of lit if you ask me.

Haven't gotten any books (yet). Though I did buy myself Olga Grushin's The Line last week. I got a bottle Jameson and Jagermeister instead, which is Veeky Forums af.

GF gave me Silence by Endo and Krasznohorkai's Seiobo there below. I am pleased.

Yeah.
Apparently the sci-fi and murakami books were ordered but they sent all that extra stuff for some reason.

Any idea what I could spend 3000 orbándollárs on in Libri?

Buy Marie Kondo's Tiszta Öröm; it's an insightful guide on how to fold your underwear correctly and put everything else in you house in order.

My serious answer being, I honestly don't know, depends on your genre preferences. There's a 2+1 deal on a lot of books rn so something cheap like a couple Helikon pocketbooks.

Those pocketbooks are cool
Too bad I already own most of the ones I wanted.
Maybe the Samurai+The second Poe collection+The napoleon book or something could work.

No pics because all books have German translations
>dante - devine comedy
>houllebeque - the possibility of an island
>faulkner - as I lay dying
>fleischhauer - from someone who turned accidentally conservative

Could be copypasta quality with minor revisions. Thanks for the laugh, and Merry Christmas user!

It's a great but sad book, OP. Enjoy

>Jim Dodge

Great fucking choice user