Wings

Hi
Yuropoor here.
I keep reading and hearing about wings and I realized I never really had it.
I've read recipes only, some say to double fry, other say that doing it in the oven is fine if you dry the chicken before hand...
What is your favorite method?
What do you use to spice them? I can't find many premade hot sauces heres.

Thanks for the inputs

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I mean the traditional sauce is just a cayenne vinegar sauce (pic related) mixed with melted butter.

so if I find cayennes I could make it myself?

Ignore him.
Fry it as you would breaded chicken. The traditional "salt, fry n toss with sauce" method is markedly inferior.

Sorry I don't know if it's my english or if I'm stupid but I don't understand the difference you're trying to make

I generally coat in salt and black pepper and roast on a cookie sheet at 400F for 30 minutes. Meanwhile heat several tbs of butter with several cloves of garlic on low heat for 10 minutes to infuse the garlic flavor in the oil. Then dump in about 1-2 cups of your favorite hot sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Place wings in sauce and shake well. There it is.

I prefer to fry em after coating them in flour then tossing them in Franks hot, a dash of old bay, and a bunch of butter

Thanks for the input
Two questions:
1. Isn't the pepper burning at such temp? I'm always a bit afraid
2. Beside tabasco there are no hot sauces here. I can find ground chilis too but that's it... Should I make some myself from scratch or is there a way to substitute?

What is old bay?

Best wings I've made were fried at 325, then fried again at 375, then immediately tossed in sauce. I also did just brunettes, and frenched em. Like tiny meat lollypops.

It's a seasoning here in the states, though I suppose you could get a similar effect with just a dash of celery salt and paprika en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning

I love nutmeg this sounds quite nice
Thanks

>is pepper burning

I've never noticed it. I put it on my roast chicken too. But if it flips a no switch for you don't use it.

>i only have tabasco

Yeah, that's a tough one. Of course it would be better to make your own, but I thought you guys didn't have access to hot peppers. Maybe order a bottle of Frank's or Louisiana Hot Sauce from the internet?

I can find several fresh peppers in asian markets but it's hard to come across a specific one beside cayenne and bird's eye
And ground chilis are often no named so it's a lottery heat-wise.
I guy I could try to order it, I'll explore that but it could become very expensive

No problem. Also, wings here are usually served with a side of celery sticks and either ranch or blue (bleu?) cheese. Definitely recommend with ranch if you want to go for the full wing experience

> brunettes

A combination of birds eye and cayenne ground with about 1/2 the volume added vinegar making it shelf stable, would probably work well. Heat it to simmering in a well ventilated room (or preferably outside) and add a bit of salt and sugar to taste. Then either strain it or just put it directly into the jar.

That shit will fucking burn your eyes while cooking, but taste great. More like Peri Peri wings, but that's not a bad thing.

i guess deep frying is the best, no expert.

but if you are willing to buy an obscure hot sauce an user recommended you, get some "gator hammock" shipped to you. best sauce ive had.

You don't get a fuckload of smoke when you roast?

Of course you double fry.
It's like basics of basics.

I would be hard to make cayenne sauce yourself, buy some Louisiana hot sauce or something vinegar based. Pre-mixed 'buffalo' sauce works ok, but it's not as good.

don't bread wings you idiot

don't roast them, fry them in vegetable oil

the easiest wing sauce is vinegar based hot sauce with butter, about 50/50, garlic doesn't hurt and you could add Parmesan too

Fry the wings in hot oil (don't smoke your oil) maybe double fry them if you want. You could flour coat them beforehand but that's not necessary, then toss them with hot sauce and butter, and garlic/ maybe onion powder and Parmesan. You can add other stuff to your liking but that's not 'authentic' if that's what you're going for. 'Murrican style buffalo wings have a base of Louisiana style hot sauce which is pretty mild in heat and pretty distinct, so not sure if the cayanne pepper + vinegar mix will work.

No. I keep my oven clean though. When I start noticing a burning smell, even slight while preheating the oven, I'll hit the self clean when I'm done.