Did you take an AP Literature class in high school? If so, did you like it? How did you do on the exam?

Did you take an AP Literature class in high school? If so, did you like it? How did you do on the exam?

pretty fucking easy for me. tho i text like a retard online because I grew up playing MMO's where u need 2 type fast af while doing raids n shit

what's AP?

yeah, got a 5 and it was a melting pot of pseud lit and liberalism smuggled into my shitty teacher's course. Holy fuck, fuck that teacher.

>read the stranger as an assignment
>already read it, but that's fine, i'll go in with new perspective
>time comes to discuss book
>teacher finishes explaining existentialism to the class, then goes on a rage saying how it was misogynistic by having his mom die and how philosophy is ruined by white straight men

FUCK. YOU. MRS. W.

I didn't bother, I knew people who took them and said the credit didn't even apply when they actually got into college.

Also, it had that whole, "I'm so mature and smart I'm taking college classes in high school!" feel. When I was in college, and had to take class with the uppity fucking AP kids and I always wanted to tell them, "Look, you're taking bottom tier college courses, this shit may as well be high school, chill the fuck out hotshot."

I took AP Lit. At my school it was offered senior year. It was my best class, and I loved it and the teacher with all my heart. I made a 5 on the exam after taking two practice tests offered by our own teachers. I love English a lot, and I think I'm better at writing essays than the multiple choice. With the essays I really enjoyed being able to interpret all these different types of texts and write about their techniques and styles. It's something I naturally like writing about and getting into, it's fascinating.

Some books we read to give you an idea, in order:

The Great Gatsby (supposed to be read earlier in high school so our teacher thought it prudent to get it over with before we graduated)
Wuthering Heights
Crime and Punishment
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
No Country for Old Men
Slaughterhouse Five
King Lear
Hamlet
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Heart of Darkness

We also had poetry from Frost, Dickinson, Keats, and Donne.

Oh and we read some of Joyce's work too, from Dubliners. It got me into reading Ulysses

Advanced placement.
Basically classes that give you credits in college if you do well on their exams.

Thank you so much for putting it in order which you read. Really adds to the post. 10/10.

shit wasn't around when I was in HS. I actually scored like a 98 on my college's lit entrance exams, they still made me take all the pre-req lit classes. Bunch of fags.

Oh yeah no problem friend. I'm glad I could help a fellow like you out. The reason I put it in order was to show you the development of the class so that people who didn't take it could see where we started and how we grew and evolved into the different time periods and how it varied. I'm glad you're so funny to have to write such a sarcastic post about it hidden with vague seriousness and really just being ironic there with the "10/10" but I really hope you giggled and laughed so much for that because you sure gave me a chuckle friend. Show it to all your friends kid, you're so clever. I almost believed your sincerity but knew you were being too complimentary. You've been caught, good try and good show. 10/10 for the effort.

Bye.

No, I took college courses instead. It was great prep for writing essays in college, I didn't have the early issues a lot of freshmen have because of that. The AP students seemed to be a mixed bag on how they adapted to real college courses, while my fellow students in the college courses all did well.

>class clown
>reading King Lear
>try reading in my normal voice instead of something stupid
>teacher makes me stop and gets mad at me for not taking Shakespeare seriously
Jokes on him I was the only kid in class with an actual interest in literature.

>did you like it?
Mainly because it was easy to slack.

>How did you do on the exam?
Well (97%), considering that the night before I stayed up with my boyfriend with the intention of studying but instead drank a bunch of shroom tea. My teacher actually called and left a message saying that that the way I answered the questions were weird and he would like to talk about it with me. That was just for my final year of HS though

I took it and did well. I didn't take the test. I didn't like that all the AP classes I took were basically about working the test or test environment and far less about actually understanding the subject. I liked the class because one thing it did do was build up my endurance for writing essays about literally anything, whether I care for the topic or not.

>take AP class
>still have to do stupid arts and crafts shit like do dioramas and illustrations instead of actual essays and analyses

FOR FUCK'S SAKE I WAS ONE OF THE FEW STUDENTS TO ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND SHAKESPEARE'S LANGUAGE BUT BECAUSE I CAN'T DRAW WELL I HAVE TO ALMOST FAIL THE FUCKING CLASS

Yup. Spent the whole year reading feminist literature instead of actually learning anything of real value. I've learned more through Veeky Forums, /pol/, and Veeky Forums than I have in AP class tbqh. Still got a 4 on the exam tho so I guess it didn't really matter.

I took 0 AP classes in high school. I struggled pretty badly with my grades.

what? you don't actually take the courses at college, you realize

ap is babytown

I loved French Literature but I don't think I have hated anyone as much as I hated my English Literature teacher. I'm sure some of it is teenage dramatics but after she talked to my teacher, my mother told me she got the feeling she didn't like me but did like my brother. Bitter hag

Anyway, I got a 4 on both exams.

damn, serious triggerin goin on here

>I love English a lot, and I think I'm better at writing essays than the multiple choice. With the essays I really enjoyed being able to interpret all these different types of texts and write about their techniques and styles. It's something I naturally like writing about and getting into, it's fascinating.
you're such a pretentious, inane and faggy assclown it's astounding.

Who else /two5s/ here for AP English lit and AP English lang?

I was in a normal level english, but at the end of the year, I took the AP test anyway and got a 4/5. You just need to writes some essays. Nothing too hard.

Yes, I got a 5 on the test

-Crime and Punishment / Death of Ivan Ilyich as summer reading
-Unironically started with the Greeks, Poetics, Trial of Socrates, Oedipus
-The Metamorphosis
-Hamlet (loved it)
-Tess of the d'urbervilles over winter break
-Heart of Darkness
-Sound and the Fury
-Inferno

I really really regret not being Veeky Forums at the time, I just kind of treated it like any other class my senior year (fuck it but do decent). It was the most based literature class I've ever seen too. My teacher was this gay old man who loved Shakespeare and the sound of his own voice. If I was more into it at the time I would have gotten so much Veeky Forums knowledge and experience from it, but instead I just kind of got a surface level understanding. If you are taking it OP, throw yourself into it like I didn't know how to in high school.

yea, i got a 4 and got the credits. i was a lazy pseud who didn't read any of the course material. i don't think i finished a book that year. i had a cute girlfriend and we sat the farthest away from the teacher in the front of the class. i read ralph ellison's the invisible man the year before that and wrote my essay about it again.

i reiterate this, it's a really good course for a young student to devote themselves to and i regret not doing so.

We had to read a book every month and had a 2000 word essay due every single night.

Did I get meme'd into super hard core AP lit or some shit?

I remember at one point we had like 4 essays due within a week.

>Individual book report essay
>Class book report essay
>End of semester essay
>Nightly essay

Got a 5. I had a really bad year and failed the third quarter of that AP class though because I was depressed and didn't do an essay worth 50% semester grade. Turned in a C paper for half credit meaning I got a 35 on the paper and still failed the quarter. Got a B final quarter. Got a 5 in exam as I said and the only book I read was Hamlet. This was a year before I read a lot starting a few years ago. I'm skeptical of AP classessment because I would go home and be upset at the world and do no homework, get C's, study for the AP exam 2 weeks before it was time, and got 5s in like 10 total AP classes except Chemistry and Gov. Former because I sincerely was bad at Chem and the latter because I had taken 4 exams before it and needed only a 3 to get college credit so I finished halfway through.

A C student shouldn't be getting 5s. There's something fundamentally broken with the system.

American public education only marginally tests for intelligence --- if you're not smart, you won't get into honors/AP classes in the first place. However, beyond a certain very obvious point (people with 150+ IQs aren't going to be in regular classes), it doesn't give you grades based on raw intelligence but on the work you do, how hard you work at it and how much of it you do.

A valid criticism is that they give way too much fucking work and/or work that isn't rewarding or stimulating or meaningful at all.

i used sparknotes alot, but i mostly just got lucky with a teacher who liked me also didn't give much work.

i went to a private catholic school where the mean ACT score was a 24. not sure if that had something to do with it.

>those banal annotations
Why do people do this?

Well I was jumped into a special gifted program based on childhood IQ (150 something Idk and idc because it's useless and I'm anonymous) and jumped into AP classes based on all As as a freshman which was easy even with no work.

What you said in spoilers is kinda the same in college too. I've had like 2 courses that didn't feel like trade school busy work (CS) or a game of "bullshit the professor by using powerful sentence structures and quotes from meaningless JSTOR articles" (English lit). I dont have a perfect GPA but I'm convinced a 3.5 in college is a matter of showing up to class.

I'm so done with school and academia. Its all such a waste and a fraud. I'm so glad I'm graduating in a semster.

>tfw mine was obnoxiously far left too and just showed videos of occupy Wall Street all day rather than you know.... teaching literatute

the first thing they made us read was how to mark a book by mortimer adler and some of them would actually make us do it. i don't get it either.

That's great, I'm also a bit weirded out that I seemed to guess your IQ. Christmas miracle and whatnot.

I dropped out of high school at 14 and went to college. So in a way all my classes were AP.

And before considering me a braggart, I've done fuckall with my degree and am now NEET. Thanks life.

I'd kill myself, but I haven't finished Infinite Jest yet.

I bet my tested IQ is lower now, so doesn't matter. I'm smart enough to have strong work and possible political ambitions and achieve them. When in reality I kinda wanna be an artist.

You also guessed it because most bullshitters onine brag about 150iqs rather than 140 (since there are a decent number of those statistically) and 160 sounds too unbelievable.

It's Christmas I'm drunk and underslept

I took it, didn't finish any of the books except for A Portrait Of The Artist as a Young Man, fell asleep in class a lot, and passed with a B and a 5 on the exam. Feelsgood, but now I want to go back and reread some of the novels I never finished. Ms Dalloway can go fuck itself though that was garbage.

I took two, in junior and senior year. The classes themselves were alright, both were mostly focused on essays more than the literature but the book selection was pretty good, better than in freshman year when we were assigned John Green to read. Naturally this was back when I was a little shit and didn't read a whole lot, so I skipped on some of the books. Got 4s on both exams If I remember. Most AP classes are basically the same as regular high-school classes, I don't get the hype about them.

Some classes made you do it for a grade. I did it in Senior year for Owen Meany, an awful experience.

In a fuckton of the U.S., you cannot exempt entry level english college courses. You can math, but not english.

This is because they actually expect people to learn important things like math in public school and not really bother with the useless works of writers who are fairly irrelevant in the understanding of life.

Yes, it was an easy way to make sure I wasn't in classes with complete idiots and gangbangers. I grew up in a shitty area, AP classes were a good way to stay away from the worst people in my high school.

>did you like it
Not particularly. They were better than normal classes, but it really depends on the teacher you get; I had one teacher that was ridiculously strict about stupid shit (for example, we had tests based on memorization and copying of passages from books, if you mistranscribed parts, you got a shitty grade) because she had a stick up her ass about teaching an elite class.

The lit test specifically, I think I got a 2. At the time, I didn't take school seriously and was only taking the classes to avoid getting stabbed. The attitude applied to the tests, too; I think I skipped one or two of the major essays because I didn't feel like doing them. If I tried, I probably could have gotten a decent score.

To be honest, a running start program is probably more useful in the long run, since you get actual college credits, instead of hoping you'll do well on a test and whatever school you get into will give you credit for it. Running start is easier and you get an associate's out of the way before graduating high school. When I finally got around to going to college, people I met who chose running start over AP were usually better off. That being said, it doesn't provide the same kind of advanced atmosphere, since you're taking low-level gen-ed classes at community colleges.

fuck off underage

anyways it was easy and I got a 5, just like every other AP test.

i went to school in england for a while and got good grades because your entire grade was determined by an end of year exam that didnt account for how much work you did or how much you fucked around in class. When i moved back to america I just didn't do any of the classwork and had a sub 3.0 gpa even though I knew the material :^)

truly the greatest country on earth.

Yeah I have a great story about this. I was taking a freshman English course at the uni I transferred to, and I was gonna visit the prof to get some info on my essay (hilarious guy such a wreck usually cancelled classes and showed up sweaty and admitted he was running on red bulls. Also Irish.). The girl in line in front of me went in his office and what I overheard was her saying "but this is how they taught me to write essays in AP English--" and him cutting her off to say "You need to forget EVERY thing they taught you in high school about essay writing. It's not gonna work in college."

She came out of the office and was fucking mortified.

I got a 5 but I hated the teacher. 4 years later and I probably would've really enjoyed being in that class

No. I wanted to be put into AP literature (and history) but because I didn't do my homework (unless it was reading) was told no. This is despite doing extremely well in both subjects but especially literature.

I dropped out of high school and just got my GED because of that kind of bullshit. It was a better idea and allowed me to complete HS two years earlier, basically.

this was actually a funny post tho

I feel you brother. Sold out to STEM though.

I took AP English my senior year. My teacher was based. He had us read God tier poetry, short stories, and we only focused on one novel. He said he only chose one novel to read because this particular novel was so genius that it required an entire semester to give it its proper study. That novel was Moby-Dick.

For poets we read Eliot, Yeats, Frost, Langston Hughes, William Blake, Jon Donne, and Shakespeare.

We read short stories by O'Connor, Hemingway, O. Henry, and Faulkner

That teacher was based

probably contributes to the american work ethic, having to be diligent and punctual to succeed. Europeans got that shit easy. In italy you could probably drop out of high school and still make a decent living sleeping in a shop window while being paid to run it.

What's your name sweetie ? I'm sure we can have a discussion on what I can do to improve my classes. After all you have a Masters in Literature right?

5 and a 4 here...probably shouldn't haven't gotten stoned before the tests but ehhhh turned out fine

Plus convinced my Lit teacher to let us read Gravity's Rainbow for our final...pretty funny watching all the kids spazz the fuck out over how hard it was

Now I do ;)

I did this underused UK system, which was Pre-U. I didn't really take any notes but every essay I did (which was highly infrequent) was damn fine, although some of the selected books were terrible, like North and South, which was Victorian Feminist lit so badly written that Dickens slammed it despite publishing the novel. The course was really good though, Cambridge organize it, and despite my teachers thinking I was a drug addict, I got perfect marks on the coursework and a A** in English and Philosophy. One nice thing about the way it was organised was that it really rewarded independent learning, you'd get all kinds of bizarre essay questions you could never prepare for and you were allowed to choose any thesis for your 4,500 courswork piece spread over four books. I got to take a load of Modafil and discuss the presentation of mortality in The Winding Stair, Slaughter House 5, Faustus and Arcadia, and it was one of the most interesting pieces of work I got to do at school or university.

Unfortunately my shithouse Aussie school only had one OP english class so I missed out on the AP eng experience.

Fuck school I sold bricks

Eurofag here, what are AP literature classes? Extracurricular lessons?

If yes, I took something like that. We have two levels of matura exams at the end of high-school, "regular" and "advanced". I went to a STEM focused school and they refused to prepare me for the advanced literature exam, which meant that I had to take extra lessons, provided by my literature teacher who did it for free.

> If so, did you like it?
The teacher was kinda cute, there weren't any other students to hinder me, and I love literature so it was cool.

Lost like 5 points in total (oral+written combined), including deductions for bad handwriting (as in, it was grammatically correct but wasn't pretty to look at). Got into uni no problem.

>I'm smart enough to have ambitions

:-)

This is why I strayed away from taking the AP class back in HS. I had friends warn me about shit like that beforehand when I considered taking it, so I opted to take a mythology class instead. I probably learned more than I would have in the AP class in the sense that I got a good knowledge of symbols and references to apply to other texts. Glad I avoided it.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but only smart and stupid people have strong ambitions. Most average people just want two cars a wife 1.4 kids a house in a mostly white suburb and a non abusive boss, then spend their weekends watching the NFL and binge watching mediocre Netflix series.

The AP classes were all pretty cool. We had two relating to English: the junior year was a class on rhetoric, and senior year was literature. The subject matter for the first may seem a little dry, but it definitely could be used to make people think about how media can persuade them to change their beliefs. Senior year was pretty funny because many of the smart kids took a film class instead of AP Lit because they wanted an easy class, except the teacher was a bitch that would assign multiple, full-size essays every week. Can't remember all of what we read in AP but we had Beowulf, Jane Eyre, and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Our last book was Special Topics in Calamity Physics, maybe because the class was mostly girls, but I thought it was pretty gay so the teacher gave me The Road instead. Also they say he did drugs and would invite students to his parties after they graduated.

Yes.
He taught subtextual analysis of short stories after 1850, and clearly saw his AP class as the high point of his day. It was thus very enjoyable.
I got a 4

Right here, mah nerra

tfw you took AP Lang and were the only student in the test taking room because they only offered Lit at your school

Tfw you still get a 5... LOL

Guy who just posted getting two 5s, here.

I feel you too, desu. Something is definitely wrong with the AP system.

I got two 5s, but I failed the AP Lit class itself because I never showed up and always jumped the back gate to get high in a van, and got demoted to regular English where our top lit was fuvking Catcher in the Rye. it could be argued that it was no fault of the test or classes themselves, and I was just a dipshit, which is undoubtedly true, but I have my soubts that this is the whole truth because I also took the Biology AP test while understanding fucking none of the course and ditching nearly the whole year of that too, and Bio isnt exaclty lit, it shouldnt be "bullshittable", but despite all that nonsense I still somehow got a passing 3 on the Bio AP exam and never had to take Bio at university.

To give you an idea of how pathetic that is, one of my essay responses was to draw a giant dick on the page for the celluar mitosis question.

In conclusion, if there is a problem with AP, it is probably that you are graded against your peers.

(Which worked in my favor... People who took bio were RETARDED that year...)

The books on the list that you could write about on the FRQs always made me laugh
You expect these idiots to read Joyce and Corncob at 17?

Yeah a 3 is a bad grade and all but considering you drew a dick the rest of the test was probably 4 or 5 material lol

That's actually pretty funny

At my school, English 2 honors was a prerequisite, but I slipped by somehow without taking it. Got a 75% both semesters and a 3 on the AP test. Chellenging, but fun. Great books.

Middle college.

i was in AP for half of high school.
> Freshman year
really fun due to a couple of my friends from middle school, projects, all about mythology which i studied on my own due to the game Age Of Mythology, and we had some entry level Shakespeare and got to see both movie versions and 1960s titties.
> read
Fables
chronology of Greek mythology
Parts of the Iliad
Romeo and Juliet
>Sophomore year
Get placed into AP English due to high test scores in previous year. teacher was very charismatic, immersive and descriptive, he reminded me loosely of a sleep deprived James Franco. Classroom was a pretty social group and class discussions were highly inclusive, didn't feel like much an outcast because most of my ideas/opinions sparked more conversations. Seminars started happening where our desks would be aligned in a circle and wed talk about the progress of the book. I had a cute Japanese girl crush on me but as 15 year olds are, i didn't realize until a couple years after.
>Read
> A Brave New World
>The Stranger
>The Lottery
>Animal Farm
>Inherit The Wind
> To Kill A Mockingbird

>Junior Year
this was the worst class i took, it being AP didn't help. The classroom environment was far more alien than my sophomore class since this year i was pushed even further and put in the course full of kids who have been in gifted/AP classes since 2nd grade so there was a superiority complex. The Pakistani Teacher was awful and catered to the egos of these kids by constantly reminding them that they were "the smartest kids in school so the ACT scores depending on them" and not the regular students. extremely liberal to the point of contradiction such as demonizing white neighborhoods and gentrification all while living in said neighborhood with her white husband, upon issues on gender she would dissolve our arguments since we had "no experience" such as having a child, a job, degrees, ability to drink, be in a marriage, etc. many of the books were modern era garbage and were mainly biographies of notable women already known or female poets or poets of color.
Maya Angelou was read alot, books about Rosa Parks and the civil rights were read alot (during these readings the teacher would victimize the only black student and ask her personally is it was ok to say "nigger" in the read aloud." Most of the class time was also spent learning how to write research papers. I dropped out of it second semester after a majority of my essays and research papers were graded poorly due to "not following the prompt" where i would focus on challenging the views and opinions she would clearly try to place such as the oppression of blacks during the times after reconstruction where i would argue in the rationale of whites just to piss her off. (im lucky im latino or i probably would have been pink slipped for racism)
Ended up next semester with the butch lesbian teacher in the regular english who was very friendly and had a comforting teaching style.

She let me opt out of many in class reading as long as i read my own books and write reports on them, they were mainly Rad Bradbury and H.G. Wells books with a mixture of other sci fi. I did do some in class reading too.
>Read
> The Martian Chronicles
> The Time Machine
> Island of Dr. Moreau
> Fahrenheit 451
>1984
> Catcher in The Rye
> The Great Gatsby
> The Jungle

> Senior Year
this year was full of writing courses, one examining Shakespeare's works and norse mythology such as Beowulf and Othello. another solely on the composition of research papers and finally my favorite was creative writing. I challenged many assignments by thinking outside the box or outlandish ideas such as a time traveller ventures to the near future, sees the world in turmoil due to a dictator toppling world governments with a rebel like army, goes back in time to prevent it, no one believes him, gets frustrated enough to get violent, gets followers, they turn into soldiers and he becomes the man he set out to prevent. the teacher was very free willing and allowed all sorts of creative expression, had many warm up exercises that became highly beneficial in my personal writing. I wish i didn't slack so much in that class

It was decent. I remember getting a 5 and enjoying the final paper far more than the rest of the course--we had to write 10-15pg on a book of our choosing, with her approval. Mine was on Lolita. In retrospect, my analysis wasn't that great, but I suppose that's high school for you. It nonetheless prepped me for uni more than any other class, if only because it forced me to take my papers much more seriously.

We also had French Literature, also known as French VI--used to be AP, but not enough students gave a shit for it to stay that way. The class was tiny (4-5 students) but pretty sweet.

Yes. AP Literature and Composition. My school unfortunately didn't have AP Language and Composition, though talking to other people we read basically the same books Junior year.

It was nice, my teacher was an old, liberal lady who would often go in tangents about history related (and completely unrelated) to the texts we were reading. Worst thing I had to deal with was some kid saying that wealthy people are inherently more immoral than the poor.

I got a 4, pretty embarrassed. I think I screwed myself on the MC questions. Got me credit for an honors course though so it's cool.

>not smart enough to realize he's being sarcastic
must suck having sub 100 iq