Goodreads

is it worth it to have one? i thought about making an account once but then i saw their list of top rated books and got discouraged.

why don't you make up your own mind on whether to do something or not you retard

i dont want to make an account just realize it's not that worth it. i figured maybe i could get somebody's experiences to help inform my decision. what is the problem with that?

How precious is your time that you can't spare the two minutes to click at most five buttons?

i dont really like making accounts unless i know im going to keep them

>is it worth it to have one?
Depends on what you want it for. I find it useful to keep track of things to read and it gives you a good amount of data on your reading if you care about that. It's not that great for recommendations, though, and much of the community and reviews are pretty shit (though I'm friends with some decent people on goodreads I connected with through Veeky Forums).

I think it is. I always create accounts for websites of this nature when I start a new hobby, even if it is in reality no more than an e-dick measuring tool. I think if you accept that and want to see how you have progressed in your hobby you should certainly give it a shot. Its not like you have to use it if you don't like it anyway.

The top rated books have nothing to do with the technology itself and and the people you choose to befriend on it.

You will live a very limited life if you avoid anything that plebs have access to. The fact that those are the top rated books of the moment is simply the reality of the time we live in. It will have no actual effect on your use of the website.

Do you want to catalog all the books you read? If yes, make an account. Ignore the plebby majority and add Veeky Forumsizens as friends instead. The top book list will affect your experience of the site only if you look at it.

I use it to keep track of what I've read and want to read. I pay little attention to the ratings and comments.

>It's not that great for recommendations
If you are into non-fiction it tends to work.

I've read people on here discussing how to get good recommendations.

I think it was something to do with making shelves by country. Adding lots of books to them and rating as best you can. Then you get reccomendations based on those shelves that are apparently not too bad.

I dunno barely read literature. And my shelves are a mess, I have really strange ones, but I found more books to read than I would if I just looked at Amazon's recommendations and by accident.

Found some real gems if you are into (pop)science. Textbooks seem much harder to find however, so I'll rely on asking for those.

Also yes I was in that thread in which someone said to make literature shelves by country.

No, it's social media side is overwhelmed by YA readers and its use as a catalog sucks

t. the LibraryThing user in goodreads posts

High literacy rates were a mistake.

Should I make a site like goodreads but different? I was thinking about making a minimalist site that just let you tracked your reading/to-read list without any of the other social crap.

I would be into it, but I would still want the shelves feature, or some way to sort my books

>Adulthood is a myth
Only to those who didn't actually grow up and reach some moderate level of maturity. Why can't these ever-children just admit it?
>herp derp '''adulting''' is hard

user needs some Witold Gombrowicz.

Nobody uses the social stuff. At least not Veeky Forums people, there are occasional comments and stuff but most people are too busy reading to shitpost.

you can do that on goodreads anyway, i don't see the need

Not joking, a large group would have been better off not being able to read at all. You would be amazed upon finding out how small the vocabulary and how poor the syntax comprehension of many students are. Yet they are expected to grasp fairly complicated ideas and concepts which are simply beyond their capacities. It makes them feel inadiquate(immature) and in a way they are just that. Too many 'workers' end up in a theoretical atmosphere, and thus grows the feeling that 'adulting is hard'. Part of the problem lies in continiously lowering academic standards and then assuming that once these students slipped through the holes they can actually follow along.
Adulthood used to be about taking responsibility and not develping an alcohol problem. Nowadays even the lower middel-class feels it involves a college degree, a strong carreer and finding oneself after having some internal existential conflict which they will never experience.

If you are interested in the community aspect and reviews of it, don't bother. It's infested with SJWshit.
If you want it to keep track of what you read, just grow up and use your brain.

Library Thing is better.

>It's infested with SJWshit
It isn't. The people who write that shit are the people who read YA exclusively. If you have actual good taste in literature you never see anything like that.

How the heck can I "log what I'm reading" like in Goodreads?

You don't see that stuff unless you go looking for it.

Bullshit, just look at their awards for this year. Get your head out of the sand.

Nobody on Veeky Forumsreads takes that shit seriously. It's just something to laugh at once a year and then move on.
>current year
>reading books written in the current year

1. That's not the point I was making
2. Nice digits

Learn to use excel. Or just a word document.

Yes, it is. If you're the kin of person who finds lots of books interesting but can't remember them all, its very useful

"Currently reading" is one of the default collections