/ssrg/ Short Story Reading Group

Discussion thread.

I would consider the coverage of the group to also include essays, short plays, excerpts, and novelettes, but it's up for discussion.

Topics to discuss:
- What collection to use, if any
- Pacing
- Start date
- Discord?

/ssrg/ or /ssbc/ book club or /ssrc/ reading club?

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/0486447162/
amazon.com/dp/0486790215/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Smart user recommended The World's Greatest Short Stories (Dover Thrift Editions) 256 pages amazon.com/dp/0486447162/
$5. It contains:

Bartleby the Scrivener (1853, Melville)
The Necklace (1884, de Maupassant)
The Death of Ivan Ilyich (1886, Tolstoy)
The Man Who Would Be King (1888, Kipling)
The Yellow Wallpaper (1892, C.P. Gilman)
The Fortune-Teller (1896, Machado de Assis)
The Lady with the Toy Dog (1899, Chekhov)
How Old Timofei Died with a Song (1900, Rilke)
The Path to the Cemetery (1901, Mann)
The Prussian Officer (1914, D.H. Lawrence)
Araby (1914, Joyce)
Mrs. Frola and Mr. Ponza, Her Son-in-Law (1917, Pirandello)
The Mark on the Wall (1921, Woolf)
A Hunger Artist (1922, Kafka)
The Garden-Party (1922, Mansfield)
The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket (1924, Kawabata)
A Clean, Well-Lighted Place (1926, Hemingway)
The Sacrifical Egg (1959, Achebe)
A & P (1961, Updike)
Borges and I (1962, Borges)

There is also 100 Great Short Stories for $6 768 pages amazon.com/dp/0486790215/ It has an impressive collection as well.

I am leaning towards the 100 Great one because it's almost 3 times and not much more expensive.

Also of consideration would be other Short Story collections, or a Norton Anthology. Old editions are fairly cheap.

Going by a collection is probably a good idea, we don't have to quarrel about what to read next, and might stumble upon some authors that aren't so well-known on Veeky Forums.

I think 2 stories per week would be nice. Really hope this thing actually gets going.

Definately this, it takes away constant debate about the selection process, its a solid list and it begins with Bartleby which should always be counted on the handful of short stories ever written

I would do 2 short stories a week. There were some worries about parallel discussions, but we can just make a new thread.

Borges and I for instance is literally half a page long, idk how you guys want to spend a whole week discussing it.

When do we start?
I hope my copy arrives on time.

Perhaps we could have one story on wednesday and one on saturday, or something like that. I don't think we have to have a thread going at all times though, if we're done discussing.

Having 2 stories per week would kill it quickly lads. It seems like a good idea because it's a new and exciting thing, but as time passes you'll just lose interest and not want to follow with it anymore

So which book? World's Greatest Short Stories or 100 Great Short Stories?

Anyone? bump.

We tacitly agreed on The World's Greatest Short Stories. I think we'll start this after new years cause many people are busy with family shite rn

sooo, discord?

No.

OP, instead of asking us what we want, you should come up with a plan and go from there. If not, everyone will just wait till someone else decides for them, and if they don't like it they will complain and stop the whole process.

Arrange an schedule and readings. If it's one story at a time, make the thread every 3 days; if it's two, then make it every five days.

agreed

i would do this

i gotta pay? can't i find these stories online?

Why not? The group read throughs are falling apart. A discord would stop this group from suffering the same fate.

Digital versions will be provided as we get underway. Don't worry.

I created this thread but am not OP from the previous thread. I created it to facilitate discussion. Not sure if I should be OP of the group, or if real OP should.

alright so what has been agreed upon so far? as long as we get some poe in our schedule im good to go.

I think the beauty of short stories is that random anons can join the thread. The stories can be read in a few minutes, the link is in the OP and there is no need of having participated the previous weeks. Of course it would be good to have a nucleus of regulars, but I think the OP should make clear that this is a recurrent thread on Veeky Forums and that everybody is welcome to participate.

Well, since you even made the OP picture and the whole thread, you might as well go further and take the real iniciative. I even offer you my help with this. But if we want this to happen we should do it asap instead of wait for a consensus which will probably never come.

I'm considering purchasing a Robert Aickman collection, should I go with Cold Hand in Mine or Wine-Dark Sea

>But if we want this to happen we should do it asap instead of wait for a consensus which will probably never come
Agreed. Can't we just have someone post the first short story in here, and then we'll read it and discuss it either by Thursday the 29th, if we want to do it before New Year's, or Wednesday the 4th if you wanna wait 'till after.
Not mentioning Sunday because it's the 1st, and I imagine a lot of anons will either be with family, or just hungover.

OP are you lurking? i would like to help and become part of the core regulars if you plan to have this thread continue as a staple to Veeky Forums threads, but i need to know that you will also contribute with other anons. We should start by having one story read by Wednesday and we can also have some short answer questions and share our answers if you guys want, no mandatory but could add to the discussion.
Start with a story and ill choose the next and we can continue with suggestions as they come. but we need one today.

FIRST THREAD
FIRST THREAD
FIRST THREAD