Self-help books

is there any worthy self-help book? are all them a scam and just tell you once and again "trust yourself", "you can do anything" and that kind of bullshit? or do they give some helpful advice?

can't contribute with nothing because I didn't read any of this.

Other urls found in this thread:

betterhumans.coach.me/this-is-how-to-find-your-purpose-24a7d069b40b#.4g02528sn
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Read it. Also How to Win Friends and Influence People, but you can't just read it and put it down, you have to actually apply the principles until they become habit.

is this legit advice or just memeing

Just my opinion. Also I found listening to HTWFAIP on audiobook to be much more bearable than reading since the whole book is just him launching into somewhat dated business-type anecdotes but are still applicable to today

I'll give'em a chance. My opinion is that these kind of books are useless most of them, maybe one or two can give good advice, but the rest will be cheap psychology.
I heard about Meditations of Marcus Aurelius to be quite good too

No.

>self-help books
fuck I hate these so much. mostly because of their metaphysical implications.

Daniel Kahneman - Thinking slow and fast is a high quality book, might be considered self help.

It's a good book, maybe too much book to explain too litle, but it's ok.

Please elaborate.

Once you read enough self-help books, you will see themes and ideas repeat themselves. And in the same way beauty magazines make you feel ugly, self-help books will make you feel broken.

You will get more out of a philosophy book such as "Letters from a Stoic" than you will from twenty different self-help books. Read those instead.

>Please elaborate
So, like, people are so predictable and shallow that they can be easily 'won' and 'influenced' ? Is this something one would want to do, and hence, live in that type of world? what if everyone read these books? would they be self-defeating? would we all be on guard for being so easily manipulated for sombody else's ends? would relationships be genuine at all? yada yada yada you can fill in the rest of the implications

I found: "A Guide to Rational Living" good, especially the later chapters where he basically says to take action and stop whining.

The book is obviously about thinking more rationally, knowing when you are being too pessimistic and applying self-defeating attitudes and emotions to yourself and how to break from it.

It's good but absurdly long for what it gives.

aCURDING to weekeepeedeea how 2 w1n fremdz nd influencE ppl is sued by charlie mamon to Trick IiI grills to ki11 knegrows,

I read that book as a guide in defending myself against "influences" (both planned influences and unplanned situations where data suggests the wrong interpretation to my biased human mind - which could still bring damage to myself and others).

For example there is an experiment that proves how, when deciding/guessing something, we will unconsciously take as a reference other data in our immediate proximity or context, even if consciously we know that it has nothing to do with the thing we are trying to decide.

Thus, maybe I would like to buy one of the discounted items, but after reading "maximum 6 pieces a client" my deciding process uses that 6 as a reference and I end up buying 2 or 3.

>Chimp Paradox
>Thinking Fast and Slow
>48 Laws of Power
>Book of Pook
>HtWFaIP

>HtWFaIP
How can this book be useful? is from 1936 or so, it should be outdated.

It's basically the Laws of Power for moralfags

I like Willpower Instict by Kelly Mcgonigal. It's pretty good and gives each chapter an exercise to try out to gain some willpower.

It also taught me that willpower is like a manabar that gets drained when used and replenishes over time.

>It also taught me that willpower is like a manabar that gets drained when used and replenishes over time.

Bad news for you m8. I don't know whether you ever heard of so called "replication crisis" in last years. The thing that you are mentioning was a common belief due to some statistically manipulated papers. This thesis was one of the first ones that couldn't be replicated later on by any researchers.

Do you have some source to back that up?I've never heard of the replication crisis.

The art of war was the first and last good self help book

what about this?

here is a freebie
GET OFF THE FUCKINNG 4CHINZ

He's talking about the inability to replicate experiments and get the same results. It's mostly hit psychology and neurology but also some biology and biochemistry studies.

betterhumans.coach.me/this-is-how-to-find-your-purpose-24a7d069b40b#.4g02528sn

This is a letter by Hunter S. Thompson to a friend of his about not being a bitch.
I've been reading self-help for years. One thing I finally figured out is that self-help itself gives you motivation because it helps you visualize not being a bitch. I'd check out the author's articles(charles chu). He used to literally be one of us, played League of Legends and Sona was his waifu(he wrote about it) now he knows like seven languages and is living in some bohemian city in thailand.
He's good at pulling out wisdom from great writers into simple format. I can't be fucked to read much anymore, so I like his stuff.
I've also studied psychology and from that I figured that the main way to get yourself to do anything is physical movement. I learned this from a business guru that does speaking events for big business, Kevin Hogan. He has this cd 'conversational hypnosis' that is all about telling stories. Probably never would have started writing if it wasn't for him.
Everyday I moved myself to my journal in a nearby room and wrote. That's how I finished 3 books so far.

I know. I just wanted him to back up if the willpower experiments described in Willpower Instict were part of the replication crisis.

Had to google for a good 10-15 minutes to find a study that said that the experiments in the book were part in the 'replication crisis'.

>being this pleb

you'll never write anything good.

go away kant

You've just got to take absolutely everything as suspect atm friendo. It really is was and will continue to be that bad in most psychology studies. It's not so bad in bio bit many subfields have decade or two long black holes where nothing can be trusted.

>self-help
>>>/cargocult/

>tfw Kant's base assumptions are true, but his systems just don't solve the resulting problems

feels bad man

OP here, I put together all the books sugested in this thread for further threads like this and discussion about wich ones are a meme and wich ones are good.

Stephen R. Covey - The 7 habits of highly effective people
Dale Carnegie - How to Win Friends and Influence People.
Daniel Kahneman - thinking fast, thinking slow
Albert Ellis - A Guide to Rational Living
Steve Peter - The chimp paradox
Robert Greene - 48 laws of power
¿? - Book of Pook
Kelly McGonigal - Willpower instinct
Sun Tzu - Art of war
Marcus Aurelius - MEditations
Aaron Clarey - Bachelor pad economics
Harriet B Braiker - The disease to please
¿? - Kybalion
Jeff Olson - The slight edge
Dan Millman - Way of the peaceful warrior
Osho - Creativity: unleashing the forces within.
Austin Kleon - Steal like an artist
Eckhart tolle - A new earth
Napoleon Hill - The Think and Grow Rich Workbook: The Practical Steps to Transforming Your Desires into Riches
Brian Tracy - No excuses!
Seth Godin - Linchpin: are you indispensable?
Tony Robbins - Awaken the giant within
Jim Paul and Brendan Moynihan - What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars
Alain de Botton - Status anxiety
Eva Pierrakos - The pathwork of self-transformation
Ryan holyday - Ego is the enemy
Eckhart Tolle - The power of now
David R. Hawkins - Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender
Eckhart Tolle - Stillness speaks
Ayn Rand - Atlas shrugged
Gary Keller and Jay Papasan - The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
George Burr Leonard - MAstery: the keys to success and long-term fulfillment.
Julia Ross - The mood cure: The 4-step program to take charge of your emotions.
Brad Blanton - Redical Honesty
Robin Baked - Sperm wars
Ayn Rand - The fountainhead
Michael Ellsberg - The education of millonaries
Steve PAvlina - Personal development for smart people
Seneca - On the shortness of life.
David Deida - The way of superior man

Honestly, most of them sound kinda bullshit, I'll give'm a try anyway

I don't know what meme is this and I don't understand your post

Tried to read the slight edge but couldn't get into it. Probably was because it was the first book I started reading in years and I printed it fully from a PDF.

Anyway screencapped your post mate

>would we all be on guard for being so easily manipulated for sombody else's ends

This is literally what a market society is about

How to Win Friends is fucking garbage unless you're absolutely the most deeply autistic human being alive. It's an 80 year old relic of an age of emotional retardation and universal rudeness.