The greatest cinematic adaptation of Shakespeare? inb4 gook shit, Kurosawa is not quite second-rate

The greatest cinematic adaptation of Shakespeare? inb4 gook shit, Kurosawa is not quite second-rate

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kenneth branagh's hamlet

>literally no one better for the role of Falstaff than Orson "Started from the top and made his way down" Welles
>Best, most immaculate staging for Act II, Scene IV
>Battle. Of. Shrewsbury

Chimes at Midnight, desu

yeah i liked orson doing falstaff, good choice

Also a big fan of Branagh's Hamlet. Seems to be the only one that realized it was just another adaptation and for that reason he really runs with it. I especially like the choice of actors for play-within-a-play. Heston as Priam? Very subtle cinematic version of wall-breaking, casting as heightened state of disbelief indeed

OP likes anything with anus in it, amirite?

Branagh was too old to play Hamlet

cringey

style was like W.S. Anderson's Resident Evil movies. from the very opening "Who's there" being interpreted as an I N T E N S E ACTION MOVIE TACKLE AND DAGGER PULL i was disengaged

reeked of self importance and ignorance. high art for the bourgeois philistine

ok but whats better

This
Welles was born to play Falstaff

Oh most certainly with Hamlet being some confluence of 18 and 30. But he had played him before and thus had 'caught' him while he was still of age and it shows. He does play him as a young man, even if the skin has degraded.

A shame about the mustache though

i mean i'll give you that stuff, it was an attempt to make it more exciting and digestible, but i look past it because its overall its great.

Was pretty good but I'm biased. Fiennes and Coriolanus the play are based. But Chick-shakespeare like Taymor or some other shlock is probably considered the best.

And absolutely RUINING the whole thing with that horrid whispery King Hamlet. Was Branagh afraid of being outstaged? shit

Her Titus is bretty gud, but never do I feel more ridiculously alt-right/patriarchal when hating on the totally unnecessary casting of Mirren (Queen that she is) as 'Prospera'

Best version of The Tempest is still 'Prospero's Books'

Ralph was real great in that one

>The greatest cinematic adaptation of Shakespeare?

lol. not even close.

the '71 adaptation of 'king lear' by peter brook is the greatest adaptation by far.

watch paul scofield play king lear if you want to see something really special.

I didn't just dislike that production, I hated it!

how dare you, sir.

post a picture of yourself so i can show my wife's son what evil truly looks like.

its ralph fiennes' coriolanus

The Lion King. Any other answer is objectively wrong

>No Kurosawa
kek

You're missing out on some of the greatest films of all time.

Throne of Blood (Macbeth) is second only to Ran (King Lear) in my book. The Bad Sleep Well (Hamlet) ain't bad either.

Some of the Russian adaptations are pretty good though.

> let me enjoy my shakespeare in japanese

"ching chong, ching chong, where art thou ching chong?"

Throne of Blood was a favorite of TS Eliot.

and eliot would have LOVED fiennes' coriolanus

wow way to be an utter fucking pleb

Haven't seen many adaptations, but I loved the intensity and brutality of Polanski's Macbeth. The new adaptation is pretty meh, on the other hand. Too much ambient shit in a supposedly tight and violent play, it ends up feeling bloodless and boring (even though it's an hour shorter than Polanski).

it's wherefore you fucking idiot, it's a different word

Peter Brook's Lear if no one's said it yet. Branagh is honestly a boring hack of an actor even if his direction and starring of the films is very impressive. Rylance blows him out of the water on stage and screen.

>>>/pol

She's not asking where he is you degenerate. Like said it is 'wherefore' which more or less means 'why'. The whole speech concerns her lamenting that he is a Montague and not of another family. That you would top off this ignorance with witless casual racism is so plebeian it hurt

How has no one mentioned this?

This doesn't even begin to warrant a discussion.

youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

Olivier's version used to be a favorite of Kubrick until he saw Branagh's, which he saw as a vast improvement

Great movie. Underrated.

Mel Gibson's Hamlet

The problem for me is that Shakespeare is so immense in his genius I almost always have problems–often major ones–with stagings of his play because the stage/film director fails at understanding some nuance (or sometimes a major theme) of the play. Because of this my favourite adaptation would be your inb4'ed Kurosawa with his film Ran. Because it isn't actually Shakespeare I'm not distracted by the things I usually don't like about such plays/films.

I think just because it was a full production gives it a serious case for being the best Hamlet adaptation. I find when you watch an abridged version they have all the material required for a coherent story but that it always butchers Shakespeare's telos for what the play is actually aiming to do.

That being said I do enjoy this version anyway. It does one thing right that I always hated about Gibson's version. Gibson tries to make Hamlet as natural as possible which ruins it. The whole point of the play is Hamlet consciously imitating the actor so he overcome his epistemological nihilism to kill Claudius. He is meant to be a theatrical character. To play him naturally is to misunderstand the purpose of the play. Branagh's Hamlet does this perfectly.

If your answer is anything but Chimes at Midnight you don't know shit about neither Shakespeare nor film.

This describes every Branagh adaptation. Even Much Ado About Nothing.

The setting and stylization is fabulous. Wretched acting all-around, though.

dude the lion kinfg lmao

Sons of Anarchy :^)

Fassbender/Cotillard Macbeth