Lao gan ma

What are some good recipes that use this sauce?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roujiamo
haodou.com/recipe/452425/
haodou.com/recipe/253163/
haodou.com/recipe/299182/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

LOGAN MOM

I just put it on rice and pan seared tofu. Making my mouth water just thinking about it, haven't had it in a long time. No idea what recipes would use it. Most of the Chinese dishes I make use a doubanjang(fermented chili/beans) or the like as a base rather than the flakes in oil

I got this form a chink place near me last week. It's like a soup but it's just fucking chili oil and beef.

>yes, my asshole burned

White rice + soy sauce + lao gan ma + furikake
Turns white rice into something transcendent

I live in China, basically every household has some 老干妈 on the table. It's almost universally used as a condiment on a cooked dish rather than an ingredient and we use it on anything that doesn't have chilli already.

One dish where I guess it's more essential than optional is Youmian, a kind of oat-flour noodle dish eaten in the north (there's another youmian which is eaten in the south which is completely different).

You take oat flour, mix with cold water into a dough and press it into noodles or roll it into a tubes, then steam them.

You do a bunch of side dishes like stir-fried egg and tomato, some pork&garlic shoots, shredded cucumber, chopped coriander and spring onion, stuff like that. And lao gan ma of course.

The noodles stick together in cooking so you take a bowlful of them and break them up with your hands, then serve a bit of all of the side dishes and a splash of black vinegar and as much lao gan ma as you like, mix it all up om your bowl and eat it.

It's quite good and very healthy, very little oil or sugar in the dish and not a lot of salt.

This looks really interesting, is there a specific recipe you'd recommend for the noodles?

Always go to this jap store (even though it's all sorts of asians shit i call it the jap store) and they have so many good looking sauces.
What is the spiciest thing I can buy, jarred wise? Looking for a condiment to put on everything.

Mom sauce!!! I didn't know what it was called. I add it to my ma po tofu.

Wow interesting, I've never heard of this, keep posting China user.

You should host your own thread senpai.

I add it to the pan with oil and garlic any time I'm frying up chicken or beef.

That looks awesome, I wish I lived near non-cuck Chinese food that doesn't make "spicy" dishes with generic curry powder

It's useful for stir frying. Personally I like the one that's smaller and doesn't contain nuts. If the threads still up in 8 hours I'll take a picture to show.

You can make gong bao ji ding with this one. some people like to add it to soy sauce for dumplings and their hot pot dipping sauces. Personally, I don't think it goes well with soups because the chilli oil is very irritating to the throat.

>You should host your own thread senpai.
I will some time, not right now. Expect to see a thread on Saturday or something though, my bike is in the shop so I'll be home not doing much. I used to lurk here a lot but when I moved to China, I started lurking /trv/ much more.

>Mom sauce
It's something like grandmother sauce. Lao Ma is grandma, the 'gan' makes it something like a grandmother version of godmother or foster mother. Adoptive Grandmother? Something like that.

>I've never heard of this
It's Inner Mongolia cuisine, it's only just been recognised as its own cuisine by the government this year. There's quite a lot of difference to southern, central and western cuisines. Lots of lamb, almost no pork or chicken.

>gong bao ji
AKA Kung Pao Chicken.
It's not supposed to be in that, that uses dried chilli in the wok.
People do put some in a bowl and add vinegar though, to make dipping sauces for things.

Chilli oil dumpling soup is a thing but that uses chilli infused soybean oil which is different.

>This looks really interesting, is there a specific recipe you'd recommend for the noodles?
I just asked my wife, she says it's only 1:1 flour and boiling water plus a little extra water if you want them softer, no other ingredients. You work it into a dough, leave it for a while to allow gluten chains to form, then make the noodles. The noodles are pressed using pic related, or by kind of smearing a dab over your thumb like the Gnocchi that Vincent makes in Godfather III. Those shapes are called Cat's Ears in Chinese. Sometimes we roll it into little finger/fish shapes too that are called little fish.

The real point is that you have to use Oat Flour.

Wikipedia says:
>In China, particularly in western Inner Mongolia and Shanxi province, oat (Avena nuda) flour is called youmian (莜面), and is processed into noodles or thin-walled rolls, which are consumed as staple food.
Sounds about right to me.

>mix with cold water
I've been corrected, that's completely wrong, the water should be boiling.

>oat flour
>gluten
What

I put in in my indo mie noodle soup it always makes it delicious

>>oat flour
>>gluten
>What
Well I don't know, whatever makes it into dough. Something makes the noodles stay together.

Probably just starch. The boiling water would help to activate that while cold water wouldn't do the same thing.

>It's not supposed to be in that
if whitey bought the sauce and has no wok he can make a shitty Kung Pao chicken with it and impress his wife's son. Peanuts=Kung pao

Wow, a semi-useful thread in Veeky Forums.

Novel.

Oh Google, what would we do without you.

Can you please keep talking, I have all the standard chinese condiments in my fridge and this oat noodle is something I've never even heard of, do you know a recipe for the pan fried flat buns that you stuff with that super soft fatty pork chopped up inside? I'm also totally gonna make those oatmeal noodles.

>Can you please keep talking, I have all the standard chinese condiments in my fridge and this oat noodle is something I've never even heard of

Neither did I, but he posted radicals and images, which is plenty.

What sire is that user?

i buy off brand la jiao jiang and put the fuckin shit on sandwiches

hot damn

>Can you please keep talking
I'm here.

>the pan fried flat buns that you stuff with that super soft fatty pork chopped up inside
That's rou jia mo (肉夹馍) AKA Chinese hamburger. I prefer the muslim ones with beef seasoned in chilli and cummin. The real secret is in the meat which is stewed all day in a heavily spiced soup until the customer orders some. There are also vegetarian ones which use various forms of tofu (also stewed) which are ok.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roujiamo

I'll ask my wife for a recipe for the bun, she refuses to even read recipes and just makes things by feel but I'm sure she can give me some directions. Off the top of my head, I'd say it's a soda bread. Most bings (flat breads) are some sort of soda bread and usually made with strong flour.

This looks pretty accurate to me. The only thing I'd add is that I've never had it with just one side dish, there's always been several, some hot and some cold and you mix them all together in your bowl.
>i buy off brand la jiao jiang
There's no official brand of chilli sauce, which is all la jiao jiang means.

is that spicy minced dissident sauce?

For the bread, we usually use something called a dian bing chang, pic related. Sometimes we just fry bing like pancakes though, I think these ones are done in the crepe maker though, it's double-sided so does thick things better.

Wikipedia says:
>An authentic mo is made from a wheat flour batter and then baked in a clay or mud oven, but now in many parts of China, mo is made in a frying pan or a pressure cooker (some even substitute a steamed bun), and the resulting taste diverges significantly from the authentic clay oven-baked version

>What sire is that user?
I'm assuming you're not asking him if he's his mother's husbands son.

What site?

I think user just googled the characters from when I quoted wikipedia and got this:
haodou.com/recipe/452425/

That looks like a Chinese recipe site. I just put in the url from the watermark and searched on the site for 莜面.

There's also this, which is what we generally do. We only make the tubes/cats ears with the left over because they're much more work.
haodou.com/recipe/253163/

For the Roujiamo/肉夹馍, I think the bread is both steamed and fried in the electric crepe maker, fried first maybe. We've had them once or twice but don't usually home make the bread.

>You do a bunch of side dishes like stir-fried egg and tomato, some pork&garlic shoots, shredded cucumber, chopped coriander and spring onion, stuff like that. And lao gan ma of course.
The other side dish which is always there is garlic mashed potato.

Just boiled potato (peeled) roughly mashed with a spoon with sesame oil and chopped garlic.

莜面 is often eaten with cloves of raw garlic too, you take a bite of the garlic and chase it with the noodles or whatever. You eat raw garlic with a lot of foods up here.

>do you know a recipe for the pan fried flat buns that you stuff
Ok, I talked to my wife and got a recipe but it's not so easy to make at home. She says that the ones she's made in the past were not quite authentic because she can't bake them right at home.

It's a dough with strong or plain white flour, warm water, yeast and salt. She says that you need to add Sodium Carbonate (E500, Na2CO3 similar but different to Sodium Bicarbonate) after the dough is made and knead it into the dough. This changes the flavour and helps it rise evenly.

The bing are baked in an oven that is very low so that they press against the top and don't rise very far, this makes them fairly dense and flat instead of round like hamburger buns. This is the part that is hard to do at home but maybe you could do something with a pair of pizza stones and something to hold them apart? Pie weights or tiles might work to hold the top stone up.

The proper name for these breads is 白焙子 which means White Baked (thing) though that's maybe a local name for them. There's a not-white version which is the same shape but otherwise completely different.

that looks repugnant
garbage for peopel who have ruined their palate

I'm trying dammit but my New Thread posts just seem to disappear and nothing shows up in the catalog. I think new threads talk to a different server than regular posts and maybe that server is down.

>the pan fried flat buns that you stuff with that super soft fatty pork chopped up inside
haodou.com/recipe/299182/
Here's a recipe too, put it through google (blocked here, can't help you). Looks like it uses a household dian bing chang and they just flip it.

Is this that weird shit with the dried chicken pieces in?

*rodent

Posting in the best thread on Veeky Forums

Whose country blocks google?
Do you have netnanny installed?

>he doesn't know

>Whose country blocks google?
Who do you think?
I'm

My OP was over the character limit but it doesn't tell you on an OP post, it just fails. Worked it out eventually.

The new thread is up here:

Is that fried onion?I put it in fried noodles.

Internet in China is hell mode.