Language learning

How would you go about learning a new language? Im a native Spanish speaker and only know English. I would like to exploit the romance roots of Spanish to learn French, or Portuguese.

So, what would be your way of choice? Points off for sending me to classes, which is barely possible and I dont feel like doing it after 6 years in college. Senks.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk
foreignlanguageexpertise.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk

Contains language learning pdfs with almost all languages on earth

fact. spanish people can't speak foreign languages. Heard a spanish guy speak german two weeks ago I still have nightmares

Achtung Señor, you drop something!!

It goes both ways familia

Learn grammar, then learn words. In that order.

You mean except for English right? Cause every person on earth can speak English, and most people speak better than Americans, desu desu

Where's good ol' French amd good ol' Italiano? Cant be bothered to learn all those insignificant dialects if I dont know how to speak Francés.

It's in the indo-European section inside the Italics folder

They speak English with Chinese accent

>I would like to exploit the romance roots of Spanish to learn French, or Portuguese.

Which should be a joke to you. You share something like 80% of vocabulary with both those languages.

user, no conozco a nadie que hable un idioma competentemente y no haya dado clases o haya vivido en el país en cuestión.
Puedes aprender la gramática por tu cuenta y ir añadiendo léxico, pero te estarás limitando mucho.

El portugués es probablemente la lengua más fácil de aprender para castellanoparlantes, junto con el catalán. Aún así, escoge en función del idioma y la cultura que más te interesen. Aprender un idioma es mucho trabajo, y conlleva varios años de práctica constante. Si no estás realmente motivado es muy posible que lo dejes a medias

Tio, por que cojones vas a aprender idiomas tan inutiles como el frances y el portugues?
Aprovecha y termina de perfeccionar tu ingles y luego pasa al ruso, aleman, chino, japones, arabe o algun idioma baltico.

>aprende algún idioma útil como el japonés o algun idioma báltico

Yo que tu escucharía a este user, parece que sabe de lo que habla

Es el idioma del amor!

>spanish sounds cool
>but spanish literature is garbage save for Borges
>french literature is great
>but french sounds like absolute shit

Francais est bete :D

Hablo para españoles no para sudacas.

>spanish literature is garbage
>frogposter
Not even surprised

and better than Australians, especially

French is best?

>Ma bite !
(It is) my bite??

Portuguese speaker here, go portuguese first, since its probably the closest one, then move to italian, then french.

Anglos are so fucking insular they say shit like that and hail Shakespeare as the only writer that ever lived but I doubt you've even read basic stuff like Villon, Rabelais, Cervantes or Calderon de la Barca.

I think he's trying to say bête which means silly

learn Romanian

>buy a grammar
>read it and learn how the syntax works
>buy a dictionary
>read it and learn vocabulary
>read texts

t. Someone who has never learned a language

If they never learned a language then how are they communicating with you?

memes

Aprende alemán y ruso. Chino o japonés también son buenas opciones.

I'm fluent in English, German, French, Russian, Latin, Polish, Arabic, and Serbo-Croatian.
In which would you like to further communicate?

As a non-native english speaker, I see what you're trying to say. I learned english mostly by passive absorption, by watching films, playing vidya, browsing the internet, basically like babies do (except I was in my teens). However, it's a long and inefficient approach unless you have 5-6 years to spare, systematic study of lingustic structure gets the job done faster, and reading is THE fastest way to acclimatize yourself with a foreign tongue bar actually living within natives communities

Here's probably the best technique I've found:
0. English shall take the place of whatever your primary language is in this method.
1. Get a book which has an english version (alternatively, get an english book in your target language)
3. Extract all unique words in the text and count their frequency, order the unique words by frequency; assign a cardinal number to each word denoting its frequency (1 being most frequent)
2. Extract all individual sentences from the text and the corresponding translated sentence from the primary text.
3. Calculate the "frequency value" of each sentence by summing the frequency value of each word in the sentence (which you got in step 2), order sentence pairs by frequency value
4. Save the deck as csv and load into anki (or any other spaced repetition software)
4a. If you want to train listening as well, run each sentence through a text-to-speech program of the target language, google translate works pretty well but there are better ones out there made for specific languages
4b. You can also make the flashcards double-sided to train production (speaking/writing) after you've learned to read
4c. You can use this method on any body of text, including foreign language subtitles. It's best to get stuff which already has an english counterpart, if not, running it through google translate works fairly well these days.
4d. If you're particularly lazy there are couple of such decks on the anki repository with ~10000 ordered sentences in 3-4 languages

With this method, the key is to patiently grind away at it. At the end of it though, you'll be able to read your text with complete fluency and be astonished at the amount of grammar you've intuitively picked up. Things will stat "sounding right" and "sounding wrong". It takes some time (~1-2 years of daily 30 minutes of work) to get through, say, a 20k card deck (10k front and back) but at that point you'll have very strong command of the language.

Learning portuguese as a castillian speaker, or vice versa, is cheating tbqh

I'd learn mandarin. If not, russian

Shit son that's actually impressive, I'm only on my 4th myself. My apologies.

Reading this thread has made me realize that there are a lot of approaches to learning a language and I don't think many of them suit my learning style. Immersion seems to be the only one that works for anyone

No tengo que perfeccionar ingles. Leo y hablo a la perfeccion ameo. Leo autores en ingles, y quiero poder hacer lo mismo con otros idiomas. No es para laburar, es para leer.

I have no accent marks babe.

And how would you go about doing this? Buy books in said languages? And learn basic grammar from internet? I could do that, Im just skeptical in terms of it working/being an efficient way, you dig me?

Don't learn grammar from the internet, it's a very inefficient way to do it. Get a good grammar book and work your way through it. By the time you finish you are at a point that the internet will be useful for grammar. Now that you have all your grammar notes it's time to do a metric fuck-ton of flashcards combined with attempting to read simple stories aimed at 8-10 year olds. If you aren't a lazy wuss you can learn over 100 words a week from flash cards. Reading the stuff for children is to make sure your knowledge of grammar is actually etched into you and not just notes on paper.
Voila, six months of this (say you are doing a language that isn't too difficult for grammar and it takes one month to learn) and you know 2000 words. You went from not knowing a language to being past the hump. It's easy from here on out.

Thanks

>Cervantes
>Basic
imma stop you right there

I think he meant basic as in "essential"

français*

Speak your native tongue, cuck. Drop this globalist shit.

>being cultured and learning languages is part of a globalist agenda
>cuckposter

You need to go back

DIE GLOBALIST SCUM

This is bullshit

foreignlanguageexpertise.com/

These are from like 1946 wtf

once someone has learnt 4+ languages this really is the most efficient way to learn further languages, and indeed is how polyglots learn.

i would wonder whether this works for someone trying to learn their first non-native language - especially for a monolingual.

furthermore, this might work well if you wish only to read the language; conversation requires far more immersion than you're pretending

Anyone know any good tools to quickly learn the cyrillic alphabet?

rabelais is french, i know that cause he is my god, i am writing postmodern novel based on his output

A class or tutoring ideally, still I took two years of German and still didn't really understand the concept of grammar, it took studying on my own for it to finally click. If I were wealthy I'd just use a tutor or better yet travel to the country. Really any amount of time regularly, as in daily, spent on learning a language in some form should see some sort of results

Flashcards, an alphabet is the easiest thing to simply memorize.

Nigga cyrillic is simple, you anglos do not realise how convoluted the english alphabet seems to the rest of us
Russian cyrillic goes as
a - same as english a
б - same as english b
в - same as english v
г - same as english g
д - same as english d
e - sharps english e as in wexler
ё - nobody uses it
ж - ZH sound, as in Jane which reads as dZHein
з - same as english z
и - same as english i/e, as in meek, or bit
й - harder stressed и
к - same as english k
л - same as english l
м - same as english m
н - same as english n
o - same as english o
п - same as english p
p - same as english r, but trilled
c - same as english s
т - same as english t
y - same as english oo, as in book
ф - same as english f or ph
х - same as english h
ц - sharp C as it is pronounced in Cicada or Cisgender
ш - same as english sh
щ - softer version of ш
ъ - hard stop mark, not sure how to explain, basically it acts like a divider, the word oбъявлeниe will read as oбSTOPявлeниe, instead of flowing naturally from consonant to vowel.
ы - doesn't have a direct counterpart in english
ь - soft mark, makes a consonant that precedes it sound softer
э - soft english e, as in Bella, or welcome
ю - same as english u/ju, as in United, or Jung
я - same as english ya, as in okiyama

This is good enough if you are content with having an accent, since russian has almost no homophones. If you wish to speak like a native, you need to learn some pronounciation rules. Every letter in russian can be pronounced in two different ways depending on accent and letters that surround it. For example, И is always spoken as Ы if it's preceded by the letter Ж, as so on

ese idioma conurbano si se puede ver

>he fell for the mandarin meme.

It's just a perverted greek alphabet--really easy once you know that

Anyone know of any good French conjugation practice sites? Like ones where they give you a verb and tell you to conjugate it for a specific tense, number, and person and check it. Also, if you have one where you have to do something similar for nouns and adjectives that would be nice since there are a lot of nouns/adjectives with irregular feminine and plural forms that I need to drill into my head. I would prefer a website where you type in the answer over practicing by hand but I guess beggars can't be choosers

Thank you, Im a lil bit closer to speaking francés now.

Grasia ameo por darte cuenta me alegramo mucho

>Im a native Spanish speaker and only know English.
CHI

¿Por qué me odias tanto? :(

>not basic
Well, it's like that over here.
Thanks.

>Nigga cyrillic is simple
>Every letter in russian can be pronounced in two different ways depending on accent and letters that surround it. For example, И is always spoken as Ы if it's preceded by the letter Ж, as so on

>Spanish literature
>Garbage
Top kek

"Basic" as in "fundamental", not as in "white girl rappers", you fucking dolt.

So is Villon. See what I'm talking about?

Well, yes, compared to english, where every letter can be pronounced in 959046762907629 different ways, and there are tons of homophones and diphthongs to mind

>spanish
>italian
Compel me to study either

I would highly suggest you learn how to pronounce things properly in whatever language you're learning before you start learning to read/grammar etc.

Learn the script, diphthongs, etc. Makes things a lot easier.

And they still work, user. Ask /int;/ about learning a language, they will point you in the same direction.

write a paragraph in english spelled phonetically in cyrillic, after about a page you wont need to look up the letters anymore