Stephen King's The Stand

I've been reading this over the past month or so (i'm a teacher so I usually read as the students are doing their exams) and I'm about halfway in.

A part of me is losing interest in the story, I feel like the most exciting parts have already happened (the superflu pandemic) and now it's just the characters slowly discovering eachother across the USA.

Does the book get better? I know it's a silly question to ask but King always has this case of writing slow books which have quite climactic endings. The Stand, however, feels like the he wrote a story from a very exciting beginning and now it's going to turn stale.

The Stand has a notoriously shitty ending. I read it years ago and remember absolutely nothing

The book does not get better.

You'll come to despise all of the characters and their holier-than-thou attitudes. Harold Lauder (I think that's his name), who's supposed to be somewhat of a villain, will be the only character you'll like because he genuinely despises the rest of the characters as much as you do.

Stu and Nick seem to be the only real likeable characters at the moment. Larry was good until he got stuck with the boy who's acts like he's from a tribe.

I'm partially reading The Stand due to Randall Flagg being in it. I'm planning on moving onto the Dark Tower saga after this

King himself admits he completely fucking lost it a bit over halfway through. That said I enjoyed it up until the last fifty pages. The end is fucking abysmal, as always from King.

The last chapter with Harold in the book is probably one of the best pieces of writing he's ever produced imho,that and the chapter showing the random people dying due to incompetence and chance

Dark Tower great not a great ending though as is typical of King. It has grown on me since but I remember but really angry with the ending. Can't wait to see them fuck up all that we good about for the film

The Stand is kino is book form

>tfw the only book you've read by King is 11/22/63
>disliked it
>has high ratings on amazon and goodreads
am i to intelligent for stephen king?

well why did you dislike it?

I stopped reading about where you are OP

>am i to intelligent for stephen king?

not really an achievement desu fampai

I remember it being cool and comfy as fuck until there is that black woman and religious stuff... after that its boring.

No, you're too dumb for him.

It's very disappointing

sup reddit

The film is a sequel

as well as overlong

All I know is that stephen king has no fucking idea how a recoiless rifle works

It's about a plague of POO

Randall Flagg is an amazing villain.

King is good at writing characters with major insecurities(Larry, Harold, trashcan man).

Genuinely top tier in terms of creating a sense of biblical oppresiveness, primitive mystery, omnipotence and elemental power. It's rare in that it presents God as the unknowable inhuman and callous force he's so frequently described as in the old testament.

The whole theme of taking a stand against evil regardless of consequences is always cool.

At the same time, if you have to long edition, there's no god damn way this book benefited enough from maybe 60 percent of its word-count to justify its inclusion. The end builds slowly, the climax manages to be anti-climactic despite being manic and batshit insane. The pacing in this book is mind-numbing, and it's so weighed down with this King shit I hate where he talks about the minutae of characters lives and chores and boring daily routines with constant dated pop culture references that are just hackneyed in how desperate a bid they are to appeal to shit the reader knows. I like a lot of crazy detail like that in books that take place in crazy universes where stuff works and looks differently, not in 1980's america.

It's not going to blow you away compared to what you've already read. I finished it out of OCD, have some good memories to show for it, but those memories were earned with a lot of slogging.

>Larry, Harold, trashcan man
Genuinely the only enjoyable characters in the book.