/uni/ thread

What university are you at, Veeky Forums? What are you studying? What are you reading at the moment?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediaserver.unige.ch/search/?q=bonnefoy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>THE University of Oklahoma
>Electrical Engineering
>MiddleMeme

Currently studying Philo at UCLA, Reading Candide

a really bad one
computer science
gravitys rainbow

Anyone here who is doing a non-Lit arts or humanities degree - how do you have the time to read fiction?

Duke
English and Theology
Oxford history of Egypt

UK?

I don't understand the question.
Why would I not have time?

Computer Science is probably the most ez degree once you learn how to program well, which many people fail to do and drop out, but its easy past then with very little or no study actually required

Cambridge
Undisclosed subject for privacy (Arts)
The Castle

Are you at Trinity?

Columbia
Philosophy
Moby-Dick, but I want to follow it up with Hume-Kant-Schopenhauer

Maybe I am.

Phrased it badly. I'm doing a Humanities degree and I find I don't have much time to read fiction due to the amount of degree related material I'm reading.

Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México / Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
Computer Engineering and doing a minor in Manufacturing
The Prince by Machiavelli

Aight fellow cantab lad, arts student at Tit Hall here - are you a HSPS student? Bet you are if you don't want to say la haha

kys liberal arts fags
enjoy your worthless degree, future baristas

uchicago
history & philosophy of science
magic mountain, gadamer, koyre

Haha I've already got a training contract at Allen and Overy but cheers anyway kidder

UoA
Theology
A bad book on literary essays because, apparently, my approach is wrong or something.

Ya te pillé, culero

Either drop some hints or don't. Would be interesting.

Okay, deal. Yes, HSPS. First year. You?

University of North Texas
Journalism
Infinite Jest

What's Uni of North Texas like?
I was the user talking about falling in love with a girl over facebook the other day and that's the uni she goes to.

I won't tease you, I'm actually at pic related. I have a lot of Arts mates at Trinity though - are you there?

She's probably taking senior dicks right now.

1st as well, doing AMES. How you liking first year? I'm from up north so I'm surrounded by poshos and I can't take em, some of them are proper Jacob Rees-moggs

Seriously tell me about it, I'm thinking about transferring there.

So three of us, assuming nobody is pretending.

Of course I am here, distracting myself from reading. That's funny, I am also not at Trin, but have a few arts friends there myself. How's life at Keys?
Had my blues, but utterly attached to it too. So much potential for it to be the best place I have ever been to. International and largely unaffected by poshness. Didn't think Tit Hall was that posh.

>ivy league school
>barista

nice try, friendo.

University of Delaware
English
The Sound and the Fury

Such a middlebrow thing to say. If you're smart enough to attend a proper school then you can major in Afro-Dildo theory and still land a well-paying job. Beside the rare outlier who's genuinely interested in what he's studying, STEM is for state school mediocrities who have no choice but to stew away in something they don't enjoy just to fund the middle class consumption lifestyle their parents expect of them.

Wahey, I'm an HSPS cantab atm

It's a pretty average school outside of the music dept. The city itself is tremendous though, rife with culture and music and bars. There's a great used book store on the square that always gets old first editions of books.

Tit isn't that posh mate but you get bourgeois lads at every college. Lemme ask you a question - some lad I know at Emma tells me to get on HSPS you need at least 95 UMS in everything at A level - can you confirm? I reckon he's chatting shit and I always tell him it's a Mickey mouse like Land Econ

Yeah everyone is so posh and rich. I wish I had less self-awareness so I could tell people about how poor I am all the time but everyone just thinks I'm average for cam

It's pretty high competition. I'm HSPS and most of the people I know doing it got 95%+ (although that's probably the average in arts anyway...)

I wonder if you know that girl?

You the other HSPS lad? Don't worry too much about it mate. I know a lad who probably has Habsburg in him and he doesn't treat me any different even though I'm from a terrace on an ex-council estate. Don't let it bother you

I dunno if that satisfies me. I know people don't dislike me intentionally for being poor, but I'm very aware of how often I seem rude or out of place because I don't really understand their customs

Central Saint Martins
Foundation in Architecture
We by Zamyatin

Ey. Which year?

I know a fair share of people who failed their offers. Not Land Econ level, but I don't think it is that hard. There is a possibility I even know who you are talking about, hm.

>Universidad de Oviedo
JUST
>History
>Reading the Bible everyday. Just finished Swann's Way and the Complete Plays of Aeschylus. I'll keep reading Proust tomorrow, I guess.

Nah I've heard Arts is a lot lower than STEM for UMS avg. A lot of my Historian mates only scraped it in with like 90 UMS average after a remark haha.

It will get better. Try and find more people from a similar background if you can. Or do what I do sometimes and use it to your advantage - have a go at them for being "bourgeois swine" etc.

Screw them, really. I hang out with very down-to-earth people, and everyone I know actually makes fun of poshos.

Yeah but I don't want to come out of university and end up being as poor as I went in, the whole point is surely to depovertise yourself

Sofia Uni n shiet mfka

Just graduated from UNT in May with a film degree. Fun school, cool town, learned a lot, but lacks the connections needed for jobs unless you're in the music school. Would do it again. Also read Infinite Jest not long ago. How far into it are you/how long is it taking to read it?

You can go to LawSoc if you want. Country socs usually have good business connections too if that's your kind of thing. I think you will be fine even without completely selling yourself.
Are you the other HSPS fellow? Sorry, I am curious. Especially in HSPS everyone's pretending to be 'street' anyway.

If you actually know my mate - haha jesus christ. Us Veeky Forums Cantabs should meet up, drive down to Oxford and cause a bit of trouble.

I think that might be a misperception. People in HSPS pretend to be african, not poor. Many of the boys our out and proud conservatives of one kind or another

Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
Aeroespace Engineering
V.

Montclair State University
English Literature
I just finished reading Stoner

tips for getting to the point of knowing how to program well? I know very little in the realm of programming besides some rudimentary python

Would be up for it, hah. Though the battle at the homefront must be won first...
What are you reading btw.? Degree stuff?

Virtually everyone I know is at least a social democrat. A phony one, possibly, but. Are you in a different year?

York (Glendon specifically. Kill me before I have to go to the main campus)
Philosophy/English
Something by Woolf

as someone that graduated from stanford, this isn't the case, at all

Second year. Outside of HSPS maybe, inside I'd say it's pretty evenly divided desu

The Great Caliphs: the Golden Age of the ‘Abbasid Empire for degree stuff, also reading Blitzed by Norman Ohler.

UNAM
English Literature
Discurso inaugural de la Universidad Nacional, by Justo Sierra

Any swiss friends around?

I've been trying to access these conferences but theyre blocked... maybe an user wants to help around? It'd be much appreciated ;)

mediaserver.unige.ch/search/?q=bonnefoy

I'm also at Columbia yo

Studying English

> Bowling Green
> AYA English Education (high school teacher)
> rereading Cat's Cradle

i almost went to columbia for my PhD

how is it?

>all these ivy league students
>i go to a state school
>have good grades but still feel very stupid

fucking kms

Ivy League isn't for smart people, it's for rich people

If you're doing engineering, then you'll make more than them, anyway.

If you're not well, you're out of luck.

confirming this

don't feel bad for a second

Have you tried different socs? Hear there is a Working Class one with drinks paid by Trinity (funny enough). Then Labour and Marxist, though even the latter is quite phony too I was told.

Interested in Nazism, eh? Want to tell whether you are doing any extracurricular stuff you can recommend?

Alma Mater Studiorum of Bologna, the first university of the world
Literature and Philosophy
Hypnerotomachia Poliphili by Francesco Colonna

I personally love it. There's a lot of SJW bullshit among the general public but some of the students and professors are the most patrician people I've ever met. Academically it really varies for each department, but the programs I've seen are stellar.

Where'd you end up?

im an english major but my school is known for its teaching program (which is why i went)

i just wanna be an english teacher and work my way up to professor over the years

history and economics
the sound and the fury

>tfw autodidact

that's why you're the best here

how many good boy points do you have?

You guys are completely out of touch. Ivy League schools have some super rich legacies and sports shitheads but these schools are mostly high school valedictorians and salutatorians with stratospheric SAT scores. If you could have gone, you would have. But that's not to say you can't do great things where you are. Just don't go through life with the sour grapes attitude.

How is UCLA's phil program? I've been considering it, but all the people I know at the uni are stem majors

The only thing you can do is to keep doing things outside your current capability, I would suggest you google project euler and start from there, or decide on a simple project and research how to make it and then do it.

The Evergreen State College
Everything and Nothing
Sexual Personae

Let's be friends.

Went to Northeastern Uni in Boston

Hoping to get a 175+ on the LSAT this February so I can have a good shot at Harvard or UChicago Law

>The Evergreen State College
this place seems like the ultimate stoner/slacker palace, no offense

sometimes i kinda wanna give it all up and vape marijuana 24/7 and a get a degree in sociology at that place

Do you know her?

Where'd you do your coop? Think carefully, man. Law school is not worth it. Take it from a biglawyer

Oxford
Philosophy
Steppenwolf

Happy to see other philosophy majors. Maybe we can make a shanty town together after we graduate.

Did one at SSgA and one at Goldman and saved up enough money to do an unpaid coop at a US Attorneys Office to make some connections in law. Everyone tells me law school isn't worth it but its the only way I really see myself making a good salary after school. I didn't enjoy finance and, even if it interested me, I don't have the personality for it.

You're not wrong. You get exactly as much out of the place as you put in, and many take that as an invitation to put in nothing.

If you're driven, creative, and highly self-motivated, it can be a great environment. You just need to be very careful in program selection, and more often than not Independent Learning Contracts are the best option if you're not going for a B.S.

>If you're smart enough to attend a proper school then you can major in Afro-Dildo theory and still land a well-paying job.
You've been watching too many movies, pal.

I see. Just consider that law school is a true 3-year investment of your life and the debt is astronomical. The only people I know who are "happy" doing it now are those with wealthy parents who paid for school or someone got a scholarship at a lesser school but managed to excel and scrape their way into a good firm.

Getting into a good school is no guarantee of a good salary (i.e. biglaw, which is the only option for a good salary), and even then you're looking at a serious grind doing boring work and paying off those loans. Alarms go off when you say you're not interested in finance - so much of law is catering to big financial clients who only see the bottom line. If you have something more public interest in mind, all the power to you. But it won't be more interesting than most finance jobs, and a hell of a lot less flexible.

If you are truly interested in law, gun as hard as you can for Yale Law and academia. Best of luck, man.

Graduated from OU last semester, I've always hated people's insistence on calling it the university of Oklahoma, when Oklahoma University rolls off the tongue so much better.

I'm at Rice now though, and am reading the Second Sex.

Almost decided to go here until I read that its liike 80% white kids? Yikes.

How do you like it though? My homegirl goes there.

Are you an NU alum too?

I studied econ. Always felt that the department leaves students interested in graduate studies very unprepared

I assume many of you are planning on going to law school or already there. I recently decided(freshman) that I want to do law. I go to a state college(WVU) and was wondering if there was any chance in hell I could make it into a t14 school. I really want to major in history as I believe it would be the easiest for me to reach a 4.0. Also, what do you think a good minor would be for LSAT and law school preparation? Thank you. PS. I can still change my major easily, so if History is a no, I can change.

Anyone go to Deep Springs or Sr John's (Maryland)? I only heard about them once I was well into my undergraduate studies but surely these are the most Veeky Forums colleges in the US

sounds great. i sometimes think about how different my life might be if i had made that decision differently. plus there's just something about living in new york.

i ended up picking chicago because the program was a better fit, but it was a narrow margin. i'm this guy: most kids at great universities are just rich brats. there are always great people too, but there's definitely an air of self-importance in my experience.

Maryland is a hellhole. Way too many blacks

Who is she?

I plan on applying to law school this fall. Early this year I took the free sample LSAT and got nearly all the questions right, so I signed up for the June LSAT. Ended up doing much worse - got every question wrong on an RC passage I couldn't focus on and got a 167 (10 points lower than my practice test) I've been taking prep for February more seriously so hopefully things work out better this time.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that undergrad prestige hardly matters. Just keep your GPA 3.85 . The best way to prep for LSAT is to read the powerscore Bibles and take as many preptests as possible. Before you start doing that I guess I'd just recommend reading nonfiction and good fiction, magazines like The New Yorker, The Economist, and The Scientific American, and reading journal articles.

Well, that just isn't the case in the Ivy League. There might be an air of self-importance, but remember that the claim "they're rich kids" is patently false.

In fact, the Ivy League schools have some of the most generous financial aid programs in the country. Often, going to an Ivy school is cheaper than going to a state school. Most Ivy students are on financial aid.

For example, at Harvard College, more than 70% of students are on financial aid. If you're parents make less than $65,000 you PAY NOTHING to go there.

Think about that: if you get into Harvard College, and your parents don't have much money, you go there for free. Many of the Ivy schools, especially Princeton are like this. As a result, the student body is incredibly diverse and interesting.

Stanford isn't a proper school, kiddo