Do you actually discuss literature with anyone IRL?

Do you actually discuss literature with anyone IRL?

None of my friends are readers in the sense that I am. Many of them don't read at all, some (despite being adults) read lots of YA romance, and one exclusively reads eastern mythological texts.

Do you talk about literature with people or is it all just shitposting?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/DxExO
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sit on my face bb

this question has been posted 57.982 times

I've got only one friend with whom I can discuss literature.

I've recently come to realize that literature is just another bullshit hobby. People seem to understand that when we discuss it, just like I understand their own hobbies are worthless, useless. I don't speak about it, ever.

Some dude started talking to me on the street a few weeks ago and apparently we talked about wittgenstein at a bar while I was black out drunk. That's the closest I've been

>another bullshit hobby
It's probably one of the better hobbies out there, unless you're talking about genre fiction then yes it's bullshit

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

I had one friend with whom I could have intellectual conversations, we used to talk about literature quite a lot.

Then a year ago he revealed that he was in love with me and wanted me to participate with him in homoerotic sex magic rituals. We don't really talk anymore.

that pic looks stinky

What are you, gay?

You know receptive anal sex magic is the only kind that really works, don't you?

>Then a year ago he revealed that he was in love with me and wanted me to participate with him in homoerotic sex magic rituals. We don't really talk anymore.
sounds like a good guy.

faggot

are you some kind of faggot, bro?

just get out

Fag

Leon is that you?

Only my wife, despite most of my friends have literary degrees.
I think I just prefer with her because she's so ignorant on the subject that she's in awe by most anything I tell her

Is she intelligent otherwise?

>marrying a pleb

It's like you want us to make fun of you.

For sure, although a bit slow on the draw.
She's just more enamored by traditional arts (painting, oriental drawing styles)

.com/r/cuckolding
You fucking nu-male plebian.

I have a friend who is very into weird fiction so we always talk about old ghost stories and shit.

my only experience discussing "serious" literature was with some guy who was really into Nietzsche and David Foster Wallace. he came across as really obnoxious so I pretended to have read IJ and just bullshitted from memes I saw on here. probably the only time Veeky Forums has benefited me.

I can talk a little bit about literature with my friends IRL, but not in depth.

>some guy who was really into Nietzsche and David Foster Wallace. he came across as really obnoxious

that sounds torturous. i would've been looking for a topic change or way out of that convo so quickly.

That's pretty cute honestly
>tfw no gf

Couldn't you have just said "no" and stayed friends?

The nagging knowledge that he wants to penetrate your anus and make sacrifices to Satan makes it a little strained.

but the good kind right?

My gf and I always discuss what we read and give each other updates whenever we find something interesting about it. Then we give each other recs. Its very comfy.

my friends give me recs about books, music, films, vidya, all the time. i just ignore them lmao. my backlog is big enough as it is

Yes: with the hundreds of undergrad students I teach, and with my colleagues. I have more time with the classes (and since I choose their texts, we always have something to discuss--at least with those actually who do their readings), but detailed discussions of chapters or articles do sometimes happen with my editors and other academics.

I said no and remained friendly with him but I guess he felt embarrassed or something and gradually drifted away.

Good birthing hips

Every once and a while the clerk at the bookstore will comment on what I'm buying and tell me I have good taste. This happened with Vollmann, Vasily Grosman, and Mishima

>tfw Life and Fate was too slow paced for you

No my friends are literally shit tier humans. They're criminals and aggresive, poorly adjusted jerks. Their only hobbies are pop culture, snapchat, getting high, insulting everyone, and trying to get laid.

I only spend time with them because I like getting high and also they're the only people who tolerate my autism and repulsive physical appearance (although they make fun of me a lot). Also because one of them is my roommate so I have no way to truly get away from them.

If they knew I read books they'd probably make make fun of me relentlessly about it.

I only got one friend lol and hes a retard

(OP)

name of pic related?

lurk more

If you want them to stop making fun of you just do something crazy or aggressive one time.
Like If someone is rude in public tell them to fuck off
This will overshadow all other things because it's unexpected and you'll be the guy who doesn't take shit. Or if you fuck it up you'll be an idiot who got the shit beaten out of him.

Found some more pics of her in the end but I had to go on fucking reddit to do so

What is YA romance?

post them ITT

Fucking dudes is the most Veeky Forums thing possible

I always do fight back, but my comebacks aren't always the greatest. A few times I've just punched them or pushed them hard, but that doesn't stop them. It's cool though, I've been working out and I'm working on moving anyways, so a few more months and I won't have to deal with them ever again. I had actually managed to almost fully cut them off, but then my roommate began bringing them by all the fucking time.

I'm necessarily the only target, though. They have another friend who they are even more vicious towards, and they're pretty vicious towards each other, too. A few weeks ago two of them got into a shouting match in public, one of them pulled a knife and in the end the cops came. They break the law all the time, my roommate in particular has been incarcerated multiple times. He grew up in jail, in fact. Its really only a matter of time.

>tfw my girlfriend laughs at me for only reading genre fiction

She needs to take a shower. Gross. Why would anyone take a picture of themselves in such conditions and try to come off sexy.

Reading is for queers Tbh

Jesus, get out of there user.

Move out as soon as you can brother

Used to talk to my cousin all the time. She's an egotistical cunt who only ever reads YA fiction series (typically fantasy or vampires), give me recommendations that I MUST read, and never consider any of mine.

My manager is actually a total bro and reads much more than I do. I'm considering reading the book he currently is when he's finished just because he made it sound fucking great. I read a few pages at work one day and I'm willing to read any recommendations he makes
He's reading
>H is for Hawk

It's baby oil. She posin'

And it sweat is sexy in the right context. The best sex breaks into a sweat.

If a woman likes lit, I'm 77% sure I could get her into bed.

Link

imgur.com/a/DxExO

Wew

everytime i'm drunk

My mom desu

I casually met this philosophy undergrad chick twice while being absolutely shitfaced drunk. I remember we talked about Frege, Wittgenstein and Lolita. On the second meeting, while we were at the portal of her building, she said that she would fuck me but she didn't feel like it in that moment and I started drunk rambling like "come on, don't do this, let's do this, don't say bullshit" until she asked me to leave. I acted like I didn't remember shit the morning after and she seemed friendly when I texted her.
On the next months, she behave nice when we casually found each other. But last saturday night she didn't say hi when I saw her in the street with another guy.
Also, I have a friend I could talk about some books with, but he barely reads now. Another friend who had never been particularly into reading is currently reading a lot of Bernhard and Houellebecq and we talk about it sometimes. That's it.

Theres one friend I like to talk to about literature, who is much more knowledgeable than me
Also a girl that I just recently found out likes literature too, weve talked 2 or 3 times but I'm not sure shes serious about it yet

I know how you feel user, I was in the same boat until I realised how narcissistic the whole process was and broke up .

i would gladly smell her farts

>unless you're talking about genre fiction then yes it's bullshit
End this meme now.

>We don't really talk anymore.
But you haven't really answered what everyone is wondering right now: did you accept?

I want to suck the shit out of her sweaty asshole.

Get out of here, Joyce.

jessica 蔡 昀 潔

Never really met anyone who had much of an interest in literature besides genrefiction nonsense. I guess that is what you get when you work in technology and live in a country without a historically significant contribution to literature.

>genrefiction nonsense
Stop this.

It's true though. What am I gonna do when some fat neckbeard starts talking about his Highlander books? It is genrefiction nonsense.

jessicababyfat on instagram

fuck off back to your board and jerk off the fantasy trash there

My GF loves Russian lit. We talk about that.

WEW
E
W

>trying to get my girlfriend into Russian lit
>"haha you russians and your books"
>reads "Me Before You" instead
>takes several months to do so

She sounds like a bitch. I would have yelled at her then stormed off. NO ONE disprespects me.

>Sees girl he saw once or twice in the street
>She doesn't say hi
>He starts yelling in a high pitched voice
>"Y-you whore" he says while his voice cracks
>Stumbles of while everyone is in tears

It helps that my GF is Ukrainian and has read Russian and Ukrainian lit since childhood.

>said she would fuck him then told him to leave
Only a beta would experience this

Trying to force your way in when she says she's not feeling it right now is indeed a really stupid thing to do. Glad we agree.

>tfw remember constantly coming onto girls When 14 "as a joke" because I thought I was being funny even though I seriously wanted sex time and they all probably thought I was a creep perv because I was
Cringing through time

>once and a while
Hard to believe you're a reader tbphwy

>she's not feeling it right

This is bullshit, he was probably making autistic come ons and she said that not to hurt his feelings

With that shit you never tackle the subject of fucking directly. You could probably say Zizek's thing of a plastic dildo in an electric vagina and get some.

at least you tried. I don't cringe when I look back on my advances, but I do when i look back on times I was beta and indirect and didnt directly assert my sexual interests

I never made and probably never will make any move onto a girl, I always feel like a pervert and she will be disgusted.

Not really tho, I was too drunk for that. We had been partying with other people and she was the one that suggested that we two left. We went to a bar near her home, took our drinks to the street and sat on a bench. Then a romanian drunk guy, 40something year old, appeared and I think I was conversating with him for an hour or so while the girl didn't say shit.

Do you know something about wittgenstein or it was just namedropping? I talked to former philosophy student when i was drunk but i am afraid to contact him as i might appeared as a pseud then

I am going to teach you a valuable life lesson now that will hold you in good stead in the future here.

The word is conversing. Conversing is the verb you want. This night would have ended differently if you were conversing with the Romanian drunk and included the girl.

Yeah I know stuff. She even told me later that she was surprised by how lucid I seemed to be about it despite being so drunk.
English ain't my native language mane. I begur pardon

>one exclusively reads eastern mythological texts
That sounds cool, why not talk about that? You'll probably never read it so you might learn something.

>talking with people who take seriously the "le obscure oriental stories are cooler than western ones" meme

Where did I compare them to western ones? I love western myths. But I also realize I'm barely ever exposed to eastern ones so there could be something interesting there too.

Maybe it's the same for OP, maybe not.

Sorry, I misread your post. Yeah the guy he might actually have to talk to could be one of those people. Possibly not though?

>I just bullshitted from Veeky Forums memes

So you made weird faces at him?

The kingdom of god is found in the male G-Spot

If you approach women as objects, then you will seem like a perv.
If you attempt to connect with them as a human being you might get somewhere.

R u actual gril?
R u attractive at all?

Lol, I'm in a 15 year relationship, so not really a "girl" anymore.
My partner finds me attractive, and strangers seem to flirt with me a lot, so I guess I am.

I've met people with the same tastes.

Discussing literature irl gets pretty boring pretty quickly, desu. It boils down to "oh yeah I've read this guy. Have you read x?."
At best there's some comments or disagreements on a character or style, but that usually doesn't go very far. You don't get heated interesting debates like on Veeky Forums because you can't take your arguments ironically far, and because you realise pretty quickly you're just discussing books when you could be doing something, well, more fun.

Lasts 1 hour at best before you both want to do something else.

I never really did A because that my biggest fear, but I feel that at some point you gotta make sexual advances if you want to get some and I always chickened out.