Cursive

Why did cursive writing die out?

texting.

capitalist efficiency

Do kids nowadays really learn cursive like on the bottom?
That's barely even cursive anymore.

Ballpoints. Pens needed to be in as continuous contact with the paper as they could be so that the flow was smooth. The invention of the ballpoint meant that you could print, as with a pencil. Still, it didn't die out, and countless gradeschoolers were required to learn the tortuous curls and connections.

..then computers put an end to that nonsense for good.

We hold on to traditional stories long after they tell us anything useful.

Probably this. I'm still sad about it, though, I wish I could write in that beautiful and curling script. I always tell people the same funny story about how, when I moved as a kid, the school I was at before was just starting to teach me script, and the one I went to next had already taught all its students script. I therefore never learned how to write in script, whether it's slanted or straight as in the OP.

Keyboards/word processors.

Computers. Then it stopped being taught in schools.
We started leading it in 3rd grade and then it was removed from the curriculum.
Every other teacher I had from then on was mad that we didn't know how to do it, being the first class that didn't learn.

I remember in third grade when we started learning it, and they told us by fifth grade we'd get a zero for anything that wasn't in cursive. Fifth grade didn't do that, but told us middle school would.
Never had to use it once. I taught myself how to make much nicer cursive than the versions we learned in school and write random quotes down the margins of my notes in it when I'm bored. That's the only use of it I've ever found.

do despite not having to apply your cursive you became a fag anyway

I write in a shitty self-taught script because it's faster for notes.

no one could read that and if you want to write out something long and save time you would just type.

I write like the middle one. Indeed I was fascinated by my mother's cursive when I was a child and worked very hard in school to develop a visually pleasing cursive for myself. I have been writing in cursive exclusively since the third grade and my print shows it.

One of these years I may consider revising my cursive to look nicer

See for a general idea of why cursive degenerated
It is still much faster and much more pleasant looking than handwritten print.

Mine is more like an intermediary between nr 2 and nr 3, leaning far more towards the former.
I'm 28 though.
Interestingly I notice now that my capital letters have mutated over time to be more like the top style even though I'm pretty sure the type I learned in school is from the second set.

Probably because it facilitates sloppy handwriting and it's hard to read in general.

This is what I do as well.

I think we were taught it but I don't have any memory of it. My handwriting has always been the same shitty scrawl as long as I could remember. It's pretty fast though.

But you write faster with cursive

Because it was shit, and they flatly lied to you to get you to learn it.

It's sort of a race to the bottom with aesthetics in the western world right now.
Practical and utilitarian is the name of the game.
Oh you can have shitty gaudy decorations, but they will be shitty, and they will fall apart.
We need an Arts and Crafts revival.

Oops, forgot to delete name.

My sex has nothing to do with the thread/ post.

It's still used in Europe. Everyone develops their own version of cursive and it's hard as shit to read but super easy to misinterpret. Written script is superior in everything except for speed. Yeah, it's nice to look at it and romanticize the fuck out of it "Hurr durr teh pretty curls and twirls hurrrrr" but actually using it is completely different.

From public school in the 90s, I didn't. Ours was more similar to the top.

I'm a boy and I've been told I have beautiful handwriting. Does that make you wet?

I did Christian school in the 90's and it was like the middle.
4th and 5th grade had an entire period of "penmanship": endless copying of poems and prose and Bible passages.

I agree with this, more than an arts and crafts revival though I think we need to first take pride in appearance and technique.

you read slower, especially if you are trained for non-crusive

>trained for non-crusive
You mean "learned letters in kindergarten"?

24. College educated. Can only write in print.

Christian school is a higher grade of education compared to public schools. I went for one year in the 6th grade and we were reading selections from the King James Bible, Don Quixote, and Shakespeare during language arts period.

Before the era of CAD, many designers and drafters trained themselves rigorously for writing in standard print, all in capital lettering.
Some even required students and apprentices to measure each line of every letter on blueprints.

Which is interesting but it very much doubt it is relevant right here.

Why is that? You don't think there are schools which preferred to stick to standard print? Having gone to many schools as a child, several of which did just that, I can assure you that is not the case, and that it is no reason to try to belittle a style of writing just because you like more flourishes.

It's not a style. They're just capital letters with a slant.