Why is steak so bad?

why is steak so bad?

i just had steak because i had to make sure i hated it , and its confirmed, its really bad.

it was pretty expensive too

its like eating gooey dead animal you found on the side of the road with flies on it and just so fucking boring

i cant stand people who eat steak

i actually threw it away after taking a few bites i almost threw up

what a waste of food to put in my stomach when i could be enjoying any other thing much more

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tJKAQggSs9Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sage

good post

Alright, even though this is a shitpost, I do have a question about steak.

I've been a vegetarian for 18 years - just getting into trying meat now as I'm working as a chef. I've cooked and eaten chicken, duck, fish, lobster, pork and goat. They were all pretty good, duck was particularly great.

Steak however hasn't really impressed me. I cooked a sirloin the other day, basting it in butter, rosemary and garlic, but the taste and flavour to me was just overall a bit bland.

Any suggestions as to how I can cook it differently so that I can get a better flavour out of it, or possibly something to complement it?

Picture is the steak in question.

word steak is bland as fuck

i think these people who are eating steak are like not really human and theyre pretending like this is a good food

i cant explain it

that's a weak bait son

You did sear it correctly ?

I just left it to sear without moving it. First, one side for about 2 minutes, then the other side for about 3 (I think it was a smaller than usual sirloin).

After I seared the first side, it kind of curled up a little from the meat tightening, so the second side didn't evenly touch the pan.

Sear was done on a correct pan i guess (read non non-stick pan) ?

Oh that may be it, shit. Pretty sure I used a non-stick.

Right, round 2.

ideally it's aged beforehand, and properly seasoned before being served. Regardless of how well you've seared it, it will require salt at the very least.

If you're planning to buy anything thicker than an inch, I'd suggest a butcher over a grocery store - they'll actually have dry-aged beef. It's amazing what can happen to flavours when you let things go bad in a controlled environment.

Steak is one of the most overrated foods in existence. The best purpose of a steak is to go with a tannic red wine that would otherwise be less than pleasant to drink but with a steak becomes delicious and satisfying.
Dry aged is an acquired taste, I am not sure that a vegetarian of 2 decades is necessarily going to enjoy the taste of a dry aged steak. Expensive doesn't automatically mean good.

That's certainly an issue.

You also bought a pretty shitty steak to begin with. Sirloin is the cheapest cut that you might still call a "steak".

Cock sounds about more your speed, OP.

>Sirloin

There's your problem.

Sirloin doesn't deserve the butter and rosemary treatment, that cut gets turned into cheap fast food burgers.
Ribeye has the fat, texture and flavor profiles that are sought after in a simple steak prep. Filet is fine too, I guess. It's soft but lean...and expensive for what you get.

Try a cut that's meant to be cooked like that and you might change your mind. Maybe. But I think you are just used to using your vegetarian history as a way to focus the topic of conversation back on yourself like every other vegetarian and vegan.

Wtf...searing does not need a non-stick. Hell you could go full cast iron if you want.

Don't listen to this.

sounds like you have an incurable case of being a stupid faggot

im sorry user im afraid there no cure

>non non-stick pan

Forgive me. I suck cocks for a living

>basting it in butter, rosemary and garlic,
sounds like you forgot to add salt!

anyways, i like to dip my steak pieces in a nice sauce. for me, that's Maggi aroma with some chopped chilies in it. can eat that every day of the week.

I've only ever had one good steak in my life that my sister cooked a few years ago. It was perfectly tender and tasted amazing. Every other steak I've had either prepared by friends/family or in a restaurant was a bland, tough, greasy or soggy inedible chunk of shit.

Ribeye, tbone and new York strip is my preferred

Especially new York strip, I could eat that probably 5 days a week with a 2 day break for pizza and then pasta

Your steak looks soggy and under salted.

You also need to coat that steak with a generous amount of course pepper and sea salt. The salt is very important in helping to sear the steak. Sea salt is not very salty, so don't worry about putting a bit more on there.
Then, the other thing is your pan wasn't hot enough. The surface only looks to warmed and not seared at all!. You want the steak to be smoking like it was sitting on lava. you want that oil to burn, and let the steak sit and roll around in that max heat for at least a few minutes.

>Reddit spacing.

Its flyover-core gourmand food pretending it's gourmet
Fuck steaks

Here's the problem:

youtu.be/tJKAQggSs9Q

i definitely think that the steak purists are missing out. a lot of people say salt pepper grill serve, but i always make good shit to go with my steaks. last week i did a horseradish mashed potato, filet mignon and reduced port wine sauce along with some asparagus and carrots. shit was great. i also love making cilantro and chile steak sauce or chimichurri or bernaise or whatever else.

Anyone else find more flavors when they cook it a bit more?

I've been eating my steaks pretty rare for years but I very slightly overcooked a bone in ribeye a few months ago and it was WAY more flavorful.

I'm not talking well done but somewhere between medium and medium well.

I think it depends on the specific cut and the quality of the meat.

If you have good quality beef and it's a cut like tenderloin then I do prefer it rare (with a good sear, of course). OTOH if the steak isn't so nice and you have some large chunks of fat in it then those steaks benefit from longer cooking, leaning more towards medium.

Steak isn't a flavourful wonderfood, but the juiciness and texture is just amazing.

That makes sense. I always ask the butcher for a pretty fatty cut.

I've also noticed textural benefits to cooking a bit longer. Even with expensive cuts I get some tougher bites or gooey bites when I cook rare.

Vegetarianism is a white people's disease caused by their recessive genetic defects.

Then eat lettuce, I do not make shitty posts about what you should eat, so pelase do nat make posts about what i should eat or not. And steak is delicious when made right.

steak is a meme food because it's maybe the only cuts of meat which are good on its own (with fairly minimal seasoning)

that doesn't make it better than a proper, well designed and cooked dish, though

Steak is the biggest meme food around, don't know why people obsess over it and act like there's so many fine nuances in cooking a fucking piece of meat with salt and pepper.

>don't know why people obsess over it and act like there's so many fine nuances

Seriously? There are many different ways to prepare it, so of course people are going to have their own personal preferences regarding the details.

If you have to try this hard, give up.

It's easy to make and eat a shitty steak.
It's also easy to make a nice tasty steak.

It's all about the cut, how well you cook it, what you season it with, how you cook it, and sometimes what you pair it with.

Personally, I like a Medium NY Strip with salt and pepper with a nice sear on a cast iron and finished in oven if I can't grill it, and served with a side of mashed garlic potatoes and a seltzer water.

Go to a good steakhouse (I'm talking prime beef and $50+) and get a ribeye, medium rare. That is your baseline.

Steak is icky and gross just like whiskey is

"men" only try to act like they like it to impress each other

steak is only loved by hipsters and those that are insecure with their masculinity or status
steak purists only like salt and maybe pepper to be added for seasoning, and no marinade, along with thick cuts; this results in such poor seasoning/browning:mass ratio that the steak looks, smells, and tastes flat, one-dimensional, uninteresting, and boring, regardless of doneness
what's worse is that these """purists""" have such a poor understanding of temperature control that the best they can do is either lightly brown the outside while leaving the interior cold and rubbery, or completely carbonize the outside and leave the interior dry and tough
cooking a steak is just about the worst thing you can do to a cut of meat other than not cooking it at all and calling it """""haute cuisine"""""

plep taste in a blog post

Shitposting this hard should be condemned under the Geneva convention