>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TB9fwJDweaU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are the flowcharts the essential without no doubt must read fantasy novels?

thats a great image

What is some fantasy with political intrigue?

The Long Price Quartet.

They're some good ones, yeah, if maybe a bit old. Plenty of other charts floating around too.

Iron Council

Traitor Baru Comorant
Long Price Quartet/The Dagger and Coin series
Tigana
The Foundation Trilogy (it's more scifi though)

A mixed bag. It really depends on what you consider essential to the genre. Because some of the sub genres are so niche that there's literally no example you could give from them that would be considered "must read". NPR's list is almost all extremely famous authors and very well known books, which are generally all good starting places for a total beginner in fantasy. The reddit one has a lot more obscure authors and titles and seems to have deliberately avoided putting some of the more famous authors and books on it, which makes me think it's meant for people already familiar with fantasy and looking for something less well known.

What are your opinions on Joe Ambercrombie?

No real interest in reading his stuff; seems like just another sub-GRRM edgemeister.

The only interesting character in his first law books is Glokta.

quick reads but nothing remotely memorable

What's some good fantasy with a little girl protagonist?

Pic related.
Godspeaker trilogy
Iron Dragon's Daughter
Black Jewels Trilogy
Abhorsen
His dark materials

>recaptcha is cheese pizza

Why do you want books with loli protag

should have screenshotted

Edgedancer

The Obelisk Gate by NK Jemisin.

Because it's a change from the usual and lolis make my dick go dokidoki. Fantasy doesn't have enough lewd little girls because only SJW approved stuff wins awards...

>Not catering to literal pedophiles is a bad thing

>dokidoki
There's only 1 DokiDoki dick I want.

reddit pls leave

Being attracted to little girls is pedophilia, if he said teenagers fine.

This point is reinforced by the fact theres talk of lolis which is literally just straight up pedophilia and when its "Im a 40 year old but loli" bullshit its just a way to feel less bad about wanting to fuck children

Not being realistic is a bad thing. You can bet your ass 12-16 were fucked a lot in the middle ages. A scenario where your father is out working and the girl fucks people behind his back to make extra money is very believable. Seeing something written like this from the girls POV and her inner psychology would be very interesting and engaging if done well. But well, you won't see anything like this published even if it's written amazingly because again, SJW.

>ephebophile
youtube.com/watch?v=TB9fwJDweaU

Wtf did hiro do. There are no longer yous how will I know which posts are mine?

4chanx

loli is an aesthetic, you're still a pedophile if you're attracted to a 10-year-old that looks fully developed

Any books which are actual science fiction (ie spaceships or aliens etc) but still have magic?

Nethereal.

Had these bad boys under the christmas tree. Where do I start? Thinking of starting with Promise of Blood because I've never read "flintlock fantasy" before and it sounds fun.

Jeez, that's enough reading until next Christmas if you savour those books and don't speed through them.

Expanse is the best one here.

I liked Black Prism and Leviathan Wakes. Couldn't finish Promise of Blood and barely got through Emperor's Blade, but had no inclination to read the sequels. Haven't read the other two.

Promise of Blood was pretty fun. McClellan is pretty much the grittier Sanderson all the haters say they wish he'd be.

Seconding the Promise of Blood rec. It's solidly written, there's some interesting world building in a setting and time period that's relatively unique, and it's got some good thematic/magical shit going on regarding revolution and the circumstances of monarchy. It does feel a little bloated during the sequels though.

>I liked Black Prism

It's very readable, most of the main characters are enjoyable. I'll admit the recent installment was a letdown.

So, some of you read Xeelee: Endurance, right? I'm a bit confused on some parts. I'm not reading all of the stories but I've read a handful thus far.

In the first story, what was up with that ending? Was Virtual Poole somehow the same as Real Poole from Timelike Infinity because wormhole timey-wimey shit?
Also goddommit that story involving the descendants from Raft in Universe Beta was sad with its ending; also didn't even see a point in the story at all other than discussing the Scourge and such.
PeriAndry's Quest didn't seem to have a point to it, either.

Was Xeelee: Exultant any good?

I read everything there except wakes and cold silver. How is cold silver (those who read it) wakes is scifi don't want.

>he reads less than 6 books a year
Pleb

>I'll admit the recent installment was a letdown.

>tfw trudging through Long Sun is a fucking chore

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THE FUCKING SACRIFICES GENE THIS BETTER BE WORTH IT

well ... unlike New Sun ... I think Long Sun is worth it if you "get" it, whereas Fifth Head and his earlier work are great even if you don't understand a damn thing. Short Sun is the payoff for Long Sun, a wonderful series. The conclusion of Long Sun is emotionally powerful, but the full weight of it probably doesn't sink in until a second reading.

>he fell for the Wolfe meme

this isn't my first Wolfe. I've read BOTNS, FHOC and Island Of Doctor Death.

This is just his first work where I'm struggling to keep reading. It seems so...subpar.

Think I get away with calling video games "Vidya" in my 150-200yr near-future setting? Seems cheeky.

I quit reading halfway.

Loved BOTNS; but Long Sun was unsubtle, uninteresting, and as far as my headcanon is concerned, never happened. All the ambiguity of BOTNS is lost.

One thing, as a woman, that bothers me. Is the lack of disturbance towards the concept of pregnancy in novels. Seriously, it's like nobody considers it. Especially given how little of a choice there was in the far past towards our rights and unwillingness. It's terrible body horror shit. It's demeaning, dehumanizing, it fucks up what you look like forever. It breaks your pelvis in microfractures. It's just, awful through and through with some positive elements.

But I don't like how it isn't explored, demeaning and dehumanizing labor we have no choice but to be put through is a concept I don't that's ever been handeled well or properly. Maybe it's me, it's a deep seated fear of not being understood, that men's desires for heirs in the past, or just their mindless desires in the present, override our own autonomy and emotions towards them, making you feel like you don't see in them what they see in you.

I don't know what I'm saying. I just wish women weren't constantly written as "Men! But different!", and not facing the grimey slimey disturbing bullshit dealt with is. Or how we're forced into believing its acceptable after shock and sobbing of it wear off as a child, for some people, and for many people, it doesn't wear off. This was even more prevalent in the past I'm assuming given the lack of choice involved.

Fair points.

But I write space scifi, so unless you want to discuss birth in zero-g with me, I can't really help.

>he fell for it

This
I also found Long Sun disappointing when I was reading it. Short Sun makes up for it though, and unfortunately you kind of have to read Long Sun to get anything out of Short Sun.

Even if it's a troll, it's not exactly wrong. Despite being a steaming sack of shit, Promethius really revolted me with the caesarian scene. It is body horror in a way, and as a man it's something I've never really considered.

It should be GRI and S, stillbirth.

this thread's tanking hard

sanderson or wolfe?

Neither.

And.

Any Manly Wade Wellman fans around? His John the Balladeer stories are like Mushishi starring Johhny Cash.

I read and enjoy both.

When you faggots recommended Prince of Nothing, were you rusing me? I hate every single character and don't care about the shitty Fantasy-Noun clusterfuck world. About 1/10 through first volume.

Why are all mythological objects in fiction either swords, armor, books or rings?

Where are the enchanted pistols or eyeglasses or lighters?

It's shit and only pretentious hipsters like it, which is why it's so highly praised here.

Magic realism and Neal Gaiman.

There are enchanted pistols in The High House, and one of the main artifacts is a key-ring. It's not even magical realism.

I read Sherlock Holmes and the War of the Worlds a while back, thought it was OK if a bit campy.

Shut up goy, the only way a female character can be good is if she's strong, i.e. behaves in such a way that nothing defining her has anything to do with her being female. Women are just decoy men and are empowered through committing physical violence, we're all the same, etc.

The thing about this that makes me ree is that "strong female character" is in fact a good thing, but the term's been twisted beyond recognition - it was originally supposed to mean "strongly WRITTEN", i.e. someone with internal complexity/depth, but of course hacks took it to mean "every female character must be LITERALLY tough and strong" and churned out this featureless army of "badass girl" stereotypes to flood the market. Actual strongly-written female characters like Granny Weatherwax or Bellis Coldwine are actually rarer than they were before.

Locke Lamora wasn't as twisty and duplicitous as I was led to believe with the Ocean's Eleven comparisons, nor that good for that matter.

Twists are now so prevalent within stories it seems, that they are either obvious from the first foreshadowing hints or victim to readers always guessing at grand reveals.

I like Granny Weatherwax but she was pretty much Pratchett's self-insert.

>self-instering as a woman

Hot

>People refer to Pratchett in the past tense

Aren't all the witches in Discworld literally strong and tough?

Not really, it's more a "down-home folksy wisdom" sort of thing. Tiffany in particular is inexperienced and tends to rely on the Nac Mac Feegles.

Sure, but they're all dangerous aren't they? It's been about a decade since I read those books, but I recall people either fearing or greatly respecting them, to the degree that they could lie on the ground in a magical coma for hours without being bothered.

>start new Malazan book
>the only new map is of a city
Erikson is doing this on purpose right? He knows people are trying to figure out how all the various continents go together and deliberately has his maps only give you tiny snippets.

Goddommit one of you motherfuckers better answer me.

Sorry senpai, all I've read is Vacuum Diagrams. Keep meaning to get back into it though.

Wolfe, no contest.

>Martin will be the final celebrity death of 2016

>anime or literature?

More like
>anime or church?

First Law Trilogy is alright, goes downhill though
rest of his stuff is awful
just my opinion bro

Are you retarded? His standalones in the First Law world are superior to the trilogy.

nice try, but I don't want to read five hundred pages of quirky cosca humor.
Also the old revenge/who am i? plot-lines were already done in the First Law
there isn't a single memorable character from the stand-alones

As someone who never has read Wheel of Time, I can't imagine an author switch in the midst of a series. Wasn't Sanderson's style jarring to read when you were so comfortable with Jordanian writing, or was Brandon able to replicate the same feel and flow as his predecessor?

Well yeah, but consider this: why would writing about pregnancy be relevant to the character? If she's the strong female character you want to read about so much, then a pregnancy will only confine her to her home and looking after the child until it's big enough to look after itself.
One thing you could do is write about a fantasy female character that used to be a hero and goes to war, then gets raped by enemy troops, becomes pregnant, and then has to somehow find a way to continue her life while the war is still raging around her and the kingdom is falling apart (come to think about it, that does sound kinda cool).

The Witcher books do have a character who gets pregnant and then suffers a miscarriage during battle, so the theme is not skimmed over.
Also, all memes aside, read Le Guin's novel "Tehanu", it's about one of the female characters from her previous life and how her life changed after she married and had kids. It's not overly graphic but it might be what you're looking for.

>inb4 this is just some stale pasta and I'm being horribly meme'd

>>inb4 this is just some stale pasta and I'm being horribly meme'd
It is, and you are.

Jordan had a very plain and readable style. Not very hard to imitate. If you paid really close attention you might be able to notice differences but the prose is meant to be invisible. WoT is all about its plot and characters, so mostly what you'd be looking for is consistency in characterization and pacing. Fortunately Sanderson is pretty good at action scenes and knows a thing or to about moving characters around a map as the plot requires, so he did a pretty good job at playing with Jordan's pieces.

Anyone else reading horrible fantasy books just for shits and giggles?
>pic related
The fact that its self published says it all.

my work here is done.

Malazan fan fiction?

>Anyone else reading horrible fantasy books just for shits and giggles?

isn't that the point of this general?

Hello, I'm looking for a fantasy book with a wizard and an apprentice, or any book involving magic schools.
I've read "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman and found it to be mediocre. I've read HP as well but I prefer something with more darker elements and themes.

Name of the Wind

Blindsight and the sequel spooked me good.

Uprooted

>come to /sffg/
>CTRL+F
>"bakker"
>"0 of 0"

Literally one of the best series of the decade with so much depth you could write a book about it...yet here it's either ignored or " memed" left and right...Disappointing

It's boring.

It's shit. I saw that it won the Nebula Award and I didn't know then that this award means absolutely nothing so I've read that book and it was awful. I understand that Uprooted is a pretty good answer to but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Would you provide me with another recommendation then?

go to reddit if you are not willing to write at least a sentence...there you will get a lot of upvotes for your witty 1 word comments!

That is a sentence, as well as three words. Try again.