Hi can you pass this to the chef please? thanks!

>hi can you pass this to the chef please? thanks!

Ma'am I'm so sorry but the Chef says you are a liability and he will not be preparing food for your, or anyone in your party.

>yeah, I'll give it to him, but I'll be straight-up honest. He'll probably have a big laugh from reading it before rolling it up and using it to snort cocaine.

Are you implying the person in question is pretending to be allergic?

While it is quite possible--likely, in fact--that at least some of those supposed allergies are fictional, no that wasn't my point.

My point was that the level of complexity of the request is just plain absurd. If someone really does have that restricted of a diet then why is that person going out to eat at all? Do they really expect that the restaurant is actually capable of following those crazy restrictions? Aren't they aware that even if the restaurant wanted to help out that it might be impossible given that many foods are prepared in advance?

A lot of people do this to be special snow flakes.

Maybe the chef knows there's something they can make easily with the safe ingridients. If the chef refused to do it I could see why, but I don't see what's wrong with simply asking.

That's not likely. However it is likely that this is a person who really is allergic to certain things, and due to hypochondria or placebo have started avoiding other things as well. Being allergic to things doesn't really make a you a cool special snowflake as there's no mental aspect to it and it's not really interesting. Pretending you have ADD seems more like that kind of thing, and 4channers pretending to be jaded cynics wise to the truths of life.

>but I don't see what's wrong with simply asking.

It's rude because it's such a demanding request.

It's one thing to ask for something simple. It's another thing entirely to ask for something that complex and limiting.

Chicken and a salad?
It's just a customer request. Now if they had sperged out when the chef said 'no' it would've been one thing, but this is just Veeky Forums hating on people with allergies because it fits so neatly into their view of the world that people with allergies are lying assholes who probably got their allergies because they were spoiled as children.

allergyfag here, tree nuts and shellfish. since i'm not a complete fucking autist i get by on using common sense when ordering and asking simple questions of restaurant staff. only really have trouble at the average indian restaurant, where half the menu has nuts and the servers don't really know, much less care to explain the entire menu to some white cunt.
tl;dr the person who wrote op's note should never dine in any public setting

>It's just a customer request

It's not "just" a customer request, it's a very demanding one.

And if the "guest" really does have that many serious allergies then it's not exactly smart to be eating out in general. The chance of food being cross-contaminated is just too high.

Hi, I'm intolerant to most nuts. I also don't do the paper pass thing, I just ask "do you cook this in peanut oil?" If the answer is no then all I have to do is LOOK AT THE INGREDIENT LIST.

Clearly, a lot of chefs aren't going to have time or inclination to actually deal with this customer.

It looks likely that the list includes both allergies and intolerances and it's possible that some of them are imagined or just something that they avoid out of caution and a few might just be preferences

Regardless, it looks like they can eat most salads so although the list is extensive, a motivated chef could probably throw something together in most kitchens. So if they're the sort of chef that takes pride in their menu and doesn't want to turn a customer away, they could probably arrange something for them.

I could make a salad dressing with Italian herbs, olive oil, lemon/orange juice, a splash of soy and some pepper. It would be delicious.
Then use whatever you have of kale, collards, swiss chard, lettuce and spinach and toss with some caramelised onion, chopped asparagus and matchstick carrots. Some lentils if I had them.

Tomatoes aren't in either list so I'd send the waiter back to ask about that, the salad would be better with them.

And the salad would accompany a chicken breast rubbed in olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and pan fried.

How many years have you worked in a restaurant?

>allergic to garlic
I'd seriously consider suicide if that happened to me. Or I'd go seduce young eastern european maidens because I'm a vampire.

Except the kinds of people who type up these lists don't go, "please make me something with the acceptable ingredients." They're the kind who go, "I want the beef special with mushroom sauce and eggplant hummus salad, but without beef, mushrooms, eggplants, or chickpeas."

The server tries their best, the chef tries their best, but these fucks won't be satisfied with anything you bring them. It's way less of a headache to just ask them to leave.

People with legitimate allergies don't eat out

This is called a picky eater

This guy speaks the truth.

Fpbp

> "Uh, well you can clearly what's on our menu, so just pick something that doesn't kill you? Or just go die; honestly that's probably easier, because no one but your mommy is gonna give half a shit that you can't eat BEEF."

>ma'am this is taco bell.

>Chef is an illegal mexican immigrant who barely speaks english
>it will take him 10 minutes of intense struggle to read this
>it will take just as long to have an english speaker explain it to him
>in the middle of a busy service
>mfw

Fucking this. Would be a very quick exercise of my right to refuse service.

Just don't go out, shit. I have peanut and tree nut allergies and i've realized that it's just not safe, so I stopped going out entirely and make my own food.

It's not about looking cool it's making people going out of their way to provide you with special treatment. It's more about a sense of control/power honestly.

what is the point of culinary schooling when everyone can employ an immigrant?

makes things more "authentic" too

>"I want the beef special with mushroom sauce and eggplant hummus salad, but without beef, mushrooms, eggplants, or chickpeas."
"Leave."

>I'm happy to be eating at your restaurant

You won't be for long when your bullshit special snowflake dietary needs aren't put up with

GET OUT.

Kek, we had this. Goats cheese salad, used the steak meat mat to melt the cheese on.

"Tell the chef that was amazing but the goats cheese was too cheesy"

>allergic to this much shit
how is this even possible.
>allergic to beef
>allergic to oats and mustard
is this possible?

you sound like a special snowflake yourself and should promptly fuck off to a ditch somewhere mr virtue signaling knobpolisher

>Well, uh...we got water.

Jose the line guy or even Donnie the alcoholic kitchen manager maybe aren't trying to cook at the level of extremely demanding world-class restaurants.

>can't "safely" eat zucchini
>butternut squash is a-ok

Now this is what makes me angry. First, fuck every faggot redditor defending this thread. Both zucchini, and butternut squash contain the same chemical compounds; only differing in proportion.
If you're allergic to squash, YOU'RE ALLERGIC TO ALL FUCKING SQUSH, and likely all Cucurbitale varieties. If I were a chef and received such a note, I'd beat the fucking asshole who sent the note with a pan. The dumb shithead is just a snowflake.

T. Botanist

at least he's not lactose intolerant!

Why the fuck don't they just order shit that won't kill them?

I had a customer so vegan that she wouldn't eat honey.
HONEY!
Said she didn't want to exploit the bee's labour or something...

That makes sense. Using set up hives to take honey is keeping the bees captive for human use.

It's fucking gay though cause honey rocks.

We have inmates that try to pull this shit to get on special diets. They'll come in with a mile long list of allergies wanting a special snowflake tray but don't realize that without a documented history of a reaction to it they'll have to eat it or starve. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've said the phrase 'I'm allergic to is not the same thing as I don't like. Eat or be hungry'

>people unironically ranting and raving about allergies

Everyone in this thread deserves 3 days to think.

Sometimes I feel like everyone should be required to spend a year working in a restaurant at some point in their lives - just like in some other countries every citizen has mandatory military service.

And yes, basement dwelling cross-boarders on Veeky Forums are among the worst offenders of having no clue how the food service industry works.

Reminds me of the video clip with Anthony Bourdain (back when he still had black hair and was actually still running a restaurant):

...ticket comes off the printer....customer orders a steak..."no butter"...."extra Bearnaise"

Cue the profanity-laced tirade about how Bearnaise is loaded with butter....

>Hi, my name is _____ and I'm happy to be eating at your restaurant. Here are the foods that I want to avoid because they're icky and I don't like them.

Rich white people are a plague.

It's not about allergies. was spot on, nobody would pull this shit at a fast food restaurant, why expect it anywhere else? And act like a straight up cunt about it as well.

Reminds me of a woman that came in once claiming celiac disease, and was very adamant about no gluten at all, proceed to order and drink a beer happily. Really makes you think huh.

Reminds me of a bar I worked at. Similar story but with liqour, he refused to believe me that many vodkas (like potatoes and corn) are distilled from non grain mashes and wounded getting a Bud Light or some shit.

Another guest who was more of a regular made the same claim but would always get Absolut and Ketel One, both distilled from wheat. But she was super nice and always tipped well so I didn't care.