Pol/ck

I hail from /pol/ and have a question. That means I don't suffer any nonsense, am unafraid of controversy and I dont care about your frailties. I take a hard position and I expect you to defend yours.

So here it is:

Imitation crab meat-

Degeneracy or triumph of the free market?

What say you?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_stick

Imitation crab meat ... [is] a form of kamaboko, a processed seafood made of starch and finely pulverized white fish (surimi), shaped and cured to resemble the leg meat of snow crab or Japanese spider crab.

Alaska pollock from the North Pacific is commonly the main ingredient, often mixed with fillers such as wheat, and egg white. Crab flavoring is added (artificial) and a layer of red food coloring is applied to the outside.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailyhealthpost.com/7-reasons-to-stop-eating-fake-crab-surimi/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck off nazi chump

>I'm from *insert board*

AND hidden

subpar. Only people I know who actually like it are vegans, cheapasses, people who don't like crab, and people who can't afford crab. It's not bad, it's offensive to try and pull it off as crab tjo.

Thats right. Run from the issues that shape the future of our children and challenge the foundations of our society.

People like you are why there is no seafood salad in Soviet Canada.

I would be in the cheap category. I just had some today and quite liked it, and looked it up to see what the heck was in it.

Technically, you cant even compare it to 'finely textured beef' (of which I also am a supporter of, partly because I am cheap and partly because I distinguish eating from dining. I know much of the world would kill for either and Im humbly grateful for every blessing).

I think it fills a role like 'cheese food product' and is perfectly good and tasty, but I agree it would be a little fraudulent to actually call it 'crab meat'.

It's garbage but still better than you retards deserve

that crab really seems to hate the water haha

why the heck would a sea animal react so poorly to water? like what's his deal man?

It has its place yeah, but I often see sushi places trying to pass off imitation crab as the real deal, and it's far from it. I've fished for crabs before while on a boat-vacation thing with some buddies and it's just not the same, I guess you could compare imitation crab to storebought crab as you'd compare the meat in a big mac to grocery store minced beef. It has its place, but it's offensive as hell to try and pass it off as anything near the original. Imitation crab is good for inexpensive food that still has a bit of fanciness over it, kids love it as well.

Personally I'll eat it if there's no alternative, but if you try to pass it off as crab meat I get offended, it's the same as shops trying to tell you vegan bacon "tastes just like bacon" when it actually tastes to what a vegan imagine bacon tastes like (Spoilers: My cats won't even eat vegan bacon, nor would any dog I've offered it to before.)

There's more offensive shit in cooking but imitation crab is still offensive to me. Places selling "Safron" for like 20$ for an oz of it (30g or so) it's clearly not real safron.

What I was trying to say before I started rambling is that a lot of imitation food is trying to pass itself of as being close to or near something else while it's far from the truth and it could be marketed as an alternative, not an imitation.

man shut the fuck up, nobody cares

Why would a vegan eat imitation crab?

Because some sushi places have some really weak tofu shit they call imitation crab and eating sushi is so fucking in where I live that I worry hipsters are trying to drain the ocean just to seem in.

lmao please an hero immediately fucking idiot

I suppose he was napping lel

I've never heard of tofu crab, but why not. In the right hands, tofu can be done really well. Those hands aren't mine because I am a culinary klutz, but I have a lot of respect for people who can make vegan dishes sing. It takes some knowledge and practice though.

I guess its true about some liberals having no sense of humor. You cant even tell when absurdity is added to a banal topic to liven it up.

I see. I think I read that it is illegal to call it such in the US, in the same theme as restricting use of the words 'cream' and 'juice'.

I don't know that any ethical cook would try to call it actual crab. I think of it as a modern food that gets flak because its economical and popular, which some see as 'vulgar'. There are people who have to over pay for ancient foods like bread to feel good about it. Whether its in a kitchen or factory line, the way we distribute food has changes, so its natural the way we would make it with new technology would also.

Take Oreos, for example. Have you ever seen how the things are made? Yet they have great popularity and have earned forgiveness in our culture.

PS- I am jelly that you got to crab fish, and thank you for not flaming me for my pro- mystery-meat position. I really appreciate the thoughtful input. I get interested as food being a form of chemistry/alchemy.

"I come from " is the new "I'm a GIRL!"

shutup about the degenerate shit. its revoluting outside pol.

i don't understand what's so banal about discussion of ingredients, especially when you're on a cooking board.

Pic related

Well, I found it interesting learning about the nutrition end of it. The fish is perfectly healthy, and artificial flavors I find fascinating and wonder how they come up with things that tastes like something else.

I bet if I search, I will find 10 junk foods threads on this board while people pretend this is all fine dining. I didn't think there is any harm in asking about unusual food.

At least I didnt ask about the McRib (which is tasty garbage but still a McMiracle of food science.

calling anything you don't like "degeneracy" is the definition of no fun allowed though

I'm pro all kinds of eating, if people like something go ahead and eat it, just don't try and bullshit around it. I love cooking and anything to do with the kitchen, and I love to use different ingredients.

Also it's not that illegal in the US to call it something it isn't. There's two certified places in the US that can serve Kobe beef, yet there's over 300 places that claim to be serving it. Loopholes are so fucking dumb with that shit, not to talk about meatglue usage in the restaurants in general.

(I'm danish but I am very nerdy when it comes to cooking).

I also fish for eels during the spring in a nearby swap-ish area, crayfish with pots in the summer at my grandfathers summer house, pleices while crab-fishing during the summers. I'm lucky enough to have a big freezer I can stock up with a tonne of fish in the spring-summer season... Oh and I hunt in the fall! Pheasants, duck and deer to be precise. So I might come across as a bit snobby with food, but it's mainly because I care.

TL;DR: Imitation food is fine, "Mystery meat" is fine, as long as that shit don't claim to be the real thing.

Pic related

Pic related

The irony is that Im about to enjoy some sausage, an ancient venerated dish by the most god awful production imaginable. Yet no one complains about der wiener schnitzel.

I didnt know that about Kobe beef. Theres so much to learn about food distribution in America. There sure is a lot of legalese in 'big food'.

Also, you werent snobby at all. You care about facts in your passion and thats good and respectable. I am very jelly of all your hunting and fishing.

lel

I honestly suggest getting in to hunting and fishing, pot fishing is practically free seafood once you got a license to do it (I don't know if you need a license in the US). You can get some decent pots for like 20$ and you just put in leftover meat like fat trims and such and leave it out over night, I know in the UK there's some local muncipals that'll pay you to do it due to an invasive crayfish species, which is pretty taste when eaten with butter sauce and lemon juice.

i don't care about where you come from, i care about how un fucking funny you are.

>absurdity

just fuck off and enjoy your (you)s already

That sounds awesome. I am stuck in a city but I could sneak out sometimes. The city is close to a lake in the northeast; I should look into what you say. The lake itself is not so far.

Off for my sausage now. Many thanks again for the insights and thoughtful discussion, I do appreciate it. Have a great weekend!

You too, enjoy your sausage.

dailyhealthpost.com/7-reasons-to-stop-eating-fake-crab-surimi/

No thanks. Clearly there are some concerns with the identifiable ingredients, let alone those that are listed under the general term "artificial flavorings." Bottomline, why would I subject myself to this vast array of industrial chemicals when there is no legitimate reason to do so? If I want crab flavor I'll buy crab. If I can't afford crab, I'll eat some other meat or fish that hasn't been fucked up.

A big problem with people is they accept this garbage because it's cheap, when in fact they could be eating minimally processed meat or fish for the same or less money.

Oh, and you talk like a faggot which confirms my stereotype of /pol/.

cringe

needing attention this fucking bad. 12 year old girl confirmed

Everything about OP and his post is cringe

Cuck

it's all LIES, man

now back to your basement board

Cringe

>/pol/
White people food is objectively the worst kind of food.

Sage, report, move on, it's not hard folks

It doesn't taste as good as crab but it does taste good.

c u c k

Neither, it's just a food product that maximizes sources for less loss and higher income.

Also, fuck off back to where you came from, turdburgler.

Tread carefully with such generalizations, idiot

>I hail from /pol
>>Hailing from anywhere on a Nebraska corn anonymous image board.....
Kys

Obvious false flag from a lefttard who got triggered by "racism" from other threads

Ignore thread.

>/pol/'s retardation shows through
>no please it isn't real please I'm not retarded

yeah whatever you say moron

>I don't suffer any nonsense, am unafraid of controversy and I dont care about your frailties

so what you're saying is that you're insecure when someone calls you out on your bullshit

>like what's his deal man?
It's her deal. She travels across land to lay eggs in the ocean. Every time a wave hits her, she shakes herself to release her eggs into the water. It's some South American crab. They migrate to the ocean by the millions.

Yeah, he enjoys living in his echo chamber of bullshit.

Good when I want to make a couple of crab-wiches. Or some cheap sushi.

c r I n g e

Nobody cares what board you're from, faggot.
Imitation crab meat has it's place. It's good in shit like sushi where you can't get good crab meat. No replacement for actual crab tho.

I need about 300lbs of it.

McDonald's tier garbage. Every now and then I see "seafood salad" at a deli and get it maybe once a year. Same as craving a big mac once in a great blue moon

I'm allergic to shellfish so imitation is the only thing I've eaten. Does it taste like the real thing at all?

no, retard. it tastes like ass.

It's all mental man.

In Japan it's known as kamaboko. Outside it's known as imitation crab. This fucks with the minds of class-obsessed Jew-brainwashed Westerners and perceive it as a cheap, poor-quality replacement of crab.

>In Japan it's known as kamaboko

among other things. There are countless other varieties beyond kamaboko.

I like it (whatever you want to call it), but I don't think it's a very accurate replacement of crab. It's tasty, sure. But it's not the same as actual crab.

this

the same people ragging on imitation crab are in the same category as the idiots asking how to cook rice

It has a similar if ersatz flavor, at least the dominate notes. The body has a curiously similar 'bite', which is deliberately engineered of course, and on that plus the flavor alone, it can pass as a 'homage'.

That said, the lighter notes are gone and the texture isn't terribly close.

Its a perfectly good concoction in its own right, even somewhat comical in a 'beef hot dog' sort of way, but isnt a replica.

Its difficult to compare because it is in fact fish, so you cant compare it to a higher grade of crab since it isnt crab.

Its also much more affordable and easier to make, though purists will use it as an opportunity to grandstand, as if crab itself is something terribly special.

I would say you are getting a good 75% of the 'real crab' experience, minus some flavor notes, a perfect texture and the aggravating task of have to separate actual crab from the shell

If it was called something else, people would see it as a novelty and say "wow this tastes a lot like crab'. But because its called 'imitation', the soi disant gourmands here will make a big deal out of it when no one else does.

>It has a similar if ersatz flavor, at least the dominate notes. The body has a curiously similar 'bite', which is deliberately engineered of course, and on that plus the flavor alone, it can pass as a 'homage'.
>That said, the lighter notes are gone and the texture isn't terribly close.
>Its a perfectly good concoction in its own right, even somewhat comical in a 'beef hot dog' sort of way, but isnt a replica.
>Its difficult to compare because it is in fact fish, so you cant compare it to a higher grade of crab since it isnt crab.
>Its also much more affordable and easier to make, though purists will use it as an opportunity to grandstand, as if crab itself is something terribly special.
>I would say you are getting a good 75% of the 'real crab' experience, minus some flavor notes, a perfect texture and the aggravating task of have to separate actual crab from the shell
>If it was called something else, people would see it as a novelty and say "wow this tastes a lot like crab'. But because its called 'imitation', the soi disant gourmands here will make a big deal out of it when no one else does.

>Canadafag here

We have seafood salad, and are simultaneously not the laughing stock of the world.

I like pollock. "Crab salad" is a backyard BBQ staple in the backwoods mining town I'm from. I like it in homemade maki as well.

>I hail from /pol/
Kill yourself.