Is everyman's library basically the best edition of a book you could buy?

Is everyman's library basically the best edition of a book you could buy?

Certainly not but they are very nice if you can afford it or if you find them cheap.

>cheap and hardback

Yes they're good

my school library has a lot of these.

pretty much lad

The covers are all terrible.

they're not great, but for the money you really can't find a better copy

They're not great?

For general reading, possibly - though translation factor can throw a wrench in that. But they tend to be pretty bare on notes/annotations and the intros are often admiring fluff by another writer rather than something even lightly scholarly. Sometimes even the cheaper paperback penguin and oxford can be better on both those fronts and more often than not there's a 'more scholarly' edition available from a university press or the like. That only matters if that's what you're looking for though.

No. They don't always have the best translation, and they rarely have the best supplementary materials.

They look good on a shelf and they're cheap. That's the best thing they have going for them.

Can someone please tell me if the binding on these books is sewn or glued?

The ones without the authors' faces stippled on are good, but otherwise, yes

I like all their covers

everyman's library editions often have a picture of the author on the cover which I don't like. i dislike it because usually the author is ugly as shit- most are- but also i don't want to know what authors look like if im new to them

lol it;s glued to all fuck

everyman's lib is shit

>tfw no everyman Gravity's Rainbow

Literally someone in another thread told me they're sewn.

>that picture
I gotta have that

Like the other user said, the ones with the authors on them suck, but some of their covers are really good, like The Count of Monte Cristo or The Idiot

It's very rare to fine sewn bindings anymore. They are much more bulky and expensive.

Everyman's edition of The Count of Monte Cristo uses the old 1846 anonymous translation. Buy the Penguin Classics one for the new Robin Buss translation.

they're sewn. just got tolstoys stories vol 2 in the mail yesterday. sewn as all fuck, as are all my everymans.

They're sewn

Fuck that cover makes me want to read Gravity's Rainbow.

I call bullshit. Just because it has a cloth super doesn't mean it's sewn. Post proof.

eh

good old Marky Mark got off pretty good, that's a nice looking book if you ask me

>I call bullshit
Fuck off cunt. Nobody cares what you think.

>Just because it has a cloth super doesn't mean it's sewn. Post proof.
Google that you dumb shit.

Proof posted: none.