Discuss Lolita

How is it that other characters don't recognize how socially inept Humbert is? Humbert acts like a total sperg and for some reason, no one ever talks about it.
How would one successfully write a comedic version of Lolita? Surely it would have to be satire. How would you do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lolita
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's an european intellectual who quotes in French, I think people kind of expect him to be a sperg.
Idk about your satire version of Lolita, child fucking does not lend itself to a lot of comedic value

You don't think anyone could successfully write a comedy about a pedophile?

Of course you can, but I don't think that a lot of people would find it funny

That's very true. Has there ever been a mainstream successful dark humor comedy? I can't seem to think of any.

>implying Lolita isn't a comedy

>being unaware Lolita is a comedy

I'm lmaoing at ur lives

Just started Lolita, at page 21 now.

What am I in for? Except aches and soiled underpants

good looks and halo effect

expect beautiful language and lots of french

I just skip the french though, kinda like I skipped the Spanish in Blood Meridian.(well I kinda try to figure out the meaning quickly if there are any words similar to those I know in other languages then move on)

How fucked am I?

that's what i did, u should be fine

Never gonna make it I'm afraid

I mean more so if a comedy, one meant for normies. Clearly, Lolita is comedical commentary on the autism of people who act on their pedophilic urges.
As I wrote above. The conciquences of kidnapping your soiled teenage girlfriend.

>descriptions of skin
>poplar trees
>posturing
>insufferable lists of cities
>legitimate humor
>comfy times
>not comfy times
>my diary desu
>flowery words
>qt
>FEELINGS

Here is a page which helps with vocabulary including French.
en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lolita
It is incomplete, but it helped me while reading.

>what is an unreliable narrator
Read more literature, fag.

Kubrick's film version is already more of a comedy, it even has Peter Sellers impersonating various characters.

Absolute heartbreak.

>How would one successfully write a comedic version of Lolita?
>he read it and didn't get it was a comedy
>even the book cover he posts in his OP says it's a comedy
Did you shut your brain when reading it? It even could already be considered a satire of Poe's creepy romances. Did't you read Annabel Lee and the fact that pretty much the entire novel is a reference to it?

are there any other books like lolita preferably with no overt sex scenes

I know he's and unreliable narrator. He's the KING of unreliable narrators, but there still is zero indication that anyone realizes he's a dipwad aside from Lo later on, and whenever Lolita is brought up in discussion, people fight me over him being a dilussional autist. I'm just saying that even with an unreliable narrator, there could have been other ways to suggest that characters recognize Humburt is off, but that isn't done so I assume most characters don't recognize it. It's just like how in real life people can be completely oblivious that the person they are talking too is a bit handicapped in the social skills department. You don't need to be so rude.
I meant as a more apparent comedy. I thought Lolita was rather humorous, but the general public doesn't get that. I meant as a blatant dumbed down comedy.

The thing is nothing Humbert describes can be taken at face value. He never wastes any time to compliment himself on his handsome European looks, or his intellect. He probably isn't aware at all that people might see him a little off, and if he was he probably would conviniently omit it from his confession. That being said, there are characters that do seem to sense something wrong with Humbert, like the nurse that helps Lolita. Also remember, he was a foreigner, they often get a pass for their weird behaviour because they are from different cultures, the novel states as much.

>tfwhen ur so much of an autist u didn't realize what was wrong with h.h.

there was nothing wrong with him tbqh

not bad advice desu

honestly there's nothing particularly wrong with being into 14 year olds

Hardly anything in terms of events, but that's because we're seeing the sauve HH he wants us to. The only time he's a sperg in the novel is when his wife is leaving in the earlier parts.

I think one of Lolita's great achievements is its ability to make Humbert lifelike in this aspect. In real life too some people come off as creepy to some and not to others, and Humbert is the same way. Nabokov writes with such subtlety so that HH is not forcefully or clearly a sperg character.

This could be a reflection of Nabokov himself, the intellectual (therefore self-conscious of sounding as pretentious as he often writes Humbert to be) and the pervert. Through Humbert and through fiction perhaps there is a glimpse of how Nabokov truthfully imagines his own perversions.

The Lilliad. Wiki it.

Humbert acts like a sperg the entire novel though

She was 12, not 14.

She's not one age
12 at the beginning, then 13,14, and at the end 17

She was 12 when he became infatuated with her and when he fucked her.

The man seemed more obsessed about poplar trees than lolita at times.

Kek. Lolita was the first piece of literature that I read out of my own motivation and at the time I had not heard of poplar treers being called by that word. I thought I wouldn't need to know it and read over half the book before I finally caved in and looked up the definition.

there's a wikipedia page with all the french, latin, german, etc translated

who gives a fuck, just read it discuss the actualy themes and topic of the book instead of how old lolita fucking was, shes a kid thats all that matters, jeesus fucking christ

This, I was kekking while reading it

The first time Humbert notices the guy following him and Loli is only mentioned offhandedly. Like "and there Steve was driving behind us again". His name want Steve but the point is it was just mentioned casually like that as if it had been mentioned before. But it isn't mentioned before at all anywhere in the book.

I never understood the point of that

You know he repeatedly says that he's quite good looking in the movie star kind of way. So that's how he gets away with a lot and also why Lolita is intrigued by him in the first place. Add to that the European intellectual flair and it's really not far fetched to see how he can get away with a lot of weird behavior. Also he's not that inept.

You're just going to watch some guy become completely delusional, ruin a girl's life and read a lot about the American countryside and car trips. It's not lewd unless you're a particular sadist.

Because you're an idiot and this was probably the first time you read a book because you started lurking Veeky Forums in hopes of finding a hobby that could put you above others so you went out and picked that book you always see mentioned so much, that surely must be a good way to get started on your great, new life.

Humbert Humbert reminds me of Dexter Morgan from Dexter. Super smart crime spreeing guy out smarting everyone he meets.

She was 12 when she manipulated Humbert into fucking her

Upvoted. :)

Keep in mind it's his recollection you are reading. This is a guy fairly reserved in his social persona but with a very active vivid imagination. He's also a foreigner so he gets away with quirky behavior more. But my depiction of him is not him actually acting very quirky. More subdued and a little distant. Not emotional at all on the outside. Decently good-looking at least and definitely well dressed.

That's actually some good input, thanks user

Her young age is the only reason the book is of any interest or importance. When people start saying she's a teenager and that "hurrr 14 year olds can be hot" it diminishes the meaning and trivializes the entire story.

There is also The Enchanter,an earlier version of Lolita,with more disturbing imagry,but ends far more realistically...

Doritos, light of my life, cheese on my fingers. My hunger, my munchies. Do-ree-toes: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Do. Ree. Tos. It was chips, plain chips, during lunch, weighing one-point-eight ounces in one hand. It was Nacho Cheese for snacks. It was Cool Ranch at school. It was Salsa Verde in the shopping line. But in my mouth it was always Doritos.

Catch-22