/comc/ Day 7 - The Count of Monte Cristo read-through

Chapters 26 through 30

I'm kinda busy at the moment. Will post some topics for discussion soon. If anybody has some they would like to add then go ahead.

Also tfw you are making decent progress in a doorstopper.

>Ebooks and audiobook
mega.nz/#F!NIcBwCYL!ZZo5gGqjat1yL_-RkuzZFw

>Previous thread

Joining in, will try to catch up.

Ok. OP is back. Here are some topics for discussion:

What do Dantes' various disguises mean in relation to the actions he carries out while using them?

Is Caderousse deserving of his reward?

Is Dantes content in being unknown to Morrel as his saviour?

What role does Dantes see himself carrying out?

Based OP is based

>Dantes' various disguises
Dantes came to Calderousse as a priest to draw a comparison to the sacrament of reconciliation. Dantes listens to his confession and absolves him of his "sins".
I couldn't find any deeper meaning to why Dantes came to Morrel as an investor other than that it was a good disguise.

>Caderousse's reward
Cadderousse is an interesting character. He had the potential of being an excellent person, if he wasn't stifled by his greed and envy. He deserves his reward even if he didn't take any action to help Dantes. His recognition of his poor choices and confession make up for his mistakes.

>What role does Dantes see himself carrying out?

He's seeing himself as the divine Providence that was absent when he was unjustly sentenced.

Anyone else think Abbe Faria was one of the coolest characters they've ever read?

Absolutely, I thought it was ridiculous that Dantes still doubted his sanity after the abbe entrusted him with the location of the treasure

I fell behind the schedule yesterday - trying to catch up with you guys today.

Daily reminder that we're about 20% through with this doorstopper. Keep it up folks!

If we'd read the abridged we'd be more than halfway through!

Still two days behind but

>dat tunnel bromance
>dat father figure
>dat hiding in the shroud
>dat being thrown into the water tied to a cannonball

thing is thing is fun as fuck

fuggg
how screwed am i if i try to start now

Why does Dumas keep referring him as Edmond at one time and Dantes another? Is there any significance that I'm missing? The inconsistency is troubling my autism a lot.

First name: Edmond, last name: Dantes,middle name: revenge

Edmond "thundercock savage" Dantes :^)

Seriously tho, just keep it to either first name or last name, Dumas. He keeps switching like every other paragraph it's driving me nuts.

You'd have to really get on that grind but we're not that far into it

Not at all m8. It might be a few days before you can join us but this is a book you can really blitz through. Pretty entertaining desu.

fuck it, i'm doing it

it's been sitting on my shelf for a while

even if i can't catch up w/ you guys it shouldn't stop me from reading it

that is the spirit

honestly I would read a whole doorstopper of them together in the dungeons just talking and planning escape.

Will we have a catch up day?
I think it would be good.

Them planning escapes would be awesome.

From the responses to a poll the other day it seemed like most people were doing OK. Only 1 response from someone who was catching up.

However that was closer to Christmas and the thread was slightly dead then. I'll make a new poll at the start of tomorrow's thread so we can take into account new interest. If enough people need to catch up I'll make a new chart and slap in some catch up days.

You would hate russian literature

Oy satan, I did my yearly re-read two months ago.

Just finished today's reading. Damn that M.Morrel episode makes me emotional.

>Dantes various disguises
Confession and honesty to Caderousse, generosity to Morrel. I also noticed he went through different nationalities as well - Spanish sailor, Italian priest, and English investigator. The narrator seems to ascribe different characters to each race - for example Fernand being unthoughtful Spanish, Caderousse being southern party animal, etc. Maybe that's what Dantes understand from being a sailor who deals with people of different races superficially.

This book has so much genius in it. It reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. The idea of using the diamond to pit Caderousse against the other 3 is so cerebrally elegant.

>new thread