How much of your own food do you grow?

How much of your own food do you grow?

like 0% my dude

none because im not a poorfag and can just go buy that shit at the store

In the summer I grow 10 to 12 tomato and basil plants and I eat every shred of food they produce. Besides that though, nothing else. I'd like to get better about it. In the fall I may try son lettuce or brocolli. other cool weather veg. I have wild rabbits around my place and they attack everything else I've ever tried. I need to put up so.e fencing...

I grow some peppers and a few herbs. Not like a major garden.

Thai chilies though...you could grow that shit on Mt. Everest. Those things love to grow. It's almost retarded how fast they grow.

A good amount. I grow potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, beets, corn, zucchini. I have a couple apple trees, and a peach tree too. Tastes a lot better than the stuff from the store. It's a lot of work, but there's tons of food if everything goes well.

I've always hunted, but started a garden this year. Probably get a decent 10% maybe a bit more if I get into canning. Thinking of getting some chickens too now.

I used to grow onions but they kept getting torn up by dogs.

>not a poorfag
>owns no productive land
Try harder wagecuck. Lemme guess $55k salary?

the kind of stuff you grow on your own soil is better than store-bought produce by an order of magnitude.

not if you're bad, have bad soil, or bad growing conditions

I have a small lemon tree if that counts
I use a lot of lemons

first year in a new house, growing in ground and in containers.

Growing 5 different tomatoes, 4 different peppers, 2 beans, kale, romaine, carrots, spearmint, italian oregano, genovese sweet basil, lemon thyme, lemongrass, garlic, celery, turmeric, green onion, edimame, a meyer lemon tree and a cascade hop plant.

Some succulents, flowers and a geranium.

I don't have any form of yard where I live. Don't even have a window that gets good sunlight so a window garden wouldn't work well either.

I might be able to grow mushrooms in the basement. Haven't tried it.

This is my first year tending to a garden since I was a teenager. Been moving between apartments for several years so the best I could muster was regrowing scallions in a jar of water by the window since I use the fuck out of them.

Don't have high hopes it will turn out well but I wanna have some fun with it. Got carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, cayenne, mint, and cilantro (which I hope to harvest some coriander from as well).

It saddens me that /out/ is as close to a gardening board than we'll ever get.

I have fenced in my front yard with a seven-foot barrier and converted it entirely into a vegetable garden. It's important to note that between growing seasons a vegetable garden just looks feral and I didn't want complaints from the neighbours about it being an eyesore.

I am in the process of 'food-scaping' my entire little urban block. The trees have been replaced with fruit trees and bamboo. For the love of God, if you're going to garden you have to grow your own bamboo. You will always need it to stake your tomatoes, and build teepee trellises for beans and pumpkins to climb if you're short on space like I am. 'Old hamii' bamboo is what I grow - it is strong and it produces edible corms.

As my place is at the moment I go for almost three quarters of the year without needing to buy vegetables. This is what I have plotted out in the front yard at the moment in my subtropical climate this winter. Each square is just under a meter square.

I just help my grandparents a bit and get some produce in return. They've got a bunch of apple and pear trees, a quince and a cherry tree, different kinds of lettuce, arugula, tomatoes, thyme/rosemary/chives/tarragon/parsley/basil, 3 kinds of potatoes, redcurrant/whitecurrant/bilberry/blackberry, rhubarb, leeks, green beans, spinach.

I suppose they do what they can with Belgian weather.

>55k is bad

is this a meme or are you from commiefornia where a nigger shack costs 30 million dollars?

labeling your garden...what? do you forget what a pumpkin looks like? or perhaps corn has eyes now too?

I only have a box planter on my balcony with oregano, rosemary, parsley, and thyme. I got them as a test to see if they got enough sun. It's also very windy as I'm on the 29th floor. They have grown in quite well and are very green so i'm very excited.

this is really awesome, user!
why the flowers though? do you sell them, or just like flowers?

who the fuck voluntarily plants bamboo on their own property. There's no chance that being able to make trellises from it outweighs the back breaking effort required to deracinate a bamboo infestation.

nvm i didnt read that it was oldhamii bambo, disregard

Any chance of a picture?

I know what all of my plants look like, but I have to plan ahead because some plants grow well when they are planted next to each other and some will actually compete with each other, leading to a reduction in produce (SEE 'Companion Planting').
Then there is crop rotation to consider (pic related) where certain plants do well when planted after a specific crop has grown in that spot the season beforehand.

Flowers attract pollinators, but the flowers I've chosen are considered 'beneficial weeds' and are also edible.
Nasturtium leaves and flowers are edible (some people find them too tough and peppery) and repel certain garden pests and diseases.
French marigolds are supposed to deter pests such as nematodes and their flowers can be ground into a paste that has a pleasant earthy flavour, which is utilised mainly in Ethiopian cuisine.
Cornflower is used in tea blends, but its major importance is that pollinating insects really notice their bright, blue flowers.
Poppies give poppyseeds and potent alkaloids for the production of analgesics such as opium and heroin, and if you have the know-how, morphine.

Except for the cow half and milk I get from my neighbor, everything.

Two small raised beds. One is herbs - rosemary, sage, oregano, basil, parsley, chives. The other is tomatoes and peppers. I also have garlic growing in a pot on the patio.

about the same but I don't see the point of growing oregano. It's much better dried.

I wish I could but I'm currently a student...

Get a ferret, it'll kill/scare off the rabbits.

I live in an apartment with a small patio. So, I have herbs (chives, thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley), one cherry tomato plant, one heirloom tomato plant, one chile de arbol plant, a blackberry bush, and a brandywine raspberry bush. That's pretty much all my patio can handle.

That's objectively false in dozens of ways.

>mushrooms in basement

reminds me of a pic in the shitposting folder on my desktop, it's called cum_towel_mushrooms.jpg :^)

Bost bls :^)

I agree that bamboo makes wonderful supports. Here we're using it as supports for a netting barrier against deer and on the right a cross support for tomatoes.

i have a small garden, maybe 30 feet by 10 feet. I plant lots of herbs and tomatoes. Get so much. And local, fresh tomatoes are expensive, so growing own really makes sense. Tastes great too

>crop rotation

Crop rotation is undoubtedly the most important thing a person can do to maintain soil fertility and reduce insect pests and disease. I go further than your pic, however, and rotate based on the plant family. For example, I won't plant brassicas where they've grown in the last 3 years. I also try to follow up heavy nitrogen feeders with legumes to help replenish nitrogen.

babbys first container garden

planted a random tomato, serrano peppers, snap peas, rosemary lavender sweet basil lemon thyme and an orange mint

I just started a windowbox of basil - hoping to get enough to have a regular supply of pesto. Just planted a chili seed, we'll see how it does.

Nice, what's with the cover, though?

It's a self watering container that feeds from the bottom up so you need some sort of cover or mulch to keep off the water / evaporation (according to the instructions anyway)

pour water in that tube in the bottom left every few days

Huh, nice.

My uncle lived a couple hours outside the city, so he had the land to grow veg. Every summer I'd visit him and help out with his awesome garden for some of the produce. It was only when I was about 16 that I realized I was a sharecropping slave but it was worth it desu, that stuff was delicious.

if i remember in the morning I will take one. It's pretty basic, just a planter box with 4 herbs in it aha. Nothing too special.

I'd like to do a lot more but it's approaching winter here in Australia and while it doesn't get too cold where I'm at, it gets extremely windy and I'm afraid anything I put outside will be slam dunked by high winds. Either way I'd like to get tomatoes of some kind but I'm not sure which route to take for just a small balcony.

The upside is you get next to no insects or pests at 29 floors.

>It saddens me that /out/ is as close to a gardening board than we'll ever get
Have you just never gone to or something?

It's objectively true. Store-bought veggies are genetically modified and grown in such a way that they get very large very quickly so that they can pump out produce to the markets. They don't spend enough time in the soil (many just come from hydroponics too) nor enough time in the sunlight to mature into proper flavor. That's why the fruits and veggies you get in the stores are always so acidic as opposed to sweet. Plants need a lot of time to convert sunlight into complex sugars and you're just not going to find that with mass produced GMO plants.

0% because rentcuck
One day, as soon as I get a house with even the smallest yard, I'm going to grow all kinds of shit

I gave up because of SLUGS eating everything. and the local cats shitting in my vegetable patch. then I went for balcony chillies and fucking CROWS ate them all just as they were ripening.

Christ, you've been visited by more plagues than the egyptians in the old testament.

After I started my garden, my gf wanted to do her own at her apartment. After a month she got a letter telling her she could only have one plant. She talked to the manager, and she basically just told her to hide it better. She's growing an impressive amount, in fucking disposable serving trays.

Gardening is welcome in /an/. There is almost always a thread

nature hates me. my horse chestnut trees have a disease too.

and my other property is plagued by moles. but at least the walnut trees there produce all the walnuts I could ever need. but I don't need them. I might get them pressed into oil this year. that'll show those crows, moles and slugs who is boss.

If you set out saucers of the cheapest beer around your garden that helps control the slugs. Moles, you either have to trap or use poisoned bait, unfortunately. If there are a lot of them, they can wipe out a crop, so at some point you have to take action. Crows can be blocked with netting.

>55 thousand cloth parchments
>Owning a part of the planet if that if big enough with the right water quality can sustain you and you family indefinitley.

Sorry wagie i know you just paid rent but your next check is a free check yay!

I tried everything with slugs but not saucers of beer. last attempt was those copper strips that they don't like to slither over. they still fucked my shit up. and I think the crows or the family of foxes at the end of my garden would drink it.

the moles are annoying but I don't grow anything there. the fruit trees survive on their own. if I interfered I think things would get worse.

Thai, ghost, habanero, red savina, scotch bonnet, carolina reaper, jalapeno peppers and mint for mojitos, F A Malamadingdongs

I grow a handful of herbs, some romaine lettuce, and a little tomato plant on my Manhattan balcony. You can do it, Veeky Forums! Grow some herbs!

Fuck off, silver spoon faggot.

got pics or more details?

Not much. I live in a dense city so I just have herbs on the windowsill and tomatoes on the fire escape.

just herbs
When I get a yard I will grow some veggies though and keep chickens for eggies

this oldhamii bamboo doesn't spread?

Every summer I pick salmon berries and sometimes there is enough for a small tart. They pop in your mouth with a tangy bitterness that quickly fades. I feel like some hairless bigfoot eating them.

Any ideas for a cheap trellis? I want to grow some peas in a long planter box.

Wood + dirt + seeds.
Enjoy.

Peas grow spindly tall, I don't think they will be good for containers. I've been getting a good crop with a 4 foot trellis, but you can see in the pic they got damaged by a bad windstorm.

I just got my tomato plants into the ground. Also, yellow squash, cucumbers, and I'm trying watermelons.

Two years ago I planted some fruit trees. Peaches, two varieties of plums, two varieties of pears, and two varieties of cherries. Also, one lemon tree. Some require different varieties for pollination purposes. I've got probably 15 or so fruit trees altogether.

>finish planting seedlings in the garden
>inside washing hands at sink
>look out window towards garden
>...a rabbit.

None because I live in the woods and deer eat fucking EVERYTHING.

I need a fence.

Or a gun.

Buy a five gallon bucket from a store and plant a tomato.

You can put a cheap net around it; that's what we do. It just has to be around 8 ft tall. They brush into the net and freak. They don't go in. Rabbits are a different story. That's when live traps or just a well oiled .22 come into play.

Anyone ever had success with rooting powder? About to take a bunch of confederate jasmine cuttings

Hit or miss, but it usually helps.

It's cheap as hell, so no reason not to use it.

I personally use willow water. Two birds one stone that way.

Every damn year.

Why not just hunt the rabbits or set up traps?

Rabbit is delicious meat

Did you buy tomato saplings?
The stores load them with miracle gro to get them to selling height and the vegetables taste like fucking ass.
I hope you planted seeds. This tomato is about 50 days in.

Other tomatoes, had to use hard packed dirt, they're the same age but one is better. 35-40 Stalks between them.

Thanks for posting about growing food, this is the sort of thread I love to see on Veeky Forums!

I've never gardened significantly besides helping my parents out in childhood, but I've just set up a vegetable garden in my backyard and am waiting for the thread of frost to decrease to start planting (I live in northern midwest US).

I'm planning on tomatoes, beans, carrots, broccoli, and maybe some peppers, but I'll have to get some fencing to prevent rabbits. I'll try for some herbs in a planter outside my window too. Ever since seeing and I've been considering bamboo to use as supports and fences instead of scrap wood, but probably not this year.