Honey

does anyone else put honey on a ton of shit? i put honey on icecream, pizza, ham, salami, cheese and crackers, rice, macaroni, fried plantains, greek yogurt, any type of pastry, cereal, peanut butter, those tiny weenie things, and rice cakes. is there something wrong with me? why tf do i like honey so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2cfXphksZVA
youtube.com/watch?v=_my22GwFGgo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wouldn't it be interesting to go back in time and observe the very first human to discover how delicious honey is? How did that happen I wonder. Accident? Did he/she just stick their arm in there, pull it out, and give it a taste? lol.

They found honey in an Egyptian tomb that dated to around 1000BC or something, and it was still perfectly edible. Amazing stuff.

I only use it in my tea and when making certain marinades and sauces.

>DAE addicted to sugar????

Animals eat honey
Someone saw an animal doing it and decided to try it for himself

That's a bit obsessive on the Honey user, though I don't blame ya really

>Shave balls
Does anybody know how Brad is doing these days. Did he ever get to get back together with that sweet little biscuit of his?

Persian/North African cooking they toss in a ton of Orange Blossom honey in everything. If you live near an Iranian/"Persian" market then go in sometime and look at the honey selection it will have a gagillion varieties

Autism-level beekeeper here

keep putting honey in your foods, it's good for you, especially if it's raw honey. not too much tho, and stay away from cheap-as-hell department store "funny honey".

just lifted a bit moar than a quart from one of my overwintered colonies. Time to make some toast!!

>pic related

>inb4 "did you use flowhive" fuck off kek

Do you make your own mead mr. Apiarist?

No, I'm vegan :^)

Yea, I use honey in all kinds of stuff.

it takes a big part in my pizza as well, It's in the sauce, and also in the garlic salt butter brush thing I do on the outer crust

I like it in coffee.

Not usually on the agenda, generally normal jarred-honey just sells fast enough where I don't have any sitting around long enough to even think of it.

I did remove a rather large beehive from the wall of somebody's house last year, and lots of the honey was mixed up in their fiberglass insulation, and, although i was able to strain it all out, i figured it best not to sell it... I tried making mead out of that but it didn't turn out so good... next time I get a chance with some unmarketable honey on my hands, I'll give it another go.

I never understood why vegans were anti-honey, it's not like you need to hurt the bees by taking it, and often times bees will make so much honey that they ultimately doom themselves because the queen won't have any room to lay more eggs, causing the population to dwindle. Taking honey from honey-bound colonies helps save the bees, vegans should be all over that.

Because vegans are stupid. Honey farming is pretty much the most "mutually beneficial" form of animal farming there is.

For the same reason they're anti-breastfeeding: An IQ a few standard deviations below that of raw hamburger.

Yeah I don't get why so many people put it in tea but not coffee

>they're anti-breastfeeding
wut, are you exaggerating?

>visit Savannah for fall break
>go to Savannah Bee Company store in River Street
>try the honeycomb and cheese taste sampler on display
>among the most delicate food combinations I've ever tasted
Honey totally deserves the praise it receives, not only in food but in candles and cosmetics. We can't afford to keep losing more bees.

Absurd is the most generous description since the failure of people to raise honeybees would result in the failure of almost half the vegetable crops. Suicidal is the most accurate description. But I've always suspected vegans of having a masochistic streak in their makeup, so it may be consistent.

I had a nut job teacher that bragged about how her parents gave her carrot juice instead of milk as an infant. She was 4 feet tall and had a deformed claw hand.

Damn, I thought this was going to be one of those wierd student/teacher fetish stories but then you just dropped it

holy shit my mom got a juicer when i was like 7 or 8 and she would juice carrots and celery and try to force me and my sister to drink it... dark days i tell ya... dark days

I use it to sweeten my coffee instead of sugar. Tastes better.

Honey's good, that's why. I don't put it on that much shit, but most stuff that calls for sugar, I often replace with honey nowadays.

What's honeycomb like? I see it sometimes in jars of honey and I really want to pull one out and take a big bite.

so good

It spreads like warm butter, absolutely fantastic

just bought 12lbs of honey but realized my carboy is 7gal so i need another 12lbs fuck the price of honey man

Damn I went through the same thing, every morning for years I had to drink carrot juice. Made such a big fucking deal about me choking down a glass of orange diarrhea every morning just to look the other way when I binged on junk food and got fat as shit. Wish my family had been a little less ignorant on nutrition to be honest.

It's literal solidified bee's vomit.

You fucking fat piece of shit.

>You'll never travel the country with your qt wife gently removing beehives from people's houses and teaching their kid about the wonders of nature

youtube.com/watch?v=2cfXphksZVA

Honey is not good for you. It's pure sugar.

It's got about 75% sugar, but yeah, it has no appreciable amounts of nutrients.

bee bro. how to get started with bees? what time of year is best and how to do it cheap?

>Americans don't even get real honey

I would start by ordering either package bees or a nucleus colony - packages are usually sold out by January so your best bet this year would be to order a nuc. Most dealers will be selling them through July.

Best way to learn how to do it is to take a class or find a bee keeper who will let you work with them. ofc if you're antisocial like i am you could just watch youtube videos, join beekeeping facebook groups, and learn that way. first year or two will be the most expensive since you will be buying all the equipment you need, but as long as you don't fall for the flowhive your equipment should last 10+ years and set you back less than 300 bucks... you could try and catch a wild swarm of bees (may is swarm season) that would shave off the 150 you'd be paying for the nuc...

don't expect much honey in your first year, if any... colonies that make it thru the winter are honey producing machines tho

good luck :-D

>Most Americans don't even get real honey

FTFY

Juicers are fucking stupid. Just blend the shit people you're leaving behind the nutrients.

Thank you brother

Fuck you guys, I've spent the last 3 hours watching beekeeping videos on youtube.

That was my weekend. I guess it was ok.

>3 hour weekend

that does suck, sorry about that bro... talk to the union

>why are vegans retarded?
Because they are mentally ill and deserve to be put in front of a firing squad.

Would have gotten shitty at bees for stinging him, followed some to their nest, smashed the fuck out of the nest and either got honey on him or saw it and decided to try it. Alternatively was looking for insect larvae to eat and came across a bee hive

I'm more interested in the guy that decided to eat that little white thing that falls out of a chickens ass

And to make things more interesting, the first alcoholic drink humanity discovered was almost certainly mead. Where else could early humans get that much sugar before agriculture?

Honey bees are amongst our oldest companions and resources, and they play a critical role in the environment as well. The day the last bee dies will be the day our own demise begins as well.

The same logic they employ to condemn cow's milk, despite dairy cows being selectively bred to the point where milking is a life-or-death matter for them. Indeed, a lot of domestic animals simply can't cut it without us anymore.

We can't undo that, so we might as well make use of it and improve their quality of life in the process while reforming farming standards. That's a far better deal than most life gets on this side of the universe.

honey is the lowest impact sweetener we can choose, to the point that it helps the environment around it and the bees are safe, and happy

all of my vegan friends get this, but i've been good at helping them understand as a future beekeeper

>get honey from local bee keeper
>enjoy quick delicious everything snacks for a few weeks
>it solids up
>takes too long to liquify in hot water to work for quick snacks anymore

fug

Seeing how we are tropical creatures we probably first got alcohol the way tropical animals do it in the wild. Fruits that have gone bad and have fermented on the tree.
I have gotten drunk on fermented mangos once in Indonesia, and this was a small semi-wild mango without the insane sweetness and sugar level you find in the domestic breeds. You can have the same happening in apples and have moose and deer get drunk on eating them from the tree and ground.
Most likely the first controlled alcohol came from trying to control the fermentation of fruit to achieve the same effect as they did by binging on overly ripe fruits off the trees.

This makes sense thinking about that scene in The Good Dinosaur.
>youtube.com/watch?v=_my22GwFGgo

bees

Seems like a mess to harvest, and you'd destroy the hive. Who seriously imagines themselves getting into beekeeping with a couple mason jars?

I eat a peanut-butter and honey sandwich every day. And I put honey on my chicken stir fry.

>why tf do I like honey so much?

You're a bee, a beeposter. Explains why bees are disappearing, you found Veeky Forums, became losers, and why on /r9k/ about not having a qtb queen.

Honey is fucking delicious, user. I keep a jar from my local apiary on my counter at all times. Whenever I get the urge I just have a spoonful or two.

how do you check if there are still larva in

i like to eat salad with pure honey as a dressing

microwave it for 30 seconds without the lid on, liquids easily.

bee keepers use what's called a "queen excluder" this is a grid of metal you place between the boxes of a beehive - workers can fit thru, but not the queen. therefore on the queen side of the excluder, you will have all your brood/larva ect. above the queen excluder, all there will be is workers, therefore only honey and pollen to be had. if this beek was smart he installed the jar board above the excluder. otherwise you just separate the queen out of the area you wish to harvest, and wait 21-23 days for all remaining brood to hatch out, then commence with the harvesting

>How did that happen I wonder.

I would assume by watching other animals.

Have you been having an unusual amount of swarms the past few weeks?

But don't you understand by now that they are mentally ill?

They stopped chemtrailing 20 days ago for no apparent reason. Surely you'll see an increase in wildlife now. People are wising up to P&G's poisoning of american citizens too, the bees should make a comeback.

no not in my area, i don't usually get swarm calls either since no website ect, but i did stop my own bees from swarming by splitting the hives, now everyone is happy and healthy, no overcrowding of the hives and about 70 lbs of honey will be ready in a week or two from my older hives. such a good year so far last year was pitiful production because of mega drought.

I guess I knew that to begin with, but usually they tend to try and justify their criticism of other people enjoying animal products (milk is murder, why dont you save a cow, ect) but never anything about why people shouldn't eat honey.

Are you the autist that also posts on /k/

Is it true if you eat too much honeycomb, you'll get really bad shits.

there's lots of autists there, but last time i visited /k/ was 20...12? so either you have a very good memory or i'm not the same guy lol

i think if you eat too much anything, you get really bad shits

There was another self proclaimed autistic beekeeper on /k/ who had a bear problem and wired up his hives with an electric fence to keep out the bears.

I don't remember how long ago that was, I've been here too long.

Bears are a problem, and have been in my area before, and a lot of other bee keepers have urged me to build or buy an electric fence, but I've yet to take the plunge. I probably will if my bee yard gets disturbed by bears, but luckily no raids yet.

I think in order to get truly obsessed with beekeeping, you're probably a little closer on the spectrum to rainman than your average joe, so there's a lot of us out there hah

>filename

I had a classmate in law school whose wife was a vegan. They had a toddler, and the wife insisted on a vegan diet at home. The three-year-old vegan kid was about the same size as the neighbor's one-year-old baby.

>What's honeycomb like?

Chewy, at least at first. I don't enjoy it because after a few minutes, the beeswax solidifies and starts flaking.

>It's literal solidified bee's vomit.

No it isn't, the wax is generated by their exoskeleton and gets scraped off it.

do you think a modern human was just wandering around and bit into a honeycomb one day? you don't think that lesser, way shittier mammals ate honeycomb a million years before humans?

kek, what is the thought process in that little cranium of yours, son?

im gonna try a recipe from ancient rome for scrambled eggs with honey and pepper. look it up: apicius. honey, milk, oil, eggs, black pepper. no salt. sounds really interesting.

fuck that. pure sugar is natures perfect food. try surviving in a hospital gurney without glucose.

I'm vegan but eat honey if it's local and done in a way that benefits the environment and the bee population.

I have to put 5 tablespoons of honey for it to sweeten any tea effectively, even when I'm melting it in boiling water. This makes me feel like using is sugar is better because 2 teaspoons of sugar sweetens the whole cup. Am I doing something wrong? I love honey flavor but I hate using half a jar every time I want to make it useful.

Yeah I agree user, going To miss the bees.

this vegan gets it

Vegetarianism is already a perversion of natural law. If the sunken eyes and cancer looming bodies of its adherents weren't enough for you already, you should ha e figured it out upon hearing that babies sow with breast milk from non animal eating mothers. Humans are predators plain and simple. An animal lover wouldnt tell a lion to starve, nor should they ask the same of a human.

Butnthat takes a backseat to vegans. By the time you are smoking that virtue signal meth called veganism, you are ignoring plainly obvious signs of suffering. A cow unmilked is in pure pain. Milking is a release. Denying this is a sin upon God. And I doubt bees miss their honey, as they are the spics of the insect world. Give them space to farm and they will humm their dumbass repetitive music to themselves all day long. They probably watch soccer when we're not looking, and rape women and shit. Plus they like everything way too sweet. We should just call them "winged ecuadorians" is what we should do.

*babies die with breast milk from non animal eating mothers

>I love honey flavor but I hate using half a jar every time I want to make it useful
Get a bigger jar

>professionals in suits
>kids around not covered in anything
>both handling honey comb

I'm confused.

Hear me out Veeky Forums

My father, uncle, and I all go hunting a lot and up north we usually stop at the last mcds before the wilderness for a quick bite. Uncle gets nuggets. With honey on the side.

>thatsnotright.jpg

I try one because why the hell not. Turns out out it tastes better on the nuggets than any of their sauces. Eat it. It's damn good.

There's a reason why they offer it as a sauce

They never tell you it's a sauce when you ask what the sauce options are, and when you do ask for it the employee goes, "uhhhh, okay". It's definitely packaged for the breakfast menu.

>five tablespoons of honey for a cup of fucking tea

HOLY SHIT NIGGER