New to Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I'm brand new to these parts, and not familiar with the culture.

Please clue me in on the local memes, customs and etiquette. In return I dump OC from my foodie trips to Japan and parts of Europe.

Pork katsu with "melted egg"

Fried chicken cartilage.

Grilled eel

Starbucks drink on left has some banana malt balls and shit in it.

post more pics with grils in them :3

>Please clue me in on the local memes

>The more disgusting the food, the more karma you will get
>Everyone loves the McChicken
>Threads with the name of one food in the title are the top tier of Veeky Forums
It's a pretty dead board, don't expect too much culture

Starchy

Growing up Katsu, and then Katsudon the next day were my favorite meals. I always asked for them on special occasions. My seconds favorite dish was probably Curry rice.

Now my favorite childhood meals are weeb foods, fucking weebs.

Hi, Veeky Forums newfag. Welcome to our wonderful and sometimes-shitty board! Here's some tips:
>don't start America vs. Europe threads, those suck and are only good for /int/-tier shitposting. (Be aware of "Does America/Europe/Tajikistan really x?" threads)
>tipping threads are also basically going to devolve into us vs. them shitposting
>mentioning Chicago deep dish pizza in any capacity is going to be taken as a meme, and it will be hard to steer the topic seriously
>people here tend to call food trends or popular foods "meme foods" because Veeky Forums is usually counter-culture and contrarian, don't take it seriously or personally
>there seems to be a great divide in American food culture over Urban vs. Rural (coasties vs flyovers) getting roped into that is a waste of energy
>mentioning veganism (and to a much-lesser extent, vegetarianism) will pretty much derail the thread and inspire deep hatred from everyone involved while convincing nobody to change their opinions
>there's generally always an alcoholic thread up, but if you want to actually talk about how alcohol tastes, make a new thread
>OC is pretty much always a good idea, good start on that, btw

Some memes:
>Ja/ck/ posting - some fat fuck with a youtube channel that puts out embarrassingly bad videos of him attempting to cook basic food in earnest
>'go'za - Chicago deep dish
>for me, it is the McChicken - from some serious food reviewer that claims the McChicken is the best fast food sandwich
>ReviewBrah - some fag who reviews junk food on youtube
>various Gordon Ramsay/Alton Brown shit
>old memes - milk steak & jelly beans, dessert ramen, WA LA!. chicken nugger, general Guy Fieri bullshit, etc.

Have fun, user! There's lot more I'm forgetting out, and I'm sure someone will point that out

Curry you say?

Noted, thanks.

Rolled egg, slathered in some type of soy wash. So much unexpected flavor

Soba from a fucking 7-11

It was New year's and everything was shut down. It was surprisingly fresh, tasty, and cheap as fuck.

Takoyaki.

Japanese meme food. Still good though

How about stirring the pot.

Local flavor--its a croquet burger. Better than the McChicken.

Curly fries? At McDonald's?

oh god this thread

so hungry

How bout a big bowl of ramen?

The bowl to the side is egg over rice and pork

Ramen is cheap and delicious almost everywhere.

And I am a whore for egg over rice

I have questions Veeky Forums

1) Is tripfagging rampant on this board, or is Anonymous legion here?

2) is Veeky Forums more restaurant food or in home cooking?

I can't think of a single tripfag. A couple people namefag but mostly it's anonymous.

the return of "food pics from japan"

Home cooking and fast food

not really rampant but there are some namefags that are regulars/contribute. there's also anons who you can tell apart by their gimmicks or threads. Veeky Forums is generally one of the more chill boards so no one really bats an eye outside of newfags.

Thanks user. Have a drink. Yuzu liqueur

In response to this - there are essentially two kinds of Veeky Forums poster. One type is into home cooking, sharing recipes, trying new things, posting cook-alongs and verticals (posting pictures of a recipe step by step) and generally contributing to the board, and the other kind only posts about fast food, /r9k/ and /pol/ crossboarders who derail every thread and don't contribute new or interesting content. I'd say most posters are the first type, but the second posters are louder.

I lived there for a 3 years as a kid. Finally made a return there last December/January, this time with wife in tow.

Have some tsukemen

So the "foodie" shit doesn't fly here very often?

Have this monstrosity.

/pol/ truly does taint everything.

If by foodie shit you mean this type of thread, then keep it up because it's better than 90% of the posts here

What do you mean by foodie? Generally people here tend to make fun of snobs, and the people who brag about expensive food seem to be doing it just to get a rise out of people. Other than that, if you are sincere and the food you discuss/post is interesting, then you can get a pretty decent thread going. Watch out for derailment I mentioned earlier, though.

Yes, yes it does. So does /r9k/ and /int/. I find that /int/ is particularly bad here in Veeky Forums.

to be fair, sometimes fast foods discussions can be entertaining

Just always on the lookout for good food is all.

Don't care much for the $300 per plate restaurants. Fucking hate microgreens and the bullshit that comes with it.

But I do like food with culture and history. Poor people food tends to be Best people food. And any high end food is only good when they take root from the commoners

Candied strawberry from a Buddhist temple site

BeardPapa's

Good content, OP. Thanks for sharing.

Noted, thanks.

Have a drink!

Also avoid pro/anti GMO threads. Cancer from all fronts

Your gratitude is appreciated. Have a drink from the menu. How many ways did you think you could spell "plum"?

t. (((monsanto))) shill

Will take caution, thanks

Tell the bartender, your next one is on me.

No, I come from the anti GMO camp. I just don't like the argument threads because everyone is fucking retarded. That's why I filtered "GMO" threads.

Grow up

GMOs cross pollinate and wipe out the reproductive abilities of other species.
See you in 20 years when your vegetables are extinct.
The slightest hint of support to Monsanto's campaign of produce genocide will be regarded as hostility here.
Go fuck yourself.

Ramen and more raw egg over rice

OP here. Is your reading comprehension a little off today?

Take it easy and enjoy a drink.

>he says doesn't support GMOs
>is apparently a Monsanto shill

wtf are you even talking about?

See, OP? Avoid this kind of discourse.

Silly, it is. I shall drown the noise with more OC

>hide anti GMO threads
>is against Monsanto

Yeah fucking right. You're either against the genocide of plant life or you're a shill that just wanted to mention the company.
Fuck you.

Do you think I am unaware of the risks? That's not the point.

I'm saying that the GMO argument threads themselves are retarded.

You know why? Because 99% of people that enter those threads already chose a side and their opinions will never budge (especially when other side just shittalks). In the end everyone from both sides just end up feeling worse and they hatr the other even more. Nothing EVER gets done in those threads. You're wasting your time.

It's just a shouting match with ears plugged on both sides. You won't get anything done. Seeing your combative hostility, I can see that you're a veteran of those threads.

Doing some damage at revolving sushi bar

XXX spicy

I'm not even the original user you were responding to. You're making no sense and jumping to conclusions that everyone is a GMO shill because one guy said to avoid those threads. (for this very reason, I might add) You're like the guys in the tipping threads, or those who are convinced that their cities' pizza is the best pizza.

Stop it, or take it outside on the streets.

Stop feeding them then.

Also, half of "anti-GMO" OP's tend to be false flags anyways. And let's not forget that many comments in the thread are pro-GMO.

So technically when I filter all "GMO" threads I am not just filtering the anti-GMO arguments; I'm filtering both because they're all dumb.

There are better places to debate than fucking Veeky Forums. Thanks for your concern.

>combative hostility
No, I'm just pissed the fuck off that I have to do a decade's worth of garden labor to ensure the survival of common vegetable species.
I may get rich but I'm fucking pissed off about having to carry 600lbs of dirt around the house so that they can't make our vegetables extinct.

The fewer people you tell, the faster the GMO seeds sell, the faster your crops become infertile, the faster they go extinct. Staying out of GMO threads only allows people to shill the shit and remain uninformed about the dangers to non GMO crops.

Yeah I'm done. I think you got the best sample of how cancerous gee em oh threads are. They will suck you in.

I'm one of several that got out of that cesspit.

Where are the Veeky Forumsooks in the house? You like my steel?

One Kiya and a few tsukiji masamotos I got while there.

Shut the fuck up. This is my dojo.

I like posting my knives. Not a pro, just a home cook.

I still can't get into octopus, and I've tried. It's just not my thing I guess.

Don't fucking qq to me in 10 years when your tomatoes are $10 each.
Inactivity is destroying the foods you eat and all you have to say is "I don't feel like it?"

Grow the fuck up. The survival of your entire species has been put at risk by a contagious infertility programmed into GMO crops.
You have no idea what you're facing or you wouldn't be playing the laziness card.
Fuck you guys. I'll be the one selling you the tomatoes and green peppers at $10 a pop, guarantee it, and you won't even notice the price change because you're the type to pay $6 for 8oz of coffee at starbucks.

Grilling

I too feel frustrated and stressed by what is happening around the world. I too fear for what may be ahead.

Just calm down. Everyone dies eventually and all species and galaxies are destined to go extinct. What comes up must go down. If you're a religious type, the meek shall inherit the earth, okay?

We are just a tiny speck in everything. Of course, keep doing what you do and what you have to do, but don't pull your hair out in the process.

Also, try to preach to people on the fence, not fight your enemies. Don't reply to ad hominems. Save your energy for more important things.

hey newboy

this place is a shithole welcome to the Veeky Forums parody of an actual food and cooking forum

also the mods are all niggers

ps i was banned for this post

Nice. I'm no pro either.

Not a huge fan of octopus either, but when it's good, it's great.

You're just like Jehova's witness guys that go door to door. They first say you're going to hell, and then they ask if you want to join their church. That's why they're not popular.

The anti-GMO side needs less of your type.

OP here. Go away faggot. How's that for ad hominem?

No, we need less condescending uneducated ratfaced fucktards like yourself shilling for the company.

I'm just trying my best to shut him up so you can continue your thread. Sorry.

Fags. All of you. Stop

Nobody likes you. Not even the anti-GMO folks, as evidenced in this thread. You're making your side look bad as well.

You're literally doing the worst possible thing.

Forgot pic

Fine but not without saying "fuck you."

Drink.

>peppers, onion, garlic, shallot, cucumbers, tomatoes

Monsanto is making all these things extinct, hope you enjoyed them.

Fuck you.

Drink.

False-flag monsanto shill get out. Trying to make us look bad in purpose. Or just a really autistic dude. Whatever. Get out.

Next on the menu, your fucking tears and tender booty.

is dat your waifu, OP? Also, those portion sizes seem pretty big, is that common in Nippon? We Americans get shit on all the time over our portion sizes, but they usually look similar to the pictures you're posting.

>autistic
Yes.
>false flagging
No.
>shill
No.

Fuck you I am drinking while they're still trying to figure out how to make GMO wheat. Inb4 $672 30 packs.

Yes waifu.

The portions are actually a healthy medium. People get the misconception that Japanese eat small portions, because they see the high end restaurant shit with 2 slices of Kobe for 30 bucks.

Protein is generally expensive and portioned small, but they consume massive amounts of carbs--noodles and rice with their food. I was shocked how much ramen I'd see them put down.

In that pic everyone was eating big. It was a popular nightime get-drunk-and-stuff-your-face place

Ah I see. You're in it for the lols.

An oldie but a goodie:
Every knife thread on Veeky Forums ...

let me just finish the thread for you
>ulu
>wusthof
>global
>some guy making fun of global
>shun
>some guy saying they chip
>you don't need a good knife guy
>victorinox fibrox guy
>weeb knife of the month guy
>you should only care about sharpening guy
>santoku guy
>ten people shitting on santokus
>slightly misinformed tl;dr about metallurgy, knife shapes, or the characteristics of knives from a certain country
>cleaver guy
>everyone making fun of cleaver guy
>cleaver guy posting 30 youtube videos about chinese chefs deboning chickens with their cleavers
>sometimes a /k/tard
>rivets debate
>forged vs stamped
>angry australian calling everyone in the thread a weeaboo, even the ones posting german knives
>is wusthof good
>answer about wusthof product lines
>some trolling here and there

Crab

MFW I'm four of those guys all by myself

OP here.
>We prefer /k/ommando.

Good synopsis, thank you. I'm getting a quick sense of the meme scene here.

You drink?

kek

Lurk moar like eveyone else had to faggot ass OP, No one should have explain shit to you. Keep posting pics tho. Preferably ur waifus tits.

Shall I move on to my Europe excursion? Oddly enough so many of my food pics in Europe has my wife's tits in frame.

Sure , food pics are universally welcome here.

I like this thread!

A Chinese restaurant in Paris...a Chinese dish with french influence on the broth that was so rich it was almost sauce and not soup. So fucking good.

Thanks.

Have some motherfuckin bone marrow risotto from Milan.

More from milan

Restaurant was set up to look like someone's apartment

Italy had some great food. Actually lived there for a couple years. Decided to have my vacation run thru it once more.