How do I get into Absinthe drinking?

How do I get into Absinthe drinking?

Is it as simply as buying a bottle and taking shots?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#Health_effects
youtu.be/OxOGv6jHRKE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just be mindful of the alcohol content, they can be really strong. In that photo you can see a utensil that is designed for a sugar cube. You place the cube on it, hold it over the glass and trickle water on it, then mix it up. Never done it but I've read about it.

Absinthe is literally my favorite spirit on earth. You don't even want to know how much I've spent on it in the past. Even had sampled from underground pre ban bottles.

>Is it as simply as buying a bottle and taking shots?
No. Do not do this. Get a bottle and get a glass. Then you just need some ice water and optionally some sugar. It's difficult to drink straight because of how strong it is, both the liquor and the potency of the oils.

pour a little bit into a glass kinda like what's in your pic (though that's a bit strong) and then slowly add the ice water. The drink immediately creates what's called a "louche". Keep pouring until the layer of absinthe on the top disappears. This takes a lot of water in comparison to the size of the shot. Then you're left with a milky colored drink that's giving off anise perfumes. That's what you drink.

>How do I get into Absinthe drinking?

Run out of mouthwash and kerosene, you degenerate.

Not exactly, but vodka shots aren't doing it for me anymore

Try karosene first then, it tastes the same, but is cheaper.

I've heard that you're supposed to pour the absinthe over the sugar, then light the cube on fire melting it into the glass. Then you can add water

The "lighting the cube on fire" thing is non-traditional; that was a later invention.

You can do whichever method you like.

No, you're supposed to dribble icecold water into your glass and optionally crush a cube of sugar into it.

You will not have a good time just slamming shots of clean absinthe, shit's mighty.

>Even had sampled from underground pre ban bottles
Nice, old Swiss bottles of blue or what?

>burning away the alcohol
Don't.

I wouldn't bother unless you really like licorice.

There are upper limits on the wormwood alkaloid when shipped to the US, and you can't get drunk off the shit either, so you're paying for a bottle of green half ass vodka.
Try going to Europe.

>There are upper limits on the wormwood alkaloid when shipped to the US
Europe has thujone limits too, dingus. And it's not a concern, historical recipes all fall well within modern regulations.
Any non-alcoholic effects were from abysmal quality control and heavy metals used in bathtub distilleries, not wormwood.

>and you can't get drunk off the shit either
It's 70% ABV, are youOK?

I was an alcoholic. I could not get there with the drinkability holding me back.

You're not a serious alcoholic unless you can squeeze down a keg of warm piss Pabst to get sauced, absinthe is fine.

It's not fine. It tastes like shit, the hallucinogen stuff is a myth and it's over priced everywhere.

Why would you want to, its just nasty booze. Its not like it'll actually make you hallucinate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#Health_effects

Who the fuck is talking about that old myth you sperglingers?

Everything you probably know about absinthe comes from shitty euro bar culture and should be tossed.

>Nice, old Swiss bottles of blue or what?
nah it was French. 100+ year old bottle of Edouard Pernod. The color had changed to a pale yellow but the flavor was fantastic.

You also have to pretend to be a nihilistic Frenchman.

Its the only reason memelords drink that garbage swill.

>I don't like the flavor so nobody else should
Those are some adult opinions.

I thought it was because they were infatuated with Hemingway.

I wouldn't bother unless i could afford a top quality bottle. Cheap stuff is just grim. And you need really cold water to louche it with. Bear in mind it's like 145 proof. You can dilute it with Sazerac and a dash of bitters as well.

Hemingway was a faggot.

I took a taste of the stuff once. It's pretty awful. I don't see why anyone would consciously choose to drink it.

Get some alcohol that tastes good instead. Cognac, scotch, maybe even wine. There's a reason that these are major producers instead of just meme drinks.

>There's a reason that these are major producers instead of just meme drinks.
That reason is absinthe was banned for nearly a hundred years

That's bullshit, It's just a myth created to make it illegal. It was just so cheap, people would drink gallons of it.

What does it actually taste like?

I really like "La Guilloudtine" it's 68% so it's a bit strong. It's good with and without water, I didn't test it with the sugar. If you come around Neuchâtel, you should try to get some.

It's like pastis but with a fresher taste

I found it tasted pretty much like sambucca

Sambucca is quite a bit sweeter

First off you're wrong as you've already been told. But secondly do you not realize that you can still acquire things illegally and easily?

Where can I buy good absinthe? Do I have to go online since I've never seen it in the liquor store near me.

Go to swizerland.

I go once every two weeks to the same Barcelona bar where Hemingway used to drink Absentine.

You get a glass with Absentine on it (about 3-4 cm) , a sugar cube, a small fork, and a small plastic bottle of water with a hole punched on the cap.

You balance the fork over the glass, put the sugar cube on the fork, and squeze the water bottle so a stream of water shoots from the hole into the sugar cube and the glass.

The Absentine, the water and the sugar is 5€ in total, but you are not going to drink more than two glasses, trust me.

Sorry if there are weird words on the post, the automatic corrector has gone crazy.

Is it real absinthe? In Switzerland it's 5 chf (about 5€) the glass of kubler (the most common and affordable).

As someone who lives in the US, anybody got any recommendations on where to buy some Absinthe from? I've wanted to try it for ages.

I love just drinking the most alcholic version straight for the strong flavour but you're supposed to mix ice water.

Yes it is, remember that Switzerland is the most expensive country in the EU while Spain being on the cheap side.

drink everclear then retard, or start doing other drugs like xanax or ketamine that affect the same brain receptors

absinthe is a meme, it does nothing special and is a shitty cheap alchohol

If you get any commercial absinthe, don't bother, just drink it as shots or whatever - it's just booze.

If you want the effects of thujone, you need real absinthe, made by someone who knows what they are doing.

The proper way is to use the special absinthe spoon (like in your photo), fill the "bowl" part of the glass with absinthe, then slowly drip iced water (must be very cold! Absinthe being so high alcohol content warms up when diluted and gets awful.) dissolving the sugar cube placed on the spoon. Fill the glass slowly, watching as it turns milky-green, then sip and relax. And just one glass, wait a day until the next one.

Absinthe high is very subtle and light, it's nothing like your typical strong drugs. If you get drunk, you get nothing, the absinthe high completely covered up by the alcohol haze. Try doing something creative - the high created by absinthe helps your inspiration, lets you spot beauty where you normally miss it (and not just like marijuana, deceiving you into believing something mundane is beautiful, just sharpens your observation skill and sensitivity.) It definitely leaves you in full mental control, enhancing your thought process, not impairing it.

But if the absinthe is thujone-reduced kind (about all commercially sold are), forget about getting any results other than from alcohol.

Switzerland doesn't belong to EU.

Yes but absinthe comes from swizerland (a very specific region of swizerland). It's 5 chf in places near the producers, otherwise it's can go around 15 chf. Is it french absinthe that you drink?

almost exactly like black licorice. Sort of a much stronger jager.

Don't drink for few days, eat like a human being and stay hydrated. Next time you do 3 shots in succession it'll be the best euphoric buzz you'll ever feel. At least for me. But you may be an Amerliard who weights 500kg so it may take 3 or 4 bottles.

Or drink the kerosene.

well switzerland and france, there is even an absynth road to travel trough both countrys
also the czech repuplic has a great history with absynthe

absinthe is literally just drinking alcohol, don't go into it expecting anything grand

youtu.be/OxOGv6jHRKE

watch, learn, buy something proper and enjoy

>If you want the effects of thujone, you need real absinthe, made by someone who knows what they are doing.

If there's enough thujone to do anything then it's meme absinthe made by someone who has no idea what they're doing and no understanding of historical absinthe.

ITT: plebbit.

thujone is not psychoactive nor is wormwood.

The only proper way to drink absinthe.