Pierogies

Conducting a very unofficial casual survey..

Are you familiar with pierogis?
Do you like them?
Are they something you would purchase from a mobile vendor?

Other urls found in this thread:

perogyboyz.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Love them, but idk about from a street vendor

Do you have a poor opinion of food trucks as being "dirty" or what is the reason?

I live in Manitoba. Perogies (as we spell them) are fucking everywhere. No matter who you are, you either have a older relative who makes tons of perogies, or you know an old lady who makes them and you buy them from her.

I'd buy them from a street vendor, why not? Street vendors are cheap, see if you like what you get, and if you didn't no big loss. Even mediocre perogies are still delicious.

I'd buy them from a food truck. A street cart, probably not.

Gotcha..

Thanks for the input. Thinking of starting a business and trying to gauge general public opinion.

yes
yes
yes

Yup. I buy them from a food truck already.
perogyboyz.com/

Yes, Very much so, Would gladly buy.

That looks good as hell.

Am familiar and would buy but have never had them.

I'd definitely try a sample, especially if you told me it was just full of cheese and potato.

I am! They were a main staple of our house.
The way my grandma made them by boiling them then baking them.
Yes, and I have.

'rogis?

Is there a canonical filling for pierogies?

do deconstructed pierogi taste just as good?
Making them is such a hassle.

potatoes + cheese

sometimes bacon or another fatty protein

no...

I've never made them, but isn't that a little too carb heavy?

No worse than hash browns or something.

>no worse thank a literal pile of carbs

uhh

Love them and yes.
I only have access to the Mrs T frozen brand, so I probably am missing out quite a bit

Heard the name, never had them though.

Triple Yes

>trying to gauge general public opinion
The intention is spot on, but your method is horribly out of whack.
What Veeky Forums thinks about pierogi does not matter - unless you're aiming for channers as a focus group.
Ask who you'd sell to instead.

My mother's side of the family is from Belarus, so we ate a lot of pierogi for family dinners.

There were usually potato/cheese/onion pierogi and sauerkraut pierogi on the savory side, and prune pierogi on the sweet side.

Been asking coworkers, too. Will move on to a more direct way, maybe at a truck festival or something.

yes mate
usually cheese or ground beef filled
or maybe both

Polak here. If I could get fresh pierogi out of a toilet Id still probably pay for them.

Are you going to have a pierogi cart?

Yes familiar. Yes buy from vendors. I cook Mrs T's at home in skillet with butter and a tiny bit of oil until well browned crispy. Classic Onion only. Fuck off Cheddar or any other flavors. Garnish only rarely. Mexican blend shredded cheese and/or a tad of sour cream.

You should try to make them right. Cook with bacon and onion, all in pan together. It will be done when the onions are brown.

maybe? in which way? taste wise, definitely not

dietary wise, who gives a fuck

user your ravioli look strange

Yes. Perogies are the shit.

Yes, not really, probably not.

They are always disappointing. Dumplings can be fantastic, but for some reason pierogies are always flavorless lumps. Half the time, they're served in a puddle of melted butter -- and the Polish restaurants somehow manage to use flavorless greasy butter, too.

My personal favorite dumplings are guotieh, the long/thin ones that Taiwanese fry up. Unfortunately, the place I used to get them from closed up shop. I get Szechuan pork dumplings in chili oil at another place for lunch pretty regularly now; the place is inconsistent in quality, but on their good days they could earn a Michelin star. On their bad days they're still ok.

Yes, I'm familiar with pierogies.
Yes, I like them. Especially potato or potato+cheese but I'm open to trying other kinds like mushroom or sweet potato or butternut squash.
Might buy them from a mobile vendor if I'm really hungry. Not much of a fan of eating while walking.

If in a city id buy from a cart or stand, not a truck.

"just pierogis" will not be sustainable as a food truck item. do eastern european. sell stuffed cabbage, paprikash and pierogis.

Millies for the win! Love cabbage ones

you are

I would buy them from a truck in the winter or on cold nights generally.

There was a little place in Madison that sold just pierogies and was open late night. Lowest investment I've ever seen, was literally three cauldrons and stoned college students boiling pounds of pierogies and one record player and a money box. They had a line out the door and around the block.

It is. Average rogi is around 10-15g carbs per. Good for bulking desu

I will get Mrs T's every once in a while. Pierogies are easy to make but a little time consuming but you can freeze them.

They're farmer's and workers food, of course they are.

Yes.
Like is an understatement.
I'd try them. But I'd prefer to have the ones I make, if only because gut trucks are expensive.

Armyfag, food trucks make absolute bank on Army posts, and I think all my guys would kill for pierogi from a gut truck

Yes, as long as it's filled with meat.

yesyesmaybe

only if you had a variety of fillings that would make it interesting,and/or at different ways of serving them.

like in a bowl of barsczc, classic with onions and bacon, and probably you should make it appealing to girls and hipsters by also having a variety of herbs/additions.
similarily you should also do them as dessert, sweet fillings are common in eastern europe, sourcherries+cottagecheese/plum/poppyseed+fruit...

My advice would be:
The topic of the truck/restaurant doesnt really matter, its how you execute it, how good you are with business, how many people you know...
Dont make the mistake of thinking anybody is just waiting for the opportunity to buy x food, nobody cares unless its great, and even if its great you can still suck at other aspects of operating a business and fail

Family is from Ukraine so yes, very familiar.
Absolutely love them with smetana.
Would definitely purchase from mobile vendor.

I like to think of it as a pie, but its gone rogue; because it's not really a pie

pierogueis

holy shit i would buy them from a mobile vendor. especially if you could mix and match which ones you wanted? damn now i want some.

yeah i'd get the from a street vendor, had them in krakow last year had never heard of them before good, mushroom was thbest one i had, not as good as chinese dumplings though

My sister in law cooks pork pierogies them all the time. They're so tasty with a dollop of sour cream, paprika and hot sauce. Yummy yummy in my tummy tum tums.

Couldn't hurt to try vendor sold, might be good but it would need a side, like beet salad.

Yes, yes, fuck yes
Please bring a pierogimobile to Georgia

I work in a place that makes them I only like the sweet ones desu, blueberry, strawberry, cherry, and my fav sweet cheese, which is cottage cheese plus sugar and vanilla extract.

I'm familiar with pierogi in concept, but I don't know that I've ever had them. Where I'm from, bierocks are much more common. They're sort of like pierogi, in that they are stuffed bread, but they're also fairly different.

Bierocks are made from yeast dough, are stuffed with seasoned ground beef and some combination of onions and cabbage. They're formed into more of a roll shape than a dumpling, and they are universally baked rather than fried or boiled. Between the yeast dough and the baking, the bread has a bigger role than in a pierogi, as I understand it. It's a dish that Volga Germans brought to the U.S., Canada, and Argentina when Russia became more hostile to their communities.

Pierogi are a main staple of my hometown. There are pierogi everywhere: in our restaurants, our church basements, our ballparks, our marketplaces.

I fucking love pierogi.

Sure. Pierogi are something you go to a Polish deli for, or buy them from old babičkas out of church basements and at festivals, but I'd never say no to a pierogi food truck. The main issue I would have is that pierogi need to be sauteedi n butter and eaten on a plate with sour cream and cabbage. Kind of messy. But I've had schnitzel dinners from trucks before, so why the fuck not.

Yes.
Yes.
No, food trucks/carts are stupid fucking memes. The only thing I will buy from a truck or a cart are hot dogs and fries. No amount of shitty millennial viral marketing will change my mind.

Yes, Love them, Yes.

This, Perogies are standard delicious poor people food in Canada. It's like $3 for a 1kg bag of the fuckers and they can be prepared a whole bunch of different ways.

I used to layer mine in a dish between meats and cheeses like a lasagna and bake it. Shit's amazing.

also for the fucks sake stop saying "pierogies". "pierogi"is already plural

yes
love them
yes

Hell yes I would buy them, I love those little fuckers. I'm used to getting them as chinese 'potstickers' or jiaozi or whatever. I didn't even know pierogi was a thing. Get that brown asian sauce and it's good.

Agreed..but I'm not polish enough. Actually...I'm not polish at all. I'm part hungarian, so there's that. But the rest is mostly irish (I'm ginger) and english. Partner in this is mostly italian.
Based just outside nyc. I figured Bbq has been done to death. We are too white for a japanese inspired, latin inspired, or any other specific cuisine.
There is no one doing pierogi specifically around here. Was planning on doing a creative take on them with very very untraditional fillings as well. Basically bastardizing them and probably making some polish nonnas roll in their grave XD
Thanks again for your replies y'all. I grew up in a strongly polish area and always having a box of mrs t's in the freezer...but wasn't sure what everyone elses feelings were.

-Yes
-Not that much. But that's because I have eaten so many ravioli/Maultaschen in my life, that I got sick of it.
Russkies would eat it seated down, but not for the "go", if you ask me.

I would buy pierogis and eat them more if they didn't use Canola oil to make them.

It'd be nice to find Pierogis that were made with butter instead. Essentially I'd rather have a more expensive Pierogi than a really cheap one.

I have never made Pierogis, might have to be a weekend project someday soon. Although I have already have lasagna and pie as weekend cooking projects.

Yes
Yes
Depends on the price. I don't want to pay $10 for pierogies that have been fancied up with meme tier ingredients, it should be basic yet appetizing

>Are you familiar with pierogis?
yes
>Do you like them?
fuck yes
>Are they something you would purchase from a mobile vendor?
fuck no, only homemade

Ruskie are the best, white cheese and potato and cream (18% only) and pork scratching my god they are delicious and you know what? ruskie with mint are even better!

Yes

Yes I'm familar with them
yes I do like them
and yes I would by them from a food truck

was always thinking about making a food truck called "Dump Truck"
where i sell dumplings from all over the world
gyozas, chicken & dumpling soup, perogies, su mai, ravioli, etc.

That name would drive people away.

I'm polish, I eat this shit all the time
of course I like them, everyone likes them unless they hate the idea of a dumpling
I would happily buy one from a mobile vendor, the street food selection in Poland kind of sucks, so street pierogi would be nice
remember that's cottage cheese and there is usually some onion thrown in there too
ground meat, sauerkraut and fruit are other popular variants
you can't really bastardise pierogi, any kind of filling is fair game. I've even seen "mexican" pierogi with chicken, beans, corn and chilli sauce over here

>op talks about pierogis
>the thread and op picture is actually about varenikis

where is hometown?

I like real pierogies with fresh cheese, not the crappy frozen ones with flavorless "processed milk product" cheese

Polack in UK here.

every few months i make a batch of pierogis. But since i'm to busy/lazy i just go to a place in my town (Chester)

Not only you can get the hot stuff there, but the ladies will make you pierogis to reheat. I bought 7kg of those fuckers lat month and every now and then i just put some butter on the pan and golden them up.

Not this guy!

I'm from NWI so we have pierogifest once a year. jesus fucking christ it's amazing

Yes, I'm familiar with pierogis.

HOLY FUCK I LOVE PIEROGIS!!!!

Yeah, I'd take a look at the prices and what people are walking away with, but I would definitely check out the 'rogis from a street vendor. I have a solid dumpling guy at the moment, but he's Hong Kong style (but like American fusion with HK) and I have enough room in my palate for both Asian and Eastern European options.

Also it sounds like I'm going to visit Manitoba for a weeklong binge...

Yes yes and yus

I love pierogis, and it depends on the vendor. Food truck? Hell yeah. All other options available where I live are sketchy, so I avoid them.

I had a buddy who was half-Russian and he always had these in the freezer. When we gamed at his house, he'd pull them out if we didn't feel like ordering pizza.

I gotta be honest man, as much as I too love pierogis, but this doesn't sound like the most solid business plan. Then again I don't know your specific details. But a pierogi themed truck/cart just doesn't sound like something that's exactly going to take off.

I'm not even Polish but I hate the way Americans say pierogis instead of pierogi, it makes you sound like such a retard. Pierogi is already a plural.

>meat
>mushrooms + cabbage
>potatoes + cheese (with lard and fried chunks of bacon on top)
>cheese (with cinnamon and melted butter on top)
>strawberries/blackberries/any kind of temperate climate fruit really (may or may not come with sweet, fat, very liquidy cream)
that is all I can think of in my region.

Well you can just stay in your Balkan shithole watching your animes Dmitry and let the big dogs eat

These are the best that aren't homemade.

manitoba sucks
>t. winnipeger

yes yes yes

pierogies are the love of my life.
everything Polish, really, especially the vodka. you've never had proper vodka until you've had Zubrowka or Soplica.

Perogies are alright but don't lend themselves to portability. I'd be much more likely to get a taco, hotdog, falafel sandwich etc then a messy, sit down meal.

Heard about them online, never actually seen or eaten them. Would possibly buy out of curiosity but the name being so twee and the weird-kind-of-foreign sounding would likely put me off of a street vendor

I only eat pelmeni

>Veeky Forums
>a good gauge of public opinion

Pick one user