The truth about Sausages?

so i've heard that sausages have like the most disgusting things in them? I have done research but I'm guessing Veeky Forums folks are much better at researching these kind of things.. what do you guys think or know? it would be great if you had a sauce too

Have you ever heard of "The Jungle"?

Well, most are made from trimmings, and most have a quite high fat content.

I would imagine the worst are the meat packers varients like Johnsonville, supermarket being maybe a little better...

I get mine from a genuine butcher shop, so I know about the food I eat...

Nobody wants to see the sausage being made.

yes i have by Upton Sinclair

I've been a butcher for 8 years now. Starting at a mom and pop shop and now working at a store that does $1.5 million in sales a week. Ask me anything about sausage making or meat in general

What's your favorite?

Steak: Ribeye
Sausage: Mild Italian (personal recipe)

is it true that sausages have like almost nothing to improve your health? If so what is inside that isn't great for you?

>Veeky Forums people are good at researching things

While that phrase is incorrect I get what OP means. This website is very active and has a huge userbase. You have a much higher chance of getting a response here than anywhere else, and while a ton of people spout nothing but shit, there are genuine people as well.

you should be more worried about nitrates used to cure the meat instead of the pig anus inside

I don't know what horror stories you've been hearing about sausage. It's just pork and seasonings stuffed in a casing.

Actual proper sausage isn't nearly as disgusting as commercial hot dogs.

Then again, intestinal casing used to have shit passing through it.

Thanks for the useless reddit spaced post, fuck your local butcher you fedora tipping faggot

Most people would think that a butcher or a small producer would have the cleanest sausages, but they are the ones most likely to add the gross bits.

I occasionally space my posts the same as he did and I am from KC not reddit, ease up on the bloke

Kansas City? Kings Cross?

How do I make the best knackwurst?

>so i've heard that sausages have like the most disgusting things in them?
Lips and arseholes, OP.

if by sausages you mean the shitty stuff that goes in a hot dog then yeah
but actual good sausages, wursts, kielbasas or whatever you want to call them are mostly just meat

Really that only applies to American style hotdogs and branded meats such as Bar S, Jimmy Dean's, Oscar Mayer, 7-11, etc. The surefire way to get a good quality sausage is to buy from actual butcheries where you know the meat man is doing shit from scratch.

Having worked in a butcher shop, it doesn't really have anything disgusting in it, mostly just trimmings and leftover meat that isn't going to be used for anything else. People who say lips, assholes, brains, guts, etc. go in are retarded, those aren't even on the meat when the butcher receives them from the slaughterhouse usually.

I always stand by using quality meat and spices. Also, if possible, you should always grind the meat yourself

fuk u

this desu

industrial scale food production > mom'n'pop/local deli/small cafes every day when it comes to cleanliness

Not true, I've made sausages at home, it's just minced meat and spices.

The early 90s I was at a major sausage producing factory installing a new air conditioning system. I saw a mouse run into the meat grinder and I yelled to the foreman to stop the power. He told me "it would cost us too much time and money to stop the grinder" and he continued to let it run.

Not gonna lie, but most of those meats I'd still eat. In the delicious form of sausage makes it even better.

Like any other food it is made in a variety of different quality ranges. Some of it contains lots of trimmings and crap, some of it is made with very good ingredients.

And there's the usual: if in doubt, make it yourself.

I can highly recommend the book "Charcuterie" by Ruhlman. It covers everything from beginning sausage making through the complicated stuff like salami.

I'm not a vegan pussy by any means and have eaten my fair share of ground meats and hot dogs and sausages etc but

I don't think I can any more. Ground meat of all kinds and intestinal filled meat pouches gross me out too much now.. it's unnatural to kill an animal, grind up its flesh, and stuff it into its own guts to eat

What about organ meat like livers or hearts?

>it's unnatural to

It is? Just about every culture on earth has been doing it for thousands of years.

You want to talk about unnatural? Using the internet.

Who gives a fuck about the animal if it tastes good? If eating humans tasted good and was legal I'd do that too.

Not that user, but some sausage recipes call for offal and some don't. You wouldn't include organ meat in a recipe that didn't call for it for the same reason that you wouldn't substitute lemonade for milk if you were baking a cake.

The internet was given to us by kek u nigger

there's nothing wrong about sausages from good brands.

the multinacional stuff I wouldnt recommend

You want the truth? British sausages are the best in the world, followed by French....then come the Germans.

The German sauasages are best meme is quite bizarre.

Another vote for Charcuterie. One of my favorite cookbooks.

There's nothing wrong with offal. In fact, some of the tastiest things are going made with variety meats. See scrapple, goetta, headlines cheese, etc.

I like British sausages, but I find they vary greatly in quality. Some of them are utter shit. Others are fucking amazing.

Clearly quality variations exist for any nationality of sausage but in my experience the British is the worst of the lot as far as variability goes.

I think Germany gets recognition because they are famous for Bratwurst. It's good, but there are so many other kinds of sausage that are a lot better, IMHO. The Thais make some fucking amazing sausage. So do the Italians.

>The Thais make some fucking amazing sausage.
This is ironic

nitrites
the problem is most are packed with preservatives.
the high fat content mixed with copious amounts of salt doesnt really help either.

I have worked in a store with a full service counter for 5 years. Our pork sausage is just ground up trim from pork primals, supplemented with shoulder and our chicken sausage is just boneless thigh meat.
The seasonings are also composed of very normal shit, like destrose, salt, pepper and we buy stuff from the store to make others.
All that shit gets stuffed into a hog casing and twisted up.
Sausage composition may vary from place to place but I am comfortable eating that stuff that my place of work makes.

Where is your store located and what's the name?

Since refrigeration became common the preservatives in many sausages at the grocers have been removed.
This includes salt and while the fat is still there a lot of it cooked out of it.

4 locations in sonoma county, california, "Olivers Market"

I'm sick of you faggot fucks whining about the rectums and whatnot that get put into sausage.
Please post your bullshit arbitrary list of animal parts that should just be thrown into the mud so I can get even madder at your bitchiness.

Not to mention that offal is part of a well balanced diet. Or rather helps to balance a meat heavy diet.