Chili

Sooo, how does Veeky Forums like its chili?
Any special ingredients you like to add?

Lurk moar, newfag.

Fucking beans

OK. I just got the cooking fever and hoped to get some quick tips. I'll lurk a bit. Thanks anyhow.

Jelly beans belong in chili

bump for interest

canned beans

I've actually found that non-sweet chocolate is a great add.

Green peas

Usually Cascabel, Guajillo and Ancho chilies.
However, this one time some asshole sold me his pubes so i killed his parents and added them into the chili too.
Shit was fucking cash, guy was fucking devastated and the chili was fucking good.

>some quick tips
Here are mine.

1) The name of the dish is the most important ingredient. It's a stew of chili peppers first and foremost. Actual chilies (fresh and dried) should be the base of your chili. You need a lot of them, not just a little packet of "chili powder". This doesn't mean the chili has to be ass-burningly spicy; plenty of chili peppers are very mild in heat.

2) Do not use water. Use a flavorful liquid instead. Stock, broth, tomato juice, beer, etc, is a much better choice.

How many chilis would I need to buy for 2 pound of meat. They sell them at the farmer's market but I have never tried to grind them myself.

Do you guys use a different recipe for ground meat chili?

That really depends on how spicy and what kind of chili we're talking about here, i don't happen to know much about that factor.

Actually, i made that post as a joke to nod towards South Park, but i digress.

Just make sure it's not too spicy, add how much you think is mild and keep adding when needed and tasting 'till perfection.

Meant for

Well I was figuring 2 pounds of meat. There is a bison vendor at the market, what cut should I use? I would like just medium spicy, has to be mild enough so that little kids can eat it.

Skyline chili?

I guess to be specific I mean like how many roughly of the dried chiles do I need to buy. 5? 10?

Cinnamon, sometimes I'll also add corn.

crushed up tortilla chips

Me when people say beans make it not chilli.

Fuck you pedantic faggots. It tastes better and that is not up for debate.

A very small number of Amerilards don't use beans and cry like arse raped virgins whenever they see chilli with beans.

Amerilard Raped Virgin Chilli has no beans. All others are beany.

beany master race

To my taste, chilli is way better with beans. Also with corn.

To your taste, r8 pl0x?
>pic related

beans are ok for ground beef chili but real chili isn't made with ground beef so you have flexibility.

Cheddar cheese and dill pickle.

Adding cocoa is not skylines idea. Mixing chocolate and spice has been a thing for centuries.

Cook that for probably 1.5 more hrs. Needs to thicken

Ok, not even being mean, but you really don't seem to have a lot of experience with chillies. Five dried jalapeƱos are gonna be a world different from five dried habaƱeros. As said, add them to taste. If you have some left over, big deal, use them in something else. Every time you buy a different breed of chilli, you'll have to recalibrate how much you want anyway.

Yep, good point. I did leave that bubbling away for another hour or so, then let it cool and stored it in the fridge for a couple of days before reheating it to serve. By that point it had achieved a fairly thicker consistency. I was planning on stuffing it into some hardshell tacos I had left over, so was pretty keen on not having it really runny.

Well they have a couple different kinds of chiles at the market but I forget all the names at the top of my head. I think they have Chiles de Arbol, that one I remember. Would that be good for chili?

>Chiles de Arbol
Wikipedia says 15-30k Scoville, and they look decent size, so I guess you could try grabbing 2-3. Add 1 all chopped up, let it mix for a few minutes & taste, then go from there. I think you said earlier you're buying them dried, so leftover chillies ain't gonna spoil in a hurry.

That pic looks terrible. Chili should be amalgamated, so everything is nicely broken down and the proteins relax and have time to absorb all the flavor.
>Chili should be cooked low and slow on the stovetop for several hours. Don't use a slow cooker, they don't allow for evaporation and your chili will be too liquidy.
>If you add beans, PLEASE, add pintos, pink beans, or cranberry beans. Those are the only true acceptable beans for chili, and they can be found pretty much anywhere, so there's no excuse. Red beans (kidney beans) are terrible for chili because they will always look like your pic, sticking out like sore thumbs in your chili
>Make your own chili powder and chili paste and use both in your chili, along with fresh serranos and new mexican (Hatch) chiles.
>cumin is must.
>Use at least one whole head of garlic
>Use at least 2 large onions
>For the liquid, use beer (and beef stock if you like, just make sure it's good beef stock, preferably a homemade bone stock)
>Tomatoes are not necessary, but some people like them. If you use them, don't use tomato paste, it will give your chili a tomato sauce flavor, which is the opposite of what you want, you want a chile flavor with hints of other flavors.
>Everyone has some kind of secret ingredient. The most common are coffee and chocolate, but there's plenty more out there. I've used coffee with good results myself. I won't tell what my secret ingredient is, though (then it wouldn't be secret, would it?)
>you can add some mexican/southwest herbs if you want, like mexican oregano or epazote. I like epazote when I can find it.
>Your meat mix can also vary. Sometimes I use straight beef, sometimes I use beef and hot pork sausage, and occasionally (when my parents are visiting because they're elderly and they've both had heart problems) I use turkey.
>When serving, offer people several things to put on top and accompany it; grated cheese, chile pequins, hot sauce, cornbread, saltines, etc.

So does chilled water.

The best secret ingredient is horseradish, it adds a whole different dimension to the spiciness and flavor

Pic related, I'm thinking I want to have another go again.

I was pretty satisfied with it, but I'm thinking I want to add more jalapeno and a clove of garlic.

If you're new to cooking, then chili is a good starting point, because there's no firm rules, you can make shit up as you go and work with pretty basic ingredients and it'll probably turn out at least alright.

A basic one is:
>sear meat (ground or chopped, whatever) in a pan, together with some chopped onions and maybe a bell pepper (optional, but I find it enhancing), a texmex spice pack or other storebought chili flavoring spice pack works since you're a newb
>then pour it into a big pot where you then transform it into a stew, most people add something tomato based, I use a whole mix of stuff but you can literally just pour in a can or two of crushed tomatoes or a bottle of tomato sauce
>you may or may not add beans, use canned and then drain them off and rinse them in a strainer before adding, you don't want them to water it out, I cook big batches so I use two cans, but if you're a newbie it's easier to start small
>add some chili powder (a teaspoon or two), because chili should be spicy, a few drops of tabasco works just as well, or do both
>let boil on medium heat for like 10-20 minutes, depending on how much you're cooking, stir intermittently
>when eating, pour on some ground cheddar, optionally crush a fist full of nachos or saltines into your bowl and mix it out, shit's good
>garlic bread is another good side, can usually be found at the frozen aisle

You can omit or add a bit of whatever really, it's an easy base to experiment on.

Looks pretty good, what did you put in it?

Here's how I make it, pretty simple.
>Brown 1/2lb~1lb ground beef in pot/pan
>Add 1/2~1 chopped yellow onion & some bell pepper and sautee. Add a mix of spices, Chili powder, Cumin, Salt & Pepper usually.
>Add a few (or more) minced cloves of garlic
>Drain fat if you're using Transfer to pot if you weren't cooking in one already
>Add some amount of diced/crushed tomatoes (I usually do 2 cans), and 2 cans beans (pinto is my preference, add whatever the fuck you like)
>Bring to a boil then simmer for at least 1 hour, but ideally much longer. Stir occasionally

Corn bread is a good pairing, or at least that's what I ate with chili as a kid. You'll get better results using actual peppers instead of chili powder, and if you make your own tomato paste/what have you. Honestly you can add and remove just about any ingredient. I've known some people to make chili with corn, chopped carrots (yuck), or even celery.

I tried chopped carrots, it wasn't too bad, but they seemed to remain hard. Corn fits better I feel.

I tablespoon of j-lube for texture

How to step it up from newb status?

>not making puree out of dried chilis like based kenji

I like the sound of that but I'm new to cooking as well like 2 months into really trying to push myself.

I'd love it if you could answer like how to make my own Chile paste n powder. I'd love it actually if you could give me a step by step for that you've got.

Good Chilles are hard to come by so I'd never get hatch Chiles or anything else without paying crazy amounts to have them shipped to the middle of England in some fucking hills.

When I started to cook more, my last Chile tasted like mud and lacked anything other than bland taste.

I learned using chuck steak and braising (I think it's called that) worked really well.

Could you maybe adapt that a little so Im not paying out the ass for these ingredients but could still learn and improve on my own?

Not looking for a hand out or to be insulted, just want to better my own skills and you seem to have it down. When I started to cook again I said this would be the first thing I master.

I wanna be able to serve it with pride for once and not dread spending loads on a Chile that uses crazy shit to only end with a mud taste.

Sorry if anything is spelt wrong, blame auto correct.

>tfw I use ground pork and chuck steak
>tfw it's so easy to make

I just finished all the chili I made on Monday and and now I'm pretty sure I smell like chili.

How did you manage to miss where I said make your own chili powder and paste????
Also, Kenji is a faggot hack.

Agree on chocolate or unsweetened cocoa powder.

Also zucchini. I like the texture.

Sure, I can try and help.
So, you live in England. That will make getting specific chiles more difficult. But, hope is not lost. First off, if you can find dried whole chiles there, find several kinds, in a range from mild, medium to hot. You want layers of chile flavor, so you should always use more than just one chile. Also, I know you can order dried chiles on Amazon. If you do that, order Guajillo, Ancho, Chile de Arbol, and Pasilla.
I have to take my dog for a walk now, she's begging to go. I'll type more later, if this thread is still here.

The only acceptable response in this thread

I'm going to tell you a secret chili recipe
Have a slow cooker
Crumble a shit ton of saltine crackers up in a bowl
Pour tomato juice into slow cooker
add chopped Garlic, peppers (bell for mild, jalapeno for less mild, habernero for spicy) tabasco sauce, kidney beans and onions.
Put crumbled crackers into tomato juice.
Chili powder, cumin, and paprika
Slow cook for about 3 to 4 hours, or until the mixture is chunky.

Enjoy your meatless chili that can fool even the smartest of eaters.

Fuck if I know, I'm still using TexMex spices and ground beef/pork to make my chili.

>special ingredients
Pomegranate molasses (sour)
Beans
Slow cooked chicken meat
Thyme
Or anything you want, because chili tastes really bad.

>chile pequins

chilled penguins?

They're tiny, very hot chiles that grow wild in Mexico and some parts of Texas, but you can buy them dried. They're about the size of a very large peppercorn. Fucking awesome to crumble on top of a bowl of chili, it's a tradition in my family. But be warned, they are very hot, so you don't want to start out crumbling a whole handful or anything.

OP, I'm back, I don't know if you're still here or not, but I finish what I started yesterday anyway.
SO, to make your own chili powder and and chile paste:
Let's start with the chile paste:
>get together a variety of dried chiles of varying heat and flavor (like I said in my previous post).
>heat up a flat griddle or cast iron pan, or any heavy pan that holds heat well
>carefully toast the dried chiles in the dry pan, you MUST watch them carefully, because they'll go from toasted to burned pretty quickly if you don't watch it.
>Once all the chiles are toasted remove the stems and shake out the loose seeds (some seeds left inside are okay, but they will add to the heat of the chile, so if you don't want that, just break the chiles open and scrape out all the seeds that are still clinging on)
>Put the cleaned chiles in a bowl and cover with *just* boiled water. Allow chiles to soak for 30 minutes.
>Remove soaked chiles from the water and place in a blender. (Reserve about 1/4 cup of the chile water)
>Add 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, and a little salt to the blender
>Add the chile water to blender (you can also use beef or chicken stock for this if you want an extra dimension of flavor)
>Blend, starting on low and working up to high, until you have a smooth, semi-pourable paste. You don't want your paste too thick, or it will be harder to incorporate it into the chiii, but you don't want it too thin, either, or the flavor will be too diluted. If the paste is too thick, add a little stock or water. Always start out with the smaller amount of liquid, you can always add more, but you can't take it out.
>This is better if made the day before you plan to use it, so the flavors have time to blend together.

>>continued

Okay, so now on to chili powder.
>Repeat the same process for toasting your dried chiles as for the paste recipe, but stop after you've stemmed and seeded them.
>Place dried chiles in a blender, seal the lid tightly, and blend until they form a powder. I've also done this in a spice grinder, which works better, imo, but you have to do it in batches, whereas with a blender you can do them all at once.
>Place dried chile powder in a jar with a lid.
>Add ground cumin, granulated garlic (not garlic powder), granulated onion, some hot or smoked paprika, and a little well-crumbled mexican oregano or epazote
>Store in an air tight jar
>Bonus ingredient: a small spoonful of instant coffee or espresso, or a small spoonful of cocoa powder
>You don't need to add salt to the mixture, because you can salt the chili directly.
>A word on cumin - the flavor will be better if you can buy whole seeds, toast them and then grind them in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.

What's the best cuts of beef for chili? Or combination of meats? I want to make a really richly meaty chili this weekend.

Holy shit this is amazing, thank you. If you're still here. Shit, I'd love to actually learn more off you.

Got or kik anything? Infact anyone who can help me push myself then hit me up.

Ignore the name and profile pic, wanted to change it to show less about myself since I'm about to post it on Veeky Forums

Yeah sorry I stayed awake until like 4am refreshing and only just come to and started to be human again

or just cocoa powder

kinda how I do it, nice! Here I can't get the epazote I can get annatto but it doesn't add a lot. Yuropoor here

Fact: If someone says they have a secret chili ingredient and they won't tell your what it is, it's either coffee, chocolate, or cinnamon.

>yfw it's actually semen