Cook steak in smoking hot cast iron pan that retains heat extremely well

>cook steak in smoking hot cast iron pan that retains heat extremely well
>put in butter to baste
>it doesn't burn

HOW? When I do this, the butter turns brown way too quickly and starts to burn.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5foRYt-x16A?t=584
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Here's how I do it:

- Charge your cast iron pan on your highest burner at the highest setting for like 10-15 minutes
- When you're ready to cook the steak, take the pan completely off the heat
- Add the steak and sear the first side. There will be plenty of residual heat to get a really good crust.
- Flip, let it brown for approximately half the time you did on the first side
- Add butter. The pan will still have enough heat to melt and brown the butter but won't be hot enough to scorch it. It also helps if you tilt the pan so all the butter runs down into a pool. Less surface area for the butter means less chance of it burning.
- Baste the steak until you reach your desired temp
- Rest and eat

Try adding a bit of oil to that butter, my man.

Oh wow, never thought of doing that. Thanks, will try. Why do none of the recipes mention this?

Because his method is wrong and he should fucking kill himself

You need to keep it on high heat and stop being retarded and burning your butter

Wow, fascinating insight

Only add butter after you flip your steak once.

The oil in the pan and rendered fat will keep the butter from burning.

They dont start with butter. You start with oil.

Is 100% right and every restaurant and chef Ive worked under does it like this. Though i keep the heat on but I lower it.

Also there is the oven method, you start it in the oven until the temp you want and then fast sear for the crust

Voted for best, serious most sense reply of the month. Rare occasion. Agree with this person.

Kick this one in the balls if they have them

Don't do this it creates mustard gas

>They dont start with butter. You start with oil.
Yes, I am aware of that and it is clear that I am based on the OP

whoops

Start will oil you dipshit

Clarified butter is probably unlikely to burn as easily

this is the correct answer but people in this thread already took a decision on how to make it.

butter won't burn nearly as easily if there is already a high smoke point oil in the pan...

I like the milk proteins on the steak also though and with that included it burns super easy. Not OP here.

>charge your pan
this needs to be a thing

are you using any fat to start with or are you throwing the steak onto a dry pan? You should use a little bit (just enough to coat the pan) of oil or lard.

I put vegetable oil in a hot cast iron pan. I sear the steak on one side and on the second for half the time. I then add the butter to the skillet which burns

i use butter and duck fat 50/50
doesn't burn at 210c

sorry, *clarified butter

>having to pay each time you use the pan
don't give them ideas

Cook the steak over an open flame. Problem solved

Can flyovers be prevented form posting on ck somehow?

Literally baste faster. As long as their is foam it won't burn.

what if I want to taste the meat, not the heat?

There is no reason to add butter to a good steak

Yeah right, because milk protein gives a shit wheter it burns in oil or butterfat. Stop perpetuating this stupid shit

Long vid; don't use the embed.
Here Thomas Keller explains butter basting (albeit he is using a piece of fish, but the technique is the same no matter.)

youtu.be/5foRYt-x16A?t=584

You aren't gonna see really heavy cast iron skillets in a restaurant kitchen. Iron pan "skillets" a la De Buyer, sure, but not fuckhuge unwieldy Lodges. A 14" cast iron with near right-angle edges is just not the right thing for basting like a pro. A lighter iron pan with more obtuse sides is gonna be the right thing or even a stainless pan. Those pans aren't going to retain heat as much, plus part of it is lifting the pan off the heat.

>lifting the pan off the heat

"Lifting" as in tilting, that is.

ITT:

Amerifats struggle with how to add more fat to meat

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>amerifat
fatleaf thank you very much

>Amerifats struggle with how to add more fat to meat

Fuck off piece of shit starving europoor.

This is 'Merica bitches! We eat whateveah we want!

obsessed

>We eat whateveah corporations slop in our trough and tell us that's what we want!

ftfy

Better than the EU deciding the only food fit for human consumption is synthetic nutrient mush and being happy about it.

THICC

It's the same thing nignog, except we get to have 50% petroleum based chemicals with our shit quality mush, and they don't.

O B S E S S E D

also this is just as much a French thing, faggot

Sit next to me on the airplane!

>I like the milk proteins on the steak
I do as well, butter imparts that milky, proteiny flavor profile

PAN

NICE AND CHARGED

>grilling a steak is flyover
what a cucky thing to say

don't you have a shitty coffee house or a protest scene to douchebag around in Mr or Miss coastal urbanite?